BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
cgoldie187
New Member
 
Drives: n/a
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ny

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

M3 vs 2010 Carrera s

hey guys,

looking to get either a 2011 e92 with the DCT, or a 2010 carrera S with PDK. so far, it seems the M3 will run about $55k, with the C2S at about $65k-$70k. I don't plan on tracking the car, so do you think the Porsche is worth the $15k premium? Would be a second car for weekend driving only.

I know there are already 100 threads like this, but ive pretty much read all of them and I still cant decide.

thanks
cgoldie187 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
TheAxiom
Dyno whore
 
Drives: E90 6Spd ZSP
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tampa Florida

Posts: 1,276
iTrader: (1)

Get the BMW.
__________________
Style 161s 8.5 Square, Euro Intake with K&N, Cyba Scoops, 3 Stage manifold, OE tune.
TheAxiom is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
cgoldie187
New Member
 
Drives: n/a
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ny

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Get the BMW.
Can you elaborate on why?

Thanks!
cgoldie187 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
TheAxiom
Dyno whore
 
Drives: E90 6Spd ZSP
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tampa Florida

Posts: 1,276
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoldie187 View Post
Can you elaborate on why?

Thanks!
Of course - you don't track the car, so the Porsche's superior specifications will probably not be noticed on the street. It would really come down to the intangibles, and it's hard to justify the Porsche's price as a fun car over the M3 - especially when ownership cost are factored in.
__________________
Style 161s 8.5 Square, Euro Intake with K&N, Cyba Scoops, 3 Stage manifold, OE tune.
TheAxiom is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
cgoldie187
New Member
 
Drives: n/a
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ny

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Of course - you don't track the car, so the Porsche's superior specifications will probably not be noticed on the street. It would really come down to the intangibles, and it's hard to justify the Porsche's price as a fun car over the M3 - especially when ownership cost are factored in.
Thanks man. I'll look, the thing for me is that I would want to modify the M3 with an exhaust, which would just be about $5k+ that I don't think I could recoup when I sold it. Whereas with the Porsche, stock is just fine with me.
cgoldie187 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
TheAxiom
Dyno whore
 
Drives: E90 6Spd ZSP
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tampa Florida

Posts: 1,276
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoldie187 View Post
Thanks man. I'll look, the thing for me is that I would want to modify the M3 with an exhaust, which would just be about $5k+ that I don't think I could recoup when I sold it. Whereas with the Porsche, stock is just fine with me.
That seems overpriced for what it is (a glorified muffler) but yes, you can always sell the muffler second hand to recoup some of the cost. I say drive them both, the answer will be much more clear to you.




Why am I in this side of the forum?
__________________
Style 161s 8.5 Square, Euro Intake with K&N, Cyba Scoops, 3 Stage manifold, OE tune.

Last edited by TheAxiom; 07-15-2014 at 07:51 PM.
TheAxiom is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2014, 07:51 PM   #7
TheAxiom
Dyno whore
 
Drives: E90 6Spd ZSP
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tampa Florida

Posts: 1,276
iTrader: (1)

This forum is acting screwy.
__________________
Style 161s 8.5 Square, Euro Intake with K&N, Cyba Scoops, 3 Stage manifold, OE tune.
TheAxiom is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #8
cgoldie187
New Member
 
Drives: n/a
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ny

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
This forum is acting screwy.
Lol, my thread got moved. Yeah good point, I'll test drive them next month and see which I connect with more.
cgoldie187 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #9
adamb1226
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Texas

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I just bought a 2011 m3 dct competition package. I have driven both cars as I work for a high-end luxury manufacturer (Porsche being one of them) and for the money, I am absolutely in love with my car!!!!
adamb1226 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #10
cgoldie187
New Member
 
Drives: n/a
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ny

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamb1226 View Post
I just bought a 2011 m3 dct competition package. I have driven both cars as I work for a high-end luxury manufacturer (Porsche being one of them) and for the money, I am absolutely in love with my car!!!!
How many miles and what did you pay? Also what warranty did yours come with?
cgoldie187 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #11
adamb1226
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Texas

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
it has 20k miles and it was listed at $49,900... warranty is almost out, it has about 3 months left.. the photo of it is in my profile.
adamb1226 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #12
Sedan_Clan
California Highway Patrolling
 
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 11,186
iTrader: (25)

I'd go with the BMW in this case.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2014, 10:42 PM   #13
cgoldie187
New Member
 
Drives: n/a
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ny

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamb1226 View Post
it has 20k miles and it was listed at $49,900... warranty is almost out, it has about 3 months left.. the photo of it is in my profile.
How is it so far? any issues? i heard the gas mileage is shit, but my main concern is DCT lag. Is there any lag time between when you pull the paddle to when the shift actually initiates?
cgoldie187 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2014, 11:57 PM   #14
Desert_Fox
Drop-Top Turbo
 
Desert_Fox's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335is E93
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 378
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to Desert_Fox Send a message via Skype™ to Desert_Fox
I vote for the Porsche 911. The M3 has better creature comforts, is more comfortable, and is more practical... all the reasons you need to not get it! Keep those characteristics for the daily driver, the weekend car is about having fun- and I think the 911 will be more fun. The M3 is a very nice car, but sorta just an enhanced 3 series at the end of the day... the 911 is in a class of its own, and will undoubtedly be the highlight of your weekend mornings. Also, the stereo is awful in the 911; just the excuse you need to turn it off and rev it up for your drives!
__________________
Current 2013 BMW 335is E93 [Mineral White] [Coral Red] DCT, Premium Pkg, Convenience Pkg, Nav, Heated Seats, HK, BMW Apps
Retired 2007 BMW 335i E93 [Sparking Graphite][Coral Red] Steptronic, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Navigation, Active Steering, Logic 7, Comfort Access, CF Trim
Desert_Fox is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #15
BrewRifle
Lieutenant
 
BrewRifle's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Austin, Texas

Posts: 507
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
You should be able to get a 2011 M3 for +/- 50k and spend another $1,000-$4,000 on a complete used exhaust system (whether you go test pipes and a rear or x-pipe and rear). You could also score a used one with an aftermarket exhaust on it as well.

I couldn't be happier with my 2011 DCT M3 after the tunes. Make sure to get the DCT GTS software, it's night and day better than the stock configuration.

If you wanted to go even crazier, look at a early model 997 GT3 =)
__________________
2011 MCB E92 M3
BrewRifle is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #16
414hpbabyshuttle
Private
 
Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: nova

Posts: 96
iTrader: (0)

I never understood these threads.

A car is so personal. If I had the means and did not need the back seat I would daily drive a gt3 , carrera gts or cs2.
414hpbabyshuttle is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #17
gtron
powerhouse
 
gtron's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 550iX M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 1,110
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 Porsche  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Get the BMW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoldie187 View Post
Can you elaborate on why?

Thanks!
because bmw forum. lol


but imo (check sig), you have to drive both and whichever one speaks to you at the time is the one you get.

both are great cars but very different.
__________________
14' 981 Porsche :: S :: Black on Black
14' Lexus IS250 :: F-Sport :: Grey / Black
12' F10 BMW 550i :: Carbon Black :: Cinnamon Brow Int :: M-Sport - Retired
08' E90 335xi :: Black :: Black Int - Retired
07' E90 335i :: Black :: Black Int - Retired
gtron is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #18
tito_gsx
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90 M3 & 997S
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

Definitely go for the 911 if its a weekend car. I've owned both and love both as well but only reason I went M3 was for the functionality and having to haul my kid to daycare

M3 is the best all around car for everyday driving in all seasons. 911 is best all around sports car but doesn't have enough function to do everything...
tito_gsx is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #19
PhillyNate
BMWCCA #405750
 
PhillyNate's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia

Posts: 1,992
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Here is a vid. Not a great one. Different years than what you're looking at and a 911 C2 NOT C2S but you get the gist...
__________________

"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe (reluctantly sold 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe (retired 06/21/11
)

PhillyNate is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #20
cgoldie187
New Member
 
Drives: n/a
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ny

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Fox View Post
I vote for the Porsche 911. The M3 has better creature comforts, is more comfortable, and is more practical... all the reasons you need to not get it! Keep those characteristics for the daily driver, the weekend car is about having fun- and I think the 911 will be more fun. The M3 is a very nice car, but sorta just an enhanced 3 series at the end of the day... the 911 is in a class of its own, and will undoubtedly be the highlight of your weekend mornings. Also, the stereo is awful in the 911; just the excuse you need to turn it off and rev it up for your drives!

Yeah I'm leaning toward the 911, I just have a feeling I'll overspend to get my perfect one...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewRifle View Post
You should be able to get a 2011 M3 for +/- 50k and spend another $1,000-$4,000 on a complete used exhaust system (whether you go test pipes and a rear or x-pipe and rear). You could also score a used one with an aftermarket exhaust on it as well.

I couldn't be happier with my 2011 DCT M3 after the tunes. Make sure to get the DCT GTS software, it's night and day better than the stock configuration.

If you wanted to go even crazier, look at a early model 997 GT3 =)
I would look into getting an extended warranty into an M3 if I got it, do the DCT tunes and exhaust (if an xpipe is used), void the warranty?

thanks for the replies everyone you're awesome
cgoldie187 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #21
adamb1226
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Texas

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoldie187 View Post
How is it so far? any issues? i heard the gas mileage is shit, but my main concern is DCT lag. Is there any lag time between when you pull the paddle to when the shift actually initiates?
coming out of a vette, i was getting 25 mpg avg. i get around 21 mpg avg now.. i do a lot of highway driving though.... the lag... what lag???? the DCT is incredible!!! this is the first vehicle i have ever owned that did not have a clutch pedal. the shift is so responsive i wish my other cars i have owned had it! i am in love with this car and this is the first car my wife likes too!!! you know what they say, a happy wife is a happy life!!
adamb1226 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #22
TheAxiom
Dyno whore
 
Drives: E90 6Spd ZSP
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tampa Florida

Posts: 1,276
iTrader: (1)

The Porsche is a better car, but for a car that will be a weekend car that won't see a track, the creature comforts of the M3 make more sense.
__________________
Style 161s 8.5 Square, Euro Intake with K&N, Cyba Scoops, 3 Stage manifold, OE tune.
TheAxiom is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST