BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
2jzinsider
Enlisted Member

Drives: e92 m3

advice on first performance mods i should do ?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello everyone, I just picked up my 2011 e92 m3 dtc. So far I installed a borla catless x-pipe with a delete r that I purchased locally for a killer deal.

Part list I plan to do this week or so:
-BMC Performance Air Filter
-upgraded pulley
-tune "Any advice who can do my tune I'm located in the SF bayarea"

Any other simple bolts on mods I can do to make some more hp? What do you guys think of the bmc filter? Is that our only choice for filter upgrades? also whats the best main pulley for our cars?.

please feel free to leave any inputs or advice as I'm super noob to the m3 bmw mod game. I came from a single turbo 2jzgte supra and had a bunch of turbo hondas before that.

thanks!

Last edited by 2jzinsider; 04-28-2014 at 06:06 PM.
      04-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
Beemdog
Woof!

Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Lots of choices for air filters, try searching on them-- a lot of guys like AFE Power filters or the Active Autowerke 'Green' Filter.

Tuning is commonly done remotely by outfits like Evolve, ESS, Mike Benvo at BPM, Alex at Alpine, etc. You just need a laptop in your garage with an Internet connection to do this. All the tuners mentioned are frequently on this forum.

Dinan also does tunes and has a list of shops in the Bay Area that install their products, even BMW dealers.

Last edited by Beemdog; 04-28-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Beemdog is offline   United_States
      04-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
dpgfunk
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3

stickers and a few extra M badges
      04-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
momo3605
Captain

Drives: 328i M Sport

I have Dinan Tune, but the popular ones on the board are Evolve and BPMsport.

Anyway, your list looks good, I also have the BMC filter but I had it installed at the same time as my Test Pipes, soo I didn't notice a difference lol. I plan to get Dinan pulley and Dinan DCT software done soon too.
      04-28-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
2jzinsider
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post
I have Dinan Tune, but the popular ones on the board are Evolve and BPMsport.

Anyway, your list looks good, I also have the BMC filter but I had it installed at the same time as my Test Pipes, soo I didn't notice a difference lol. I plan to get Dinan pulley and Dinan DCT software done soon too.

What's the Dct software? That's not included with a tune?

Anyone know what's good pulley to order? I want to order one tonight lol 😆
      04-30-2014, 03:47 PM   #6
momo3605
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzinsider View Post
What's the Dct software? That's not included with a tune?

Anyone know what's good pulley to order? I want to order one tonight lol 😆
DCT Tune is separate from Engine Tune. Faster shifting, less clunkiness, etc... The dinan tune is only $299 so it's pretty affordable too. Evolve, ESS, and BPMsport make DCT tunes as well. But I think dinan is the cheapest.
      04-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
dmk08
///Maniac

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
DCT Tune is separate from Engine Tune. Faster shifting, less clunkiness, etc... The dinan tune is only $299 so it's pretty affordable too. Evolve, ESS, and BPMsport make DCT tunes as well. But I think dinan is the cheapest.
Evolve is cheaper when bundled w/ engine tune.

I've wondered are these all tunes by these vendors or just the GTS tune? I got it installed the other day and wow what a difference. All the clunks are now gone. D mode still blows. I paddle shift 100%.
      04-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
edwinm3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Evolve is cheaper when bundled w/ engine tune.

I've wondered are these all tunes by these vendors or just the GTS tune? I got it installed the other day and wow what a difference. All the clunks are now gone. D mode still blows. I paddle shift 100%.
Evolve tune includes DCT software for free, and their tune is

Evolve Stage 2, GTS-DCT Software, Akrapovic Exhaust, AA Catless X Pipe, AA Geen Air filter, AA Pulley, Stoptech BBK, KW V3 Coilovers
"If it feels like it's on rails, you're not driving fast enough"
edwinm3 is online now   United_States
      04-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #9
momo3605
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
I asked them recently, they told me the GTS software was an additional fee on top of the tune.
      04-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #10
dozaiya
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 MW E92 M3

Quote:
I asked them recently, they told me the GTS software was an additional fee on top of the tune.
it was free as an introductory promotion, so i guess it's not offered anymore
dozaiya is offline   Taiwan
      04-30-2014, 09:32 PM   #11
edwinm3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3

Quote:
My bad then but one thing for sure though, it is not gonna be a lot of $$$

Evolve Stage 2, GTS-DCT Software, Akrapovic Exhaust, AA Catless X Pipe, AA Geen Air filter, AA Pulley, Stoptech BBK, KW V3 Coilovers
"If it feels like it's on rails, you're not driving fast enough"
edwinm3 is online now   United_States
      05-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #12
5soko
Brigadier General

Drives: M5

Evolve tune, evolve dct software.. I would personally skip the pulley..
      05-01-2014, 07:51 AM   #13
dmk08
///Maniac

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
If it is I got ripped off when I just bought it.. :P
      05-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #14
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The list is pretty simple:

underdrive crank pulley
test pipes or complete catless x-pipe
tune
filter
intake

My opinion is that all the pullies are similar. My preference is those that use off the shelf belts. Buy a used one, but buy new belts. I run a Rogue.

My opinion is that all the filters are similar. K&N has been around longer than the others and is cheaper. If you are buying an intake, the filter may be intake specific and that will dictate your choice. I first ran a K&N, but later bought an intake and had to use the matching filter.

Intakes that may be worthwhile are Dinan, Gruppe M and Macht Schnell. I bought a used MS.

My view is that all the test pipes are very similar. Buy whichever is cheaper.
For x-pipes, I think they are all very similar as well. The biggest question is how much noise do you want and how will it sound mated to your stock or aftermarket exhaust. Personally, I like quad resonated x-pipes like Dinan or Borla, but none were available used when I bought, so I bought a Top Speed x-pipe and added four resonators.

I also think tunes are all very similar, though I am sure the tuners would disagree. Some are more popular than others, but I have not seen any dyno results showing one has much better performance than another. The biggest selling point on tunes might be the features you can get or coding that could be bundled with the tune. For a car with test pipes or x-pipe, you may want software that allows you to pass plug in testing. There are also various methods of flashing the ECU and some allow you to check and read and clear codes in the future while others do not. I personally do not run an ECU flash tune, but I do run a piggyback ECU with water/methanol injection (Vishnu Procede) for octane enhancement that allows increased timing -- increased timing is the primary way to make more power on these engines. If you are in CA, you have 91 octane, which is probably down about 10 rwhp to a 93 octane car if you study the many dynos in the dyno database. With my 93 octane and the water/meth, I am closer to 100 octane when the meth is flowing (only above a certain engine load).

If you do all these usual mods, the car wakes up noticeably and you will gain 10-15% rear wheel horsepower.
      05-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #15
5soko
Brigadier General

Drives: M5

Trust me, not all tunes are created equal.. You would Be surprised how different they can be after trying a car with different tunes. Peak power is one thing which might be similar, but hitting that power consistently and feeling consistent power run after run is where tunes separate themselves, and where evolve shines.. Its a hard game with tunes on a NA engine, esp when most people will only try one tune and think it is great..
      05-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #16
Soorena
Captain

Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
The list is pretty simple:

underdrive crank pulley
test pipes or complete catless x-pipe
tune
filter
intake

My opinion is that all the pullies are similar. My preference is those that use off the shelf belts. Buy a used one, but buy new belts. I run a Rogue.

My opinion is that all the filters are similar. K&N has been around longer than the others and is cheaper. If you are buying an intake, the filter may be intake specific and that will dictate your choice. I first ran a K&N, but later bought an intake and had to use the matching filter.

Intakes that may be worthwhile are Dinan, Gruppe M and Macht Schnell. I bought a used MS.

My view is that all the test pipes are very similar. Buy whichever is cheaper.
For x-pipes, I think they are all very similar as well. The biggest question is how much noise do you want and how will it sound mated to your stock or aftermarket exhaust. Personally, I like quad resonated x-pipes like Dinan or Borla, but none were available used when I bought, so I bought a Top Speed x-pipe and added four resonators.

I also think tunes are all very similar, though I am sure the tuners would disagree. Some are more popular than others, but I have not seen any dyno results showing one has much better performance than another. The biggest selling point on tunes might be the features you can get or coding that could be bundled with the tune. For a car with test pipes or x-pipe, you may want software that allows you to pass plug in testing. There are also various methods of flashing the ECU and some allow you to check and read and clear codes in the future while others do not. I personally do not run an ECU flash tune, but I do run a piggyback ECU with water/methanol injection (Vishnu Procede) for octane enhancement that allows increased timing -- increased timing is the primary way to make more power on these engines. If you are in CA, you have 91 octane, which is probably down about 10 rwhp to a 93 octane car if you study the many dynos in the dyno database. With my 93 octane and the water/meth, I am closer to 100 octane when the meth is flowing (only above a certain engine load).

If you do all these usual mods, the car wakes up noticeably and you will gain 10-15% rear wheel horsepower.
The best answer OP could get.
Soorena is online now   Iran
      05-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #17
dmk08
///Maniac

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
Trust me, not all tunes are created equal.. You would Be surprised how different they can be after trying a car with different tunes. Peak power is one thing which might be similar, but hitting that power consistently and feeling consistent power run after run is where tunes separate themselves, and where evolve shines.. Its a hard game with tunes on a NA engine, esp when most people will only try one tune and think it is great..
Agreed. Exactly why I went Evolve on this car after having BPM on my old car. I wanted to see one of the other sides.
      05-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #18
2jzinsider
Enlisted Member

thanks every one for the inputs. planning to use Evolve just because..not even sure why to be honest! lol But so far i have my dinan pully,barola x pipe non catted,intake. I have a local shop to me that specializes with ess tunning stuff so they carry/install all the ess tunes. should i go with ess tune or just stick with the evolve tune? anyone here use both before? thanks