BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

INDustry distribution

04-17-2015, 09:03 AM   #1
vincE92M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Almost time to replace FF & RR brakes.... OEM vs. BBK

It's almost time to replace my front and rear rotors and pads. Seems like the OEM parts would still end up being a sizable amount even If I did the labor myself.

I haven't gone around pricing different BBK out, but is it significantly more expensive to upgrade to a BBK all together (maybe a couple hundred dollars difference)?

I do occasional mountain runs and 1 or 2 HPDE events a year. Would this be worthwhile or sticking with OEM replacements be the practical thing to do?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
C-ARchitect
Banned
Rep
Drives: Miniature Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincE92M3 View Post
It's almost time to replace my front and rear rotors and pads. Seems like the OEM parts would still end up being a sizable amount even If I did the labor myself.

I haven't gone around pricing different BBK out, but is it significantly more expensive to upgrade to a BBK all together (maybe a couple hundred dollars difference)?

I do occasional mountain runs and 1 or 2 HPDE events a year. Would this be worthwhile or sticking with OEM replacements be the practical thing to do?

Thanks
A full BBK would be a couple thousand dollars more than just replacement rotors and pads. They sure do look nice though

If you're just doing 1 or 2 track days a year just get track pads and SS brake lines and you'll be good to go
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 11:08 AM   #3
Richbot
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

If you're worried about cost, replace the fronts with a 355mm Stoptech kit and use OEM rears. You'll get 99% of the performance of some of the expensive front and rear setups at 1/3 of the cost.
      04-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
EJT86
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 DCT

If I were you I'd grab this StopTech TROPHY kit for $4500...you will EASILY sell for the same price after you're done using it

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...-specials.aspx

I'm actually pretty upset I found this I just paid a lil more for a regular st60 kit and Turner is only 35mim from me
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #5
vincE92M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot
If you're worried about cost, replace the fronts with a 355mm Stoptech kit and use OEM rears. You'll get 99% of the performance of some of the expensive front and rear setups at 1/3 of the cost.
This maybe a good solution.

Which front BBK is typically the best bang for the buck?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #6
dbyrd
S65 for life!
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ARchitect
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincE92M3 View Post

Thanks
A full BBK would be a couple thousand dollars more than just replacement rotors and pads. They sure do look nice though

If you're just doing 1 or 2 track days a year just get track pads and SS brake lines and you'll be good to go
+1

If your interest is function, you only need the BBK if tracking more.
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s with Apex studs / NT-01s or RE-71Rs / Stoptech Trophy ST-60/ST-40 / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / CSF Radiator (not installed on current car - considering selling this so PM me)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
vincE92M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
You guys are probably right. A BBK would likely be overkill for my uses.

I have a tendency to want to upgrade components if it's time to replace them anyhow!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 08:57 PM   #8
anselmw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
If I were you I'd grab this StopTech TROPHY kit for $4500...you will EASILY sell for the same price after you're done using it

I'm actually pretty upset I found this I just paid a lil more for a regular st60 kit and Turner is only 35mim from me
I am thinking about picking this up but does anyone know if 19" BBS LM's will clear these brakes in stock wheel offsets?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 01:04 AM   #9
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post

I am thinking about picking this up but does anyone know if 19" BBS LM's will clear these brakes in stock wheel offsets?
Ansel. So hot right now.

What are LMs doing on your e92?! This isn't a game.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 07:37 AM   #10
beyondM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Silverstone II E90 ZCP

I was in the same situation. I ended up picking up a set of lightly used st60/st40 setup. Couldn't be happier with my choice. I used to swap pads from street to track pads on the stock setup. Now I just run the street pads on the bbk all the time.

I think there's a set for sale for 3500 in yellow right now in Florida.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 06:11 AM   #11
apexkingjusto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Nasa ST2 S2000

I just posted an Alcon front and rear kit for $2k. Needs rotors for front, maybe machine down rear a bit. Pads have a little life left 1/3.

Porterfield quoted me $700 for custom rotors for front... Not bad at all
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 08:38 AM   #12
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Cadillac CTS-V

It can be very tempting to just buy replacement OEM parts, but they are a terrible long-term investment. Once they're used up they're trash. With a quality BBK, you can sell them when you move on to your next car and recoup a large portion of your investment. You'll get to enjoy a laundry list of benefits during your time of owning the BBK, and they will improve your driving and lap times. Below are a couple vids we did that cover these topics. They're focused around our Essex Designed AP Racing Competition BBK's, but many of the items hold true regardless of the BBK you're considering.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #13
pyrocpu
Rep
Drives: AW E90 "340is" ;)

Jeff speaks the truth!
I swear, every single time I log in here to see what's the latest on braking alternatives, Jeff's on top of it... I swear he's brainwashing me.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 08:41 AM   #14
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrocpu View Post
Jeff speaks the truth!
I swear, every single time I log in here to see what's the latest on braking alternatives, Jeff's on top of it... I swear he's brainwashing me.
You are NOT looking for these droids...

Here's a great post from one of our customers on the economics of our brake kits. He works for Chin Motorsports and tracks his car nearly every weekend. He illustrates how the BBK pays for itself very quickly, and over the long-haul ends up costing about 1/4 of what running the OEM consumables (pads and discs) costs. I always tell people that if they track their car regularly, the kit will easily pay for itself in 2-3 years.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #15
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

In an extremely rare instance of poetic timing, one of our Corvette customers literally just posted his review of our CP5060/355mm Essex Designed AP Racing Competition Brake Kit. The kit he's running is essentially identical to our kit for the e9x M3. He touches on nearly all of the points discussed in this thread, including both performance and cost savings. His experience is pretty typical of what we see when someone installs one of our BBK's. As someone who has been down the path of brake problems at the track, it makes me very proud to hear about how we transformed the experience he was having with his car.

Here's what he wrote:

Quote:
I just completed my 24th track day, and have done many auto-x and test and tunes. My 2003 Z06 had serious brake issues--boiling fluid, dangerous long petal, (pumping brakes at the end of straights) constant maintenance replacing rotors and pads, endless buying expensive fluid and bleeding of brakes, and concerns about overheating the front hubs. I was bleeding brakes during track time, and constantly questioning if the cracks in the rotors I was running was going to cause a catastrophic failure. All in all, it was spoiling my track time, and causing a lot of risk and worry. I even thought of disposing of the car, and going to a dedicated track car. After a lot of research I called Jeff Ritter for advice, thinking I would go with what used to be called the "sprint" kit, which was less costly than the "endurance" kit. Jeff was a wealth of knowledge, and genuinely thought I should go with the endurance kit, and it was the best decision I have made regarding the z06 I love.

The order came quickly, and I couldn't wait to try these impressive looking parts. I've now done 6 track days at 3 tracks, and NO maintenance or expense since installing them. Every issue listed above has been solved. This BBK works flawlessly with the stock rear calipers, I do have matching pads front and rear that Jeff recommended. The only thing I should have done differently was have the new rotors burnished, so I didn't have to guess if it was done to the optimal level, but I guess I got it good enough. With Nitto NTO1's, 305/18 square, on all Z06 stock rear 18 wheels stock offset (you need to go 18 to fit this kit), the car is a track weapon. At the auto-x test and tune, I could never catch a 20 year guy in an identical car. Both on Michelins, for the first time I posted a faster time than him, and this is only my 2nd year. On the track, I have more confidence and have never had to pump the petal. The brakes have great bite, so it's easy to threshold brake and heel/toe. I'm faster on the straights, braking later and harder, with no worries. In fact, of all the benefits, for me freedom from worry is the greatest benefit. But, also, exactly what Jeff said is happening--I'm SAVING money now on brakes so they are in effect paying me back--never mind wasting precious track time. This is an honest description of my experience--go find another mod that SAVES money!

One thing: it's easy to envision air bubbles clinging to the inside of a new caliper or line, and taking a long time to break loose and rise to the bleeder. Use a piece if soft 2x4 wood, and tap the new caliper pretty hard to dislodge air bubbles so you don't have to re-bleed. BTW, with this kit you can bleed the fronts WITHOUT taking the wheel off--fantastic! My only wish is that I didn't have to cough up so much for this BBK, but since it's paying me back it will just take a bit longer, but in the meanwhile I'm convinced I'm enjoying the best brakes I could find anywhere, and smart coaching from these guys.
- See more at: http://www.essexparts.com/news-blog/....D1z40xMZ.dpuf
Appreciate 1