BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Bimmerworld
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
336
Rep
2,943
Posts

Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

iTrader: (22)

Challenger SRT Hellcat

This looks like it'll be interesting. S/c'ed 6.2L Hemi, 600+ HP. Wonder how much it weighs....


Last edited by whats77inaname; 05-20-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Bear From Jax
Typical 335i Owner
Bear From Jax's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
827
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alpharetta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Hmmm... now to see what Shelby does with the new Mustang.....
__________________

E92 335i | AW/BL | JB4 G5 ISO | DCI | SLD | Catless Dps | Vanguard Exhaust | Bilstein B12 | Alpine MSS HiD Halos | More to come

If speed is death, then buy a Honda and live forever
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
Ezio
Brigadier General
Ezio's Avatar
United_States
161
Rep
3,824
Posts

Drives: 2015 Z51 c7
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear From Jax
Hmmm... now to see what Shelby does with the new Mustang.....
The gt500 already has 62 hp on this car. So my guess is it will have more power.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
336
Rep
2,943
Posts

Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
The gt500 already has 62 hp on this car. So my guess is it will have more power.
Interested in seeing a weight comparison, and that the final numbers are on the Hellcat. Everyone's been doing that lately, the "600+", where they're not revealing final numbers until they're practically ready to roll off the line....trying not to tip their hand, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
s85e90
Brigadier General
114
Rep
3,631
Posts

Drives: black e90
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: everywhere

iTrader: (2)

Cool, but still a big, heavy, goofy, poorly built Mopar.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
Brosef
Brigadier General
Brosef's Avatar
United_States
589
Rep
3,348
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 - 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (3)

it's almost comical to see the juxtaposition in how American cars are evolving relative to the rest of the world. while the German makes are figuring out how to cut down on displacement while making gains in power, the American manufacturers continue to push the envelope on just how badass a stock V8 can get.

I would probably never buy a challenger because (1) it's too big and handles accordingly, (2) I don't care for the styling, (3) it's not all that roomy or practical for its size, among other reasons... but I love what they're doing with elevating the hp wars here in America.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
Nordstat
Lieutenant
United_States
16
Rep
528
Posts

Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

HP is cheap compared to building a wholly competent automobile, hence the American vs Rest-of-World car comparison. In general, US autos are lagging, simply adding HP to antiquated designs and technology to keep up in the race. Of course exceptions exist, but in general...
__________________
2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S - FOR SALE
2010 BMW M3 (e90) - SOLD
2005 Corvette C6 - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #8
GreeKon
It ain't gonna suck itself
GreeKon's Avatar
18
Rep
817
Posts

Drives: 2010 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA

iTrader: (1)

Doesn't sit right. It's too tall and skinny. Needs to be lower and wider....looks like its on stilts.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 10:35 PM   #9
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
phrozen06's Avatar
75
Rep
1,698
Posts

Drives: 08 M3 DCT, 08 VW R32
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 3927'33"N 7758'04"W W. Virgina, Kansas

iTrader: (2)

sounds like they're trying to answer the Z06
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #10
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
65
Rep
835
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (1)

Another exciting option put out by the Americans.

Seems to me many BMW and M drivers for that matter are a little soft around the midsection and prefer the softer eco cars that BMW is putting out these days.

Thats why we are getting watered down products from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #11
knolow
Captain
knolow's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
772
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Jersey

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post
Another exciting option put out by the Americans.

Seems to me many BMW and M drivers for that matter are a little soft around the midsection and prefer the softer eco cars that BMW is putting out these days.

Thats why we are getting watered down products from BMW.
I second. BMW seems to be confused in my opinion. Almost every American sport car has a track dedicated car ie Boss 302, ZL1 Camaro, and the Vette Z06 has the on track option. I have yet to hear an M have this.
__________________
2009 E93 M3 Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 11:17 PM   #12
ToothDoc
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
241
Posts

Drives: 997.2 TTS, CLA 45 AMG
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicagoland

iTrader: (0)

I like this car. I might get one for the wife and kids to rumble around in. My wife doesn't turn fast, she just likes to mash the gas. Maybe we'll get rid of the X5M and use the Hellcat for a family car.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 11:21 PM   #13
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
146
Rep
3,041
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: El Segundo, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
The gt500 already has 62 hp on this car. So my guess is it will have more power.
Not to mention almost 450lbs lighter than this car.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow VMRV810 19x10&19X11 275/295 Mich PSS.
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 11:23 PM   #14
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
146
Rep
3,041
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: El Segundo, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordstat View Post
HP is cheap compared to building a wholly competent automobile, hence the American vs Rest-of-World car comparison. In general, US autos are lagging, simply adding HP to antiquated designs and technology to keep up in the race. Of course exceptions exist, but in general...
This isn't the case so much anymore. The new Z28 with its 305 front tires is a wonderful track toy. Also the new Mustang is going to be a force to be reckoned with. The new Mustang GT is quoted by Ford in being faster than the Boss 302 around Laguna Seca which was already a smidgen faster than the E92 M3. This is just the lowly GT, lets see what the GT350 will have in store. If the Mustang Gt is going to have almost as much hp as the outgoing Boss at 445hp I can't wait to see what the GT350 will have.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow VMRV810 19x10&19X11 275/295 Mich PSS.
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 05:02 AM   #15
paddy335
Major
43
Rep
1,125
Posts

Drives: M140i(soon);X5 40d
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
it's almost comical to see the juxtaposition in how American cars are evolving relative to the rest of the world. while the German makes are figuring out how to cut down on displacement while making gains in power, the American manufacturers continue to push the envelope on just how badass a stock V8 can get.

I would probably never buy a challenger because (1) it's too big and handles accordingly, (2) I don't care for the styling, (3) it's not all that roomy or practical for its size, among other reasons... but I love what they're doing with elevating the hp wars here in America.
It is a fascinatingly unique market eh, North America. I love reading about the cars you guys put out, entertaining, brash, and extremely masculine. There are keen small communities of late-model American high-po cars all over the world (certainly an active community down here), but they never gain huge attention or competitiveness against euro options like M3, C63 etc, probably cos they don't cost much less.

Doesn't help that gas is about $9 a gallon here (and more in other parts of the world).
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #16
Nordstat
Lieutenant
United_States
16
Rep
528
Posts

Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordstat View Post
HP is cheap compared to building a wholly competent automobile, hence the American vs Rest-of-World car comparison. In general, US autos are lagging, simply adding HP to antiquated designs and technology to keep up in the race. Of course exceptions exist, but in general...
This isn't the case so much anymore. The new Z28 with its 305 front tires is a wonderful track toy. Also the new Mustang is going to be a force to be reckoned with. The new Mustang GT is quoted by Ford in being faster than the Boss 302 around Laguna Seca which was already a smidgen faster than the E92 M3. This is just the lowly GT, lets see what the GT350 will have in store. If the Mustang Gt is going to have almost as much hp as the outgoing Boss at 445hp I can't wait to see what the GT350 will have.

Dave
How many come with an interior to be proud of i.e. not predominantly plastic and other cheap materials? How many come with multiple suspension, drivetrain, and throttle settings? I know we are talking different price ranges for some of these cars, but the "American way" is still derivative of the same formula. When a Honda Fit or Accord has a comparably stylish interior to a boss mustang, I start to have a problem.

Your comment about the mustangs proves my point: add more HP to get around a track faster. Sure minors suspension tweets and all, but these are, in general, very heavy cars that aren't getting any lighter. Yea Boss kept up with / edged out the M3 on a track with a professional driver. Try that with weekend warriors and I would guess a different story as the M3 inspires more confidence than a mustang. As a package you get a hell of a lot more car in the M3 (as you should for the extra $). Z28 is purpose built as a track car: different story (and a cool one).

For example, look at the anemic tire options on the camero, charger, challenger, and mustang lineups and that will tell you how "track ready" they are. Relatively narrow for straight line performance, not wide for lateral grip. Eventually, this formula will not work in the marketplace. Just not yet.

I know the USA is improving their cars... I just don't know if it is actually "keeping up."
__________________
2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S - FOR SALE
2010 BMW M3 (e90) - SOLD
2005 Corvette C6 - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #17
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
radiantm3's Avatar
United_States
446
Rep
4,289
Posts

Drives: 2007 Honda S2000
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.66]
2014 BMW i3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
This isn't the case so much anymore. The new Z28 with its 305 front tires is a wonderful track toy. Also the new Mustang is going to be a force to be reckoned with. The new Mustang GT is quoted by Ford in being faster than the Boss 302 around Laguna Seca which was already a smidgen faster than the E92 M3. This is just the lowly GT, lets see what the GT350 will have in store. If the Mustang Gt is going to have almost as much hp as the outgoing Boss at 445hp I can't wait to see what the GT350 will have.

Dave
I wouldn't call any car over 3200-3300 lbs a track toy.
__________________
2011 E92 M3(Sold). 2007 Honda S2000 (Track Car). Cayman GT4 (Daily + Track Car)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #18
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
336
Rep
2,943
Posts

Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordstat View Post
Your comment about the mustangs proves my point: add more HP to get around a track faster. Sure minors suspension tweets and all, but these are, in general, very heavy cars that aren't getting any lighter.
I don't know if I'd call going from a solid rear axle to a multi-link rear suspension a "minor suspension tweak" *lol*.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #19
pgviper
Captain
United_States
131
Rep
711
Posts

Drives: X3 xdrive35i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LI / BK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordstat View Post
How many come with an interior to be proud of i.e. not predominantly plastic and other cheap materials? How many come with multiple suspension, drivetrain, and throttle settings? I know we are talking different price ranges for some of these cars, but the "American way" is still derivative of the same formula. When a Honda Fit or Accord has a comparably stylish interior to a boss mustang, I start to have a problem.

Your comment about the mustangs proves my point: add more HP to get around a track faster. Sure minors suspension tweets and all, but these are, in general, very heavy cars that aren't getting any lighter. Yea Boss kept up with / edged out the M3 on a track with a professional driver. Try that with weekend warriors and I would guess a different story as the M3 inspires more confidence than a mustang. As a package you get a hell of a lot more car in the M3 (as you should for the extra $). Z28 is purpose built as a track car: different story (and a cool one).

For example, look at the anemic tire options on the camero, charger, challenger, and mustang lineups and that will tell you how "track ready" they are. Relatively narrow for straight line performance, not wide for lateral grip. Eventually, this formula will not work in the marketplace. Just not yet.

I know the USA is improving their cars... I just don't know if it is actually "keeping up."
Most people who buy american performance aren't anal about the interior. The interior is good enough to not annoy you and be functional but thats about it. Number one priority is to never see the tailights of another car. This means 1/4 mile racing, standing mile racing, road racing, autocross, etc... This has been the mentality since the muscle car wars back in the 60's and 70's. It is also the mentality of the muscle car wars going on right now between Chevrolet, Ford and Dodge.

By the way, the e92 M3 was no lightweight. Neither is any AMG car or M5, etc...

The new mustang is said to have shed some of its weight which was already nothing to complain about, the 2016 camaro is said to be on the alpha platform which the current ATS uses and look at how performance oriented that car is. Dodge has the viper... what else is there to say about that lol.

At the end of the day, different strokes for different folks. I personally rather win a race than lose one and say, "well at least I have a better interior".
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #20
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
65
Rep
835
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (1)

LOL some of these posts prove my point.

American cars are too hard for a lot of the guys on here. They need their heated seats and buttons that do everything for them so they talk on their blue tooth on their way to get their de-caffeinated skinny latte's from Starbucks.

BMW cant even put out a single performance dedicated car. Ford and GM have multiple options for enthusiasts and people who need their creature comforts. Id rather brag about my HP numbers and the sound that comes out of my exhaust than how many MPG's I get and my leather interior. Some of you sound like Prius drivers.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #21
Petros
Banned
47
Rep
1,382
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canada

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post
LOL some of these posts prove my point.

American cars are too hard for a lot of the guys on here. They need their heated seats and buttons that do everything for them so they talk on their blue tooth on their way to get their de-caffeinated skinny latte's from Starbucks.

BMW cant even put out a single performance dedicated car. Ford and GM have multiple options for enthusiasts and people who need their creature comforts. Id rather brag about my HP numbers and the sound that comes out of my exhaust than how many MPG's I get and my leather interior. Some of you sound like Prius drivers.

I agree. It seems modern M and AMG cars are geared more for rich soft dickheads who just wanna pose than towards any real driving enthusiasts. All those fools ranting about interior quality on performance cars just make me wanna
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #22
swanson
Convicted Felon
swanson's Avatar
150
Rep
1,869
Posts

Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post
LOL some of these posts prove my point.

American cars are too hard for a lot of the guys on here. They need their heated seats and buttons that do everything for them so they talk on their blue tooth on their way to get their de-caffeinated skinny latte's from Starbucks.

BMW cant even put out a single performance dedicated car. Ford and GM have multiple options for enthusiasts and people who need their creature comforts. Id rather brag about my HP numbers and the sound that comes out of my exhaust than how many MPG's I get and my leather interior. Some of you sound like Prius drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post

I agree. It seems modern M and AMG cars are geared more for rich soft dickheads who just wanna pose than towards any real driving enthusiasts. All those fools ranting about interior quality on performance cars just make me wanna
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST