BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

E92 Lighting

05-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #89
radiantm3
Apex Everything!

Drives: >1000 HP in my garage

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
Why would you put an Akra exhaust in your little list there? That's like the worst possible $/hp mod you can make to this platform. Overpriced and overrated.
How many other exhausts free almost 50lb of weight? There's BMW performance, but that costs about the same.
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
      05-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #90
TrevorM3
Major

Drives: S54

It seems there is quite a bit of distaste for this new M, as always from the previous generation owners. I think most will warm up to it. This car is a 335i fanboys wetdream though. Turbo's and actually being able to have an "M" car? Oh boy..
      05-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #91
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 e90 M3

I'm surprised people are getting their posts deleted for criticizing the new ///M3-4. I've read dozens of negative comments there.
      05-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #92
TrevorM3
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE_M3 View Post
I'm surprised people are getting their posts deleted for criticizing the new ///M3-4. I've read dozens of negative comments there.

where, on the new m3 forum?

i wonder why
      05-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #93
Tiny Chainsaw
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 135i

Too much speculative BS on this thread...

All I hear are butthurt e9x M3 fanboys who are trying to justify keeping their M3... I mean are some seriously claiming that the F8X M3/M4 won't be able to be tuned?... Seriously? LOL

M3/M4 is better than the E9x m3 in almost every way...
Do you think BMW would purposely tarnish their flagship car??
People are hard wired to resist change and its a shame.
      05-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #94
Alex07M3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: e92 m3

Garage List
2008 e92 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Chainsaw

All I hear are butthurt e9x M3 fanboys who are trying to justify keeping their M3... I mean are some seriously claiming that the F8X M3/M4 won't be able to be tuned?... Seriously? LOL

Put it like that, if the new model that replaces the Ferrari 458 come with a V6TT, don't you think a lot of people will be disapointed, same thing here!?! Not really butthurt fanboys, just disaponted fans of the M brand!

Last edited by Alex07M3; 05-12-2014 at 09:31 AM.
      05-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #95
s85e90
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
Put it like that, if the new model that replaces the Ferrari 458 come with a V6TT, don't you think a lot of people wont be disapointed, same thing here!?! Not really butthurt fanboys, just disaponted fans of the M brand!
Not many people were happy when the new m3 was to have a v8 to replace the great inline 6
      05-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #96
Ezio
Colonel

Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Not many people were happy when the new m3 was to have a v8 to replace the great inline 6
and some of those people are still mad! and never bought a E92. LOL same thing will happen here.

also people hated on the V8 because they thought BMW put a muscle car lazy v8 in it. when really it was a high revving European engine. in fact that V8 and the E46 I6 are pretty similar in engine characteristics. the new I6 turbo is a whole different style of engine for a M3
      05-11-2014, 09:18 PM   #97
JRV
Lieutenant

Drives: '08 C300, 2011.75 AWE90M3

There's the fanboy accusation again. I don't think the ones who aren't buying the new M3 are resisting because of some fancy for the E9X. It's more like a fancy for a high revving NA engine the M3s have always had. I doubt anyone is in love with the E9x chassis. We just love the M3, the whole package. No speculations my friend, the reviews have already noted what some have been afraid of with the new changes. The flat un-exciting but torque filled motor. It's quite a change. Yes I've never driven it but the reviewers have and speak about it. Why do we have to like this new change?
As for the tune, it could definitely happen but that's not the point.
JRV is online now   United_States
      05-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #98
Alex07M3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: e92 m3

Garage List
2008 e92 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90
Quote:
Put it like that, if the new model that replaces the Ferrari 458 come with a V6TT, don't you think a lot of people wont be disapointed, same thing here!?! Not really butthurt fanboys, just disaponted fans of the M brand!
Until they learned that the S65 was lighter, reved higher and sounded better(this one is subjective) then the inline 6!

S54 -> S65 = evolution
S65 -> S55 = revolution(not necessarily good)

Last edited by Alex07M3; 05-12-2014 at 09:32 AM.
      05-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #99
Prowess Symphony
Major General

Drives: ///Mistress

Garage List
Why does everyone keep talking about a tune? An M car should be fun enough stock and all the talk of tunes just shows how far away from an M car the the new one is. Plus the tiny turbos are maxed about anyway.
Prowess Symphony is offline   United_States
      05-11-2014, 09:41 PM   #100
///McRae
Banned

Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Chainsaw View Post

With all due respect, you drive a 1 series. Your opinion is not relevant or qualified.
///McRae is offline   United_States
      05-11-2014, 10:11 PM   #101
swanson
Convicted Felon

Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
Just be careful not to mention any criticisms of the f8x on their side of the forums. All my posts discussing negative aspects of the car even if it was things that the pro reviewers mentioned were deleted. This site is great for tech help and things like that but it's very propaganda oriented and criticisms aren't allowed.
Quote:

Purposely? No, but they did. Along with the M5, M6, etc.......
      05-11-2014, 10:24 PM   #102
M3 Pilot
First Lieutenant

Drives: 13' E92 M3 Comp Pack

Quote:

Indeed. When BMW went from a NA V8 to a 3L TT, we can't help but feel like we're being bent over with no KY.

When I first heard the BMW went from a 8000RPM 3.2L NA Straight Six to a 8300RPM 4L V8 first thoughts, "not bad, I can live with that". Although heavier but it is also quicker.

When BMW went from a 8300rpm NA V8 to a 3L TT, that is not cool.

1) The Sound.

The F80 outperforms the E9X M3. That's great and I am all for having a New Model outperforming the previous. But the sound is just not the same.

Every morning I wake up to a glorious Cold Start with all 8 trumpets singing at full song, whats not to like ?

2) The Engine.

A 3L straight six TT is still a 3L straight six TT like the one in a 335 no matter what name you give it. You don't see the S65 in any other production BMW.

3) The Looks.

I'd have to say, the F80 M3/4 looks great ! But why so much similarity with the 3 and 4 series ?

The 3 and 4 series now comes with the same side grill as the F80 M3/4 ?

The Bonnet now comes with a power dome with no vents to set it apart ?

Your typical ///M wannabe could spend some coin to CF Wrap the roof, change the mirrors, slap on the M3 badge and if enthusiastic enough, maybe even change the Bonnet. At first glance, you may think its a M3 but as you notice the missing side grills (or bonnet vice versa), you'd give him 8/10 for the effort.

Now you can purchase a 335 or 435 M Sport, change the bonnet, mirrors, rims, etc and you're nearly there. Sure there are other tell tale signs but at first glance, you can't fault someone for passing the M3/4 as a 3/4 series.

But mostly, I'm butthurt about the Sound.
M3 Pilot is offline   Australia
      05-11-2014, 10:25 PM   #103
Prowess Symphony
Major General

Drives: ///Mistress

Garage List
The M6, M5, and M4/M3 are all let downs this generation. Yes technology improves that's a given but all the current M cars are missing something. The M4 looks and sounds like a ricer and all anyone is talking about is tunes for it which is not what an M is about. It's like digital effects in movies. Sure the effects get better but the movie can still suck. The gadgets in the M cars and track times get better but they can still be missing soul.
Prowess Symphony is offline   United_States
      05-11-2014, 10:25 PM   #104
TrevorM3
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
There's the fanboy accusation again. I don't think the ones who aren't buying the new M3 are resisting because of some fancy for the E9X. It's more like a fancy for a high revving NA engine the M3s have always had. I doubt anyone is in love with the E9x chassis. We just love the M3, the whole package. No speculations my friend, the reviews have already noted what some have been afraid of with the new changes. The flat un-exciting but torque filled motor. It's quite a change. Yes I've never driven it but the reviewers have and speak about it. Why do we have to like this new change?

I can guarantee (without guaranteeing) that this will be a major factor in most getting this new M. Easily attainable power. End of story.
      05-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #105
Ezio
Colonel

Drives: 2013 E92 M3

heres a video from a member with his f80. gotta love that sound.

05-11-2014, 10:38 PM   #106
JRV
Lieutenant

Drives: '08 C300, 2011.75 AWE90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
I can guarantee (without guaranteeing) that this will be a major factor in most getting this new M. Easily attainable power. End of story.
And you are probably right about that.
JRV is online now   United_States
      05-11-2014, 10:42 PM   #107
swanson
Convicted Felon

Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
heres a video from a member with his f80. gotta love that sound.

You would swear that was a civic.
      05-11-2014, 10:59 PM   #108
FormulaMMM
Major

Drives: E90 M3

Looks to me that M has done a commendable job with this new model, and I look forward to testing one, perhaps owning in a few years.

They've also done a good job focusing on the advantages of this new model over the previous (selling it).

But I do find some of the engine talk amusing. This new engine is a product of regulations and restrictions, it is not the product of self-directed M engineering. If a turbo engine was best suited to be the heart of M cars, then historically that would be the case. Regulations dictated a move in this direction, and not so coincidentally we're now being sold on torque and efficiency. A sort of "look what we found!" as if that wasn't possible all along.

I'll bet the new engine is a real accomplishment, but I don't buy into the idea that it's truly the direction that M wanted to go, and it's not necessarily what I want.
Jerez Black 6MT E90 M3: Velos Designwerks Tune, Megan Racing Catback (past) | Akrapovic Evolution (present), Macht Schnell Filter, Stoptech ST-40 Front + Pagid RS29 | Stock Rear + Ferodo DS2500, Apex EC-7 18x10 ET25 + Nitto NT01 275/35/18.
Jet Black DCT E90 M3: Akrapovic Slip-On, tbd...
      05-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #109
aus
Major General

Drives: Odysse

Quote:

Has anyone tuned the S63tu yet??
The S55 ECU will only be that much harder to tune.
It'll probably happen, but it's been a couple years for the S63 and nothing has been released yet.

I don't think anyon here has issue with the chassis. It's the engine we're not impressed with... and a few of the pro reviewers feel the same if you watch the vids.

Quote:
Unfortunately, that may happen soon, but it'll probably be a V8TT. The California is going TT and it's speculated the 458 replacement is next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
I was until a found it the V8 was about the same weight as the S54. I just wish the E9x was the same weight as the E46.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
      05-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #110
swamp2
Lieutenant General

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
Couldn't agree more.

I'm sore tired of this "you own an E92 M3 therefore anything you say about the new M3/4 is justification for you to keep your current car". Nonesense. I want to not just like the new car, but I want to love it...
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
swamp2 is offline   United_States