BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

ESS Tuning

04-29-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
Macca74
Rep

Drives: MY11 E90 M3

First time M3 buyer - Info / advice appreciated

Hi all

Just joined this forum and looking to make my first M3 purchase. Have been a long time Audi driver, however have decided to switch brands to change things up and have always wanted an M3, so decided now is the time.

I am looking at buying a second hand E90 or E92 DCT. I like the practicality of the E90 and find getting in and out for me a touch easier (have a crappy back) compared to the bigger door of the coupe. I also have 2 young kids so rear doors would be easier.

That being said, the heart prefers the coupe and in reality it will just be me in the car 98% of the time. There are also a heap more coupes running around and therefore easier to find exactly what I am after. I also feel that a coupe is likely to have better second hand sale appeal, however could be totally wrong on this.

I am targetting something around the 2011 vintage, but could go a 2010 with the right km's and for the right price.

Would really appreciate any general feedback people would have for me and also any thoughts people have on the following:
  • I have read in a couple of places that there was a minor upgrade carried out to 2011 models, but not sure about this. Are there any differences between the 2010 and 2011 models which I sould be aware of?
  • From a servicing perspective, are there any particular km or age points where the cars require a major service that I should be aware of?
  • Under "normal" driving conditions, how many kms would the tyre typically last?
  • Appreciate the choice of sedan v's coupe is a personal choice, however are there any specific points between these two I should be aware of?
  • Any known issues with these cars I should be looking for?

Have been through the thread on insurance which is very helpful as well.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 03:23 AM   #2
Mana
Australia
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Black

G'Day Macca,
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your decision making.
I have an 08 E92 so can't comment on the LCI update. I'm sure others can or the info will be available online.

When it comes to deciding between the coupe or sedan, it comes down to personal preference. The coupe certainly has enough room for 2 (only) reasonably sized adults in the rear. The sedan can accommodate 3. I very rarely have back seat passengers anyway and the back seats still fold down giving enough room for me to transport my bike.

Any service at a dealer is going to cost you a premium (oil itself is $300). Mechanically they are pretty solid and reliable as you would expect from a Premium German automobile.

Tyre wear will depend on how you drive it and what sort of driving you do. My Km's are 75% freeway and the tyres lasted 40k if that's any indication - again good tyres aren't cheap.

I suggest you drive both the coupe and the sedan - both fantastic with 6 speed or DCT depending on your preference. I would be happy to take you for a drive if you're in the Melb Northern suburbs.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 04:48 AM   #3
NBTBRV8
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Porsche 997.2 GT3 & MG RV8

The E90 is more practical for more than two people. You will find though that the E92 has a larger door opening making it much easier to get in and out of than the E90, as the pillar on the E90 is generally level with the seat backrest. On the coupe is it much further back.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
Macca74
Rep

Thanks for your responses.

40,000 seems pretty good to me for a set of performance tyres. Most of the cars I have seen have around 25,000kms, so have been trying to judge how hard they have been driven based on tyre wear (plus figure out how long I would have until I need to replace them).

With the servicing, I was more wondering if there was a particular point when a major service needed to be undertaken. For example I know with my Audi that at 80,000kms there is a very expensive service required (even compared to normal).

I have been able to drive the sedan, but only sat in the coupe to date - will try for a drive this weekend. Thanks for the offer Mana but there are a couple of coupes at my local Dealer which I am sure I can get access to.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
jmo
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Drives: BMW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTBRV8 View Post
You will find though that the E92 has a larger door opening making it much easier to get in and out of than the E90, as the pillar on the E90 is generally level with the seat backrest. On the coupe is it much further back.

Quote:
I have read in a couple of places that there was a minor upgrade carried out to 2011 models, but not sure about this. Are there any differences between the 2010 and 2011 models which I sould be aware of?
I think the only aesthetic thing is upgraded brake lights?

Quote:
Under "normal" driving conditions, how many kms would the tyre typically last?
No longer or shorter than any other car depending how you drive it

Quote:
Appreciate the choice of sedan v's coupe is a personal choice, however are there any specific points between these two I should be aware of?
You can't get the carbon fibre roof in the sedan. So if you are looking for 10th's on the track this might be important to you. If you want a sunroof you can't have a carbon fibre roof anyway.

Quote:
Any known issues with these cars I should be looking for?
Speeding fines.

Get the E90 if you have kids. You won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
Melo-T
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Drives: M3

+1 Speeding fines
      05-01-2014, 02:16 AM   #7
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep

Drives: e92 - 2007

It you need to ask about tyre wear you can't afford the car
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 02:17 AM   #8
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep

Drives: e92 - 2007

(I am just kidding)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #9
Macca74
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra08R View Post
It you need to ask about tyre wear you can't afford the car
Nah I'm just a tightass.

Seriously though, really just after that info for judging how hard a car has been driven that I am looking at.

The service question is more a $ base one.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #10
Macca74
Rep

Another question, any recommendations of people to use for pre-purchase inspections in Melbourne - preferably South East suburbs?

Still haven't found exactly the right car, but think there are a couple of options on the radar which might be ok so want to work out who I am going to get to carry out an inspection.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #11
Rajvosa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Im in Perth but few years back I was buying an E46 and had BM Autowerks in Melbourne do a PPI. found them very good!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 02:28 AM   #12
Melo-T
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvosa View Post
Im in Perth but few years back I was buying an E46 and had BM Autowerks in Melbourne do a PPI. found them very good!
I used BM Autowerks when I was buying a car in Melbourne. They were ok but they did miss that both the rear tyres needed replacing on the vehicle I got inspected. Maybe they were really busy that day but you would have thought that it should have been picked up.
      05-05-2014, 02:53 AM   #13
LSM3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: E90 ///M3 & R36 Passat Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca74
Another question, any recommendations of people to use for pre-purchase inspections in Melbourne - preferably South East suburbs?

Still haven't found exactly the right car, but think there are a couple of options on the radar which might be ok so want to work out who I am going to get to carry out an inspection.

Thanks
Hi Mate,

I use SouthernBM in Moorabbin. (03)9555-4049. Speak with Jimmy or Andrew and you can say that you got their details from Liam, and they'll look after you.

I've been a customer there for many years and i have only positive things to say about them - they are great when it comes to BMWs whether its a PPI or strapping a charger on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #14
Macca74
Rep

Thanks all. I will check out both BM Autowerks and SouthernBM. Both are quire close to me, although there seems to be a few nagative reviews online about BM Autowerks (not that these can always be taken on face value).
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 12:10 AM   #15
netgun
Private
Rep

Drives: 08 E92 M3 Coupe

If you're fishing for a 2010/11 E92 model then you'll end up with the LCI update anyway. The LED tail lights are the only obvious difference on the outside. On the inside the big difference is the upgrade of the iDrive to CIC. I have low km June 2008 6MT that I bought here in Melbourne last July. I immediately swapped out the tail lights for the OEM LED ones and have since also retrofitted the CIC iDrive. I rarely have anyone in the back seat (or the passenger seat for that matter) so having a coupe suits me. I'm not really a fan of the arse end on the E90 but did consider getting one for a while there.

When you're shopping also be aware of the myriad of options these may/may not have come with. Things like folding mirrors, heated seats, comfort access, EDC, rear sun blind, sun roof, electronic compass, extended leather (and the various interior combinations that come with that), voice control etc. I was fortunate enough to find a great example that was nearly fully loaded. If you want to know what it was optioned with at the factory, use a VIN decoder like the one below. Pop in the last 7 digits of the VIN and you'll get a detailed report of what's in the car.

http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 04:44 AM   #16
LSM3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: E90 ///M3 & R36 Passat Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by netgun
If you're fishing for a 2010/11 E92 model then you'll end up with the LCI update anyway. The LED tail lights are the only obvious difference on the outside. On the inside the big difference is the upgrade of the iDrive to CIC. I have low km June 2008 6MT that I bought here in Melbourne last July. I immediately swapped out the tail lights for the OEM LED ones and have since also retrofitted the CIC iDrive. I rarely have anyone in the back seat (or the passenger seat for that matter) so having a coupe suits me. I'm not really a fan of the arse end on the E90 but did consider getting one for a while there.

When you're shopping also be aware of the myriad of options these may/may not have come with. Things like folding mirrors, heated seats, comfort access, EDC, rear sun blind, sun roof, electronic compass, extended leather (and the various interior combinations that come with that), voice control etc. I was fortunate enough to find a great example that was nearly fully loaded. If you want to know what it was optioned with at the factory, use a VIN decoder like the one below. Pop in the last 7 digits of the VIN and you'll get a detailed report of what's in the car.

Electronic compass hey? That seems very update Mitsubishi Pajero.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 04:51 AM   #17
netgun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM3 View Post
Electronic compass hey? That seems very update Mitsubishi Pajero.
Yeh I don't have the option (in my rear view mirror) nor the home link buttons that often go along with it so I don't have much of an idea what the digital compass is actually useful for, but it is indeed an option.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #18
Macca74
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by netgun View Post

Thanks very much for this. I tried looking up one of the cars I am considering and it gave some great info. Pity the car is fitted with this option:

"Acoustic belt warning"

Would love to have that box left unticked

There isn't anything specifically mentioned about bluetooth that I could see, although it does have "Preparation, mobile phone, Business" and "Music interface for Smartphone". Does it need to say something specific or should this all be standard. Also, any easy place for me to find out what where the optional extras that could be chosen from so I can be aware of what to look for - as you say there really does appear to be a myriad of them.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 02:21 AM   #19
netgun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca74 View Post
Thanks very much for this. I tried looking up one of the cars I am considering and it gave some great info. Pity the car is fitted with this option:

"Acoustic belt warning"

Would love to have that box left unticked

There isn't anything specifically mentioned about bluetooth that I could see, although it does have "Preparation, mobile phone, Business" and "Music interface for Smartphone". Does it need to say something specific or should this all be standard. Also, any easy place for me to find out what where the optional extras that could be chosen from so I can be aware of what to look for - as you say there really does appear to be a myriad of them.

Thanks
It'll have Bluetooth for phone calls if it has the phone preparation and USB music. BTW if it has PDC it will say Rear if it's not both Front and Rear. Some cars were optioned with only rear (or indeed none).

BTW the chimes for the seat belt are easy enough to code to off

I've attached some files which will help you with options. I had a really good PDF of the BMW brochure that spells out all features the options visually, especially the interior finish choices, but I can't seem to find it
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2013-m3-orderguide-bimmerpost.pdf (266.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: pdf BMW_m3_coupe_catalogue.pdf (760.2 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by netgun; 05-07-2014 at 02:34 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #20
Macca74
Rep

The hunt still continues on my end - slowed down by work getting in the way unfortunately.

One quick question - what is the view on a first service being required around 1,000kms?

I read somewhere (can't recall where) that this was a must on the M3 and certainly some of the service books for cars I am looking at have it. However a couple don't and I have a BMW Dealer telling me it is not required.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 11:15 PM   #21
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca74 View Post
I read somewhere (can't recall where) that this was a must on the M3 and certainly some of the service books for cars I am looking at have it. However a couple don't and I have a BMW Dealer telling me it is not required.

Thanks
Truth = 2000km service is a must and is done without any charge to the owner.
False = is not required

This applies to the run in service when the car is new. That's very interesting to hear that some cars you have come across don't have it. If that's the case I wouldn't touch them.

Good luck with your hunt for a good example as there are plenty out there with people trying to offload before the new one is launched in July in Australia.

The more you drive this car you feel fulfilled - the engine is an epic and anyone who has owned one of these and has redlined them often may feel cheated with the new turbo charged one.

But hey, individual taste changes all the time.

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 03:57 AM   #22
Macca74
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
Truth = 2000km service is a must and is done without any charge to the owner.
False = is not required

This applies to the run in service when the car is new. That's very interesting to hear that some cars you have come across don't have it. If that's the case I wouldn't touch them.
Interesting, thanks. I will take this up with the Dealer who is telling me it is not required (hence why his car doesn't have it in the books as being done).

This is my first M3 so very keen to get the V8. I have been a turbo car driver for a while and love them, however want a change.
Appreciate 0