BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-02-2014, 03:02 AM   #1
Savitar
Aussie in Scotland....
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Competition Pack
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

What is my M3 worth?

Hey all,

Looking to sell my M3 and was wondering if you have any thoughts on what its worth and / or what I should expect to get for it, specs :

Sept 2010 Build, MY11 LCI update
White with Black leather (all 99% condition)
Competition pack
HK stereo
Professional Nav Package with 2013 maps
Full BMW service history (last service Sept 2013)
15,650 KM's
12 months Victorian registration, current RWC.

Now, the biggie....this is a personal import from the UK so I do expect it to be worth somewhat less than a locally delivered one but what I am not sure about is what the thoughts are on the value given all the above AND the UK import stigma (hey, they are all the same cars from the factory but I do get that there is a loss of value due to the import status).

Photo of it just before shipping just so you know what it looks like :



Thanks!
Savitar is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
NBTBRV8
First Lieutenant
 
NBTBRV8's Avatar
 
Drives: Porsche 997.2 GT3 & MG RV8
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Australia

Posts: 376
iTrader: (0)

$90s at a guess privately. $80s on a trade.
NBTBRV8 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
jhbrennan
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Austin

Posts: 152
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTBRV8 View Post
$90s at a guess privately. $80s on a trade.
Is that AUD, USD or UKú?

Maybe someone closer can help him.
jhbrennan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
netgun
Private
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne, Vic, Australia

Posts: 61
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbrennan View Post
Is that AUD, USD or UKú?

Maybe someone closer can help him.
Clearly that's AUD and I don't think he (NBTBRV8) can get much closer to Australia than actually being in Australia.

I'm guessing the usual American shock at how much BMWs cost in Australia caused you not to notice the response posted was actually from an Aussie. Either that or you don't realise you've replied to a post in Australian forum that is discussing the value of a UK M3 when sold in Australia after personally importing it to here.
netgun is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
jmo
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW M3 E90
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Australia

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

Were comp packs manuals?

Have a look on carsales.com.au for similar cars.
jmo is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
Ur84wr
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Brisbane

Posts: 129
iTrader: (0)

I think the car is worth 95 privately and take 10k off for being an import. You shouldn't have too much trouble given the spec and low kms.

Good luck
Ur84wr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
jhbrennan
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Austin

Posts: 152
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netgun View Post
Clearly that's AUD and I don't think he (NBTBRV8) can get much closer to Australia than actually being in Australia.

I'm guessing the usual American shock at how much BMWs cost in Australia caused you not to notice the response posted was actually from an Aussie. Either that or you don't realise you've replied to a post in Australian forum that is discussing the value of a UK M3 when sold in Australia after personally importing it to here.
Right on all accounts - expensive in Australia!! Why the "haircut" for import?
jhbrennan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
Savitar
Aussie in Scotland....
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Competition Pack
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

Thanks guys. Yes it is a DCT, should have mentioned that...Yes, I am in Aus....Being the Aust section, talking about importing and having Victorian registration I thought would have given it away...

Looking at Carsales.com.au it was a little unclear. Some bits I noticed :

- The only comp packs for sale currently start at $129,990 for a My11 with 35,000KM on it (mine is the same age, 20,000 less KM's).
- For 2010 or newer DCT models the cheapest on the market is $106k and that has 40,000 more KM's and less spec (no comp pack, no edc etc)
- For any E92 with less than 20,000KM, the cheapest is $110K
- $85k to $95K models are 2008 - 2009 with 40K+ KMs

So putting all that together you guys this will only get $85k?
Savitar is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #9
Dzenko
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92-M3 Comp pack
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Perth WA

Posts: 117
iTrader: (0)

I am unsure if you will encounter this and I seriously hope you don't but when I owned an U.K. import and decided to sell it (also low Kms) potential buyers were saying how I arranged for the Kms' timer reading to be turned back a notch in the process of having the cluster changed from miles to Kms.
I had to demonstrate that I myself bought it from an Aussie owner whom moved from U.K. to Aus and moved the car with his family.
Then they were haggling the price down by claiming that not too many insurers will insure an UK import because it isn't built here etc (the insurance bit is true but mine was insured so there was ways around it)
In any case if it were an Aussie model the car would sound like a steal if you sold it for less than 100k. Now you need to quantify how much to shave of 100k for it being an import and you will have a quick sale. Otherwise, keep a high price up on the bases of low kms and great specs.

Good luck.
Dzenko is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2014, 08:40 PM   #10
Savitar
Aussie in Scotland....
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Competition Pack
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzenko View Post
I am unsure if you will encounter this and I seriously hope you don't but when I owned an U.K. import and decided to sell it (also low Kms) potential buyers were saying how I arranged for the Kms' timer reading to be turned back a notch in the process of having the cluster changed from miles to Kms.
I had to demonstrate that I myself bought it from an Aussie owner whom moved from U.K. to Aus and moved the car with his family.
Then they were haggling the price down by claiming that not too many insurers will insure an UK import because it isn't built here etc (the insurance bit is true but mine was insured so there was ways around it)
In any case if it were an Aussie model the car would sound like a steal if you sold it for less than 100k. Now you need to quantify how much to shave of 100k for it being an import and you will have a quick sale. Otherwise, keep a high price up on the bases of low kms and great specs.

Good luck.
Thanks for the comments. I have it serviced with the mileage recorded and then recorded the mileage for shipment so that can't be questioned. Plus I am not planning on changing over to KM's instrument panel just yet, might do it for the right buyer.

The insurance part is not true actually. As long as they were made for the UK market then the VIN numbers are the same as the Ozzie cars therefore are not classified as an import for insurance. The cars for Japan (for example) have a different structure of VIN so are easily identified.

I am planning on starting a bit high (say $110) and then see what the market does before dropping....
Savitar is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2014, 11:58 PM   #11
wantam3
Private
 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Victoria, Australia

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savitar View Post
Thanks for the comments. I have it serviced with the mileage recorded and then recorded the mileage for shipment so that can't be questioned. Plus I am not planning on changing over to KM's instrument panel just yet, might do it for the right buyer.

The insurance part is not true actually. As long as they were made for the UK market then the VIN numbers are the same as the Ozzie cars therefore are not classified as an import for insurance. The cars for Japan (for example) have a different structure of VIN so are easily identified.

I am planning on starting a bit high (say $110) and then see what the market does before dropping....
Hey mate, personal story here, as I currently own a personal UK import -

what Dzenko is saying is somewhat true, the UK car imports always get a suspicious look from potential buyers (including myself) mainly because we all wonder what the 'real' reason is you are bringing this car over - you looking to make a fast buck? why dont you just sell the thing over there? are we getting rubbish unloaded on us? that sort of thing. The guy I got mine from had some real issues selling it, because alot of people walked away thinking it was a 'grey' import and that means it has herpes - its only somone who is willing to look past the UK badge to really see what the car is worth - and these people are few and far between. Also if you DONT lable it as a UK import and people find out, buyers will drop you like a hot stone.

you are also right - no issues on insurance, I never had any issues whatsoever.

Honestly you need to price this thing below a similarly ranged car for someone to look at it, simply because of this fact: Aussies don't want imported cars - we are a fickle bunch- even though all of them are made in the same factory - we dont care! and if you price it at 110 - noone is going to look at it as most of the potential buyers would rather pay a little more premium for something 'safe'. its a strange concept, but true unfortunately.

I was the exception that makes the rule , but take it from me, you are not going to have it easy - the seller took my low-ball offer almost immediately because it had been on the market too long already with tire kickers not really focused on the car - but on the fact its a UK import.

GLWTS
wantam3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2014, 12:05 AM   #12
wantam3
Private
 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Victoria, Australia

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

Oh and if you dont believe me, have a look at the cheapest of the E90 series on car sales at the moment, I have been following that guys sale for the past 5 months, he has dropped it from $72 down to $62 - because he cant sell it
(obviously I haven't seen the car & there may be other issues with it - but I doubt it helps the fact its a UK import)
wantam3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2014, 12:55 AM   #13
Ur84wr
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Brisbane

Posts: 129
iTrader: (0)

Savitar I paid 99 for mine with 18000kms in oct last year. It's an lci 2010. M/T though and no comp pack.

Don't wana tell you how to suck eggs as that's v annoying on a forum just an FYI :-)
Ur84wr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2014, 01:06 AM   #14
Ben0426
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 325i /MB ML350
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney

Posts: 301
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantam3 View Post
Oh and if you dont believe me, have a look at the cheapest of the E90 series on car sales at the moment, I have been following that guys sale for the past 5 months, he has dropped it from $72 down to $62 - because he cant sell it
(obviously I haven't seen the car & there may be other issues with it - but I doubt it helps the fact its a UK import)
I also follow that sale from the very begging, sad to see that price just drops and drops, and the car's still here. But I think that's the fact of the AUS market, people who can afford an M3 don't want an import. The true hurts
Ben0426 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2014, 04:14 AM   #15
netgun
Private
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne, Vic, Australia

Posts: 61
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbrennan View Post
Right on all accounts - expensive in Australia!! Why the "haircut" for import?
Yeh we get that shock reaction a lot from people stumbling in here from your part of the planet

Seems I didn't need to explain the haircut, everyone else already has.
netgun is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2014, 04:25 AM   #16
NBTBRV8
First Lieutenant
 
NBTBRV8's Avatar
 
Drives: Porsche 997.2 GT3 & MG RV8
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Australia

Posts: 376
iTrader: (0)

It is supply and demand. If the car was very rare e.g. CSL or GTS, then the UK import tag wouldn't be much of an issues. But as there are so many Australian delivered cars you really need to price it cheap to move it on.

GL with it.
NBTBRV8 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2014, 05:39 AM   #17
CON G
Private
 
CON G's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E90 M3, 1995 E36 M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PERTH WESTERN AUSTRALIA

Posts: 92
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1994 E36 M3 COUPE  [0.00]
2010 E90 M3  [0.00]
wouldn't an indication of the supposed "disc for import" be measured by trade in price. i.e. a low trade in price lower than what normally someone would expect?

I bought my 2010 M3 Silverstone II with sunroof and comp pack for 100k plus on roads a year ago (11 Mar 13).
__________________


CON G is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #18
matts325i
Private First Class
 
matts325i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Adelaide

Posts: 113
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savitar View Post
Thanks for the comments. I have it serviced with the mileage recorded and then recorded the mileage for shipment so that can't be questioned. Plus I am not planning on changing over to KM's instrument panel just yet, might do it for the right buyer.

The insurance part is not true actually. As long as they were made for the UK market then the VIN numbers are the same as the Ozzie cars therefore are not classified as an import for insurance. The cars for Japan (for example) have a different structure of VIN so are easily identified.

I am planning on starting a bit high (say $110) and then see what the market does before dropping....
In my opinion, that's too high. There was a '13 Comp Pack for sale alongside mine last week that was advertised for $110k.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
matts325i is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #19
matts325i
Private First Class
 
matts325i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Adelaide

Posts: 113
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTBRV8 View Post
It is supply and demand. If the car was very rare e.g. CSL or GTS, then the UK import tag wouldn't be much of an issues. But as there are so many Australian delivered cars you really need to price it cheap to move it on.

GL with it.
+1
matts325i is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2014, 07:56 PM   #20
Msports180
Soon to be Owner
 
Msports180's Avatar
 
Drives: R36 Passat, Patrol, Skyline
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bunbury Western Australia

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

If you found a buyer who was looking to keep the car for ever then i see no problem with it being a UK import as its essentially the same car, some of the slight differences would be to the car to make it suited to a colder climate. I know Japanese car's for the Northern island have electric defreosting windscreen's and mirrors etc versus the more southern car's which dont.

This type of vehicle being relatively expensive, re-sale is something a lot consider.

I personally would have no qualms about it, but im not looking to get mine till september.
__________________
- R36 Passat - Nissan Patrol Family Explorer- 500hp Skyline - Looking for the right M3 -
Msports180 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2014, 11:13 PM   #21
wantam3
Private
 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Victoria, Australia

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msports180 View Post
I personally would have no qualms about it, but im not looking to get mine till september.
You say that - but would you be willing to buy it for above what an equivalent AUS car is asking?
wantam3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2014, 12:02 AM   #22
PatrickPH
Photo Bounce
 
PatrickPH's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E46 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Perth

Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to PatrickPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantam3 View Post
You say that - but would you be willing to buy it for above what an equivalent AUS car is asking?
I went through this when I got my E46 M3, personally inspected a few and the salt/rusting was interesting to say the least.

I would never touch a UK import, I used to be completely opposite to this.

Why should I pay more for the same thing? Well now I know...
PatrickPH is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST