BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

06-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
M3Alan
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3

Umm_ya (e92 Silverstone) build journal

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I purchased my E92 M3 back in December of 2013. I drove it for a few days, after deciding I needed more power. So, I talked to my friend and he recommended me to VF-Engineering. Shortly after, I decided to go for the VF-620 kit.

The VF-620 is an amazing kit really brings the car alive. I needed bigger tires so I picked up a set of TE37 SL's with RS3 (275/295) tires. After having the kit installed, I had the Dinan monoball kit and sway bars (front/rears) for handling. My overall objective with the car is to track it on the weekends.

After a couple of weeks, I wanted more reliable power so I talked to Race Precision Motorsport and they hooked me up with a low-compression built S65 motor.

Along the way, I picked up a set of Brembos, Vorsteiner GTS-5 front bumper, Vorsteiner Type II rear diffuser, P3 boost gauge, and M-Performance steering wheel. The motor has arrived and is waiting for install. I will be keeping this thread posted with updates on the build such as dyno results, new parts, and photos of the car taken exclusively from Whyderpmedia (instagram).

Last edited by M3Alan; 12-09-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
M3Alan
Private
United_States
Rep

S65 low compression
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 11:31 PM   #3
JEllis
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

cool
      06-09-2014, 01:26 AM   #4
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 E92 M3

so you needed more power after the 620 kit. you da man! haha

so whats the new power output going to be?
      06-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
BrewRifle
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.17]
I'm also curious to know how much power you're putting down now. Here and I thought 414hp was a lot of horsepower haha.
      06-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #6
thetastelingers
Master lurker
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Oh man. I like your style.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #7
Longboarder
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 e92 M3

Garage List
2013 WRX STi  [4.00]
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
LC build? That's awesome.

Who are you consulting with to build the fuel system? What pulley system / boost are you expecting? Who is doing the customized ECU tuning? How are you going to affix the manifold (stock one won't work)? What customized cooling modifications are you using since this will be the first LC-build track car?
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
regular guy
Banned
Rep

Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
LC build? That's awesome.

Who are you consulting with to build the fuel system? What pulley system / boost are you expecting? Who is doing the customized ECU tuning? How are you going to affix the manifold (stock one won't work)? What customized cooling modifications are you using since this will be the first LC-build track car?
All valid question.

I would also recommend getting a before/after dyno, and heavily data log the "after" dynos. I know a baseline dyno is already out of the question since you're already supercharged. But I would recommend getting a dyno of your 620 kit and fully data log it so you can compare and make sure the LC engine is operating correctly once installed. I can help you out and tell you how to data log and give you some parameter files to load into various data logging tools (depending on how deep you want to log). I'm in SoCal often, and would even offer to come help data logging if it's something that interests you.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
regular guy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Alan View Post
S65 low compression
I've got to be honest, I'm a bit worried already. Whoever built that motor didn't close up and seal the ports before shipping. For all you know, there could be sand inside the engine by now from those open ports and the drive in the back of the pickup truck. Also I don't like seeing greasy oil on the pan because it means they don't run a clean engine room and they don't clean parts before they build. Those are some very bad signs.

Edit:
Compared to this...where every port you can see is sealed whether it has access to the engine internals or not (click image to see higher resolution):

Last edited by regular guy; 06-10-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
Longboarder
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 e92 M3

Garage List
2013 WRX STi  [4.00]
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Good eyes RG!

I wonder if the OP will return this to RPM. Just like RichieRich did with the upgraded SSP clutch packs that weren't needed.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #11
Dave@CarVerse
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4 On The Way!

That could be a bad sign, but much better safe than sorry. Good luck with the progress. Looking forward to how your build goes.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #12
s85e90
Colonel
Rep

Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
I've got to be honest, I'm a bit worried already. Whoever built that motor didn't close up and seal the ports before shipping. For all you know, there could be sand inside the engine by now from those open ports and the drive in the back of the pickup truck. Also I don't like seeing greasy oil on the pan because it means they don't run a clean engine room and they don't clean parts before they build. Those are some very bad signs.

Edit:
Compared to this...where every port you can see is sealed whether it has access to the engine internals or not (click image to see higher resolution):

you can infer a lot from pics. There's a pair of scissors pictured behind the motor and obvious wrap alluding to the fact that it was sealed up.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #13
Sam@ModeCarbon
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: using 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
cool
+1
      06-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #14
regular guy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
you can infer a lot from pics. There's a pair of scissors pictured behind the motor and obvious wrap alluding to the fact that it was sealed up.
No doubt it was wrapped and you can see the wrapping in the truck bed; I saw that too. I've driven down the freeway and seen items wrapped very similar catch air and lift the wrapping almost into a ball around the object and offering no protection from the wrap itself. I saw that happen to a mattress on the back of a truck just a few weeks ago. Regardless, the pictures still show the ports are open, still unsealed, and there's still grimy dirt on the sump. So even if the wrap created a perfect seal on the drive over to the shop, those are still signs I wouldn't want to see from any engine shop.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #15
s85e90
Colonel
Rep

Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
No doubt it was wrapped and you can see the wrapping in the truck bed; I saw that too. I've driven down the freeway and seen items wrapped very similar catch air and lift the wrapping almost into a ball around the object and offering no protection from the wrap itself. I saw that happen to a mattress on the back of a truck just a few weeks ago. Regardless, the pictures still show the ports are open, still unsealed, and there's still grimy dirt on the sump. So even if the wrap created a perfect seal on the drive over to the shop, those are still signs I wouldn't want to see from any engine shop.

my post was meant to say that you can't determine it wasn't sealed prior to taking the pic. You wrote, "those are some very bad signs" and while you're right let's not scare OP just yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #16
regular guy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
my post was meant to say that you can't determine it wasn't sealed prior to taking the pic. You wrote, "those are some very bad signs" and while you're right let's not scare OP just yet.
No doubt we all want the best for the OP.

If I were the OP, I'd also ask for a full spec sheet on the engine along with measurements taken during assembly. I'd really be asking them to see how thorough and experienced they are. I wouldn't expect the OP to know the right answers, but there are plenty of people on the forums who would. For example:
  • Did they actually calculate compression ratio, or did they take the piston maker's word for it? There's a lot of factors that play a role in compression ratio calculation. So if I were the OP, I'd want to double check that work. I can post the equations if the OP can get the data.
  • Did they measure bearing clearance? If so, using which method?
  • Did they measure valve spring seat pressure?
  • Did they measure piston-to-wall clearance? If so, does it match the specs for the type of material of the pistons?
  • Even if they used 92.0mm pistons, did they hone the block to create a fresh ring seal?
  • Did they measure crank end play?
  • Did they measure TDC with a dial indicator? Or did they trust the BMW crank pin setting for 0-deg TDC? We found the BMW crank pin setting approximately 2-degrees off actual TDC of the dial indicator.

Not trying to scare the OP, just trying to educate him and to help him look out for his own best interests. There's no amount of "I got a bitchin deal" that will cover the expense of the problems that could occur down the road from a shop that may be great at changing your brakes, but shouldn't be building your engines.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #17
FNG
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: The Bus

Come on, you're making a lot of assumptions based on nothing. Just be happy for him...

Sick build BTW!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #18
M3Alan
Private
United_States
Rep

So much hate.. I'll be keeping the thread updated with results
      06-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #19
Sam@ModeCarbon
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: using 3 pedals

M3Alan Don't be worried the motor was and always sealed. The packaging was removed for the photograph. The motor at the time of this picture belonged to the owner, Marco, who I am sure took great care of his own motor. Later on Alan purchased the motor when it was sitting in the shop waiting to be put into Marco's car. OP you shouldn't be worried, just watched their shop put together a motor in 24 hours. They know what they are doing from start to finish.
      06-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #20
M3Alan
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@ModeCarbon View Post
M3Alan Don't be worried the motor was and always sealed. The packaging was removed for the photograph. The motor at the time of this picture belonged to the owner, Marco, who I am sure took great care of his own motor. Later on Alan purchased the motor when it was sitting in the shop waiting to be put into Marco's car. OP you shouldn't be worried, just watched their shop put together a motor in 24 hours. They know what they are doing from start to finish.

Marco had the stroker motor which he sold to someone else, 2 different motors
      06-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #21
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

OP is clearly a baller so I am sure he is not too worried about a properly packaged motor....
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #22
blast1st
Test
Philippines
Rep

Drives: DAILY DRIVER IMFAMOUS 'H-FIT'

nice build up so far!

Subscribed....
Appreciate 0