BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
System Of A...
Captain
 
System Of A...'s Avatar
 
Drives: e93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 818

Posts: 849
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW e93 M3  [3.83]
Need advice on tires for 20" zito zs05

Hey guys, so I got new rims from Zito, 20 inch zs05's in satin black. I need some help on the tires I should get for it, i asked some people already but Im getting numbers that vary so I thought Id give this a shot.

20x9 et22 and 20x11 et30 are the specs for the rims.

Zito says I should run 255 30 20 and 305 25 20, or 245 30 20 and 305 25 20

Would this be too wide for my setup? I have H&R sport springs that Im going to be dropping on the car when I install the rims, so Im aware that it might rub the fenders, so im going to have to roll the fenders according to my shop. Also, I do have a 4.6 stroker so I am fine with going wider in the rear, but not unnecessarily wide. Any help would be appreciated thank you.
__________________
Gintani 4.6l S65 | Gintani Race Catless Exhaust | Gintani CF Race lip
System Of A... is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
slicer
Brigadier General
 
slicer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 3,745
iTrader: (12)

1 - Zito wheels? There are far better wheels available. I hope someone didn't convince you that these are high quality wheels. Stick with BBS, HRE, Volk, OZ... etc. I wouldn't consider Zito wheels for a second. Especially considering you dropped $25k on a stroker motor; why run mediocre wheels?]

2 - I wouldn't recommend 20's on a M3 if you care about performance. I have had 20's, 19's, and 18's. I run 18's now because the tire sizing, tire availability (for high quality tires with good grip), and performance are best with 18's. 19's are also great. 20's not so much. You are forced to run large tire width stagger (you are considering 50mm to 60mm stagger when most people try to go the other direction (20mm or less)). Your sidewall is so short that it negatively impacts performance, ride quality, and pothole protection. Lastly you are limited on tire brand/model availability. 20's are just not a good fit for the M3 because the car's overall tire diameter is not conducive to it. 20's are good on a GTR or 991 Porsche because they were designed for that diameter (and have tire side wall height equivalent to running 19's on an M3). On top of it all 20's look too large on the car; leaving no upside.

3 - There is no fender to roll on a M3. I would switch to a shop that is familiar with the car; especially if this is the shop that suggested Zito wheels.

4 - I would choose the tallest tire possible which is the 255/30/20 front and 305/25/20 rear. The 255/30 sidewall is very short and the 245/30 is even shorter... You should be able to fit those sizes without rubbing. I ran those sizes in Pirelli P-Zero's on my car with Eibach springs (20x9 et20 and 20x11 et29). I know I sound harsh but I have been down the same road as you... and learned my lesson. 20's aren't the answer on this car. I at least did it with forged Volk's that weighed 24 lbs. You will be lucky if your Zito wheels are under 28lbs.
__________________
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Bumper & Black Mirror Covers, Turner Motorsports Studs/Lugs & Delrin Diff Bushings, MRF Solid Sub-Frame Bushings, RD Sport Sways, Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter & GTS Wing, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/295)

Last edited by slicer; 05-12-2014 at 06:56 PM.
slicer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
System Of A...
Captain
 
System Of A...'s Avatar
 
Drives: e93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 818

Posts: 849
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW e93 M3  [3.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
1 - Zito wheels? There are far better wheels available. I hope someone didn't convince you that these are high quality wheels. Stick with BBS, HRE, Volk, OZ... etc. I wouldn't consider Zito wheels for a second. Especially considering you dropped $25k on a stroker motor; why run mediocre wheels?]

2 - I wouldn't recommend 20's on a M3 if you care about performance. I have had 20's, 19's, and 18's. I run 18's now because the tire sizing, tire availability (for high quality tires with good grip), and performance are best with 18's. 19's are also great. 20's not so much. You are forced to run large tire width stagger (you are considering 50mm to 60mm stagger when most people try to go the other direction (20mm or less)). Your sidewall is so short that it negatively impacts performance, ride quality, and pothole protection. Lastly you are limited on tire brand/model availability. 20's are just not a good fit for the M3 because the car's overall tire diameter is not conducive to it. 20's are good on a GTR or 991 Porsche because they were designed for that diameter (and have tire side wall height equivalent to running 19's on an M3).

3 - There is no fender to roll on a M3. I would switch to a shop that is familiar with the car; especially if this is the shop that suggested Zito wheels.

1. I like the BBS FI look, I don't have the cheddar currently to buy BBS FI's. Closest thing - zito zs05. And they only come in 20's :| I really admire the look. Nobody convinced me that these are high quality wheels, but I'm seeing these wheels on m5's, lambos, porsches, ferraris, gtr's and maseratis so they can't be too terrible..

2. I am familiar with what I am getting myself into by going 20 instead of 19 or 18. Its a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the aesthetic gain. Considering I have extra power, I'm not too worried about performance losses. My 19 inch VMR's looked like 18's which I fucking hated, so I'm going all out and getting 20's just because it looks so much nicer IMO. I've read up on threads on this forum where people have said they haven't felt much of a difference after going 20 compared to 19, performance wise or suspension harshness wise. Also, I already purchased the wheels so no turning back now, I just need to know what width tires to get that will be ideal.

3. I should be more specific. My car is in the process of getting wrapped now, and I was told that because of the 20's it might touch the wrap on the fender and cause it to peel or come off when driving. I'm not sure what you mean by there is no fender to roll. Wouldn't the tires rub on the inside of the fender? Perhaps I used the wrong terminology, I'm not sure.

thanks for your input bro, but I still need to know what tire width to go. I know I seem ill informed by going 20's and zito's, but I'm not a track star and Im not too concerned about ride quality. So Im aware of the consequences of doing this

-edit: almost missed your 4. So sounds like 255/30/20 front and 305/25/20 rear might be the winner. I'm going to look for a few more opinions, if they match up then I guess im going with that! Thanks
__________________
Gintani 4.6l S65 | Gintani Race Catless Exhaust | Gintani CF Race lip

Last edited by System Of A...; 05-12-2014 at 07:12 PM.
System Of A... is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 12,352
iTrader: (5)

good attempt at help slicer, unsure about a stroker, race lip and 20s. why build a motor if you dont care about performace loss with the wheel and tire set up?
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
slicer
Brigadier General
 
slicer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 3,745
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by System Of A... View Post
1. I like the BBS FI look, I don't have the cheddar currently to buy BBS FI's. Closest thing - zito zs05. I really admire the look. Nobody convinced me that these are high quality wheels, but I'm seeing these wheels on m5's, lambos, porsches, ferraris, gtr's and maseratis so they can't be too terrible..
Lot's of people with high quality cars are clueless and buy sub-par wheels. I know I sound like a jerk but there are so many quality options available that cost less than FI's. Even the BBS LM-R or LM would have been great options. They are at least forged. Do you mind sharing what the retail price is on the Zito's?

Quote:
2. I am familiar with what I am getting myself into by going 20 instead of 19 or 18. Its a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the aesthetic gain. Considering I have extra power, I'm not too worried about performance losses. My 19 inch VMR's looked like 18's which I fucking hated, so I'm going all out and getting 20's just because it looks so much nicer IMO. I've read up on threads on this forum where people have said they haven't felt much of a difference after going 20 compared to 19, performance wise or suspension harshness wise. Also, I already purchased the wheels so no turning back now, I just need to know what width tires to get that will be ideal.
When I say performance losses, that includes putting the power down. You would have much better grip with a 19" or 18" wheel and an extreme performance tire like the Yokohama AD08R which isn't available in 20" sizes. I don't understand the point of spending your cash on a stroker motor and turning around and giving a large amount of the performance away with a sub-par wheel/tire setup. As far as aesthetics.... We all have our opinions on that but a car lowered properly looks fantastic with 18's. I agree that 18's look horrible at stock ride height. 20's simply look over sized at any ride height on an M3 IMO.

Quote:
3. I should be more specific. My car is in the process of getting wrapped now, and I was told that because of the 20's it might touch the wrap on the fender and cause it to peel or come off when driving. I'm not sure what you mean by there is no fender to roll. Wouldn't the tires rub on the inside of the fender? Perhaps I used the wrong terminology, I'm not sure.
The M3 doesn't have a lip on the inside of the fender like many cars (that is what is typically "rolled"). Run your finger along the inside of the fender and you will see what I mean. There is a modification that can be done in the area at around 10:00 on the driver's side. This is a bending of the entire fender and requires repainting of the entire fender to achieve (IND has done this on some of their project cars). There is a plastic protrusion where the fender and the rear bumper meet which can be trimmed.

Quote:
thanks for your input bro, but I still need to know what tire width to go. I know I seem ill informed by going 20's and zito's, but I'm not a track star and Im not too concerned about ride quality. So Im aware of the consequences of doing this

-edit: almost missed your 4. So sounds like 255/30/20 front and 305/25/20 rear might be the winner. I'm going to look for a few more opinions, if they match up then I guess im going with that! Thanks
I would also consider 285/30/20 in the rear but since you have an 11" wheel that would be too stretched IMO.
__________________
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Bumper & Black Mirror Covers, Turner Motorsports Studs/Lugs & Delrin Diff Bushings, MRF Solid Sub-Frame Bushings, RD Sport Sways, Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter & GTS Wing, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/295)
slicer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
System Of A...
Captain
 
System Of A...'s Avatar
 
Drives: e93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 818

Posts: 849
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW e93 M3  [3.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
good attempt at help slicer, unsure about a stroker, race lip and 20s. why build a motor if you dont care about performace loss with the wheel and tire set up?
so is it a thing on these forums to stray away from the topic at hand and talk about things that have already been addressed? How is the race lip relevant? lmao. Some people have different priorities and tastes bro. I could put on 22's and not give a fuck about what people think. due to the fact that I happen to like the zs05 look, and considering the fact that they ONLY come in 20's, I will put 20's on this car and not think twice. But I have already thought twice, and read up on what the consequences are. To me, they arent bad enough for me to reconsider this and go 18.

Why did I get a stroker? There are reasons. Reasons which I am not really obligated to go into right now considering this is not about my stroker but about what tires to get. I appreciate your interest and curiosity, but as I said a few times already, I am fine with losing performance for aesthetics. If I wanted a drag racer with uber performance, I would have gotten a spartan performance package e92 m3 and supercharged with 18's. Hell, I wouldve gotten a c63 lmao. But no I got an e93 , Im fine with the added weight, and im fine with adding more weight on the rims. The strokers extra noise, extra torque, and marginal exclusivity make me happy enough
__________________
Gintani 4.6l S65 | Gintani Race Catless Exhaust | Gintani CF Race lip
System Of A... is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 12,352
iTrader: (5)

okay, just thought the focus of your car is contradictory. why add power to intentionally take it away? if the power doesnt matter why add it to start? you are right you can do whatever you want even if it follows no rhyme or reason. slicer is a good guy and just trying to help you out.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
System Of A...
Captain
 
System Of A...'s Avatar
 
Drives: e93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 818

Posts: 849
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW e93 M3  [3.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Lot's of people with high quality cars are clueless and buy sub-par wheels. I know I sound like a jerk but there are so many quality options available that cost less than FI's. Even the BBS LM-R or LM would have been great options. They are at least forged. Do you mind sharing what the retail price is on the Zito's?



When I say performance losses, that includes putting the power down. You would have much better grip with a 19" or 18" wheel and an extreme performance tire like the Yokohama AD08R which isn't available in 20" sizes. I don't understand the point of spending your cash on a stroker motor and turning around and giving some of the performance away with a sub-par wheel/tire setup. As far as aesthetics.... We all have our opinions on that but a car lowered properly looks fantastic with 18's. I agree that 18's look horrible at stock ride height. 20's simply look over sized at any ride height IMO.



The M3 doesn't have a lip on the inside of the fender like many cars (that is what is typically "rolled"). Run your finger along the inside of the fender and you will see what I mean. There is a modification that can be done in the area at around 10:00 on the driver's side. This is a bending of the entire fender and requires repainting of the entire fender to achieve (IND has done this on some of their project cars). There is a plastic protrusion where the fender and the rear bumper meet which can be trimmed.



I would also consider 285/30/20 in the rear but since you have an 11" wheel that would be too stretched IMO.
I've heard this all and I'm prepared to hear it all over again at meets and forums don't worry. Around 2k. The prices on them vary depending on who you get them from.

I spin tires like a crazy person with my current 19's 245/265...so im not exactly putting power down all too efficiently lol. And again, if you knew the details of why and how I got my stroker you would understand a bit more. But im not interested in getting into it. And 20's looking oversized at any ride height, im going to have to disagree with. I'm ok with being the dbag running 20's top down with a stroker. I really am.

Hmm, thats interesting. I didnt know there isnt a lip inside of the fender. I'm going to bring that to my shops attention as they specifically informed me that there is a lip. Im surprised though because they have at least 7 other modded m3's at their shop. I wonder if it was a miscommunication or a lack of knowledge - concerning.
__________________
Gintani 4.6l S65 | Gintani Race Catless Exhaust | Gintani CF Race lip
System Of A... is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #9
slicer
Brigadier General
 
slicer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 3,745
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by System Of A... View Post
so is it a thing on these forums to stray away from the topic at hand and talk about things that have already been addressed? How is the race lip relevant? lmao. Some people have different priorities and tastes bro. I could put on 22's and not give a fuck about what people think. due to the fact that I happen to like the zs05 look, and considering the fact that they ONLY come in 20's, I will put 20's on this car and not think twice. But I have already thought twice, and read up on what the consequences are. To me, they arent bad enough for me to reconsider this and go 18.

Why did I get a stroker? There are reasons. Reasons which I am not really obligated to go into right now considering this is not about my stroker but about what tires to get. I appreciate your interest and curiosity, but as I said a few times already, I am fine with losing performance for aesthetics. If I wanted a drag racer with uber performance, I would have gotten a spartan performance package e92 m3 and supercharged with 18's. Hell, I wouldve gotten a c63 lmao. But no I got an e93 , Im fine with the added weight, and im fine with adding more weight on the rims. The strokers extra noise, extra torque, and marginal exclusivity make me happy enough
I think what you will find that at this point (things will certainly change as the platform ages) most of the people who are enthusiastic enough about the M3 to visit this forum do so because of the performance attributes of the car. Most significantly the car's handling abilities. As you pointed out, some of it's competitors have more power and are quicker in a straight line. When things are done to the car that negatively impact the car's handling strength, you get these kinds of responses. I know it seems silly that we care; but it is what it is... So when we saw that you were putting heavy, sub-par, 20" wheels on the car, it made us a little excited. At the end of the day it's your car and you should do what you like. I was trying to help; despite my harshness. Best of luck and enjoy the car!
__________________
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Bumper & Black Mirror Covers, Turner Motorsports Studs/Lugs & Delrin Diff Bushings, MRF Solid Sub-Frame Bushings, RD Sport Sways, Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter & GTS Wing, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/295)
slicer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 07:39 PM   #10
slicer
Brigadier General
 
slicer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 3,745
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by System Of A... View Post
I spin tires like a crazy person with my current 19's 245/265...so im not exactly putting power down all too efficiently lol.
That's why I run wider wheels (9.5" or 10" front, 10.5" or 11" rear) with 275's in the front and 295's in the rear with sticky extreme performance tires on 18's (I have also ran the same sizes on 19" wheels). No grip issues for me.... Plus you are adding more understeer with a 50mm+ stagger but you won't notice that if you don't push the car hard in the corners.
__________________
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Bumper & Black Mirror Covers, Turner Motorsports Studs/Lugs & Delrin Diff Bushings, MRF Solid Sub-Frame Bushings, RD Sport Sways, Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter & GTS Wing, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/295)
slicer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #11
System Of A...
Captain
 
System Of A...'s Avatar
 
Drives: e93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 818

Posts: 849
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW e93 M3  [3.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
okay, just thought the focus of your car is contradictory. why add power to intentionally take it away? if the power doesnt matter why add it to start? you are right you can do whatever you want even if it follows no rhyme or reason. slicer is a good guy and just trying to help you out.
I didn't take anything you guys said the wrong way, its fine. Power does matter, but I highly doubt I am taking away a strokers worth of power by going 20 instead of 19. Even if i am, its still a stroker, I can always go back to another wheel setup, and it will still be faster than a normal e93 if i dont. Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I think what you will find that at this point (things will certainly change as the platform ages) most of the people who are enthusiastic enough about the M3 to visit this forum do so because of the performance attributes of the car. Most significantly the car's handling abilities. As you pointed out, some of it's competitors have more power and are quicker in a straight line. When things are done to the car that negatively impact the car's handling strength, you get these kinds of responses. I know it seems silly that we care; but it is what it is... So when we saw that you were putting heavy, sub-par, 20" wheels on the car, it made us a little excited. At the end of the day it's your car and you should do what you like. I was trying to help; despite my harshness. Best of luck and enjoy the car!
I understand your point, but you must also take into consideration that given the rather large numbers of m3's out there and the variety of people who drive them for a variety of reasons, setups that arent popular among the ' performance enthusiast' crowd should be expected and accepted as long as the person understands the consequences and effects of what is being done. I consider myself an enthusiast as well, as I check these forums and random threads every single day. And the fact that my wheels are heavier doesn't take away from that, because I know they are and I'm fine with it haha. I appreciate your candid response buddy, you helped
__________________
Gintani 4.6l S65 | Gintani Race Catless Exhaust | Gintani CF Race lip
System Of A... is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2014, 08:24 PM   #12
Drop top e93
Second Lieutenant
 
Drop top e93's Avatar
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cali

Posts: 207
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
That's why I run wider wheels (9.5" or 10" front, 10.5" or 11" rear) with 275's in the front and 295's in the rear with sticky extreme performance tires on 18's (I have also ran the same sizes on 19" wheels). No grip issues for me.... Plus you are adding more understeer with a 50mm+ stagger but you won't notice that if you don't push the car hard in the corners.
Sorry to the op but off topic do u think 19x8.5 et 15 front 19x9.5 et22 is alright meaning no under steer and all
__________________


sapphire black e93 335i
Drop top e93 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #13
slicer
Brigadier General
 
slicer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 3,745
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack818 View Post
Sorry to the op but off topic do u think 19x8.5 et 15 front 19x9.5 et22 is alright meaning no under steer and all
That depends on what tire sizes you choose... Suspension settings.... And no understeer at all would best be achieved with square wheels and tires. Suspension settings are also a significant factor in determining your car's handling characteristics.
__________________
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Bumper & Black Mirror Covers, Turner Motorsports Studs/Lugs & Delrin Diff Bushings, MRF Solid Sub-Frame Bushings, RD Sport Sways, Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter & GTS Wing, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/295)
slicer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #14
Drop top e93
Second Lieutenant
 
Drop top e93's Avatar
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cali

Posts: 207
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
That depends on what tire sizes you choose... Suspension settings.... And no understeer at all would best be achieved with square wheels and tires. Suspension settings are also a significant factor in determining your car's handling characteristics.
I'm going to be on 245 35 19 hankook rs3 and rear 275 35 19 rs3 stock suspenssion
__________________


sapphire black e93 335i
Drop top e93 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #15
slicer
Brigadier General
 
slicer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 3,745
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack818 View Post
I'm going to be on 245 35 19 hankook rs3 and rear 275 35 19 rs3 stock suspenssion
You are increasing the front to rear stagger by 10mm from OEM. This in theory would increase understeer - assuming all else remains equal. As I previously stated, your suspension settings are also a significant factor. The change will not be drastic and you will only notice at the limit.
__________________
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Bumper & Black Mirror Covers, Turner Motorsports Studs/Lugs & Delrin Diff Bushings, MRF Solid Sub-Frame Bushings, RD Sport Sways, Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter & GTS Wing, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/295)
slicer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #16
System Of A...
Captain
 
System Of A...'s Avatar
 
Drives: e93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 818

Posts: 849
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW e93 M3  [3.83]
Lil update pic. INSANE wheels.





Absolutely love everything about the rims, the ride quality is as good as before, maybe even better? and the grip of the 305's is awesome. Car doesnt feel any slower at all.
__________________
Gintani 4.6l S65 | Gintani Race Catless Exhaust | Gintani CF Race lip
System Of A... is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2014, 08:49 PM   #17
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 12,352
iTrader: (5)

bravo dont look like 20s still have tons of wheel gap.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2014, 02:06 AM   #18
System Of A...
Captain
 
System Of A...'s Avatar
 
Drives: e93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 818

Posts: 849
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW e93 M3  [3.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
bravo dont look like 20s still have tons of wheel gap.
I just got my car back from the wrap so I havent installed my h&r springs, lip or spoiler yet
System Of A... is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2014, 03:36 AM   #19
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,948
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
1 - Zito wheels? There are far better wheels available. I hope someone didn't convince you that these are high quality wheels. Stick with BBS, HRE, Volk, OZ... etc. I wouldn't consider Zito wheels for a second. Especially considering you dropped $25k on a stroker motor; why run mediocre wheels?]

2 - I wouldn't recommend 20's on a M3 if you care about performance. I have had 20's, 19's, and 18's. I run 18's now because the tire sizing, tire availability (for high quality tires with good grip), and performance are best with 18's. 19's are also great. 20's not so much. You are forced to run large tire width stagger (you are considering 50mm to 60mm stagger when most people try to go the other direction (20mm or less)). Your sidewall is so short that it negatively impacts performance, ride quality, and pothole protection. Lastly you are limited on tire brand/model availability. 20's are just not a good fit for the M3 because the car's overall tire diameter is not conducive to it. 20's are good on a GTR or 991 Porsche because they were designed for that diameter (and have tire side wall height equivalent to running 19's on an M3). On top of it all 20's look too large on the car; leaving no upside.

3 - There is no fender to roll on a M3. I would switch to a shop that is familiar with the car; especially if this is the shop that suggested Zito wheels.

4 - I would choose the tallest tire possible which is the 255/30/20 front and 305/25/20 rear. The 255/30 sidewall is very short and the 245/30 is even shorter... You should be able to fit those sizes without rubbing. I ran those sizes in Pirelli P-Zero's on my car with Eibach springs (20x9 et20 and 20x11 et29). I know I sound harsh but I have been down the same road as you... and learned my lesson. 20's aren't the answer on this car. I at least did it with forged Volk's that weighed 24 lbs. You will be lucky if your Zito wheels are under 28lbs.
massive +1 20s are just so fail on this car... they don't even look good imo.
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST