BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

12-06-2007, 12:33 PM   #45
Champagne
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3 Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobr2001 View Post
No pics = no M3! Until we see pics it's all just talk
Hahaa good one

And yes, I've been out driving... almost 60% left until 2000 km service.

I'm heading out now again to show it off to my dad (and kind of thank him haha ), I've been naughty to my baby... Been doing some races, pulling it quite hard... You have really no idea how hard it is not to floor it. Allthough I've actually made it to keep it under 5 500 RPM.

I'll take some pictures in the garage now as well for you, I also have some pictures in my phone that I will post when I bring those "real camera" shots up.

It just gets better and better, and the sound is truly awesome... Incredible! Insane! I tend to keep the window down more then up, and it's 5c in Sweden... Imagine that guys...

The only wierd thing is, that whenever you shift (try this when standing still to eliminate road noise), you can hear something moving in the car. You can hear how the driveline engages. Haven't figured out if there's something wrong or if it's because it's a sportscar... Any thoughts?
Champagne is offline   Sweden
      12-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #46
Big Windy
Major General

Drives: audi s4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne View Post
The only wierd thing is, that whenever you shift (try this when standing still to eliminate road noise), you can hear something moving in the car. You can hear how the driveline engages. Haven't figured out if there's something wrong or if it's because it's a sportscar... Any thoughts?
less than 1000 km and you've already broken it????
Big Windy is offline   United_States
      12-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #47
lucid
Major General

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmtclimber View Post
less than 1000 km and you've already broken it????
Yes, it sounds like it is broken!
lucid is offline   United_States
      12-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #48
Pancho
Commander

Drives: BMW 530i

Weird noise

Yes. I have heard the noise. The car makes the sound only when the clutch is released with the car almost standing still. I asked the mechanic at the dealer at the 2,000 Kms. service and he said that BMW Germany replied it is normal and related to the sport nature of the chassis and clutch.
Pancho is offline   Mexico
      12-06-2007, 01:25 PM   #49
southlight
Moderator / European Editor

Drives: BMW

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what you're meaning. Two possibilites come to mind (none means broken necessarily): When shifting (moving lever) at standing still you hear the gear change, somethink like a muted clicking noise, think that's ok, you shouldn't hear that while driving and not when your windows's up, though. Or do you mean a noise during load change, also normal according to manual.

Best regards, south
      12-06-2007, 01:30 PM   #50
southlight
Moderator / European Editor

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
Yes. I have heard the noise. The car makes the sound only when the clutch is released with the car almost standing still. I asked the mechanic at the dealer at the 2,000 Kms. service and he said that BMW Germany replied it is normal and related to the sport nature of the chassis and clutch.
Oh, another possibility: The clutch seems to make a sliding noise when disengaged.

Best regards, south
      12-06-2007, 01:36 PM   #51
13eastie
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you're meaning. Two possibilites come to mind (none means broken necessarily): When shifting (moving lever) at standing still you hear the gear change, somethink like a muted clicking noise, think that's ok, you shouldn't hear that while driving and not when your windows's up, though. Or do you mean a noise during load change, also normal according to manual.

Best regards, south
It sounds like Champagne is describing something I too have noticed.

At low speeds, closure of the clutch is accompanied by a clunking sound which seems to come from beneath the driver. It does not sound like a particularly healthy sound. Funny thing is that I didn't seem to notice this until I had doen around 400 miles. I mentioned this at the first service when I took my car in, but there was no-one around to talk to me about it when I collected it, so I assumed everything was okay (it continues to make the noise).

Has anyone else noticed this?
13eastie is offline   United Kingdom
      12-06-2007, 01:47 PM   #52
Epacy
Reincarnated

Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
It seems something like this would have been identified in all the trial runs since this tranny is basically the same as the 335i MT.
      12-06-2007, 02:11 PM   #53
Champagne
Second Lieutenant

As promised.
Attached Images

12-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #54
Champagne
Second Lieutenant

More
Attached Images

12-06-2007, 02:22 PM   #55
Champagne
Second Lieutenant

More
Attached Images

12-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #56
abhagat

Drives: E92 335

Very nice. If you get the Novillo without extended leather, is the door wrapped in something other than leather like the picture above?
      12-06-2007, 02:27 PM   #57
Champagne
Second Lieutenant

This stupid fucking image posting system is a blast.... NOT!

Where's this forums server located? Korea? 5 images, ~200 kb each, takes 4 minutes to upload...

Back to uploading!
      12-06-2007, 02:34 PM   #58
Champagne
Second Lieutenant

More... mooore.... (can't duplicate thread... Made me upload these images 2 time.... Please enjoy them for my waste of time)
Attached Images

12-06-2007, 02:38 PM   #59
Champagne
Second Lieutenant

lalallaa
Attached Images

12-06-2007, 02:41 PM   #60
Champagne
Second Lieutenant

Okay... Finally done (actually I'm so mad for the uploading time... So I'll consider this finished).

In the last images you can clearly see (but not feel!) the atmosphere I was talking about earlier.

Also, the car is dirty... But not as dirty as it looks like... Appears the camera lens was though! Tomorrow I will go out and take loads of new photos for you (with a clean lens) when it's daylight (Swedish winter daylight).

In regard to the transmission sounds...
Just stand still, hold down the clutch (with the engine own, at least this was my circumstances when I heard this load and clear, and possibly in a down hill?) and just shift around just to look for the sounds. Go from like neutral, to 1st, to 2nd or whatever but without driving away, just listen.

What I heard was 2 things when shifting. When moving the stick from neutral to first, as soon as I start to press it forward, something sounded, then when it was fully in gear another sound came. What I'm trying to explain is that it's like a 2-part sound.

The other one... When slowly releasing the clutch (this was actually directly after I heard this noise the first time... (had the radio off for the first time while standing still as well I believe haha :P)) You could hear how the gear engaged to the driveline(or whatever?), something sounded.

I also need some freaking help, this is the most annoying thing! I can't understand how to turn the GPS ladys volume up! Anyone knows?
      12-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #61
lucid
Major General

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post

Best regards, south
Nothing's broken. I was kidding. My 325 makes the same noise. I asked about it when I took it in for my first service. They said that's normal and that is simply the engaging of some kind of meshing part within the transmission. I didn't buy that explanation, and then started listening around to hear other manual 3-series cars. They all seemed to make the same noise. I don't have an explanation for it myself. I doubt that it is something to worry about as long as it stops right after you shift. One should not be hearing anything of that nature from the transmission while the gear is engaged.
lucid is offline   United_States
      12-06-2007, 02:54 PM   #62
Big Windy
Major General

Drives: audi s4

Garage List
Quote:

I also need some freaking help, this is the most annoying thing! I can't understand how to turn the GPS ladys volume up! Anyone knows?
when she is talking turn the volume knob on the stereo up. not sure if you can do it with the buttons on the wheel, but i know for a fact if you make her say something and while she is talking you turn up the volume on the stereo as if it was a song you'll be good to go....took me a while to figure it out in my 335i too!
Big Windy is offline   United_States
      12-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #63
Champagne
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhagat View Post
Very nice. If you get the Novillo without extended leather, is the door wrapped in something other than leather like the picture above?
Same thing I asked my dealer when picking it up...

I tried to get him to tell me what that extended leather actually was... He said that where you put your arm (the armrest in the door), wouldn't be in such a nice leather as the ones in the seat if I understood him correctly. Figured it was a weird answer... But didn't mind it... Basically what I personally did when customizing this car, I took everything I could have thought was either cool/useful. The only thing I think I didn't take was the rear sunshade.

Like the voice control, keeps me company during the brake in! Insanely awesome even though I don't know all the voice commands.
      12-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #64
Champagne
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
If your comparing the feeling of the M3 to that of all those cars above and not finding any real fault... I'm impressed. And very happy.

Can't wait until you get some pictures up!!!!!! /nudge

And keep enjoying 'er.
Well, I haven't driven her to the limit. I was thinking that the steering was better in the thought of like... "city driving". I think the Ferraris is the worst for city driving. You have to understand that all my reviews is mainly for what I'm able to do at the moment, considering brake in, and considering the Swedish climate at this time of year. And too be honest... I never dared to go fast in curves with the Ferrari, and of the above I have the least experience with this car.
      12-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #65
Voltigeur
MacroRisk

Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Looks great! And the silver doesn't show the winter dirt too badly (unlike my sapphire black 5er...)

I'm liking the carbon inserts. And I did NOT want to like the extended leather (thinking to save $$ here) so if yours is extended leather then I hope it's not too dramatically different from base.

Hmm, not great that you can hear that noise ....

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i

Last edited by Voltigeur; 12-06-2007 at 03:11 PM. Reason: correction
Voltigeur is offline   Australia
      12-06-2007, 03:04 PM   #66
bobr2001
First Lieutenant

Drives: F11

Ok! Nice pics, now I believe. Great car & enjoy it even on winter roads
bobr2001 is offline   Germany