BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-04-2007, 02:46 PM   #45
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

I agree with everyone expressing the sentiments of frustration.

There is simply so little news and it is typically bad. However, do remember the big picture. BMW wants to sell 100k of these bad boys over its lifetime. They really want to get the cars to NA and get them here as fast as possible as well. Whether you are on a list or not right now, as long as you don't want/need to have one of the first dozen or so cars from each dealer, come April-May supply will be plentiful and prices should be more or less at MSRP.

Personally I just need to keep reminding myself that a similar situation exists for M-DCT. BMW knows that this is the tranny most folks in the US want and they know it is a fairly key technology cornerstone that have to have somewhere in their line up soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 02:49 PM   #46
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Personally I just need to keep reminding myself that a similar situation exists for M-DCT. BMW knows that this is the tranny most folks in the US want and they know it is a fairly key technology cornerstone that have to have somewhere in their line up soon.
I am not so sure about this. Remember what happened with the M5/M6 and SMG? I guess my point is that the preferences of the majority of the members of this board--based on the poll--might not be reflective of the US consumer base in general.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #47
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!
FifthStreetz's Avatar
United_States
193
Rep
15,559
Posts

 
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
Thanks for the comfort swamp, i agree with you after letting myself cool off a lil bit.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 02:54 PM   #48
abhagat
New Member
1
Rep
24
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Another update from my guy:

I still think the base price will be in the 50s, mid to upper. I do believe you will have the availability to put at least 10k worth of factory options on the car. You have been loaded on the order bank as of this morning.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #49
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!
FifthStreetz's Avatar
United_States
193
Rep
15,559
Posts

 
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhagat View Post
Another update from my guy:

I still think the base price will be in the 50”s, mid to upper. I do believe you will have the availability to put at least 10k worth of factory options on the car. You have been loaded on the order bank as of this morning.
niceeee, that is good news to hear. And congrats~

One question...lets say that M-DCT will be released with launch, if i am not in the "order bank" now, would that affect when i will get the car? Assuming that i will be able to get the first batch to the public.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 03:07 PM   #50
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
niceeee, that is good news to hear. And congrats~

One question...lets say that M-DCT will be released with launch, if i am not in the "order bank" now, would that affect when i will get the car? Assuming that i will be able to get the first batch to the public.
Your dealer can make changes to your specs all the way unto the beginning of production I think.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #51
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!
FifthStreetz's Avatar
United_States
193
Rep
15,559
Posts

 
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Your dealer can make changes to your specs all the way unto the beginning of production I think.
ok thanks, so i guess maybe i should email or call my dealer and ask him to put me into the order bank? Are you in the system yet Lucid?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 03:11 PM   #52
dab33d
Private First Class
United_States
4
Rep
143
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 AW/FR M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SoCAL

iTrader: (0)

wow is this right? I just put in my order last week and I checked the bmw my owner's circle and it is currently under "order accepted"

From my understanding, the dealership that I have ordered from is in the middle of nowhere California. 1 hour from SB and is fairly small. And they said I got their first car. Perhaps, they have had great customer feedback and BMWNA decided to base it on this to give them 1 of the first 54 allocations?

Fairly confused, My dealer also said that I should be receiving my car 60 days from last week, which would mean very early february. is this possible. is this how long it usually takes to take delivery after the order is confirmed?

I swear, whether it be waiting for pricing, waiting for an allocation, or now waiting for the car.... we have all been doing way too much waiting !
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #53
gasman
Member
gasman's Avatar
15
Rep
505
Posts

 
Drives: 08 RR Sport SC, 08 AW/FR M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

I just got off the phone with my SA. He confirmed the 54 first round allocations and that he only recieved one "dealer" allocation as well. He did tell me that come Dec 26th, he'll be getting his second round of allocations for late february or early march delivery. He still has no info on pricing or M-DCT. The only good news was he said that I will fall into the second round of allocations. I"m praying, like a lot of you, that M-DCT will be out by then. IF not, then I guess it's back to waiting game....GRRRRRRRRR!!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #54
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I am not so sure about this. Remember what happened with the M5/M6 and SMG? I guess my point is that the preferences of the majority of the members of this board--based on the poll--might not be reflective of the US consumer base in general.
I think the poll is right in line with general US opinion. Although this probably does not happen that often comparing early adopters and serious enthusiasts to the herds. Remember that automatics are much more popular in the US than in many (most?) other countries. We are known for the "lazy American" stereotype, which is actually fairly accurate. We do like and buy a LOT of automatic trannys here. The good thing about DCT is that it lets all the non-enthusiasts have what is essentially an automatic in the M3 and at the exact same time it gives all the performance and technology junkies and true track fiends a great transmission solution as well. Trust me BMW wants to get this tranny in the US ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #55
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
172
Rep
11,194
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I think the poll is right in line with general US opinion. Although this probably does not happen that often comparing early adopters and serious enthusiasts to the herds. Remember that automatics are much more popular in the US than in many (most?) other countries. We are known for the "lazy American" stereotype, which is actually fairly accurate. We do like and buy a LOT of automatic trannys here. The good thing about DCT is that it lets all the non-enthusiasts have what is essentially an automatic in the M3 and at the exact same time it gives all the performance and technology junkies and true track fiends a great transmission solution as well. Trust me BMW wants to get this tranny in the US ASAP.
Especially in the 4-door and Convertible...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #56
Epacy
Reincarnated
Epacy's Avatar
88
Rep
4,227
Posts

 
Drives: 02 Maxima SE
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I just got off the phone with my SA. He confirmed the 54 first round allocations
Uh huh, now where are all those doubters now???
Don't hear anything from you anymore.......
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 05:02 PM   #57
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I think the poll is right in line with general US opinion. Although this probably does not happen that often comparing early adopters and serious enthusiasts to the herds. Remember that automatics are much more popular in the US than in many (most?) other countries. We are known for the "lazy American" stereotype, which is actually fairly accurate. We do like and buy a LOT of automatic trannys here. The good thing about DCT is that it lets all the non-enthusiasts have what is essentially an automatic in the M3 and at the exact same time it gives all the performance and technology junkies and true track fiends a great transmission solution as well. Trust me BMW wants to get this tranny in the US ASAP.
Then why was the US the only market which demanded a 6MT on the M5/M6? I do, however, agree that a significant portion of the US consumers will want an "automatic" M3. Not everyone sees this car the way we see it on this forum. There will be plenty of people using it to drive down to the grocery store and around town and not do more with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 06:03 PM   #58
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!
FifthStreetz's Avatar
United_States
193
Rep
15,559
Posts

 
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
There will be plenty of people using it to drive down to the grocery store and around town and not do more with it.
:raisehand

But i will take it to the track at least once, but for the most part it will be DD.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 06:14 PM   #59
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
172
Rep
11,194
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Then why was the US the only market which demanded a 6MT on the M5/M6? I do, however, agree that a significant portion of the US consumers will want an "automatic" M3. Not everyone sees this car the way we see it on this forum. There will be plenty of people using it to drive down to the grocery store and around town and not do more with it.
My impression is that there was no "demand" as such... BMWNA came up with the 6-Speed (a car slower and less involving than the SMG, according to magazine tests) as a sales band-aid when the M5 initially did not move as expected... and still doesn't, regardless of the transmission.

For me, M-DCT is a better solution (to appeal to automatic customers while even attracting considerable manual customers) than SMG.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #60
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Uh huh, now where are all those doubters now???
Don't hear anything from you anymore.......
OK I'll chime in. Nothing has changed. I was very suspicious of the number but never said it was impossible. I also offered my interpretation of why it might be happening. Good job on getting the inside scoop and what seems to be accurate info!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 06:35 PM   #61
Epacy
Reincarnated
Epacy's Avatar
88
Rep
4,227
Posts

 
Drives: 02 Maxima SE
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
OK I'll chime in. Nothing has changed. I was very suspicious of the number but never said it was impossible. I also offered my interpretation of why it might be happening. Good job on getting the inside scoop and what seems to be accurate info!
I was mainly talking about the others who called "BS" and their cute little smilies.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 06:48 PM   #62
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
9
Rep
630
Posts

 
Drives: e90 ///M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab33d View Post
wow is this right? I just put in my order last week and I checked the bmw my owner's circle and it is currently under "order accepted"
Unless the owners circle has changed, you need a VIN #. And being in the USA, I find this next to impossible.

I must call
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #63
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
My impression is that there was no "demand" as such... BMWNA came up with the 6-Speed (a car slower and less involving than the SMG, according to magazine tests) as a sales band-aid when the M5 initially did not move as expected... and still doesn't, regardless of the transmission.
If there was indeed no "demand" at play, then fine. I was under the impression that a significant portion of the US consumers did not want SMG, and insisted on 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 06:52 PM   #64
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweissM3 View Post
Unless the owners circle has changed, you need a VIN #. And being in the USA, I find this next to impossible.

I must call
No, you don't have to have a VIN#. You need a production number OR a VIN#. That was how it was when I bought my current car in 2003.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #65
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
But i will take it to the track at least once, but for the most part it will be DD.
You don't need to take it to the track to have fun with it--especially in CA. There are always isolated fun back roads to be driven. But that is my point; many owners will not even do that.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 09:56 PM   #66
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
9
Rep
630
Posts

 
Drives: e90 ///M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

Ahh...maybe he has a production #.

Back in '01, if I remember correctly, I couldn't follow the progress of my car without the last 6 characters of the VIN.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST