BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
templarklimek
templarklimek

Drives: 13' X6M, 14' M6 CP, M235 OTW

Shop taking a VERY long time?

Gents,

I decided to try a local performance shop to build a custom full catless exhaust for my M3 as they said they could build it better/cheaper than factory offerings. They have a good local reputation and did an acceptable job for a axle back exhaust for my M6.

They took 2 weeks to get in the parts and now have had my car for almost 3 weeks. They cited problems with the weld, ETC. I'm getting pissed that this has taken so long. Should I be.

A. Pissed, its taking so long
B. Concerned that it may taking so long due to they aren't doing it right or know what they are doing?

Also, I stopped in Friday and saw some of the work. While they custom built the X-pipe and 3 inch tubes I saw they used magnaflow axle-back exhaust and resonators. Should I be worried about that?

I don't need the car but its concerning me... Funny though, they have had it longer than I have, lol. 2013 M3.

2500.00 total for cat delete, full exhaust and Xpipe.

Thanks for your thoughts.
templarklimek is offline   United_States
      06-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
FormulaMMM
Major

Drives: E90 M3

How long did they say it would take in the first place?

Why did you leave the car on site while they were ordering parts? They need it for measuring, etc.?

If they're using a Magnaflow axle back, then it's not exactly a custom system. So 3 weeks then for the front section. http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=all&id=3751 Magnaflow a cause for concern? Not really, but you could have gone that route yourself if you were so inclined. Not many choose Magnaflow over alternatives around here.

No offense, but sounds pretty crazy to me man. $2500 you could have had a full system with known, proven products (especially if used) and completed the install in a couple of hours. Little late now I suppose.
      06-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
THE-FN-MAN
Captain

Drives: E92 M3 x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM
How long did they say it would take in the first place?

Why did you leave the car on site while they were ordering parts? They need it for measuring, etc.?

If they're using a Magnaflow axle back, then it's not exactly a custom system. So 3 weeks then for the front section. http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=all&id=3751 Magnaflow a cause for concern? Not really, but you could have gone that route yourself if you were so inclined. Not many choose Magnaflow over alternatives around here.

No offense, but sounds pretty crazy to me man. $2500 you could have had a full system with known, proven products (especially if used) and completed the install in a couple of hours. Little late now I suppose.
+1
      06-08-2014, 09:55 PM   #4
tinman831
Captain

Drives: M3

A shop isn't going to fabricate their own muffler and resonators in a custom exhaust system. They only did an "acceptable" job or did they do a good job on your previous car?
      06-08-2014, 11:10 PM   #5
M3Carbon
Captain

Drives: 2011 E92 M3, AW/FRE

I agree with previous posts….them having your car for 3 weeks is ridiculous. I'd check the mileage on her for sure. Also, $2500 is way too much for the components being used. You could have bought some reputable components on here for the same or less. Sorry dude, sounds like these dudes worked you a bit.

Instagram @m3carbon
M3Carbon is offline   United_States
      06-09-2014, 02:01 AM   #6
Ezio
Colonel

Drives: 2013 E92 M3

You should have just bought a test pipe for 400 bucks. then have them cut the 2nd cats, and put a pipe there. then do the OEM MOD for the mufflers. and save a grand+
      06-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
Peahi
Captain

Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-FN-MAN View Post
+1
+2!!!

You're gonna have $2500 custom system with a magnaflow? You will have a rusted out $2500 system in a year. I can talk shit about magna flow since I've had one of their exhausts on my truck previously.

That $2500 could have gone towards any one of the many, many exhausts debated around here. Magnaflow shouldn't even appear in the picture. I think you are probably gonna have to cut your losses and step up to one of the M3 exhaust discussion regulars (akra, m3 perf, challenge, ESS, eisenmann, etc.). I hope you can bail out somehow and get your car back. Nothing against your local shop, but come on man!
      06-09-2014, 06:39 PM   #8
Sered
Lieutenant

Drives: 09 E93 M3 6MT

Not sure of the system, but Magnaflow mufflers are quite good. Better quality than most of the expensive systems around here.

FYI, Magnaflow sells custom parts, so one can actually build an exhaust system, not just buy their pre-built. Most exhaust shops use magnaflow, vibrant, and Burns stainless for their better quality parts.

$2500 is hilariously overpriced though.