BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
VF-Engineering
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
kevin///mlee
Lieutenant
kevin///mlee's Avatar
21
Rep
512
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mountain View, CA

iTrader: (7)

The ModeCarbon Experience - Space Grey E90 M3

Welcome to the review of my overall experience with ModeCarbon.

I'm sure you all are familiar with their brand because their products/service are nothing short of amazing and everyone on this board seems to be talking about them! I have had their V1 GTS lip on my car for the past few months and I am very pleased with it. It is subtle and OEM looking, yet it gets the attention it deserves everywhere I go. I receive many compliments on the lip no matter where I am. In my opinion, the V1 is the cleanest front lip available for the E9X M3 as it does not look out of place and is not overly aggressive or low. It suits the OEM front bumper as if it were meant to be there from the start. The carbon weave is OEM quality and the lip arrived packaged well and completely flawless.

The customer service was great. I wasn't sure which lip to go with, but Sam directed me towards the V1 for my use. I didn't want it too low, it had to be street friendly. Once I installed it, I could instantly tell I made the right decision based on Sam's advice.

Coming from my previous lip, my car has way more ground clearance than it used to. I used to scrape on driveways, dips, etc. in the road with my modest drop on B&G springs, but the ModeCarbon lip is completely different. I can finally drive my car with confidence again! No more worrying about clearing my own driveway every day when I come home from work.

The fitment of the ModeCarbon piece is spot on as well. It did not come pre-drilled, but there is no second guessing where to drill the holes (the lip has elevated markers that match the holes on the OEM bumper). A bit of 3M double sided tape and a drill were all that was needed to fit. It's been on my car for months and has been rock solid since day 1 as there is plenty of mounting surface to go crazy with the tape. I couldn't have asked for a smoother install and the fitment is great. There are no ugly gaps between this piece and my bumper.

My car isn't just a street car either; it sees its share of track duty as well. The lip has held up great up to speeds of 130 MPH+. It is a cosmetic piece, but I'm sure it does help (minimally) at operating speeds on the track. It is a great piece for a dual duty car. Here are some recent photos of my car with the lip installed.. Enjoy, and thanks again Sam@ModeCarbon!









__________________
Akrapovic | AngeliBright | APEX | Hankook | IND | JRZ RS1 | Macht Schnell | Mode Carbon | Vorsteiner
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
10
Rep
885
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (6)

Looks great and I like your rims!!

Same experience with Mode Carbon here!!

You can add the V2 portion anytime you want and honestly the clearance is almost the same as the V1. I have never scratched anything and my drive way is elevated too.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
Sam@ModeCarbon
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Sam@ModeCarbon's Avatar
853
Rep
101,252
Posts


Drives: using 3 pedals
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY l LA

iTrader: (2)

Thanks for the kind words Kevin, very much appreciated! Hope to see you at Speeddistrict this weekend!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
dumpm3
Second Lieutenant
6
Rep
212
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin///mlee View Post
Welcome to the review of my overall experience with ModeCarbon.

I'm sure you all are familiar with their brand because their products/service are nothing short of amazing and everyone on this board seems to be talking about them! I have had their V1 GTS lip on my car for the past few months and I am very pleased with it. It is subtle and OEM looking, yet it gets the attention it deserves everywhere I go. I receive many compliments on the lip no matter where I am. In my opinion, the V1 is the cleanest front lip available for the E9X M3 as it does not look out of place and is not overly aggressive or low. It suits the OEM front bumper as if it were meant to be there from the start. The carbon weave is OEM quality and the lip arrived packaged well and completely flawless.

The customer service was great. I wasn't sure which lip to go with, but Sam directed me towards the V1 for my use. I didn't want it too low, it had to be street friendly. Once I installed it, I could instantly tell I made the right decision based on Sam's advice.

Coming from my previous lip, my car has way more ground clearance than it used to. I used to scrape on driveways, dips, etc. in the road with my modest drop on B&G springs, but the ModeCarbon lip is completely different. I can finally drive my car with confidence again! No more worrying about clearing my own driveway every day when I come home from work.

The fitment of the ModeCarbon piece is spot on as well. It did not come pre-drilled, but there is no second guessing where to drill the holes (the lip has elevated markers that match the holes on the OEM bumper). A bit of 3M double sided tape and a drill were all that was needed to fit. It's been on my car for months and has been rock solid since day 1 as there is plenty of mounting surface to go crazy with the tape. I couldn't have asked for a smoother install and the fitment is great. There are no ugly gaps between this piece and my bumper.

My car isn't just a street car either; it sees its share of track duty as well. The lip has held up great up to speeds of 130 MPH+. It is a cosmetic piece, but I'm sure it does help (minimally) at operating speeds on the track. It is a great piece for a dual duty car. Here are some recent photos of my car with the lip installed.. Enjoy, and thanks again Sam@ModeCarbon!









nice car bro. GTS endurance series is next on my mod list
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 02:07 AM   #5
M3ANMACHINE
Hella Functional
M3ANMACHINE's Avatar
United_States
63
Rep
2,117
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mission Viejo, CA

iTrader: (6)

Awesome!
My GTS Endurance lip is arriving Monday!
__________________

--- E90 ///M3 - AW - 6MT - APEX - Bimmerworld - BMW Performance - Dinan - Evolve - IND - KW - PFC - Recaro - Vorsteiner ---

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
1M_@teewhybs
Lieutenant
1M_@teewhybs's Avatar
9
Rep
588
Posts

Drives: E82
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.17]
+1 for mode carbon would not let anything else touch my car
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
kevin///mlee
Lieutenant
kevin///mlee's Avatar
21
Rep
512
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mountain View, CA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-S65 View Post
Looks great and I like your rims!!

Same experience with Mode Carbon here!!

You can add the V2 portion anytime you want and honestly the clearance is almost the same as the V1. I have never scratched anything and my drive way is elevated too.
Thanks! Which rims are your favorite?

I may do the V2 in the future but I love the clean look of the V1 so much haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@ModeCarbon View Post
Thanks for the kind words Kevin, very much appreciated! Hope to see you at Speeddistrict this weekend!
No problem Sam, keep it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpm3 View Post
nice car bro. GTS endurance series is next on my mod list
Thanks man, I'd love the GTS endurance series, but my car already had a CF diffuser on the back so I had to get this one to match

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post
Awesome!
My GTS Endurance lip is arriving Monday!
Pics when installed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M_@teewhybs View Post
+1 for mode carbon would not let anything else touch my car
Glad to hear you had the same experience I did

ModeCarbon knows what they're doing!
__________________
Akrapovic | AngeliBright | APEX | Hankook | IND | JRZ RS1 | Macht Schnell | Mode Carbon | Vorsteiner
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 03:28 AM   #8
Edward
Colonel
United_States
82
Rep
2,612
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

How many holes need to be drilled into the stock bumper? Is it possible or advisable to install the V1 without drilling the bumper?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #9
kevin///mlee
Lieutenant
kevin///mlee's Avatar
21
Rep
512
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mountain View, CA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward
How many holes need to be drilled into the stock bumper? Is it possible or advisable to install the V1 without drilling the bumper?
There are 7 holes in the bottom of the bumper already. You just have to remove the fasteners, line up/mark the lip where the holes are, and drill the lip. Then you can use the stock fasteners without drilling additional holes in the bumper. 3M double sided tape should be used to complement the 7 fasteners.
__________________
Akrapovic | AngeliBright | APEX | Hankook | IND | JRZ RS1 | Macht Schnell | Mode Carbon | Vorsteiner
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #10
ApolloTheGod
Captain
15
Rep
858
Posts

Drives: S85 E92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (8)

Good review! Nice ride
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #11
M3ANMACHINE
Hella Functional
M3ANMACHINE's Avatar
United_States
63
Rep
2,117
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mission Viejo, CA

iTrader: (6)

Kevin, what are your ride heights?
__________________

--- E90 ///M3 - AW - 6MT - APEX - Bimmerworld - BMW Performance - Dinan - Evolve - IND - KW - PFC - Recaro - Vorsteiner ---

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 06:38 PM   #12
kevin///mlee
Lieutenant
kevin///mlee's Avatar
21
Rep
512
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mountain View, CA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post
Kevin, what are your ride heights?
13" front and 13.5" rear (center cap to center of the fender). That's what they ended up being after installing the JRZs, but I really need to get the car corner balanced because the rear looks a tad too high. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I think that I'd leave the fronts alone and try to corner balance by only adjusting the rear down to where it needs to be.
__________________
Akrapovic | AngeliBright | APEX | Hankook | IND | JRZ RS1 | Macht Schnell | Mode Carbon | Vorsteiner
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 05:05 PM   #13
Alex@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Alex@AUTOcouture's Avatar
242
Rep
4,240
Posts


Drives: M4 Signal Green
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CA

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011.75 E90 BMW M3  [3.83]
2011 bmw/ m3  [0.00]
The mode is a solid piece, i ran both on my previous e90 and e92, the gts and the gt4,
car looks great btw
__________________
AUTOcouture Motoring West |
14212 Oxnard Street
Van Nuys, CA 91401
818-849-6282 Alex@autocouturemotoring.com
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #14
Emm Tree
Private
11
Rep
73
Posts

Drives: M3 bro
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Space Gray e90. YUM.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 02:49 PM   #15
cenix
First Lieutenant
cenix's Avatar
United_States
57
Rep
349
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 ZCP, F15
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (2)

Does ModeCarbon make a low gloss or flat urethane or frp V1 lip?

What are your alignment settings? Car looks great!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 04:22 PM   #16
kevin///mlee
Lieutenant
kevin///mlee's Avatar
21
Rep
512
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mountain View, CA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post
Does ModeCarbon make a low gloss or flat urethane or frp V1 lip?

What are your alignment settings? Car looks great!
Yes, they make both the V1 and V2 lips in FRP, dubbed the "Endurance Series". Here is a link to their official thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970548

Camber specs: -3.2 front and -2 rear
__________________
Akrapovic | AngeliBright | APEX | Hankook | IND | JRZ RS1 | Macht Schnell | Mode Carbon | Vorsteiner
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2015, 11:13 PM   #17
duvinclunk
First Lieutenant
duvinclunk's Avatar
7
Rep
355
Posts

Drives: On the search.
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SLC, UT

iTrader: (0)

Looks stellar. Need more pictures!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 03:49 AM   #18
Emm Tree
Private
11
Rep
73
Posts

Drives: M3 bro
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Needs more GTS wing.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #19
kevin///mlee
Lieutenant
kevin///mlee's Avatar
21
Rep
512
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mountain View, CA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emm Tree View Post
Needs more GTS wing.
Funny you mention that. Since my original post, I've also added the Mode Carbon rear spoiler (I know it's no GTS wing, but I'm not sure how that would look on an E90 anyways, love this look though). Great experience with Sam from Mode Carbon once again!





Can't beat OEM quality and fitment at a fraction of the cost
__________________
Akrapovic | AngeliBright | APEX | Hankook | IND | JRZ RS1 | Macht Schnell | Mode Carbon | Vorsteiner
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:16 PM   #20
Emm Tree
Private
11
Rep
73
Posts

Drives: M3 bro
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin///mlee View Post
Funny you mention that. Since my original post, I've also added the Mode Carbon rear spoiler (I know it's no GTS wing, but I'm not sure how that would look on an E90 anyways, love this look though). Great experience with Sam from Mode Carbon once again!





Can't beat OEM quality and fitment at a fraction of the cost
Looking good! Space Gray E90s are the best.

Thoughts on this? http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1157176
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:59 PM   #21
kevin///mlee
Lieutenant
kevin///mlee's Avatar
21
Rep
512
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mountain View, CA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emm Tree View Post
Looking good! Space Gray E90s are the best.

Thoughts on this? http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1157176
I saw it when you first posted it. I DID consider it actually, but I really love the look of the CF tip especially with a matching CF diffuser. They are a bit more subtle than your tips with the red logo, which I like. I think if I were to change up the tips, I'd want to go with an unmodified set of Ti tips. I agree they do look very nice on Space Grey
__________________
Akrapovic | AngeliBright | APEX | Hankook | IND | JRZ RS1 | Macht Schnell | Mode Carbon | Vorsteiner
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST