07-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #13
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee View Post
Before doing an ESS tune I often had pinging which has since totally disappeared and economy has improved.

I tried all brands of premium unleaded and often found BP ultimate to give slightly better results than Shell 98 or Caltex 98.

Has anyone found the same problem or have a preferred fuel?
Pinging was driving me nuts after I filled up with Vortex98 recently. When it was down to a quarter tank, filled up with BP Ultimate, and the pinging is so much better.

I found the following info on another forum:
"Basically there are two types of 98 Octane fuels on the market, high aromatic and low aromatic. In high aromatic fuels the octane is raised by adding benzene derivatives such as Toluene. Low aromatic fuels are produced by refining the fuel to a higher degree so these types of octane boosters are not required. These fuels contain more aliphatic compounds.

Optimax is a high aromatic fuel and BP ultimate is a low aromatic fuel. These fuels behave very differently during the combustion process. Aromatic compounds take longer to burn and tend not to completely burn during the combustion process. This is why you can see soot on the rear of you car when using high aromatic fuels."

Can someone confirm if this is true?
Appreciate 0