View Single Post
      08-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Jonjt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
I don't think points from another state carry over to yours. Just pay the fine, can't be that bad, you weren't going that fast.
It absolutely can.

Many states have reciprocal agreements that allow DMVs to communicate with each other. For example, if you are an NJ license holder and you get a ticket in another state, that other state may be able to send the violation to NJ. You don't get the points for the infraction on your license but, you will get two points for an out of state moving violation. That violation gets put on your driving record and, you insurance company WILL find out. Insurance companies and DMVs keep different records of moving violations. The DMVs expire after 7 years, I believe. The insurance company's never does. So, this guy received a 4-6 point infraction. Unless he beats the ticket, he'll have a 4-6 point infraction on his VA driving record (with the DMV), some kind of moving violation infraction on his PA license (with the PA DMV) and a 4-6 point infraction on his insurance company's record.

OP, call a law firm that deals with traffic violations and let them handle the case. They may be able to get the case tossed on account of some legal technicality. At the least, they will be able to delay the hearing for a year or two and maybe, the ticketing officer will not be able to show up or will not remember the case well enough to defend himself in court. This is a great reason, if and of itself, to make sure you are polite with every officer. You don't want to be a memorable case.

Last edited by Jonjt; 08-11-2013 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0