BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #1
kwike92
Major
 
kwike92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 m3 coupe | 2011 STi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mission Viejo, Ca

Posts: 1,490
iTrader: (6)

So my m3 is making a little bit of a squealing noise when the brakes are applied, I pulled the wheels off and the pads are definately not new, but still have plenty of life left. It looks like the sensor is a little loose and is causing the squeal.



Do you normally just replace the sensor considering the pads appear to be fine?

Thanks in advance for your comments and help,

-Eric
__________________
2009 E92 M3- basic mods, future track car.
2011 Subaru STi daily driver- Stock, for now...
kwike92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2014, 06:50 AM   #2
FormulaMMM
Major
 
FormulaMMM's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest

Posts: 1,302
iTrader: (1)

Never heard of the sensor causing squeal. Typically if that's making contact you're low on pad and going to trigger the brake warning light.

Sensor is loose as in a bit of play back and forth in the pad slot, or loose as in you can actually see it contacting the rotor?

OE pads? Unless you're sure it's the sensor, suggest you try bedding. Warm the brakes then 10 aggressive, consecutive stops from 60. Squeal can develop sometimes after consistent everyday driving, light application.
__________________
DCT E90 M3: Akrapovic Slip-On, Stoptech ST-40 Front + Pagid RS29 | Stock Rear + Stoptech SP, Apex EC-7 18x10 ET25 + Nitto NT01 275/35/18 (for track), tbd...
Past: Velos Designwerks Tune, Megan Racing Catback then Akrapovic Evolution, Macht Schnell Filter
FormulaMMM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
kwike92
Major
 
kwike92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 m3 coupe | 2011 STi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mission Viejo, Ca

Posts: 1,490
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM
Never heard of the sensor causing squeal. Typically if that's making contact you're low on pad and going to trigger the brake warning light.

Sensor is loose as in a bit of play back and forth in the pad slot, or loose as in you can actually see it contacting the rotor?

OE pads? Unless you're sure it's the sensor, suggest you try bedding. Warm the brakes then 10 aggressive, consecutive stops from 60. Squeal can develop sometimes after consistent everyday driving, light application.
Just a little play in the slot of the pad.

What I'll probably end up doing is taking the calipers off to really look inside the pads etc. I just took the wheels off and looked through the calipers.
__________________
2009 E92 M3- basic mods, future track car.
2011 Subaru STi daily driver- Stock, for now...
kwike92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
FormulaMMM
Major
 
FormulaMMM's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest

Posts: 1,302
iTrader: (1)

Did you try some hard braking first?
__________________
DCT E90 M3: Akrapovic Slip-On, Stoptech ST-40 Front + Pagid RS29 | Stock Rear + Stoptech SP, Apex EC-7 18x10 ET25 + Nitto NT01 275/35/18 (for track), tbd...
Past: Velos Designwerks Tune, Megan Racing Catback then Akrapovic Evolution, Macht Schnell Filter
FormulaMMM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
Chris__B
New Member
 
Chris__B's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E34 540i/6 M-Technik
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)

As has been said, re-bedding the pads will usually help as the pad transfer layer has probably been worked off over time. Just make sure to warm up the brakes steadily, work them until they get hot enough to start fading slightly, then cool them off for at least a mile with no braking (if possible). By the time the fully cool off overnight, the brakes should feel more effective and much, if not all, of the squeal should be gone. If there is no change in the noise, best to have a pro take a look.

The sensor does not need to be replaced unless the warning light on the dash has been lit.

Chris
Chris__B is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2014, 11:33 PM   #6
kwike92
Major
 
kwike92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 m3 coupe | 2011 STi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mission Viejo, Ca

Posts: 1,490
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Did you try some hard braking first?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__B View Post
As has been said, re-bedding the pads will usually help as the pad transfer layer has probably been worked off over time. Just make sure to warm up the brakes steadily, work them until they get hot enough to start fading slightly, then cool them off for at least a mile with no braking (if possible). By the time the fully cool off overnight, the brakes should feel more effective and much, if not all, of the squeal should be gone. If there is no change in the noise, best to have a pro take a look.

The sensor does not need to be replaced unless the warning light on the dash has been lit.

Chris

thanks for the feed back guys.
__________________
2009 E92 M3- basic mods, future track car.
2011 Subaru STi daily driver- Stock, for now...
kwike92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

Posts: 3,355
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Sensors do not cause any form of brake squeal. Try some hard braking as it has been suggested.
__________________

BMW PERFORMANCE SPECIALISTS. Suspension. Forced Induction. Brakes. Race Preparation. Service. Alignments.
OFFICIAL PARTNERS: Íhlins. KW Suspension. Brembo. AP Racing. ESS Tuning. iND Distribution. Turner Motorsport.
Facebook | Instagram | Yelp! | Flikr | Contact | YouTube
Malek@MRF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #8
kwike92
Major
 
kwike92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 m3 coupe | 2011 STi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mission Viejo, Ca

Posts: 1,490
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek@MRF
Sensors do not cause any form of brake squeal. Try some hard braking as it has been suggested.
Thank you Malek.
__________________
2009 E92 M3- basic mods, future track car.
2011 Subaru STi daily driver- Stock, for now...
kwike92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
Mike@velosdesignwerks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: BMW F32
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Miami

Posts: 283
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Mike@velosdesignwerks
If your pads aren't loose then you probably need to refill your calipers with grease. Just look for the valve.
__________________
Mike@velosdesignwerks is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST