BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-29-2014, 12:38 AM   #23
NemesisX
Captain

Drives: '08 335i

I honestly think the ambiguity in our current traffic laws offers fertile ground for nurturing and encouraging road rage.

I agree with Devious that the lady was in violation of traffic laws, as was the guy in the truck (reckless driving by following too closely i.e. tailgating).

Imagine if we had the following rules of the road instead:

Speed limit in the right lane = 70 MPH, no exceptions and traffic permitting
Speed limit in the left lane = 85 MPH, no exceptions and traffic permitting

I'm not a fan of the fact that the ambiguity with the term "passing" invites people to rage if someone goes 80 MPH on a 70 MPH highway in the fast lane. This isn't relevant to the video posted in this thread, but this is a situation I see all the time. The slow lane is traveling at 75 MPH. The fast lane is traveling at 85 MPH. Someone inevitably will come up behind and start tailgating because he or she wants to do 90+. According to the law, everyone going 85 in the passing lane is in violation because they aren't moving over for the guy who wants to do 90 even though the people doing 85 in the fast lane are technically "passing" people in the slow lane. Also according to the law, the guy doing 90 is guilty of reckless driving and should have his license suspended (or at bare minimum he should be subject to a heavy fine so as to discourage this level of speeding in the future).

The laws here just don't seem consistent.
      03-29-2014, 03:11 AM   #24
Devious21
Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
I honestly think the ambiguity in our current traffic laws offers fertile ground for nurturing and encouraging road rage.

I agree with Devious that the lady was in violation of traffic laws, as was the guy in the truck (reckless driving by following too closely i.e. tailgating).

Imagine if we had the following rules of the road instead:

Speed limit in the right lane = 70 MPH, no exceptions and traffic permitting
Speed limit in the left lane = 85 MPH, no exceptions and traffic permitting

I'm not a fan of the fact that the ambiguity with the term "passing" invites people to rage if someone goes 80 MPH on a 70 MPH highway in the fast lane. This isn't relevant to the video posted in this thread, but this is a situation I see all the time. The slow lane is traveling at 75 MPH. The fast lane is traveling at 85 MPH. Someone inevitably will come up behind and start tailgating because he or she wants to do 90+. According to the law, everyone going 85 in the passing lane is in violation because they aren't moving over for the guy who wants to do 90 even though the people doing 85 in the fast lane are technically "passing" people in the slow lane. Also according to the law, the guy doing 90 is guilty of reckless driving and should have his license suspended (or at bare minimum he should be subject to a heavy fine so as to discourage this level of speeding in the future).

The laws here just don't seem consistent.
If everyone in front and behind you is going 10MPH faster than everyone in the slower lane, you are technically passing them. And if everyone but one person is going 85MPH, then 85mph is the "normal speed of traffic".

Quote:
The Uniform Vehicle Code states:

Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic ...

Note that this law refers to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed of traffic.

But if you're in the front of the pack and everyone is behind you going the same speed, it may be because you're holding literally everyone up but they are all driving safely and not tailgating.

Whenever I'm the "lead car" I pull right for a bit to see if the person behind me attempts to pass. If they hold my speed and jump back over. And when there's heavy traffic and you can clearly see everyone in front of you is going as fast as they can, in my experience, people normally don't try to pass as there's no where to pass to.

At the end of the day, if someone cannot pass you on the left, they can only pass on the right which is illegal and dangerous. Even if failing to yield wasn't illegal, slower traffic should always try to move right for safety and just basic human courtesy.

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strmung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Devious21 is offline   No_Country
      03-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #25
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

i can't find the actual laws in the 2.3 minutes i dedicated to searching for them, but i did find this article dated July 2013.

Quote:
You're cruising along your local interstate, passing folks who choose to go a bit slower than you. You're driving responsibly by passing on the left, and then ducking back into the middle or right lane when it's open.

This is how it should be, and it shows you understand the rules of the road. There comes that time, however, when you again need to pass a few cars so you head back out into the far left lane. There's that car... the one plodding along and not moving over no matter what the traffic conditions looks like.

This person is a left-lane loser, and they are the bane of many a motorist's existence. Thankfully there are a few states where this type of behavior is not tolerated, and now Florida can be added to that list.

A new law goes into effect starting in Florida today, July 1st, that will allow police officers to pull over and ticket folks going below the speed limit in the left lane. The offending driver must be going at least 10 miles per hour below the posted speed limit in order to catch the wraith of the local 5-0. The infraction will be $60 and three points. We also think the offending drivers should be forced to attend a class explaining why they're terrible people, but perhaps we get a bit worked up regarding this matter.

Since it's a new law, there will be a three- to six-month period where cops can issue warnings instead of tickets. Additionally, if the driver is speeding and hogging the left lane, the speeding ticket will take precedence over simply being planted in the left lane and not getting over. That's fine with us, we're just happy that cops will be paying attention to folks who think the passing lane is actually a cruise-control, non-mirror-using, all-that-matters-is-me, um, lane.
Of course, according to this, they must be traveling 10mph under the posted speed limit. No mention of normal traffic speed.

Either way, the lady was traveling on a 4 lane highway with left turn lanes every 8th of a mile or so. There is no way the speed limit on that road was any more than what she was traveling with all the turn lanes and intersections.

In my opinion it was annoying at best to find this lady in the left lane. Not worthy of truck driver's actions. Although, some would find his consequences matched his actions.

Ok, had to EDIT: Just watched the video again and not only are there several turn lanes and intersections in that short video, she was passing vehicles that were in the right lane. She didn't just creep past them either, she overtook them by no less than 5mph. And as the jackass is passing her you can see residential houses in the back ground. No way the speed limit is more than 60.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." Frdric Bastiat

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 03-29-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
      03-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #26
Devious21
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka
i can't find the actual laws in the 2.3 minutes i dedicated to searching for them, but i did find this article dated July 2013.

Quote:
You're cruising along your local interstate, passing folks who choose to go a bit slower than you. You're driving responsibly by passing on the left, and then ducking back into the middle or right lane when it's open.

This is how it should be, and it shows you understand the rules of the road. There comes that time, however, when you again need to pass a few cars so you head back out into the far left lane. There's that car... the one plodding along and not moving over no matter what the traffic conditions looks like.

This person is a left-lane loser, and they are the bane of many a motorist's existence. Thankfully there are a few states where this type of behavior is not tolerated, and now Florida can be added to that list.

A new law goes into effect starting in Florida today, July 1st, that will allow police officers to pull over and ticket folks going below the speed limit in the left lane. The offending driver must be going at least 10 miles per hour below the posted speed limit in order to catch the wraith of the local 5-0. The infraction will be $60 and three points. We also think the offending drivers should be forced to attend a class explaining why they're terrible people, but perhaps we get a bit worked up regarding this matter.

Since it's a new law, there will be a three- to six-month period where cops can issue warnings instead of tickets. Additionally, if the driver is speeding and hogging the left lane, the speeding ticket will take precedence over simply being planted in the left lane and not getting over. That's fine with us, we're just happy that cops will be paying attention to folks who think the passing lane is actually a cruise-control, non-mirror-using, all-that-matters-is-me, um, lane.
Of course, according to this, they must be traveling 10mph under the posted speed limit. No mention of normal traffic speed.

Either way, the lady was traveling on a 4 lane highway with left turn lanes every 8th of a mile or so. There is no way the speed limit on that road was any more than what she was traveling with all the turn lanes and intersections.

In my opinion it was annoying at best to find this lady in the left lane. Not worthy of truck driver's actions. Although, some would find his consequences matched his actions.

Ok, had to EDIT: Just watched the video again and not only are there several turn lanes and intersections in that short video, she was passing vehicles that were in the right lane. She didn't just creep past them either, she overtook them by no less than 5mph. And as the jackass is passing her you can see residential houses in the back ground. No way the speed limit is more than 60.
She mentions that she's being tailed for a few minutes before she starts filming and in the beginning of the video, you can see her start to go faster that the large truck next to her (it starts to enter frame while she's filming from behind) but then slows again and rides along beside it. This is around when she's showing her speed (you can see the trucking that she's keeping pace with around 4 seconds in).

Later in the video she speeds up and DOES start to pass the trucks (after she's given you a good look at the guy and her speed). When she finally passes the trucks, she doesn't get over. She passes both trucks and he passes on the right. This is the reason slow traffic is supposed to move right so that people don't pass on the right, which is dangerous. But it's important to note that before she starts filming and at the beginning of the video, she isn't passing, which is what's getting the guy behind her riled up and why he's tailgating.

I'm not sure what the 2013 law was, that they're referring to in that article but it may have included language that specified the fine/punishment and language for enforcement, which is why it was narrowed to people below the speed limit.

Here's language in Floridas vehicle code:
http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/316.081

Quote:
316.081 Driving on right side of roadway; exceptions.—
(1) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:
(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;

(b) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway; provided any person so doing shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within such distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;
(c) Upon a roadway divided into three marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable thereon; or
(d) Upon a roadway designated and signposted for one-way traffic.
(2) Upon all roadways, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(3) Upon any roadway having four or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for two-way movement of traffic, no vehicle shall be driven to the left of the centerline of the roadway, except when authorized by official traffic control devices designating certain lanes to the left side of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use such lanes, or except as permitted under paragraph (1)(b). However, this subsection shall not be construed as prohibiting the crossing of the centerline in making a left turn into or from an alley, private road, or driveway.
(4) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.

When I watch that video, I see a woman who didn't like that someone was traveling faster than her. She felt she was entitled to sit in that lane. She blocked him in, which made him angry. The guy lost his temper and started driving recklessly by tailgating, which then encouraged her further to not to let him by as well as film the incident.

She could have let him over. He could have followed at a safe distance and flashed his highs. It may not have worked and might have encouraged the same behavior from her but it would have been safer and more responsible.

I see two stupid people doing stupid things which lead to a bad situation. She also laughs when he wrecks. She would have felt pretty terrible (at least I hope) if he would have been badly injured or killed.

Last edited by Devious21; 03-29-2014 at 12:26 PM.
      03-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #27
Devious21
Lieutenant

Also interesting to note, I came across a forum thread of different state police discussing people sitting in the passing lane.

One civy asks them why they don't pull more people over for it. One trooper responds that in order for them to do that, they have to catch people doing it. And while people may sit there and block in the average joe, most people move right over when there's a cop tailing you.

Unless you're this guy

03-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #28
RambleJ
Colonel

Drives: F10 535i M-sport

I was pulled over in Texas while driving back to Dallas from New Mexico. The reason why I was pulled over was because after passing a couple cars in the left lane I took too long to get back in the right lane. The right lane is for passing only.
RambleJ is offline   No_Country
      03-29-2014, 10:42 PM   #29
NemesisX
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
Also interesting to note, I came across a forum thread of different state police discussing people sitting in the passing lane.

One civy asks them why they don't pull more people over for it. One trooper responds that in order for them to do that, they have to catch people doing it. And while people may sit there and block in the average joe, most people move right over when there's a cop tailing you.

Unless you're this guy
That's pretty reckless behavior from the cop, though. The slow driver is just an annoyance, but that cop was putting a lot of people in danger by tailgating that close.

If he really wanted to pull the guy over, he should've maintained a safe distance and turned his lights on. Hopefully the slow driver moves and then that's that.

Tailgating accomplished nothing other than putting a bunch of people in danger. It is a funny video though but it's a little disconcerting that so many people (including cops) are so cavalier when it comes to driving.
      03-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #30
NemesisX
Captain

Hell here's an even better option - the cop should've just safely pulled the slow driver over and straight up issued him a citation. That way the slow driver will think twice about illegally hogging the left lane.

Like honestly when I see that video I think:

1) The slow driver deserves a $200+ citation for impeding traffic in the passing lane
2) The officer deserves a $1000+ class C misdemeanor for reckless driving
      03-29-2014, 11:04 PM   #31
Casca
Captain

Drives: E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
She may actually be liable in some way.
That'd be great if she is and was held accountable for her actions. Because she very much caused this along with him.
      03-30-2014, 12:19 AM   #32
schoy
Private First Class

Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casca View Post
That'd be great if she is and was held accountable for her actions. Because she very much caused this along with him.
How so? Is it only because she was recording his behavior on her phone?
      03-30-2014, 09:02 AM   #33
upstatedoc
Drone Expert

Drives: '09 BMW 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
most people move right over when there's a cop tailing you.

Unless you're this guy
love that vid. i've seriously contemplated white led flashers (legal in NY) for just such an occasion.

In new yawk, you can be ticketed for "failure to keep right"
Countermeasure enthusiast.
      03-31-2014, 11:56 PM   #34
zx10guy
Private

Drives: 2013 135i

Interview with the woman who shot the video:

04-01-2014, 12:39 AM   #35
NemesisX
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Interview with the woman who shot the video:

Interesting. According to the news reporter she allegedly speeds up to prevent that guy from passing.