BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-10-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
ching
First Lieutenant
ching's Avatar
3
Rep
315
Posts

 
Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: toronto

iTrader: (0)

Tesla

I've had my M3 since '08 and was looking to switch to a slightly larger car. In a whim I test drove the Tesla it surprised me with how much I liked it. It obviously won't perform as well on the track but it seemed to be better for day-to-day use. I also have space in the garage now for a toy car. Thoughts anyone?
__________________
E90 BMW M3 interlagos blue / silver novillo - vrs type ii diffuser, ape performance air filter, ind ib reflectors, RAC RG63 gunmetal, 2 car seats and a baby on board sign
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
Gearhead999s
Major General
Gearhead999s's Avatar
93
Rep
6,814
Posts

 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Yep.I have a thoughts on these and how poor a choice they are for our Canadian winters and how range limited they are without charging.Something like a diesel A6 or 535 makes a lot more sense IMO
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
swifty
Major
23
Rep
1,295
Posts

 
Drives: FO M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

iTrader: (5)

I'm seriously considering steering my father to the Tesla when his lease is up on the s550 4matic. 3 concerns I have are...

A) The range in winter (though he only drives about 40-50km/day)
B) Will he be able to handle a rear wheel in winter as opposed to 4wd that he's been used to... though I have a feeling the fact that weight is well spread out and lower to the ground on the Tesla will make it easier to drive than regular rwd cars
C) Resale value (is it possible to lease these at a reasonable interest rate)
__________________
__________________
Past: '89 Cutlass, Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Sapphire Black e60 530, Space Grey 2008 e92 335, Mineral White 2011 e92 335

Current: FO e92 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
Petros
Banned
11
Rep
1,162
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canada

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ching View Post
I've had my M3 since '08 and was looking to switch to a slightly larger car. In a whim I test drove the Tesla it surprised me with how much I liked it. It obviously won't perform as well on the track but it seemed to be better for day-to-day use. I also have space in the garage now for a toy car. Thoughts anyone?
Man, the M3 is already too large for its own good. Do you have a big family? If not why do you need something larger? Besides, they're quite overpriced for what they are. How about a CTS-V? Bigger than the M3, but also just as fast.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
Petros
Banned
11
Rep
1,162
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canada

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Yep.I have a thoughts on these and how poor a choice they are for our Canadian winters and how range limited they are without charging.Something like a diesel A6 or 535 makes a lot more sense IMO
I actually wondered about that. Given how temperamental batteries on regular cars get during long periods of deep freeze like this winter, do electric cars suffer the same? If so that would be even worse since you can't just boost it and start an engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
ching
First Lieutenant
ching's Avatar
3
Rep
315
Posts

 
Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Yep.I have a thoughts on these and how poor a choice they are for our Canadian winters and how range limited they are without charging.Something like a diesel A6 or 535 makes a lot more sense IMO
Funny, the range on the Tesla is 480 km ideal (although I'm sure winter will be lower) and the car would be filled-up every time I leave in the morning. In comparison, I'm getting no more than 250 km a tank winter, city driving on the M.
__________________
E90 BMW M3 interlagos blue / silver novillo - vrs type ii diffuser, ape performance air filter, ind ib reflectors, RAC RG63 gunmetal, 2 car seats and a baby on board sign
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
ching
First Lieutenant
ching's Avatar
3
Rep
315
Posts

 
Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I'm seriously considering steering my father to the Tesla when his lease is up on the s550 4matic. 3 concerns I have are...

A) The range in winter (though he only drives about 40-50km/day)
B) Will he be able to handle a rear wheel in winter as opposed to 4wd that he's been used to... though I have a feeling the fact that weight is well spread out and lower to the ground on the Tesla will make it easier to drive than regular rwd cars
C) Resale value (is it possible to lease these at a reasonable interest rate)
A) Still researching range issue.

B) I drove the car at Blue Mountain, and the grip was surprising good because the car is heavy and the CoG is very low. It also had air suspension so you could raise the car in deeper snow. I felt the car was more stable than my M in snow, but I suspect your dad's car being a 4matic would be even better.

C) Have not spoken to a Lease company yet, but Tesla offers a floor price.
What is the Resale Value Guarantee?
Tesla’s Resale Value Guarantee allows owners to sell their Model S back to Tesla between the end of months 36 and 39, regardless of the loan’s term. The resale amount is specified at the time of delivery and is forecasted to be higher than any high volume premium sedan brand (Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar or Lexus). This value is equal to 50% of the original base purchase price of the 60 kWh Model S plus 43% of the original purchase price for all of the options, including the upgrade to the 85 kWh battery pack (exclusive of taxes, fees, and accessories).
__________________
E90 BMW M3 interlagos blue / silver novillo - vrs type ii diffuser, ape performance air filter, ind ib reflectors, RAC RG63 gunmetal, 2 car seats and a baby on board sign
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
ching
First Lieutenant
ching's Avatar
3
Rep
315
Posts

 
Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Man, the M3 is already too large for its own good. Do you have a big family? If not why do you need something larger? Besides, they're quite overpriced for what they are. How about a CTS-V? Bigger than the M3, but also just as fast.
Don't find that there's a lot of room in the back once the car seats are installed. It's actually pretty tight in there and my kids are getting bigger, but not too large to get off those seats. I'm OK with a bigger car as my commuter vehicle. I can get something smaller, lighter and more focused for the summer.

Was actually looking at the cts-v sportwagen until I looked at the Tesla but fuel economy in the city disappoints, and it's pretty much at the end of the line no? I've assumed the new corvette tech will eventually make it over to the caddy.

Funny, the other guy with me at the tesla dealership was selling trading in his cts-v.
__________________
E90 BMW M3 interlagos blue / silver novillo - vrs type ii diffuser, ape performance air filter, ind ib reflectors, RAC RG63 gunmetal, 2 car seats and a baby on board sign
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
ching
First Lieutenant
ching's Avatar
3
Rep
315
Posts

 
Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
I actually wondered about that. Given how temperamental batteries on regular cars get during long periods of deep freeze like this winter, do electric cars suffer the same? If so that would be even worse since you can't just boost it and start an engine.
I'm still researching this. I've heard the Tesla is one of the best selling cars in Norway so the car is probably not a disaster in the winter, but I don't know if it's good enough for me.
__________________
E90 BMW M3 interlagos blue / silver novillo - vrs type ii diffuser, ape performance air filter, ind ib reflectors, RAC RG63 gunmetal, 2 car seats and a baby on board sign
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
Gearhead999s
Major General
Gearhead999s's Avatar
93
Rep
6,814
Posts

 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ching View Post
Funny, the range on the Tesla is 480 km ideal (although I'm sure winter will be lower) and the car would be filled-up every time I leave in the morning. In comparison, I'm getting no more than 250 km a tank winter, city driving on the M.
I ran into a guy at our dog park who has one and we talked about the range in particular and he told me about his trips to Windsor from Markham.In the summer he makes it with about 25 kms left at no more than 105 kph.The 2 winter trips that he has done he had to stop at London to get a charge for over an hour in order to make it to Windsor.
Tesla plans to have their "Supercharging" stations along the 401 sometime during 2015 which will make road trips easier but when you can get a full size sedan that gets over 40 mpg and can make this trip both ways on one tank of fuel with ease,the Tesla makes zero sense to me!

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 10:42 PM   #11
gq1
Private
gq1's Avatar
Canada
3
Rep
51
Posts

 
Drives: '14 BS F30 335ix M Performance
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vaughan

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ching View Post
I've had my M3 since '08 and was looking to switch to a slightly larger car. In a whim I test drove the Tesla it surprised me with how much I liked it. It obviously won't perform as well on the track but it seemed to be better for day-to-day use. I also have space in the garage now for a toy car. Thoughts anyone?
I had my E90 M3 since '08. Last January I decided I needed a larger car so I traded it in for a brand new 550ix. Last week I traded in the 550ix for a 335 M Performance. Next week I'm buying my wife a larger car.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #12
BMWNTHZST
Enthusiast
BMWNTHZST's Avatar
Canada
18
Rep
1,018
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (25)

Garage List
http://business.financialpost.com/20...oronto-garage/
__________________
2011 E70 X5 ///M Black Sapphire Metallic / Black
2008 E93 335i Black Sapphire Metallic / Saddle Brown
1997 840Ci Jet Black / Black
2004 E46 ///M3 Laguna Seca Blue / Black
2011 E92 ///M3 Alpine White / Black (gone but not forgotten )
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 12:15 AM   #13
gordon@
Second Lieutenant
Canada
2
Rep
270
Posts

 
Drives: slowslowslow
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: TO.LA.HK.

iTrader: (1)

Too much money for a electric car with only 3xx HP... Not interested.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 07:05 AM   #14
bobblehead
Brigadier General
bobblehead's Avatar
Canada
50
Rep
3,764
Posts

 
Drives: warp speed
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, On

iTrader: (0)

resale value would be a major concern. Who knows what the market will bear ? If lucky, you may be looking at the same depreciation factor as a ordinary gas powered car.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 03:48 AM   #15
gordon@
Second Lieutenant
Canada
2
Rep
270
Posts

 
Drives: slowslowslow
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: TO.LA.HK.

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
resale value would be a major concern. Who knows what the market will bear ? If lucky, you may be looking at the same depreciation factor as a ordinary gas powered car.
+1
Who knows if the battery life would play a big hit on the resell value. You know batteries have a certain xxxx amount of charge times.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST