BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-10-2014, 04:14 AM   #1
ki_daniel
0
Private
 
Drives: Alpine White E92 Comp
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston/Orlando

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

*REVIEW* BPM Stg 2 Tune - 2012 E92 6mt ZCP: MS Test Pipes+BPM Stg 2

FINALLY, I have some free time!!

My sincere apologies to Mike from BPM for such a late review after he was so quick to help me with the install and any questions I had.
Work was hell but at least I had the M to help relieve some of that stress.



ANYWAYS...on the the review

As I stated above; Mike was excellent with customer service and quick to help me with the install with his busy schedule and then followed up on me a couple weeks later. So that is a 10/10 in my book

Tune installation was a breeze and kinda neat that he can also do that remotely.
I opted for:
CEL delete (even with my 02 spacers)
Steering servo stiffness increase
Retain OEM cold start (I personally love the cold start)
BPM "Launch Assist" (3500rpm)



After the install, I drove it around to let the car adapt. I wasn't expecting anything mind blowing as I a 335i tune.



Initial thoughts; the car does run smoother, and the car definitely pulls harder mid-high range and I actually loose some traction from a 50mph hit in 2nd and chirps the tires shifting to 3rd everytime now

The steering servo was something I didn't want initially but Mike recommended to me saying people loved it.

I'm no race car driver but having been a well experienced auto-x'er and road racing junkie/weekend warrior.
I personally think it is a smidge too tight with MDM (esp at slower speeds) but after driving around a couple weeks, I have gotten used to it and it's not bad at higher speeds.

Other than the steering servo option, I honestly can't say anything against about the tune. To each his own.


By far my favorite option is the Launch assist with the tune!
I rarely do digs, but man is it fun with it!!
At a dead stop....mash the gas and nearly drop the clutch with minor slippage, and it just launches like hell with minimal traction loss!! Very addicting



now for the numbers - Before BPM stg 2
MS test pipes installed with too many 02 spacers installed and running too lean
82F 61%humidity


after driving about 250miles with the tune, I got it dyno'd again:

71F 28%humidity


about 10rwhp gain from 5500rpm-redline
and 10rwtq gain from about 6300rpm-redline

Overall, very happy with the purchase and I would do it again!

only options I really wanted but decided against for warranty reasons was the raised rev limiter to about 8500-8600 and the Euro MDM.


Hope this review was helpful!
ki_daniel is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2014, 06:23 AM   #2
GTB/ZR-1
0
Lieutenant
 
GTB/ZR-1's Avatar
 
Drives: Pending...
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central, FL

Posts: 437
iTrader: (11)

It was--thx.

How much was it?

Seeing you're in Orlando as well, maybe we know each other from AutoX?
__________________
* '11.75 E90/DCT LMB--GOT ONE!
* '06 Mitsu Evo MR SCCA/HPDE Weapon
* '09 Nissan GT-R (Gone)
* '90 ZR-1 (Fast)
GTB/ZR-1 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
BigBoosting
0
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09' M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Savannah

Posts: 352
iTrader: (2)

Good to see another BPM tune dyno

Any other mods? Intake, pulley, x-pipe, rear exhaust?

Any idea of what other M3's have put down on this dyno?
BigBoosting is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
BrewRifle
0
Captain
 
BrewRifle's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Austin, Texas

Posts: 726
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.17]
Very nice! His thread topic says that he also has MS test pipes. Is this on 91 or 93 octane?
__________________
2011 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3 - ESS VT2-625
BrewRifle is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #5
BigBoosting
0
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09' M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Savannah

Posts: 352
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewRifle View Post
Very nice! His thread topic says that he also has MS test pipes. Is this on 91 or 93 octane?
Which is why I didn't ask if he had test pipes.
BigBoosting is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
Trip3's
0
Lieutenant
 
Trip3's's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Long island

Posts: 447
iTrader: (0)

OP I understand not doing the raised rev limiter due to warrantee concerns (I also left speed limiter intact), but IMO you HAVE to do Euro MDM it makes the car so much more fun.
__________________
Trip3's is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
flea333
0
Lieutenant
 
flea333's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 ZCP, LMB, DCT
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Bay Area, CA

Posts: 449
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip3's View Post
OP I understand not doing the raised rev limiter due to warrantee concerns (I also left speed limiter intact), but IMO you HAVE to do Euro MDM it makes the car so much more fun.
I am also looking into a BPM tune. Good to know that raising the speed limit/rev limit voids the warranty, because I was thinking of doing that, but now I won't.

What is the Euro MDM? I never heard of this!
__________________
2013 M3 LMB, DCT, ZCP, Premium, EPS, Bamboo Beige, Apps, sunroof
flea333 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #8
Superfly_M3
0
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 964
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip3's View Post
OP I understand not doing the raised rev limiter due to warrantee concerns (I also left speed limiter intact), but IMO you HAVE to do Euro MDM it makes the car so much more fun.
Agreed. Euro MDM is way nicer than US spec. The traction intervention is not as abrupt, and comes on so subtle you almost don't notice it. Slip angle is higher too. I would not skip this option.

Nice to see another happy customer
Superfly_M3 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
///M Power-Belgium
0
Brigadier General
 
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

Posts: 3,793
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea333 View Post
I am also looking into a BPM tune. Good to know that raising the speed limit/rev limit voids the warranty, because I was thinking of doing that, but now I won't.

What is the Euro MDM? I never heard of this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post


Agreed. Euro MDM is way nicer than US spec. The traction intervention is not as abrupt, and comes on so subtle you almost don't notice it. Slip angle is higher too. I would not skip this option.

Nice to see another happy customer
I was on Euro because my car is(was) Euro/Spec !
I said "was".... and from last year on BPM from Mike and i can tell that BPM...Engine....DCT ,servotronic ect....even the MDM is a lot better than Euro/Spec,so no worries here ,i had Euro and would never go back to it !
BPM all the way,nothing else for me !
Amen !
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
///M Power-Belgium is offline   Belgium
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #10
GTB/ZR-1
0
Lieutenant
 
GTB/ZR-1's Avatar
 
Drives: Pending...
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central, FL

Posts: 437
iTrader: (11)

I thought it was upping the rev limiter & removing speed governor that nixed the warranty, or @ least left tracks.
GTB/ZR-1 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
Mike Benvo
0
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,740
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Very nice, thanks for sharing!

As far as warranty, we've yet to hear about a single claim denial even on cars with raised rev and speed limits. To play extra safe, leave these stock. You can always have it changed in the future. Raising the RPM limit definitely yields more power and makes the car quite a bit faster.

Glad you're enjoying the car, Daniel!
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #12
ki_daniel
0
Private
 
Drives: Alpine White E92 Comp
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston/Orlando

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1 View Post
It was--thx.

How much was it?

Seeing you're in Orlando as well, maybe we know each other from AutoX?
I never actually AutoX'd in FL. Did it for 7yrs and then got addicted to road racing


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoosting View Post
Good to see another BPM tune dyno

Any other mods? Intake, pulley, x-pipe, rear exhaust?

Any idea of what other M3's have put down on this dyno?
I have AA filter and MS scoops now as well


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewRifle View Post
Very nice! His thread topic says that he also has MS test pipes. Is this on 91 or 93 octane?
93 octane
ki_daniel is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #13
R_lara
0
Enlisted Member
 
R_lara's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 2009 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Santo Domingo

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

After getting my ACM Test pipes,BPM stage 2 tune and BPM DCT it's a night and day difference I still retain secondary cats and I really love the sound and call me childish if you like but the 3rd gear chirp really does it for me.

The car ran solid runs12.9@110 & 13.0 109 on a very neglected and slippery track

http://<div class="youtube-playerCon.../iframe></div>

And a pic of the BPM ///M cooling down for another run.
R_lara is offline   Dominican Republic
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #14
R_lara
0
Enlisted Member
 
R_lara's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 2009 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Santo Domingo

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

The pic
Attached Images
 
R_lara is offline   Dominican Republic
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #15
GTB/ZR-1
0
Lieutenant
 
GTB/ZR-1's Avatar
 
Drives: Pending...
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central, FL

Posts: 437
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_lara View Post
The car ran solid runs12.9@110 & 13.0 109 on a very neglected and slippery track
This is the kind of info I'm after. What was MPH prior to tune? Thx

Sorry for hijack!
__________________
* '11.75 E90/DCT LMB--GOT ONE!
* '06 Mitsu Evo MR SCCA/HPDE Weapon
* '09 Nissan GT-R (Gone)
* '90 ZR-1 (Fast)
GTB/ZR-1 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #16
Ezio
0
Colonel
 
Ezio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

Posts: 2,893
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1 View Post
I thought it was upping the rev limiter & removing speed governor that nixed the warranty, or @ least left tracks.
well if you blow a motor, and they look at your cars history. they find the motor had some points on time was reving to 8600RPM. which is far beyond stock limits. IT can raise flags. although when it comes to this stuff. Its about if BMW wants to even look hard enough. personally tuning wouldn't scare me
__________________
Ezio is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #17
R_lara
0
Enlisted Member
 
R_lara's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 2009 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Santo Domingo

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

First time at the drag strip with this car but IsF and stock M3's usually run 13.3 to 13.5 @ 106 to 108 very keep in mind this is a very slippery track as I mentioned before.
R_lara is offline   Dominican Republic
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #18
R_lara
0
Enlisted Member
 
R_lara's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 2009 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Santo Domingo

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

I rev her to 8600 all day long no biggie.
R_lara is offline   Dominican Republic
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #19
GTB/ZR-1
0
Lieutenant
 
GTB/ZR-1's Avatar
 
Drives: Pending...
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central, FL

Posts: 437
iTrader: (11)

Thx gents
GTB/ZR-1 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #20
FogCityM3
2
Lieutenant Colonel
 
FogCityM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,628
iTrader: (0)

Nice! In addition to the perfect servotronic adjustments and feel/driveability of this tune, I have done VERY extensive open road datalogging with this tune and A/F ratios, timing, cam overlap, fueling, and actual moment (torque calculations using BT tool) and everything looks spot on in terms of optimal power production and safety, both using 91 and 100 octane. Can't say enough about how great this product is.

As far as raising RPM limit, I was very surprised to learn that running stock, I had reached 8650+ RPM (per Mike's freeze frame data), so I figured if that happens, why not just keep the rev limit raised!
__________________
BPM Stage I Dev Tune | MPE Cat-Back Exhaust | ATS Superlight 19" Wheels | Essex/AP-Racing Lightweight BBK | Cantrell Motorsports Brake Ducts | Dinan Pulley | Dinan CF Strut Braces | Dinan CF Elbow | Göke Carbontechnik CF Plenum | Technocraft Envy Intake | BMW M Perf E Steering Wheel | BMW CF Splitters/Spoiler/Mirror Caps | M Perf Pedals | M5 Shift Knob | BMW OEM Grills/Gills/Hood Vents
FogCityM3 is online now  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #21
Mike Benvo
0
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,740
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Nice! In addition to the perfect servotronic adjustments and feel/driveability of this tune, I have done VERY extensive open road datalogging with this tune and A/F ratios, timing, cam overlap, fueling, and actual moment (torque calculations using BT tool) and everything looks spot on in terms of optimal power production and safety, both using 91 and 100 octane. Can't say enough about how great this product is.

As far as raising RPM limit, I was very surprised to learn that running stock, I had reached 8650+ RPM (per Mike's freeze frame data), so I figured if that happens, why not just keep the rev limit raised!
Thanks Mark for your feedback.

We greatly appreciate the time you've put into logging the car and sending us results to perfect Stage I on 91 octane gas in Norcal. Our customers working closely with us always helps tailor and deliver the best product to end users. We've been fortunate to work with many great people and shops that provide positive feedback loops to ensure that everything is on point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_lara View Post
After getting my ACM Test pipes,BPM stage 2 tune and BPM DCT it's a night and day difference I still retain secondary cats and I really love the sound and call me childish if you like but the 3rd gear chirp really does it for me.

The car ran solid runs12.9@110 & 13.0 109 on a very neglected and slippery track

http://<div class="youtube-playerCon.../iframe></div>

And a pic of the BPM ///M cooling down for another run.
Nice run! Can't wait to take mine to the strip
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #22
happos2
0
Dingleberries
 
Drives: Gray E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indiana

Posts: 1,177
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Very nice, thanks for sharing!

As far as warranty, we've yet to hear about a single claim denial even on cars with raised rev and speed limits. To play extra safe, leave these stock. You can always have it changed in the future. Raising the RPM limit definitely yields more power and makes the car quite a bit faster.

Glad you're enjoying the car, Daniel!
So you can get Euro MDM with the tune or is that a seperate cable for the coding? If it comes with the the Tune...I will be calling you Mike!
happos2 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST