BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
GT Haus
View Poll Results: which is the better setup?
keep the M3 and add a Cayman S 15 25.86%
forget the M3/cayman. Go for the GT3 and a cheap daily beater 43 74.14%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #23
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 12,376
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
It makes no sense to me to spend most of your driving time in a cheap beater if you love to drive. Decide on a budget then split that budget relatively evenly between two cars that will give you different yet equally enjoyable driving experiences. For example, if my total budget was $100k, I might buy an Infiniti Q50 and a 370Z. Or a used Cayman S and new 328.

Just don't buy one spectacular vehicle that you will hardly drive, and another "beater" that you will drive all the time.

This is why I have an S6 (my DD) and an M3. I bought both cars new and built to order. For the same money, I could have bought a used Gallardo and a Nissan Altima as a DD, but then 90% of the time, I would be driving an Altima.
Good thought, I would add you want 2 very different vehicles as well so you have some variety.
1MOREMOD is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #24
ChrisF
Private First Class
 
ChrisF's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP, '10 997.2 GT3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Marin

Posts: 159
iTrader: (0)

GT3 + cheap DD; no question.

I started looking at .1 GT3's back in '09 and decided to spend a little less and bought an new 987.2 Cayman S. DD'd and tracked it for a year and a half. Great car. The lack of power started to get boring and I was at a point where I wanted to dump money into it for suspension, power mods etc. I realized, but the time I was done, I'd be into it for near the price of a GT3 so I bought one. The GT3 is BY FAR the greatest car I have ever owned and I smile each and ever time I open the garage or drive it. No other car has done that for me and I've owned quite a few. Coming from a guy with automotive A.D.D. (SQUIRREL!), that says a lot.

If you can shut off the part of your brain that worries about depreciation, you could DD one for sure. Raise the ride height, buy several front splitters and buy street rubber and you're good to go. As far as general depreciation goes, I think in the next several years, they are unlikely to move much at all. The Porsche market is just nuts.
ChrisF is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #25
Petros
Major
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,102
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
It makes no sense to me to spend most of your driving time in a cheap beater if you love to drive. Decide on a budget then split that budget relatively evenly between two cars that will give you different yet equally enjoyable driving experiences. For example, if my total budget was $100k, I might buy an Infiniti Q50 and a 370Z. Or a used Cayman S and new 328.

Just don't buy one spectacular vehicle that you will hardly drive, and another "beater" that you will drive all the time.

This is why I have an S6 (my DD) and an M3. I bought both cars new and built to order. For the same money, I could have bought a used Gallardo and a Nissan Altima as a DD, but then 90% of the time, I would be driving an Altima.
Totally agree. I actually don't think there is a point in having a GT3 if it's not for the track. It's not exactly a practical or comfortable car to daily drive, and it's way too expensive for an occasional weekend spirited drive and then back to storage.
Petros is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #26
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Major
 
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: B-roads

Posts: 1,048
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Totally agree. I actually don't think there is a point in having a GT3 if it's not for the track. It's not exactly a practical or comfortable car to daily drive, and it's way too expensive for an occasional weekend spirited drive and then back to storage.
Its such a very special car but is plenty comfortable to drive anytime/anywhere. It makes a great street car and an unbelievable track car.
__________________
IPE/Gintani

Last edited by Wolfinwolfsclothing; 03-22-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Wolfinwolfsclothing is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #27
Petros
Major
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,102
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
Disagree, its such a special car but can be daily driven if need be.
oh hey look who's back! Here's a welcome back gift:



Petros is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2014, 09:26 PM   #28
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Major
 
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: B-roads

Posts: 1,048
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
oh hey look who's back! Here's a welcome back gift:



So funny I forgot to laugh. :roll eyes:
__________________
IPE/Gintani
Wolfinwolfsclothing is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #29
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Major
 
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: B-roads

Posts: 1,048
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
GT3 + cheap DD; no question.

I started looking at .1 GT3's back in '09 and decided to spend a little less and bought an new 987.2 Cayman S. DD'd and tracked it for a year and a half. Great car. The lack of power started to get boring and I was at a point where I wanted to dump money into it for suspension, power mods etc. I realized, but the time I was done, I'd be into it for near the price of a GT3 so I bought one. The GT3 is BY FAR the greatest car I have ever owned and I smile each and ever time I open the garage or drive it. No other car has done that for me and I've owned quite a few. Coming from a guy with automotive A.D.D. (SQUIRREL!), that says a lot.

If you can shut off the part of your brain that worries about depreciation, you could DD one for sure. Raise the ride height, buy several front splitters and buy street rubber and you're good to go. As far as general depreciation goes, I think in the next several years, they are unlikely to move much at all. The Porsche market is just nuts.
The best sports car ever made with the most successful race block in it, yea, I don't see the prices dropping much.
At the same time, the new GT3 motor is something very special indeed. One of the best engines out there by far. Porsche keeps pushing the envelope on their engines to rarified territory for street going cars and yet almost everyone else is doing the complete opposite.
__________________
IPE/Gintani
Wolfinwolfsclothing is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2014, 10:02 PM   #30
attila
Lieutenant
 
attila's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GT3RS, 2010 MX-5, 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Omaha, NE

Posts: 532
iTrader: (0)

I do not fully understand why people here love the 997.2 GT3 soo much. I have a totally ambivalent feeling about my 997.2GT3RS. I love it on the track, then hate it on the road. Still when spring comes (just happened this year) I take it out then scream and swear to sell it right away until our local track opens. Granted the RS is less DD than the regular GT3 - my car especially with its full RSS suspension - not a good car on the road. To the extent that after 1h you would take even a camry instead. (OK this maybe an exaggeration.)
Plus on the track the M3 or a Miata is just as much fun. (Speed and fun does not have a linear correlation.) The GT3 has just as much issues on the track than the M3 as well. Coolant line separation, stupid center lock wheels falling off, PCCB is a nightmare - avoid it at all cost! etc.
Still, I have to admit I ordered the new 991 GT3, fortunately there is a sale stop so mine cleared the paint shop and now on hold.
I would by the Cayman and keep the M3 no question. However if you need a track car and a fast one, buy a C6 Z06 vette. It is as fast as a 997 Cup (with proper tires) in my hands. Above that go with the Radical or with the new Mono.
If you want to have fun, like working on a car, get a Mazda Miata. Spend just 5K on it and you have the most fun car ever. My wife has one - I moded it and now keep stealing it from her.
attila is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2014, 10:12 PM   #31
ChrisF
Private First Class
 
ChrisF's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP, '10 997.2 GT3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Marin

Posts: 159
iTrader: (0)

Atilla: Everyone's tolerance for suspension and NVH is different. I know the RS, especially with RSS bits is a little more firm but for me at least, not out of the realm of regular driving by a long shot. My GT3 is stock but I have been considering the RSS bits to firm her up a bit more. If anything, I find it a little soft. I am running 18" wheels so that's part of it.

I don't find the car any more firm or punishing than my E92 and I'm 45 and have been known to tell kids to get off my lawn
ChrisF is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #32
pkimM3r
Banned
 
pkimM3r's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 7,321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM
I've actually met a few GT3 --> Cayman converts at the track. I'd drive a Cayman first and see what its about.

Edit: Funny, here's the same discussion elsewhere w/ input from GT3 owners http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...997-1-gt3.html
Interesting perspective. I'm keeping my e90 and planning for a caymanS or another pcar for a toy.
pkimM3r is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2014, 10:42 PM   #33
NBTBRV8
First Lieutenant
 
NBTBRV8's Avatar
 
Drives: Porsche 997.2 GT3 & MG RV8
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Australia

Posts: 381
iTrader: (0)

I dd my 2010 GT3 without too many issues. Practicality isn't a problem.
NBTBRV8 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2014, 11:11 PM   #34
FTS
Gold Club Member
 
FTS's Avatar
 
Drives: 645
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MD

Posts: 461
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiejones View Post
Do you think the 997 gt3s will experience significant depreciation once Porsche resolves the recall on the 991 gt3? Also, is the gt3 very expensive to maintain with miles?
It is impossible to predict the future of course, but staying as impartial as I can, I doubt prices will come down as fast as some hope. My guess is that the prices will drop down to mid 70s to low 80s as mileage on cars increase within the next 2-3 years, but I don't see them going below $60K within the next 5 years.

They are going to probably produce twice as many 991 GT3s as 997 GT3s, and once the RS comes out the prices of the 991s will drop significantly more and sooner than the 997 prices IMHO. There are so many first time Pcar and GT3 buyers with the 991 that I suspect some of those who just bought the car primarily due to its performance on track will sell more quickly as faster cars keep coming to the market, and some will just upgrade to the RS. So, if one can wait 2 years, the GT3 market will have many options to offer and it will be a buyers market. Right now it is a sellers market and I think there is a 'bubble' if you will.

At the same time the good news is with a lot of depreciation built into the 997.1 GT3, it is hard to lose money on it. Buy one, use 2 years, sell and recover 80-85% of money you initially put it in; I think that is a good deal.

Maintenance costs of running a GT3 as a DD is no more or less than any other performance car and depends on how well you want to take care of it. If you track, preventive maintenance alone will double costs.
__________________
Cheers!




Last edited by FTS; 03-22-2014 at 11:18 PM.
FTS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2014, 11:51 PM   #35
robbiejones
Private
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: behind the wheel

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

997.1 vs 997.2

I appreciate all the info guys. This is a hard decision.

To the gt3 guys, is the 997.2 worth the premium over the .1 cars for a street driven car?
robbiejones is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #36
robbiejones
Private
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: behind the wheel

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

What do you guys really think about the Corvette c6 z06? My neighbor gave me a ride in his and that is so fast. Not as refined as the cayman but shreds it in speed.
robbiejones is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #37
pgviper
Lieutenant
 
Drives: X3 xdrive35i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LI / BK

Posts: 402
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiejones View Post
What do you guys really think about the Corvette c6 z06? My neighbor gave me a ride in his and that is so fast. Not as refined as the cayman but shreds it in speed.
Daily Drive an M3 and get a C6 z06 (with rebuilt heads, research valve guide issue on LS7 first) as a track toy and you have the perfect setup right there.

If I didn't already have a completely dedicated track car handed down to me, that's what I would do!
pgviper is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #38
Brosef
Colonel
 
Brosef's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago

Posts: 2,231
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
I do not fully understand why people here love the 997.2 GT3 soo much. I have a totally ambivalent feeling about my 997.2GT3RS. I love it on the track, then hate it on the road. Still when spring comes (just happened this year) I take it out then scream and swear to sell it right away until our local track opens. Granted the RS is less DD than the regular GT3 - my car especially with its full RSS suspension - not a good car on the road. To the extent that after 1h you would take even a camry instead. (OK this maybe an exaggeration.)
Plus on the track the M3 or a Miata is just as much fun. (Speed and fun does not have a linear correlation.) The GT3 has just as much issues on the track than the M3 as well. Coolant line separation, stupid center lock wheels falling off, PCCB is a nightmare - avoid it at all cost! etc.
Still, I have to admit I ordered the new 991 GT3, fortunately there is a sale stop so mine cleared the paint shop and now on hold.
I would by the Cayman and keep the M3 no question. However if you need a track car and a fast one, buy a C6 Z06 vette. It is as fast as a 997 Cup (with proper tires) in my hands. Above that go with the Radical or with the new Mono.
If you want to have fun, like working on a car, get a Mazda Miata. Spend just 5K on it and you have the most fun car ever. My wife has one - I moded it and now keep stealing it from her.
honest review from someone who obviously knows what he's talking about. I wish I could afford a GT3 - especially the new one (potential fiery meltdowns, notwithstanding).
Brosef is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #39
Slapshot9
First Lieutenant
 
Slapshot9's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3 JzB 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoFla

Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)

GT3 is the track car king, period. Assuming you have the skill, you've got the car thats competitive with anything and will bury most. I'd own one and skateboard if I could afford it. Buy it!
Slapshot9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #40
Darth One
Former yr 1of1 owner
 
Darth One's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FL

Posts: 1,109
iTrader: (0)

i have all 3 of the cars in question - 997 GT3, E90 M3, but my Cayman S is the current gen (981). i think the perfect combo is E90 M3 + GT3. pretty much does everything.
Darth One is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2014, 12:48 AM   #41
ChrisF
Private First Class
 
ChrisF's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP, '10 997.2 GT3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Marin

Posts: 159
iTrader: (0)

+1 I love the combo. Can't think of many cars I'd rather own.
ChrisF is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #42
robbiejones
Private
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: behind the wheel

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

I test drove a couple under 15k used econo cars to see if I could sacrifice e90m for a gt3; NO WAY!

I would be miserable during the week and don't think a gt3 would make the sacrifice worth it.

So I am keeping the M3. In addition to the cayman s I am now looking at z06 corvettes. Not sure if the interior crudeness can be over looked for that monster v8
robbiejones is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #43
thorny
Captain
 
thorny's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 X5 E70, 2011 M3 E92
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 947
iTrader: (9)

I daily 2002 ford focus (maybe 4 days a week) in heavy traffic. I drive M3 on the weekend and 1-2 work days. Driving in traffic jams in a focus is not daunting to me. I'd love to own a gt3 and drive my focus until the wheels fall off. Cant afford 140k for now.. My opinion.
__________________
Back to stock and loving it!
thorny is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #44
omegaSMP300
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '00 S430
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 251
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One
i have all 3 of the cars in question - 997 GT3, E90 M3, but my Cayman S is the current gen (981). i think the perfect combo is E90 M3 + GT3. pretty much does everything.
I agree. I had a e90 335i and that combination with my 981 was a great combination. If all works out my future combo will be a 911 and an SUV (halfway there). I feel the obvious additional space and utility ability of an SUV (even one the size of say, the Macan) will be plenty for me.
__________________
2011 997.2 Targa 4s - Sold, 2011 E90 335i M-Sport - Sold, 2013 981 Boxster S - Sold, 2006 E46 M3 - Sold, 2010 E60 M5 - Sold, 2006 E46 M3 - Sold, 2011.5 E90 M3 - Sold, 2006 325i - Sold, 2004 Mazda6 - Sold
omegaSMP300 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST