BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
Ruiner23
Enlisted Member
10
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 Alpine/Fox
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Spring tx

iTrader: (0)

Advice on pricing a high mileage E90 M3 please

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I posted my M3 as a "feeler" on the sale board but I am looking for constructive input on what it's worth. I have the KBB value but I need a true street, ball park value. This is an opportunity for an enthusiast to get into an M3 on the cheap!
Thanks.

Below is the link
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1345861
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
cyman83
First Lieutenant
United_States
10
Rep
375
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (5)

That's a ton of miles. I can see someone picking this up for like 17-18k max and turning it into a track car, but that's a very limited market. The kbb value for it is too low to sell it, so it's probably best to keep driving it and try to unload another car if possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
Ruiner23
Enlisted Member
10
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 Alpine/Fox
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Spring tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyman83 View Post
That's a ton of miles. I can see someone picking this up for like 17-18k max and turning it into a track car, but that's a very limited market. The kbb value for it is too low to sell it, so it's probably best to keep driving it and try to unload another car if possible.
Noted. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 05:07 PM   #4
GRUESOM3
Lieutenant
GRUESOM3's Avatar
116
Rep
568
Posts

Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Staten Island NY

iTrader: (4)

If it's original engine I say it's worth 50k just for research.

All these big time vendors on here should step up and buy it and open the engine
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #5
Ruiner23
Enlisted Member
10
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 Alpine/Fox
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Spring tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUESOM3 View Post
If it's original engine I say it's worth 50k just for research.

All these big time vendors on here should step up and buy it and open the engine
Yeah, I would be 100% good with that!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 05:56 PM   #6
srmast1
Private First Class
srmast1's Avatar
26
Rep
183
Posts

Drives: 2011 e90 m3
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: fresno, CA

iTrader: (0)

OP how many miles did you put on it? With so, so, so many miles on it, a potential buyer might be more apt to buy if they knew when/how all those miles were acrued and how often oil changes were done, and if warm up procedures were followed properly through the majority of those miles. Also, not to flog a dead horse, but if you want any chance of selling this thing, you probably want to have either redone the rod bearings, or account for that in your asking price. Also knowing for sure whether or not the engine was replaced (and when and by whom and where the newer engine was sourced from) would really help. Potential buyers question the condition of engines and rod bearings in m3's with as little as 60k miles so imagine the type and frequency of questions pertaining to this vehicle. I feel like in order to get a good street value, at least some of these questions must be answered.

Last edited by srmast1; 01-21-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 06:14 PM   #7
ksteckba
Private First Class
ksteckba's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

I can't imagine anyone would pay much for it. You should just keep it forever and/or pass it on to your children :-P
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #8
Ruiner23
Enlisted Member
10
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 Alpine/Fox
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Spring tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmast1 View Post
OP how many miles did you put on it? With so, so, so many miles on it, a potential buyer might be more apt to buy if they knew when/how all those miles were acrued and how often oil changes were done, and if warm up procedures were followed properly through the majority of those miles. Also, not to flog a dead horse, but if you want any chance of selling this thing, you probably want to have either redone the rod bearings, or account for that in your asking price. Also knowing for sure whether or not the engine was replaced (and when and by whom and where the newer engine was sourced from) would really help. Potential buyers question the condition of engines and rod bearings in m3's with as little as 60k miles so imagine the type and frequency of questions pertaining to this vehicle. I feel like in order to get a good street value, at least some of these questions must be answered.
I've had the car for about a year and have put about 4K miles on it...mostly weekends and I do drive it responsibly but occasionally I like to stretch its legs.
I recently changed the oil, transmission and diff fluid(receipts available), the dealership I bought it from replaced the starter and throttle actuators. I may take it in to a shop to see if there are any engine replacement indicators but in the meantime since I cannot prove that the engine or bearings have been replaced, I would price accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 07:23 PM   #9
Ruiner23
Enlisted Member
10
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 Alpine/Fox
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Spring tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteckba View Post
I can't imagine anyone would pay much for it. You should just keep it forever and/or pass it on to your children :-P
My 9yr old already called dibs on it...ha
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 08:43 PM   #10
srmast1
Private First Class
srmast1's Avatar
26
Rep
183
Posts

Drives: 2011 e90 m3
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: fresno, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner23 View Post
I've had the car for about a year and have put about 4K miles on it...mostly weekends and I do drive it responsibly but occasionally I like to stretch its legs.
I recently changed the oil, transmission and diff fluid(receipts available), the dealership I bought it from replaced the starter and throttle actuators. I may take it in to a shop to see if there are any engine replacement indicators but in the meantime since I cannot prove that the engine or bearings have been replaced, I would price accordingly.
Well then in the event the bearings had been switched out, and everything else checks out with it, I would give at most 10k for that car (better off keeping it and saving it for the 9 yr old), but honestly I would never buy a high revving v8 with that many miles on it. Seems just way too risky. Too many miles for a aftermarket warranty, so when it pops, owner eats the cost of the engine, which may end up costing more than the car it's self.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 09:24 PM   #11
Munichm3
Private First Class
20
Rep
136
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmast1 View Post
Well then in the event the bearings had been switched out, and everything else checks out with it, I would give at most 10k for that car (better off keeping it and saving it for the 9 yr old), but honestly I would never buy a high revving v8 with that many miles on it. Seems just way too risky. Too many miles for a aftermarket warranty, so when it pops, owner eats the cost of the engine, which may end up costing more than the car it's self.
Lol 10k? Hahahahaha, you're in la la land. If he wanted to part it out alone he would get more than 10k easily. To be honest, the engine itself can be worn 6-8K. As long as the internals are fine, all that I'm assuming would need to be changed is the rod bearings. These are very solid engines besides that flaw. Look at the s54. Vanos and rod bearing issues, yet those engines can go for 250K + miles easily. To be honest, this forum has destroyed the value of this engine with the stupid bearing scare. Most the people have to blame for themselves for this. Just as the same as the e60 m5 with the scares in there.

OP this car will easily sell for 16K at least. I've seen e46s with just as high mileage sell for 10k.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 09:34 PM   #12
Ruiner23
Enlisted Member
10
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 Alpine/Fox
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Spring tx

iTrader: (0)

Yeah, $10k is LESS than current trade in value...I'm pretty sure that's low. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 10:04 PM   #13
opihi5
Lieutenant
opihi5's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
428
Posts

Drives: 2011 m3
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteckba View Post
I can't imagine anyone would pay much for it. You should just keep it forever and/or pass it on to your children :-P
or until it blows up and rebuild/ stroker kit
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 10:28 PM   #14
srmast1
Private First Class
srmast1's Avatar
26
Rep
183
Posts

Drives: 2011 e90 m3
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: fresno, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner23 View Post
Yeah, $10k is LESS than current trade in value...I'm pretty sure that's low. Thanks
Low indeed, but that's just the "max what i would pay price" and you did ask for our ideas on street pricing. However you should ask for at least the kbb value or 16k as munich suggests and see what responses you get. I dont know about on this enthusiast forum, but you might have great results on autotrader or cars.com. GLWS!

Last edited by srmast1; 01-21-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #15
cyman83
First Lieutenant
United_States
10
Rep
375
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmast1 View Post
OP how many miles did you put on it? With so, so, so many miles on it, a potential buyer might be more apt to buy if they knew when/how all those miles were acrued and how often oil changes were done, and if warm up procedures were followed properly through the majority of those miles. Also, not to flog a dead horse, but if you want any chance of selling this thing, you probably want to have either redone the rod bearings, or account for that in your asking price. Also knowing for sure whether or not the engine was replaced (and when and by whom and where the newer engine was sourced from) would really help. Potential buyers question the condition of engines and rod bearings in m3's with as little as 60k miles so imagine the type and frequency of questions pertaining to this vehicle. I feel like in order to get a good street value, at least some of these questions must be answered.
I've had the car for about a year and have put about 4K miles on it...mostly weekends and I do drive it responsibly but occasionally I like to stretch its legs.
I recently changed the oil, transmission and diff fluid(receipts available), the dealership I bought it from replaced the starter and throttle actuators. I may take it in to a shop to see if there are any engine replacement indicators but in the meantime since I cannot prove that the engine or bearings have been replaced, I would price accordingly.
Just curious how much you originally paid if you've only put 4K on the car
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 12:21 PM   #16
decimation1
Private First Class
United_States
19
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: 08 e92 MT
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

PM'd
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 12:27 PM   #17
doogee
Captain
doogee's Avatar
Canada
131
Rep
636
Posts

Drives: '08 M3, '97 328is
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ancaster, ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munichm3 View Post
Lol 10k? Hahahahaha, you're in la la land. If he wanted to part it out alone he would get more than 10k easily. To be honest, the engine itself can be worn 6-8K. As long as the internals are fine, all that I'm assuming would need to be changed is the rod bearings. These are very solid engines besides that flaw. Look at the s54. Vanos and rod bearing issues, yet those engines can go for 250K + miles easily. To be honest, this forum has destroyed the value of this engine with the stupid bearing scare. Most the people have to blame for themselves for this. Just as the same as the e60 m5 with the scares in there.

OP this car will easily sell for 16K at least. I've seen e46s with just as high mileage sell for 10k.
Yeah its worth much more than 10K lol.

The argument of "its high mileage so the engine might blow up" is irrelevant. We've seen countless motors lost at under 20K miles.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:15 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST