BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

E92-lighting

06-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #23
Bimmer-M3
Lieutenant

Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
I much prefer the looks of the sedan over the coupe. The couple looks way too much like the regular series model. The sedan looks quite a bit more unique with its front end that is completely different from the series model front. Also keep in mind the sedan is much more rare than the coupe, with about 1 sedan made for every 4 coupes.
Yeah this actually makes like Sedan more. However, I heard leg room in Coupe is more than what it is in Sedan specially for driver. Is that true? I had a 335i sedan before and I didn't have much leg room but when I sit in M3 coupe I felt more comfortable. I am a tall guy (mash'allah) and would like to feel comfortable while driving
      06-13-2014, 09:21 AM   #24
Petros
Captain

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-M3 View Post
Yeah this actually makes like Sedan more. However, I heard leg room in Coupe is more than what it is in Sedan specially for driver. Is that true? I had a 335i sedan before and I didn't have much leg room but when I sit in M3 coupe I felt more comfortable. I am a tall guy (mash'allah) and would like to feel comfortable while driving
To be honest I'm only 5'5" so pretty much anything other than a Lotus Elise has enough legroom for me

I've driven an E93 M3, E92 335i, and of course my E90 M3. I really didn't notice much difference in legroom. You can still move the seat quite a bit backwards in the sedan.
      06-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #25
Amirsm3
Major

Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
To be honest I'm only 5'5" so pretty much anything other than a Lotus Elise has enough legroom for me

I've driven an E93 M3, E92 335i, and of course my E90 M3. I really didn't notice much difference in legroom. You can still move the seat quite a bit backwards in the sedan.
I know these feels, bro.

And OP, you really can't go wrong. Test drive both, if possible, and formulate your own opinion. It's truly a satisfying experience. It took me maybe 4-5 months of serious looking to land on my "perfect-to-me" M3.
      06-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #26
Rbembas_M3
First Lieutenant

Drives: BMW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
I personally like the looks of the coupe way more. Also for me i wont own a M3 without a carbon fiber roof. Its simply way to cool. SO i think we are on two different pages.

I like grey and white. I would go white over grey though.
+1

2011 M3 Coupe, Jerez Black, DCT,EDC,DSC
Rbembas_M3 is offline   United_States
      06-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #27
dmk08
///Maniac

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-M3 View Post
It's definitely true. I owned an 08 6MT Sedan and now have an 11 DCT Coupe. I'm 6'7" and a considerable amount more leg room.
      06-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #28
dmk08
///Maniac

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
E92 is perfectly engineered for cruising with windows down. No buffeting and just the right amount of airflow. You don't need a sunroof on an E92.

Not sure about E90.
The E90 isn't. Opening the sunroof w/ windows down and/or just having the front windows down is brutal. I love cruising in my e92 w/ the windows down. Don't know about the sunroof cause who picks it over CF? :P
      06-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #29
///M3Owner
Lieutenant

Pick the coupe with a carbon fiber roof. Get white or a dark blue
      06-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #30
mimmitt
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 M3

I just bought a coupe 2 weeks ago. I think the sedan actually looks better - however there just aren't that many of them out there (esp. 2009+) and they seem to command a premium. And just try to find an E90 w/ ZCP.....really tough.
      06-14-2014, 12:10 AM   #31
STooK
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

As for looks, e92 hands down. But I don't look at my car from the outside when I'm driving it so I prefer a e93. There is nothing that beats the feeling of driving top down on a summer night. With the top up it's not as easy on the eyes as a e92 but with the top down it looks just as good. E90 is brilliant if you can only have 1 car and need 4 doors. That's what I love about the M3, there's an option for everyone.
STooK is offline   United_States
      06-14-2014, 05:28 AM   #32
LarThaL
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
E92 is perfectly engineered for cruising with windows down. No buffeting and just the right amount of airflow. You don't need a sunroof on an E92.

Not sure about E90.
+1. Even at higher speed, you can enjoy the coupe with windows open. I used to be a big sunroof fan until I owned a 350Z convertible a while ago. After you've owned a convertible, you realize that a sunroof is a waste of time.

I love my Space Gray and it hides dirt extremely well, if that is a consideration.

I think both the sedan and coupe look good. Coupe looks sexier, sedan, more muscular. Performance-wise there is no difference. On the F8x platform, at least from pics, I am partial to the looks of the sedan with its wide flared rear fenders. Still, I have not seen an F8x M in person.

06-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #33
dparm
Major

Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
On the F8x platform, at least from pics, I am partial to the looks of the sedan with its wide flared rear fenders. Still, I have not seen an F8x M in person.

Your gut instincts are dead-on. The M4 is a bit "stretched" looking and isn't well-proportioned, IMO. I saw both the M3 and M4 at the Chicago Auto Show and the M3 looked much better. Even my father, who isn't much of a BMW guy, agreed that the M3 looked more sinister and aggressive.
      06-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #34
Petros
Captain

Here is a pic of my sedan with the seat fully pushed backwards. Seems to me like there is plenty of legroom. Maybe some of you giants here can give us your thoughts
Attached Images

06-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #35
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Here is a pic of my sedan with the seat fully pushed backwards. Seems to me like there is plenty of legroom. Maybe some of you giants here can give us your thoughts
I'm only 5'11", so I don't really have any leg room problems. I do think head room in both cars is a problem with a moon roof, however. I prefer an upright seating position, so maybe that's part of it.

Thanks for posting the pic, but I'm curious, how many miles do you have on your car? The driver's seat looks really rough??!?! Hope mine holds up better. Do you use any leather care products?
      06-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #36
LarThaL
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Your gut instincts are dead-on. The M4 is a bit "stretched" looking and isn't well-proportioned, IMO. I saw both the M3 and M4 at the Chicago Auto Show and the M3 looked much better. Even my father, who isn't much of a BMW guy, agreed that the M3 looked more sinister and aggressive.
Yes!! This is exactly it. It looks too stretched from the behind the doors. I think if it had flared fenders like the sedan, it would have gone a long way to break up the stretch. Still looks good, but will definitely be looking at the 3 over the 4 if I stay with BMW M.

06-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #37
Petros
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE_M3 View Post
I'm only 5'11", so I don't really have any leg room problems. I do think head room in both cars is a problem with a moon roof, however. I prefer an upright seating position, so maybe that's part of it.

Thanks for posting the pic, but I'm curious, how many miles do you have on your car? The driver's seat looks really rough??!?! Hope mine holds up better. Do you use any leather care products?
I agree with the lack of headroom especially with the sunroof. I don't notice it on the road but on the track with a helmet I have to lower the seat a bit so I dont hit the headliner.

My car has 130000 km (so about 80000 mi). I use leather care products from the auto parts store. But nothing really can prevent leather wear and stretching out of the seat bottom, especially with the severe weather we have which alternates between extreme cold and extreme heat.
      06-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #38
Bimmer-M3
Lieutenant

Drives: e90

Quote:
That's not much leg room for me my friend. From this picture I can tell that coupe has more leg room. I have sit in M3 coupe to test drive and definitely has more leg room than even without pushing fully backward. Thanks for posting a picture.
      06-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #39
Amirsm3
Major

Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

I think that's where the 6" of extra length for the coupe comes in.
      06-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #40
Candide13
Private First Class

Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eur0Tech View Post
I passed up on a great buy a 3 month past simply because it was manual, everything else was ideal.
I prefer the vast majority of the m3 coupe aesthetics ( especially rear, and tail lights, or maybe i just dislike the m3 sedan rear that much more ) however, there is something about the sedan I cant stop thinking about. Not just versatility of 2 doors , & As much as i love the CF roof, i prefer a moon roof.
Yet I've only had the opportunity to drive the coupe, maybe its wanting what i haven't' had a chance to experience yet. So wondering if any one has has driven both, or possible lived with both and could provide some insight.

As far as exterior colors are concerned, i i keep battling between Alpine White, Space gray. Any opinions on which color works better between sedan or coupe.

Haven't lived with any of these colors. My past e46 was Titanium silver, So..I've also thought about Silverstone. like it don't love it, yet I know it is a staple BMW color (just has a tad too much blue) Thank you for your thoughts, and look forward to finally pulling the trigger , w/o any buyers remorse!

Also, I cant help but think about inevitable resale value. So any thoughts concerning your experiences in selling,or buying. Cant help but look and think about the f-80 m3
OP, if you are really in the rare position of liking both and not needing the four doors then I'd recommend using this freedom to get the best car for your money in striking distance from where you live. These cars are getting snapped up fast if they are in good nick, and remember that the sedan ceased production in 2011!
Go for it!
      06-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #41
Wilsel

Drives: Currently seeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I think the sedan is better proportioned. It's also a tad cheaper and slightly more rare. Performance is identical to a coupe, so why not?
Me too! Thats what I originally wanted but couldn't find the right one, and ended up buying a coupe. Now I wish I would have had more patience. The coupe is great too though.

OP it is possible to find a coupe with a sunroof, but it could potentially hurt the resale value. I would suggest getting a black interior over any other colors if you care about resale. Some people love fox red, some hate it. AW is the most sought after exterior color, but I would get what YOU like.
      06-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #42
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Not bad for 80,000 miles! Not hating, just curious.FWIW, I use Leather Master and it is the bomb. /end_thread_jack (sorry OP)
      06-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #43
Petros
Captain

Another thing, if you plan to track the car, the sedan has a slightly stiffer frame due to the B pillar and is a bit less front heavy.
      06-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #44
modkrazy
Lieutenant

Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eur0Tech View Post
e90 m3 vs e92 m3
So I have only had the opportunity to drive the coupe. So wondering if any one has has driven both back to back, or the slight possible lived with both and could provide some insight.

As far as exterior colors are concerned, I keep battling between Alpine White, Space gray. Any opinions on which color works better between on sedan or coupe. ( I understand how much come down to a person preference, however some colors just suit a certain cars body differently for better or worse in my opinion.)
Past auto was auto was e46 330xi was Titanium silver, loved it So..I've naturally thought about SilverstoneII. I like it don't love it. For example, it appears dull in overcast lighting. Has just a tad too much blue hue.

Thank you in advanced for comments, and look forward to finally pulling the trigger , (w/o any buyers remorse!)
I much prefer the coupe for the E9X series from an aesthetics stand-point.

Alpine White vs. Space Gray is a tough choice. I love my Alpine White, but it's a very common color. Every time I see a Space Gray I feel buyer's remorse, but then I wash the alpine white and I'm on it again.