02-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #43
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoM3 View Post
I'm with you - people want to see THEIR make and model out there - but balking won't make any difference at this point.

The bigger argument is why'd they screw up so bad with the Z4!? Super soft and no M model is shortsighted, in my opinion.
Why can't we just be happy to see a beautiful BMW out there? It's not like any race cars are what we buy anyway.

If they screwed up with the Z4 it was mainly on the marketing side. But I don't see how that is our problem? Technically they made a great car!

I am biased of course, but to say that the Z4 is as soft as a regular N55 1/3/5-series is simply not true. It is definitely the sportier and stiffer car of that group. And even if you don't care to drive one, at least pop the hood and look at those anti-roll bars. They are on-pair with those of the M-cars, and much bigger than those of a 335i for instance. It will also continue to be sold with the N54 which has won more awards than the M3 V8 (although in a different class with different competition of course).

In conclusion, just because its not a dedicated track car, it's still, from a technical point of view, and as a sporty roadster, nothing to be so ashamed of really.

And allow me to quickly point out. If you pick the stock "M sports" non-adaptive-suspension, swap out the RFTs with some proper track tires, spend 10mins on tuning the ECU to get those 390hp easily available with the N54 then you actually have a car that can set a faster lap time than the M3 convertible. It was never the purpose of the car, but it could, and for a lot less money.

I agree it did not sell well in the US, but again, I do not see how it is our problem if BMW makes a profit on a single model or not.

Last edited by Asbjorn; 02-24-2013 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0