BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
Bastet
Second Lieutenant
Bastet's Avatar
Belgium
7
Rep
230
Posts

 
Drives: M3 E92 aka 'Batmobile'
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

M3 coupé real fuel consumption in liters

Hello !

I'm a newbie here, so don't shoot me for the stupid question I'm going to ask ... I've been trying to find the real fuel consumption of the M3 in LITERS/km - the brochure says +/- 17 l/100km on urban cycle and I'd like to know how realistic this is ? Obviously it depends on how you drive, that I do know, but in a 'normal' weekly use (in the city, no motorways, no showing off ) is the number 17 even remotely close to the reality ? We should order our 'new baby' in December or January, but I'd just like to figure out the fuel consumption part...

Many thanks in advance !
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #2
wilkoal
Private First Class
3
Rep
130
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastet View Post
Hello !

I'm a newbie here, so don't shoot me for the stupid question I'm going to ask ... I've been trying to find the real fuel consumption of the M3 in LITERS/km - the brochure says +/- 17 l/100km on urban cycle and I'd like to know how realistic this is ? Obviously it depends on how you drive, that I do know, but in a 'normal' weekly use (in the city, no motorways, no showing off ) is the number 17 even remotely close to the reality ? We should order our 'new baby' in December or January, but I'd just like to figure out the fuel consumption part...

Many thanks in advance !
During my test drives I was getting between 5 to 6 km/l. The break-even speed to have 10 km/l is about 95 km/h.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
argonboy
First Lieutenant
argonboy's Avatar
3
Rep
306
Posts

 
Drives: M3 E92 Space Gray
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bucharest, Romania

iTrader: (1)

Hey, I've just got about 115km on board. I've refueled once at 39km, and restarted the average consumption meter. It has given me 17-18l/100km when I was driving it like an average car, but it's now at 26.8l/100km, since I showed my friends how the car is (meaning 1st, 2nd, 3rd with quick shifts up to 4000-5000rpm).

If you drive with POWER on normal it tells you to shift really low to save gas, and you would be able to achieve decent economy. Don't expect any sort of good figures when you drive fast.

The cars at the M3 Drive Event at Nurburgring (I've attended on August 18th) were getting slightly above 30L/100km on the racetrack from what I remember.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 01:27 AM   #4
Pretender
Colonel
Pretender's Avatar
33
Rep
2,292
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 328i
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by argonboy View Post
Hey, I've just got about 115km on board. I've refueled once at 39km, and restarted the average consumption meter. It has given me 17-18l/100km when I was driving it like an average car, but it's now at 26.8l/100km, since I showed my friends how the car is (meaning 1st, 2nd, 3rd with quick shifts up to 4000-5000rpm).

If you drive with POWER on normal it tells you to shift really low to save gas, and you would be able to achieve decent economy. Don't expect any sort of good figures when you drive fast.

The cars at the M3 Drive Event at Nurburgring (I've attended on August 18th) were getting slightly above 30L/100km on the racetrack from what I remember.
Damn...that's 9-15miles/gal (city-freeway). Welcome to the $4/gal price in the US. I'm driving ~300 miles/week, so it'll be ~20-30 gal or $80-$120/week or $350-$500/month...wow.
So the manual listed 13-25 mpg (city-freeway) and 19mpg combined is totally bullshit claim. From my experience, you'll get the lowest number which is 13mpg combined.
__________________
It's a great time to be alive

Last edited by Pretender; 11-15-2007 at 01:48 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #5
Bastet
Second Lieutenant
Bastet's Avatar
Belgium
7
Rep
230
Posts

 
Drives: M3 E92 aka 'Batmobile'
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Many thanks for your comments ! We'd love to do the Nurburg ring training - maybe next spring... If all goes well tomorrow we should be ordering our M3 this Saturday
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 05:57 AM   #6
savage.ulm1
First Lieutenant
savage.ulm1's Avatar
Italy
25
Rep
398
Posts

 
Drives: M3 E92
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Italy

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastet View Post
Hello !

I'm a newbie here, so don't shoot me for the stupid question I'm going to ask ... I've been trying to find the real fuel consumption of the M3 in LITERS/km - the brochure says +/- 17 l/100km on urban cycle and I'd like to know how realistic this is ? Obviously it depends on how you drive, that I do know, but in a 'normal' weekly use (in the city, no motorways, no showing off ) is the number 17 even remotely close to the reality ? We should order our 'new baby' in December or January, but I'd just like to figure out the fuel consumption part...

Many thanks in advance !
Hi.
I made a trip to Czech Republic from Italy two days ago.
I would like to post the pics as soon as I will download (regarding the on board computer).
I can tell that with an average speed of about 124km/h on highway (this means that most of the time I was above 150 km/h of true speed) the fuel consumption was 7,9-8km/lt after 700 km. I have the pics . I will post them. I have converted in UK gallons and if I remember well it was an not bad 22.3mph for Uk gallons . In the city you will run about 5,8-6 km-lt.This is my experience after 3000 km on the new M3.
8km-lt at that average speed with 420 hp is a good number in my personal opinion. I am used to make this trip twice a month. In the last four years I used an Audi S4 (344hp). The same trip needed always (at same average speed) something similar to 6,8 km-lt (19 uk gallons-mph).
bye
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
savage.ulm1
First Lieutenant
savage.ulm1's Avatar
Italy
25
Rep
398
Posts

 
Drives: M3 E92
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Italy

iTrader: (0)

pics of that trip

The first two pics were taken (sorry for the quality) during my arrival to Wien . All the first leg was done on highway. Average speed like you see is high. Consider that I was really often over the indicated 150km/h . About 700 km trip.The last pic shows the final destination. After Wien (first pics) I made about 170 km (more than 100 mph) driving inside Wien for 30 km, and on normal road up to the final destination in Czech Republic for other 130 km. There was also traffic due to the hour of arrival.This is why that average speed dropped down from the initial 77,3 mph.But the consumption was after this, a little better. You can see UK gallons and liters.
bye
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
southlight's Avatar
609
Rep
6,748
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Just out of curiosity: Why do you have set your trip computer to mpg instead of L/100km?

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #9
savage.ulm1
First Lieutenant
savage.ulm1's Avatar
Italy
25
Rep
398
Posts

 
Drives: M3 E92
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Italy

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Just out of curiosity: Why do you have set your trip computer to mpg instead of L/100km?

Best regards, south
for this Forum South
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 12:50 PM   #10
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
southlight's Avatar
609
Rep
6,748
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage.ulm1 View Post
for this Forum South
That's very kind!


Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 12:57 PM   #11
Big Windy
Major General
Big Windy's Avatar
United_States
71
Rep
5,118
Posts

 
Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: seatac, wa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
im not sure if you also track MPG based on fuel receipts and your odometer, but i'd be curious to see if they match up well with what iDrive is telling you. my 335i was notorious for lying about consumption. i would always track how many miles i covered between fuel-ups and then how much fuel i put in...not an exact science, but i like this way just for the hell of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #12
savage.ulm1
First Lieutenant
savage.ulm1's Avatar
Italy
25
Rep
398
Posts

 
Drives: M3 E92
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Italy

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmtclimber View Post
im not sure if you also track MPG based on fuel receipts and your odometer, but i'd be curious to see if they match up well with what iDrive is telling you. my 335i was notorious for lying about consumption. i would always track how many miles i covered between fuel-ups and then how much fuel i put in...not an exact science, but i like this way just for the hell of it.

Good suggestion for the future...keep in touch...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 09:51 PM   #13
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,649
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage.ulm1 View Post
The first two pics were taken (sorry for the quality) during my arrival to Wien . All the first leg was done on highway. Average speed like you see is high. Consider that I was really often over the indicated 150km/h . About 700 km trip.The last pic shows the final destination. After Wien (first pics) I made about 170 km (more than 100 mph) driving inside Wien for 30 km, and on normal road up to the final destination in Czech Republic for other 130 km. There was also traffic due to the hour of arrival.This is why that average speed dropped down from the initial 77,3 mph.But the consumption was after this, a little better. You can see UK gallons and liters.
bye
So for US MPG we muliply by 0.83?
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 03:18 AM   #14
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
215
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
So for US MPG we muliply by 0.83?
Yup, .83.....

I'm lazy, I just use this nice web page.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 04:16 AM   #15
Bastet
Second Lieutenant
Bastet's Avatar
Belgium
7
Rep
230
Posts

 
Drives: M3 E92 aka 'Batmobile'
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Cheers Savage.ulm1 for all this precious info ! Our new baby was ordered yesterday All black with tinted windows (we call it the batman car) ! - now we'll have to kill time for three months ... On the other hand, now that the order has been placed it's really quite exciting and three months waiting is not that bad. It's always the last week which is the most difficult, when the vendor tells that the car has arrived here, but the paperwork still needs doing with the local administration - THAT is the real pain ! Anyway, in three months...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 05:56 PM   #16
savage.ulm1
First Lieutenant
savage.ulm1's Avatar
Italy
25
Rep
398
Posts

 
Drives: M3 E92
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Italy

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastet View Post
Cheers Savage.ulm1 for all this precious info ! Our new baby was ordered yesterday All black with tinted windows (we call it the batman car) ! - now we'll have to kill time for three months ... On the other hand, now that the order has been placed it's really quite exciting and three months waiting is not that bad. It's always the last week which is the most difficult, when the vendor tells that the car has arrived here, but the paperwork still needs doing with the local administration - THAT is the real pain ! Anyway, in three months...
Thanks...I understand what you mean...Be patient...
Today I visited the track of Brno (Cz Republic). During my coming back at home I noted this consumption:

distance :120 km (20 of them into the city of Brno)
max speed : no more than 120 km/h
Tipology : normal Statal road
average consumption : 9,9 km/lt....
I am satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 07:22 PM   #17
chonko
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
369
Posts

 
Drives: X6 50i/2008 X5 4.8i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Undercover

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage.ulm1 View Post
Thanks...I understand what you mean...Be patient...
Today I visited the track of Brno (Cz Republic). During my coming back at home I noted this consumption:

distance :120 km (20 of them into the city of Brno)
max speed : no more than 120 km/h
Tipology : normal Statal road
average consumption : 9,9 km/lt....
I am satisfied.

That is good, 23.4 US mpg with 84% HWY driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 02:09 AM   #18
savage.ulm1
First Lieutenant
savage.ulm1's Avatar
Italy
25
Rep
398
Posts

 
Drives: M3 E92
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Italy

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonko View Post
That is good, 23.4 US mpg with 84% HWY driving.
Sorry but I meant not highway. Only normal roads (main roads anyway) . In Italy we call them Statal road. Bye
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 03:13 AM   #19
Bastet
Second Lieutenant
Bastet's Avatar
Belgium
7
Rep
230
Posts

 
Drives: M3 E92 aka 'Batmobile'
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Now you really made my day ! The most difficult thing, of course, will be to keep the foot only 'lightly' on the accelerator
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 10:34 AM   #20
chonko
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
369
Posts

 
Drives: X6 50i/2008 X5 4.8i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Undercover

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage.ulm1 View Post
Sorry but I meant not highway. Only normal roads (main roads anyway) . In Italy we call them Statal road. Bye
That is even better
Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 11:58 AM   #21
Deej
New Member
Australia
0
Rep
12
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 (Jerez/Bamboo) / X5
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Perth, Western Australia

iTrader: (0)

Im getting 17L per 100 km.

So far 1600 k's traveled.

Deej
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 12:22 PM   #22
chonko
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
369
Posts

 
Drives: X6 50i/2008 X5 4.8i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Undercover

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deej View Post
Im getting 17L per 100 km.

So far 1600 k's traveled.

Deej
You must be driving like you stole it..
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST