BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #23
Vic311
Banned
United_States
19
Rep
1,469
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiesback View Post
Kinda weak and biased review... dude complained so much about the exhaust tone, we get it! it's a turbo inline 6 against a NA V8, does he know that?
The most interesting part of his review, when he says how bad the throttle response is on the M4 but you get 120 ft lbs instead.

I guess there really is no such thing as a free lunch.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 08:15 PM   #24
tinman831
Captain
10
Rep
813
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DFW

iTrader: (0)

In the video, the brake discs are cracked like crazy. Is that normal? You can see it at 2:55
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #25
JRV
Captain
United_States
12
Rep
659
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bedford, NY

iTrader: (1)

I have a feeling the Merc twin turbo V8 will sound almost or just as menacing as the previous model referencing the spy clips.
How in the world does GM produce a V8 that gets 28 mpg? Competitors should take note or Is it really about lowering cylinder and displacement count in Europe now?
__________________
'11 Black/Black GLK350 (Wife)
'04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 (My beater)
'11 Loaded AW Fox Red/Black/Black Carbon Leather ZCP E90 M3 (Halloween Delivery)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 08:28 PM   #26
Z K
Colonel
Z K's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,401
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post

Truth is this new turbo engine probably addresses the majority of buyers more than the S65 did. Maybe not the majority of us forum dwellers and enthusiasts, but prospective buyers. It's more stunning in the looks department, modern gadgetry, and the speed sensation arrives more immediately. I remember when the E9X first came out and guys at the dealer told me that test drivers were often more impressed with the 335 than M3. They revved both to 5k rpm.
I can agree with that. I was more impressed with the 335i than the M3 when you drive around town and do things you normally do in a test drive. The low end torque and power is addicting.

The M3 is something that feels so much better when you understand the powerband and take it out for laps on a track. Unfortunately not many people do that or understand that.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #27
JRV
Captain
United_States
12
Rep
659
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bedford, NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post

Truth is this new turbo engine probably addresses the majority of buyers more than the S65 did. Maybe not the majority of us forum dwellers and enthusiasts, but prospective buyers. It's more stunning in the looks department, modern gadgetry, and the speed sensation arrives more immediately. I remember when the E9X first came out and guys at the dealer told me that test drivers were often more impressed with the 335 than M3. They revved both to 5k rpm.
I can agree with that. I was more impressed with the 335i than the M3 when you drive around town and do things you normally do in a test drive. The low end torque and power is addicting.

The M3 is something that feels so much better when you understand the powerband and take it out for laps on a track. Unfortunately not many people do that or understand that.
What you both said was 100% true for me. I had a 335i and test drove the M3 and was scratching my head thinking the 335i was easier to drive. I then realized I had to stop driving it like the 335i and pushed the RPMs. It was like a light bulb turned on.
__________________
'11 Black/Black GLK350 (Wife)
'04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 (My beater)
'11 Loaded AW Fox Red/Black/Black Carbon Leather ZCP E90 M3 (Halloween Delivery)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #28
Ezio
Brigadier General
Ezio's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
3,339
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

there are days when i come home. when i say to my self maybe i am the one whos fuked up not liking these powerful trubo engines. then when i sit down on my couch, open my latop to read the forums. when i find professional car reviewers say things that i also feel. i then feel i am not fuked up after all. just seeing a about to be last gen C63 AMG being loved more than the newest M3. it really says somthing about this era we are entering. it sucks
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #29
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
phrozen06's Avatar
43
Rep
1,619
Posts

Drives: 08 M3 DCT, 08 VW R32
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 3927'33"N 7758'04"W W. Virgina, Kansas

iTrader: (2)

Well..........if I want another V8 coupe, I'll just get an M6. They'll be priced competitively when the leases are up in a few years. At least bmw still makes production V8's.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #30
MrPrena
Civilian
MrPrena's Avatar
United_States
38
Rep
456
Posts

Drives: M3, Avalon (damaged), Nissan
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

I would like to see w205 C63 AMG VS M4/3 F3x
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 09:32 PM   #31
socalm3lover
Second Lieutenant
7
Rep
211
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
I have a feeling the Merc twin turbo V8 will sound almost or just as menacing as the previous model referencing the spy clips.
How in the world does GM produce a V8 that gets 28 mpg? Competitors should take note or Is it really about lowering cylinder and displacement count in Europe now?
They get 28 mpg by gearing it to run 1400 rpm at freeway speeds. You downshift if you want any acceleration. The corvettes also make a lot more torque with engines that are 100-200 cubic inches larger, so the rpm is not as critical.

John
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #32
Antonio1988
Captain
Antonio1988's Avatar
15
Rep
641
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Videos like this are simply confirming what most of the forum going M owners were already growing weary of. I've already driven a 435 with all bolt ons and I cannot see how this car will be monumentally different. This is really the nail in the coffin and I will be keeping my E92 M3 until my warranty runs out and then paying a visit to my friends over at AA :-)
__________________

2012 BMW E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #33
swanson
Convicted Felon
swanson's Avatar
51
Rep
1,673
Posts

Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalm3lover View Post
They get 28 mpg by gearing it to run 1400 rpm at freeway speeds. You downshift if you want any acceleration. The corvettes also make a lot more torque with engines that are 100-200 cubic inches larger, so the rpm is not as critical.

John
Yep. I used to cruise at 80 on the highway while only turning 1600RPM in 6th gear in my Z06. I used regularly see 28+MPG. What a car that was.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #34
Kung Fu English
Second Lieutenant
Kung Fu English's Avatar
6
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: 2013 Interlagos Blue M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kalamazoo, MI

iTrader: (2)

I think the turbo will be more fun at low speeds around town while giving up the same things he said. You only need to be at 3-5k to enjoy the turbo thrust instead of 5-8k like in the E92. It's slower at that range, but it feels faster due to the turbo kick.

Track performance will overall be similar in numbers but maybe not as fun to some.

This is a plus/minus situation. Good for some and not as good for others.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 10:33 PM   #35
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
10
Rep
885
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
there are days when i come home. when i say to my self maybe i am the one whos fuked up not liking these powerful trubo engines. then when i sit down on my couch, open my latop to read the forums. when i find professional car reviewers say things that i also feel. i then feel i am not fuked up after all. just seeing a about to be last gen C63 AMG being loved more than the newest M3. it really says somthing about this era we are entering. it sucks
The big V8 is kinda like when Nirvana and the alternative groups died off and now all we have is pop crap....(pop being turbos..lol) ...at least there is still Chevelle......
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 10:42 PM   #36
Alex07M3
Banned
50
Rep
2,692
Posts

Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gatineau

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-S65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
there are days when i come home. when i say to my self maybe i am the one whos fuked up not liking these powerful trubo engines. then when i sit down on my couch, open my latop to read the forums. when i find professional car reviewers say things that i also feel. i then feel i am not fuked up after all. just seeing a about to be last gen C63 AMG being loved more than the newest M3. it really says somthing about this era we are entering. it sucks
The big V8 is kinda like when Nirvana and the alternative groups died off and now all we have is pop crap....(pop being turbos..lol) ...at least there is still Chevelle......
lol, I like your comparison, really true, just like pop music, the new Ms are made to attract a wider audience!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 10:45 PM   #37
NashvegasR
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
168
Posts

Drives: 09 M3 e93 DCT, 07 335i e92 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nashville TN

iTrader: (2)

Does the M4 have the M drive button

Dumb question (maybe). Does the M4 have "M" button that sharpens up throttle response? If so -- I think it might fix his "throttle response" comment. I know I felt the exact same way about my M3 until I figured out what the "power" and "M" buttons did.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #38
Ezio
Brigadier General
Ezio's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
3,339
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvegasR View Post
Dumb question (maybe). Does the M4 have "M" button that sharpens up throttle response? If so -- I think it might fix his "throttle response" comment. I know I felt the exact same way about my M3 until I figured out what the "power" and "M" buttons did.
there are different settings. and BELIEVE me these tests are in the highest settings. its normal for a turbo to not have the throttle response that a N/A engine has.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 10:52 PM   #39
Alex07M3
Banned
50
Rep
2,692
Posts

Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gatineau

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvegasR
Dumb question (maybe). Does the M4 have "M" button that sharpens up throttle response? If so -- I think it might fix his "throttle response" comment. I know I felt the exact same way about my M3 until I figured out what the "power" and "M" buttons did.
I think what he meant about the throttle response was that the S55 does'nt react as sharply as the S65 to throttle inputs because of the lag(as tiny as it may be) the turbos creates!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #40
klammer
Brigadier General
43
Rep
3,245
Posts

Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-S65
Wait ...the M4 sounds like this....





I used to own a Dodge SRT4 even this POS car that cost around 12k now....sounds better STOCK than the new M4...!!!

It's funny cause it's true
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #41
Kurt_OH
Captain
Kurt_OH's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
734
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

It's not that the new M is bad. It's just no longer special. It's only a souped up 335i.

What drew me to M was how special they were. The sound and unique high Rev and instantaneous, almost telepathic throttle response. This is what separated them from the crowd. Clearly they're more comfortable joining the crowd. The special is gone and I'm gone with it. I'll keep my E90 until it must go, then find something else special.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #42
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
lsmkr01's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
1,642
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SC

iTrader: (0)

Never thought I'd see the day
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #43
sgrinavi
First Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
320
Posts

Drives: 2014 Cayman S & 2013 328i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SW FL

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 328i  [0.00]
2014 Porsche Cayman S  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
Well there's no doubt the S65 is a filthy, fuel gulping pig. It's magnificent and I love it, and no way considering a new M3/4. That turbo truck motor holds no appeal to me.

Throttle response and sound are important to me; they play a significant role in my enjoying the car on the street and track.
Right on, last thing I look at when I buy a performance vehicle is fuel economy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
I have a feeling the Merc twin turbo V8 will sound almost or just as menacing as the previous model referencing the spy clips.
How in the world does GM produce a V8 that gets 28 mpg? Competitors should take note or Is it really about lowering cylinder and displacement count in Europe now?
The new GM tech is to shut down half the motor when you're cruising. Its been around a while. That and keep the damn car light.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
It's not that the new M is bad. It's just no longer special. It's only a souped up 335i.

What drew me to M was how special they were. The sound and unique high Rev and instantaneous, almost telepathic throttle response. This is what separated them from the crowd. Clearly they're more comfortable joining the crowd. The special is gone and I'm gone with it. I'll keep my E90 until it must go, then find something else special.
I prefer an N/A motor too, but the M's are still pretty special, they have a ton of goodies that the 335 doesn't, including CF parts, a different motor, transmission and suspension
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #44
dsm918
Major
84
Rep
1,299
Posts

Drives: Planning 2016 F80 ED
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA

iTrader: (1)

I just don't dig the front end of the newer BMW's. I know they did this to comply with some euro safety regulations but I can't get over that dipping hood. Hate to say this but in this video, the C63 is way sharper looking than the M4.
__________________
=========================
2009 E90 M3 SG/Blk
2003 E46 M3 (Manual)
1992 AWD Mitsu Eclipse (Manual) - 11.84@118 mph
1990 Nissan 300ZXTT
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:53 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST