08-07-2011, 02:52 AM   #295
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I have covered this topic many times before.
The simple answer is that US customers especially for the M3 will not give up the car's luxuries and premium features in favour of a stripped out Performance model. Porsche can do that but BMW cannot because there is not near enough customers to warrant the costs in federalizing the car.
SCOTT, your insight is GREATLY appreciated here, and I remember you saying many M3's are purchased fully loaded WITH the sunroof, which is sad to me.
BUT, if you look at all the people who MANY thousands of dollars to mod their cars here, don't you think BMW could come up with, say 500-1,000 buyers of a GTS/CLS type car in the US. They could even keep the engine stock to keep costs down; or maybe "blue print" it if it makes any extra power, though doubtful with modern manufacturing tolerances.

Give us something with real brakes, adjustable suspension, OEM splitter, OEM wing/spoiler or CSL type trunk, lighter exhaust, less content and lighter weight. Maybe make a bolt in half roll bar optional. It shouldn't cost BMW that much to make such a car since all the parts are already develped for the car. I understand the current //M buyer is not much of an enthusiast, but Audi has the RS like, MB has the Black Series and BMW doesn't have anything like that.
BMW didn't expect the original M3 to sell like it did, and now it's an icon.

PS. Any reason why colored stiching is so much money? Don't they make the seats right before the car is ready for them. Does it cost that much to throw in a different color thread?

Thanks again for all your insight.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0