BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

03-11-2014, 01:48 AM   #1
pkimM3r
Banned

Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Curvy roads in Hana (maui)

Thinking of renting a mustang convertible and driving the curvy roads near Hana.

Anyone driven there before and is it worth it for a fun cruise or is it just worthless.
      03-11-2014, 01:58 AM   #2
swhat
Lieutenant

Drives: '11 MW E92

Nice cruise, however, lots of people last time i went...so most of the time, u will be behind another car going very slowly.
      03-11-2014, 02:08 AM   #3
pkimM3r
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhat
Nice cruise, however, lots of people last time i went...so most of the time, u will be behind another car going very slowly.
Crap. Im in wailea so to go there would be a trek in itself. But if traffic hmm. Maybe a night cruise?
      03-11-2014, 06:06 AM   #4
martini
Private

Drives: 2011 M3

We did the same thing in a mustang convertible. As swhat says, it can get busy so you kinda have to go slow. None the less, it's a great drive and I highly recommend it.
      03-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
quiksi
Captain

Drives: E90

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to quiksi
I did the Hana Hwy in a rental focus... you get in a few narrow areas and it was much easier to get by in a smaller car

as previously mentioned you won't be going very fast and being in a convertible means all kinds of shit falls down from trees into the car

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, RemoteKey+, Homelink retrofit, V1 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, VRS Replica CF Front Lip, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Bridgestone S04
quiksi is offline   Taiwan
      03-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
Sebringjetta
Colonel

Drives: E46m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Thinking of renting a mustang convertible and driving the curvy roads near Hana.

Anyone driven there before and is it worth it for a fun cruise or is it just worthless.
well im sure is would be fun but not in a mustang convertible....

03-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
dnvrdrvr
Captain

Drives: JB E90 M3

Quote:
Crap. Im in wailea so to go there would be a trek in itself. But if traffic hmm. Maybe a night cruise?
Night cruise is an interesting idea. Much of what makes that drive so good is the scenery you see during daylight. I can only imagine how beautiful the stars would be. IIRC (it's been ~6 years), the trick to missing a lot of traffic is getting on the road really early. We did the drive the second day we were there so our clocks hadn't fully adjusted and it was easier to get out of bed. Maybe just back your plan up by 2 hours - get some "night" cruise in *and* stay ahead of everyone who slept in?

Just a girl and her 420 ponies...
www.mw3motorsports.com
dnvrdrvr is offline   United_States
      03-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
aus
Major General

Drives: Odysse

You need to get a book or CD that explains things to you and where to stop. It's the stops that make the drive worth doing. If you're just going to drive the road, it's a waste of time. There's NOTHING in Hana.

A few friends have said they've driven around the "off road" route and made it without trouble, but you are driving on private property. It's a whole day treck and not worth it, IMO.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
      03-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
zamboni1

Drives: 08' e92 M3

I did it ten years ago on my honeymoon, in a Mustang convertible. It was great, it took all day. We stopped probably ten times for swimming and sight seeing.

Fun roads, but unless you get there at sunrise you will be going slow. I would also recommend going on the dirt section through Hana. Once you get back onto pavement it the road is awesome. Just watch out for cows. If you plan on going at night, it was nice knowing you. You will go of a cliff.
      03-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
mowmentous
Private

Drives: 13 FO E92 M3

I did it a few years ago but I got a soft-top Jeep. There is (or was at least) a large section southwest of Hana that was just a dirt road, but it was hella fun in the Jeep. Highly recommended
      03-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
okusa
Captain

Drives: '11 E90 M3 - SSII

Generally very unsafe roads for spirited drives there due to traffic, road debris and slick spots from intermittent rains. Better to play it safe and chill at the beach.
      03-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #12
W Cole
Captain

Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:

I enjoy tracking my cars, motorcycles and love twisty roads but the road to hana won't be much fun if you plan to "race" it. Too much traffic, too narrow/tight and with not much fun with the SO.

I think its worthwhile but if you go plan on going very slowly.
      03-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #13
pkimM3r
Banned

Thanks for all the replies! Wasnt looking to go hard but curvy whether slow or fast is still fun. And watched some visitor tv and it showed some stops. Black sand beach and some natural pools to swim in.

Hmm if i get up 7am my time it will be 4am here so maybe around 6am local will be nice.
      03-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #14
pkimM3r
Banned

I'm only renting a car for tomorrow so maybe a morning cruise, hit up a spa then go to Eskimo candy for some poke bowls and then mamas fish house.

Was also originally looking for an open jeep. Would be fun.

Miss my damn car though.
      03-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
808@702
7th BMW, 500th Surfboard

Drives: My girlfriends crazy!

Drive the road from Maalea Harbor to Lahaina. Pretty good little drive. And lots to do and see in Lahaina. Just watch out for the centipedes (Loggins and Messina!)
      03-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #16
pkimM3r
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808@702
Drive the road from Maalea Harbor to Lahaina. Pretty good little drive. And lots to do and see in Lahaina. Just watch out for the centipedes (Loggins and Messina!)
You sir, are who i was specifically waiting for!!
      03-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #17
kwality
Enlisted Member

Drives: E92 aw m

if you have time, i say do it. everyone is right, there is nothing at the end.

roads are rough. the locals are crazy as they will drive around you.

just hit up mama's fish house.

honestly i had more fun driving up to mt Haleakalā for the sun rise.
      03-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #18
rAdzM
Smashed!

Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [5.00]
2006 BMW M5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni1 View Post
I did it ten years ago on my honeymoon, in a Mustang convertible. It was great, it took all day. We stopped probably ten times for swimming and sight seeing.

Fun roads, but unless you get there at sunrise you will be going slow. I would also recommend going on the dirt section through Hana. Once you get back onto pavement it the road is awesome. Just watch out for cows. If you plan on going at night, it was nice knowing you. You will go of a cliff.
so true, your best bet would be early am maybe start at 5am? Plenty of tour buses goes to that road and I think these tours starts from 9am-4pm. There are also roads that becomes 1 line in a nearby cliff. Maybe go on a Sunday morning cruise.

BBS / Brembo / KW / Recaro / VARIS / Vorsteiner / BMW Performance / Oneighty / Dinan
rAdzM is offline   United_States
      03-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #19
dagolfpro
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Done the drive twice over the past 10 years with two different gf (both times went around the south side with the dirt roads and cows). Time is better spent going up Haleakalā or day at the beach. Mama's is the best for dinner, very pricey but worth going there once.
Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Painted Reflectors | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | 18" Volks TE37SL Pressed Graphite | Yokohama AD08 | Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
dagolfpro is offline   Taiwan
      03-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #20
4corners
Captain

Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 Ford E350 4x4  [2.75]
Rent a Jeep and continue on the dirt road that goes all the way around the Island instead of turning around in Hana. Get the CD ROM available that tells u all about the plants and geology, and history as you drive the road to Hana.
4corners is offline   United_States
      03-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #21
pkimM3r
Banned

Thanks just spent morning in the pool at grand wailea and the beach. Time to get a car and get some food. Appreciate everyone's advice!

Im on m3post on my honeymoon. Where is the m3post anonymous thread again?

How about some local food spots?

I have mamas fish house, humuhumunukblahblah'a and Eskimo candy. What about some normal not $$$ good food?
      03-11-2014, 07:56 PM   #22
rAdzM
Smashed!

Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [5.00]
2006 BMW M5  [4.50]
if you haven't tried yet, hawaiian luau is a great experience.

BBS / Brembo / KW / Recaro / VARIS / Vorsteiner / BMW Performance / Oneighty / Dinan
rAdzM is offline   United_States