BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

ESS Tuning

06-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
iron_man
do you even lift?

Drives: '08 e92 m3

Took my m3 to the track today

So a buddy of mine is a member out at NOLA motors ports and invited me to come have a free track day. I've always wanted to take my car out there but have yet to do it. So I did and my first session I had an instructor ride with me to teach me the track. By the end of the day I was putting down equal times and one lap I went half a second faster, than my buddys in their fr500s. I fell in love with this car all over again. It's such an incredible machine.
      06-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
Petros
Major

Drives: M3

going to the track is so much fun and much more enjoyable than street driving. once you go there you will want to go back again and again.
      06-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #3
///WeissBlitz76
First Lieutenant

Drives: '13 E92 ZCP M3

Did you make any special preparations to your car, iron_man, or did you just go?
///WeissBlitz76 is offline   United_States
      06-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
WinterSoldier
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 E92 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WeissBlitz76 View Post
Did you make any special preparations to your car, iron_man, or did you just go?
Yeah, tell us more...great story, I'd like to do the same w/ mine.

Forza Michael!!
WinterSoldier is offline   United_States
      06-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
iron_man
do you even lift?

I just went. Didnt know I was supposed to make special preparations please elaborate. I have stoptech pads. But I feel a slight vibration now in my steering wheel at about 75+
      06-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
FormulaMMM
Major

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_man View Post
I just went. Didnt know I was supposed to make special preparations please elaborate. I have stoptech pads. But I feel a slight vibration now in my steering wheel at about 75+
Probably lost a wheel weight or two. Check the fronts and see if any are missing. Wheel barrels get hot and the adhesive melts, that's why track regulars tape the weights down.

At the risk of drawing the ire of the non-track contingent, I am of the opinion after driving the M3 in about every possible road environment, that it cannot be fully appreciated unless also taken out on track. Glad you had a blast.
      06-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
iron_man
do you even lift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Probably lost a wheel weight or two. Check the fronts and see if any are missing. Wheel barrels get hot and the adhesive melts, that's why track regulars tape the weights down.

At the risk of drawing the ire of the non-track contingent, I am of the opinion after driving the M3 in about every possible road environment, that it cannot be fully appreciated unless also taken out on track. Glad you had a blast.
Just looked at the gas station and thats exactly what it is. I lost them on my left front tire. I have drove it hard on the street but I fully appreciated the car yesterday. I had so much fun, especially when I was battling it out with my buddies in their fr500s mustangs and I would gain on them in the corners. I have access to as many FREE track days as I want so I might have to start track modifying my car now. Gosh it was so much fun.

Last edited by iron_man; 06-08-2014 at 10:36 AM.
      06-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
FormulaMMM
Major

Quote:
Just looked at the gas station and thats exactly what it is. I lost them on my left front tire. I have drove it hard on the street but I fully appreciated the car yesterday. I had so much fun, especially when I was battling it out with my buddies in their fr500s mustangs and I would gain on them in the corners. I have access to as many FREE track days as I want so i might have to start track modifying my car now. Gosh it was so much fun
You've been bitten by the bug, and you have access to free track days. Might as well order brakes, wheels + tires, suspension, seats, and strip the interior now.

I've learned the lesson on wheel weights a few times now. Once driving home 3 hrs with my arms going numb due to wheel shudder, the other actually watching the weights fall off in the pits. "tink, tink, tink" as they dropped from the top of the barrel to the bottom.

Aluminum foil tape is what you need to avoid it next time.
      06-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
SOM3
Captain

Drives: SO F80

Quote:
That could also be due to warped rotors. Just throwing it out there.
      06-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #10
///WeissBlitz76
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Yeah, this is all I meant. Lots of guys on here will tell you that you need to do all this stuff (such as modifying your suspension, lose weight, etc) before you go to the track, but at a bare minimum most guys say that you need to upgrade pads. I am totally jealous that you have access to as many free track days as you want!
      06-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
FormulaMMM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3 View Post
That could also be due to warped rotors. Just throwing it out there.
Very unlikely. Rotors the quality of OE BMW or equivalent basically don't warp. If getting brake feedback, pad deposits are the cause. Deposits don't create steering wheel feedback in my experience.
      06-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #12
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72

Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Very unlikely. Rotors the quality of OE BMW or equivalent basically don't warp. If getting brake feedback, pad deposits are the cause. Deposits don't create steering wheel feedback in my experience.
+1
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
      06-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #13
stuypegleg

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 (CIC & LCI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM
Quote:
Just looked at the gas station and thats exactly what it is. I lost them on my left front tire. I have drove it hard on the street but I fully appreciated the car yesterday. I had so much fun, especially when I was battling it out with my buddies in their fr500s mustangs and I would gain on them in the corners. I have access to as many FREE track days as I want so i might have to start track modifying my car now. Gosh it was so much fun
You've been bitten by the bug, and you have access to free track days. Might as well order brakes, wheels + tires, suspension, seats, and strip the interior now.

I've learned the lesson on wheel weights a few times now. Once driving home 3 hrs with my arms going numb due to wheel shudder, the other actually watching the weights fall off in the pits. "tink, tink, tink" as they dropped from the top of the barrel to the bottom.

Aluminum foil tape is what you need to avoid it next time.
Would it be the same type used for HVAC ducting? Or is there some special Al tape? Thanks.
      06-08-2014, 11:17 PM   #14
s85e90
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuypegleg View Post
Would it be the same type used for HVAC ducting? Or is there some special Al tape? Thanks.
Yes ac duct tape
      06-09-2014, 04:20 AM   #15
M3 Pilot
First Lieutenant

Drives: 13' E92 M3 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WeissBlitz76 View Post
Yeah, this is all I meant. Lots of guys on here will tell you that you need to do all this stuff (such as modifying your suspension, lose weight, etc) before you go to the track, but at a bare minimum most guys say that you need to upgrade pads. I am totally jealous that you have access to as many free track days as you want!
I once had a bare minimum.

A year later that minimum was a full rollcage, 2kg fire extinguisher, battery kill switch, first aid kit, all sound insulation removed.
M3 Pilot is offline   Australia
      06-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #16
wildwestm3
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 M3 Convertible

Quote:
Just looked at the gas station and thats exactly what it is. I lost them on my left front tire. I have drove it hard on the street but I fully appreciated the car yesterday. I had so much fun, especially when I was battling it out with my buddies in their fr500s mustangs and I would gain on them in the corners. I have access to as many FREE track days as I want so I might have to start track modifying my car now. Gosh it was so much fun.
LOL - I love the term "free track days". You may get on the track for free, but tracking your car will be anything but free. Brakes and tires alone will take the "free" out of free track days...

Dave
      06-09-2014, 09:17 AM   #17
FormulaMMM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestm3 View Post
LOL - I love the term "free track days". You may get on the track for free, but tracking your car will be anything but free. Brakes and tires alone will take the "free" out of free track days...
Free track time = more $ for tires and brakes
      06-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #18
///WeissBlitz76
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Free track time = more $ for tires and brakes
Amen, and even if I didn't push it all the time, and only drove 5/10 - 7/10s, it would still be more fun than street driving!
      06-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #19
Candide13
Private First Class

Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Also, did you get track insurance? Normal insurance will not cover you on the track. I found that the insurance is the most expensive part of track days.
      06-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #20
JRV
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candide13
Quote:
Also, did you get track insurance? Normal insurance will not cover you on the track. I found that the insurance is the most expensive part of track days.
Where do you get this insurance?
JRV is offline   United_States
      06-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #21
FormulaMMM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
Where do you get this insurance?
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=hpde+insurance

I've used this group in the past --

http://www.ontrackinsurance.com/