BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Lux Angel Eyes

05-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
surewin
///M3mber
United_States
Rep

Drives: AW '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
X5 M and X6 M not developed by BMW M GmbH?

I'm not sure if anyone here can confirm with credible sources, but I read this in Wikipedia:

"The BMW X5 and X6 sport activity vehicles received M derivatives for the 2010 model year onwards. These are the first M vehicles with xDrive four-wheel drive and automatic transmissions, and also the first M-badged SUV models. However, the E70 and E71 X5 and X6 M were actually developed by BMW Group rather than by BMW M."

There wasn't any source for this statement, but the press release of the X5 M and X6 M didn't specifically state that the X5 M or the X6 M were developed in BMW M GmbH:

" Through this industry-first combination of attributes, the M5 redefined the capabilities of a sedan with levels of power, precision, balance, and linear control never before imaginable. Since then, finding new ways to expand the boundaries of what is possible with existing BMW models has been the singular purpose of the craftsmen at BMW M. Now the BMW X5 M and the BMW X6 M are the first all-wheel-drive models to offer the remarkable performance, dynamic driving experience, athletic design, and premium quality of a BMW M product."

BMW press kit describing the 40 years of M:

"M GmbH also posted significant growth in the sale of sports packages which were meanwhile available for the models of the BMW 1 Series, BMW 3 Series, BMW 5 Series and BMW 6 Series, as well as for the BMW X3 and the BMW X5.

This naturally meant that expansion now really started to take off. The high-performance character of automobiles produced by BMW M GmbH was first transferred to the segment of BMW X models with the BMW X5 M and the BMW X6 M in 2009."

Thoughts?

Alpine White | Carbon Fiber Roof | 6-Speed | Inconel M Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
SCOTT26
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre

They were developed and tested by BMW M under Ludwig Willisch the current CEO of BMW North America.
      05-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
Dackelone
Germany
Rep

Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54

They were also the most successful(sales wise) ///M cars of all time! BMW made a ton off of these two models. So it makes a business case for more of these types of products from ///M in the future.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
SCOTT26
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
They were also the most successful(sales wise) ///M cars of all time! BMW made a ton off of these two models. So it makes a business case for more of these types of products from ///M in the future.
Correct. They call the X5M and X6M volume models because they sell in high volume compared to other M models.
In some strategically key markets the X-Ms outsell the other M models by a considerable margin.
      05-16-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
wuzupfoo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 08 Jet Black MTrizz Cpe

which is the reason for cars such as the M235... lol... we will see many more of M badges on all kinds of different cars.. so sad... but inevitable because of the $$$, cant blame them.

This is in no way a bad review of the m235.. I actually like it but didn't like the fact they badged it.. but lets be real it just a 235 sport model..
HRE C20/Remus Race/MS Filter/KWV3/Vorsteiner Diffuser/JL Lip/Murdered Grills/Pinnacle F1 Ceramic/ZCP Wing/Alcantara Wheel/Custom Alcantara Boots/Custom ZCP Shifter/MRF Subframe Bushings/Turner Delrin Diff Bushings
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 11:52 PM   #6
flavius
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzupfoo View Post
..but lets be real it just a 235 sport model..
I haven't driven it yet - kinda hard to find one right now - bury I hear that one is different.

2014 X3 xDrive28i
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 04:45 AM   #7
Levi
Brigadier General
Czech_Republic
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Correct. They call the X5M and X6M volume models because they sell in high volume compared to other M models.
In some strategically key markets the X-Ms outsell the other M models by a considerable margin.
And these cars are more expensive than other traditional and "true" M models like M3 and M5. Shows that the market has
  • no interest in small sport cars, because they'd prefer a Golf GTI/GTD
  • no interest in mid-sized sport cars, because they'd prefer a 911 (which is inferior to a Cayman)
  • no interest in supercars, because they prefer the snobbish Ferrari badge

Too bad for BMW (Z4 M), Audi (Quattro or R4), Honda (S2000), Alfa Romeo (GTV/6C), Toyota (Supra), Mazda (MX- and RX Line), McLaren (P13), and many others.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 01:15 AM   #8
surewin
///M3mber
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzupfoo View Post
which is the reason for cars such as the M235... lol... we will see many more of M badges on all kinds of different cars.. so sad... but inevitable because of the $$$, cant blame them.

This is in no way a bad review of the m235.. I actually like it but didn't like the fact they badged it.. but lets be real it just a 235 sport model..

My sentiments exactly. I understand that BMW needs to do what it needs to do to remain independent, but I feel like actually badging the cars is prostituting the M brand a little too much. I wish they just sold the M235i as a ZHP "Performance Package" like the E46 330i.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
W///
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by surewin View Post

My sentiments exactly. I understand that BMW needs to do what it needs to do to remain independent, but I feel like actually badging the cars is prostituting the M brand a little too much. I wish they just sold the M235i as a ZHP "Performance Package" like the E46 330i.
This is hardly the first time BMW has gone out and used the M badge on a car that's not a "real" M (this is an M535i)

I was on another forum talking about this. BMW comes out with a FWD 2er Active Tourer, everyone revolts. BMW comes out with a small coupe, I6, available with 6MT and everyone freaks out over the M badge and "fake" sound. I know which one I'd be more upset about
      06-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #10
valeram
Major
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 DCT

So M is not the most powerful letter anymore. Auto companies need to evolve in order to survive. They can sell more M package Bimmer than a true M and in doing so, they have more earnings. More money means more research for a better true M, I hope. That is how the Porsche Cayenne saved the 911.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #11
Kyle B
This one goes to 11.
Rep

Drives: E30, E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeram View Post
More money means more research for a better true M, I hope.
Won't happen, at least with Norbert Reithofer running the show. He is clearly laser focused on boosting share price and sales volumes, at just about any cost.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #12
surewin
///M3mber
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
This is hardly the first time BMW has gone out and used the M badge on a car that's not a "real" M (this is an M535i)

I was on another forum talking about this. BMW comes out with a FWD 2er Active Tourer, everyone revolts. BMW comes out with a small coupe, I6, available with 6MT and everyone freaks out over the M badge and "fake" sound. I know which one I'd be more upset about
True- I'm not that upset over the badging because overall, the M235i is still a wonderful car. Heck, it scored 98/100 in the consumer reports.

http://jalopnik.com/consumer-reports...-po-1597915268

The FWD deal, in the other hand, is simply not acceptable- haha

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
W///
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by surewin View Post
True- I'm not that upset over the badging because overall, the M235i is still a wonderful car. Heck, it scored 98/100 in the consumer reports.

http://jalopnik.com/consumer-reports...-po-1597915268

The FWD deal, in the other hand, is simply not acceptable- haha
That I can for sure agree with. They should have just kept FWD with MINI's.