BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-31-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
ChromeBlown
Private
0
Rep
74
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Bump Stops

Hey bros aware me on the E36 bump stops... are they shorter than the stock E92 bump stops? On my 370Z we cut the bump stops down about .5" to 1" or so and that worked well and was recommended by Swift when installing their springs. Can we not do this on the E92 bump stops? I know it sounds a bit ghetto but what are your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
mkPOTO's Avatar
200
Rep
15,637
Posts

 
Drives: 1999 528I
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (23)

Garage List
You can indeed cut the stock bump stops or just purchase a set of e36. I was told mixed information about them. I was told you can run them and some told you can just run stock. So it is up to you
__________________

EVOLVE E600 BMW E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
slicer
Brigadier General
slicer's Avatar
61
Rep
3,935
Posts

 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (19)

E36 bump stops are shorter and Dinan claims that they add more travel to the suspension. The OEM bump stops are taller but they are designed to compress and are part of the suspension travel IMO. I had Eibach springs and didn't change the bump stops without adverse effects on the street (never used them on the track). I haven't experimented with any other springs, or bump stop scenarios so I can't say whether it is a good or bad move to change the stops.
__________________
ALL PARTS FOR SALE (click links and/or Send me a PM) -
KW Clubsport 3-way, Mode Carbon GTS Wing, BMW Pedals Billet Extended DCT Paddles, Advan TC3 (9.5/10.5), Planted E92 Floor Mounts, Schroth Quick Fit Pro Harnesses (Red - E82/E90/E92 Version)
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2014, 07:13 PM   #4
edwinm3
Colonel
edwinm3's Avatar
United_States
38
Rep
2,087
Posts

 
Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Doral

iTrader: (9)

They're cheap so it doesn't hurt to put them on and keep a bit of travel
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #5
325rider
Zyzz Follower
United_States
9
Rep
788
Posts

 
Drives: '11 e90 M3 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Miami, Fl

iTrader: (1)

I had them put on with my eibaach springs. Im happy.

the eibachs lowered the front .8" and the e36 bump stops are about a half inch shorter. Its a good compromise and better than keeping the oem bump stops IMO. Either way seems to work fine though.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
Sean05's Avatar
Philippines
89
Rep
5,331
Posts

 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
im running Swift spring and stock bump stop.. no issues so far and it has been 2 years. almost. if you drive hard i suggest to get the e36 bump stop but just regular normal driving your ok with OEM....
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
Ant Man
Major
England
17
Rep
1,043
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez black / Fox red
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Anglia

iTrader: (1)

I've yet to see any confirmation that the E36 bump stops behave in the same way as the E92. Thus I'd be wary about using them as the E92 suspension has been engineered to work as a complete unit, including the bump stops.

If the E36 bump stops do behave in a similar manner and are in effect a short copy of the E92, then they would be a good way to increase suspension travel without impacting the overall behaviour BMW engineers spent a long time developing.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
Sean05's Avatar
Philippines
89
Rep
5,331
Posts

 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
I've yet to see any confirmation that the E36 bump stops behave in the same way as the E92. Thus I'd be wary about using them as the E92 suspension has been engineered to work as a complete unit, including the bump stops.

If the E36 bump stops do behave in a similar manner and are in effect a short copy of the E92, then they would be a good way to increase suspension travel without impacting the overall behaviour BMW engineers spent a long time developing.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #9
B8bydesign
Lieutenant
B8bydesign's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
423
Posts

 
Drives: '11 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nashville/Charlotte/Pittsburgh

iTrader: (2)

Is there any benefit to running the e36 bump stops with a KW Sleeve kit?
__________________
New: '11.5 e92 M3 | DCT | Mineral White/Novillo | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | M Perf Gloss Black Kidneys | M Perf Carbon Splitters | M Perf Carbon Mirrors | MPE | iND Gloss Black Side Markers | iND MW Front Reflectors | iND DCT Billet Shifters | KW Sleeve Kit | Challenge Urethane ST Front Spoiler | Metak Rear Diffuser

Old: '11 Audi S4 | Prestige | Roc-Euro | AWE | Escort | APR | KW | OSIR | Rotiform
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #10
s85e90
Colonel
27
Rep
2,390
Posts

 
Drives: black e90
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: everywhere

iTrader: (0)

Alot of odd info here, but a bump stop is a bump stop. It's a piece of foam. The e36 are indeed a little shorter and that's how Dinan claims travel is increased as it lets the strut travel futher prior to hitting the stops. It's just a clean installs and convienent that the e36 works, but you're fine cutting down the e9x one as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #11
FNG
Second Lieutenant
FNG's Avatar
2
Rep
271
Posts

 
Drives: The Bus
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: HNL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Alot of odd info here, but a bump stop is a bump stop. It's a piece of foam. The e36 are indeed a little shorter and that's how Dinan claims travel is increased as it lets the strut travel futher prior to hitting the stops. It's just a clean installs and convienent that the e36 works, but you're fine cutting down the e9x one as well.
Are you aware that the factory E9x M3 bump stops are designed to make contact on a regular basis and progressively get stiffer with travel? Cutting the narrow end of the E9x bump stop will probably cause an abrupt jolt upon impact. Cutting the wide end may not provide enough protection for the strut.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #12
s85e90
Colonel
27
Rep
2,390
Posts

 
Drives: black e90
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: everywhere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG View Post
Are you aware that the factory E9x M3 bump stops are designed to make contact on a regular basis and progressively get stiffer with travel? Cutting the narrow end of the E9x bump stop will probably cause an abrupt jolt upon impact. Cutting the wide end may not provide enough protection for the strut.
Yes, all bump stops are designed to do this, not just the e9x. This isn't the wheel reinvented.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #13
FNG
Second Lieutenant
FNG's Avatar
2
Rep
271
Posts

 
Drives: The Bus
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: HNL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Yes, all bump stops are designed to do this, not just the e9x. This isn't the wheel reinvented.
OK i guess i should rephrase. E9x suspension is designed to ride the bump stops with regular driving, not only on large bumps. I don't know of many cars that do this. Hence the reason it might not he a good idea to cut the bump stops.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 08:46 AM   #14
Richbot
Colonel
30
Rep
2,118
Posts

 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (2)

I too would like to know the curve of the e36 stops and e9x stops before I changed. I imagine Dinan has at least checked to make sure they don't allow bottoming.

What FNG is saying is true and it's a valid concern. All foam is not created equal and a 3600lb car compresses foam differently than a 3200lb car, not to mention a car that is capable of much higher speeds will see bigger impacts and more wheel travel as a result. Handling that is just fine at sane speeds can get hairy at high speeds if the spring package (which includes the bumpstop, just another friction spring) is too stiff too fast. The properties of a bump stop can be changed drastically depending on application and it's not as simple as just shortening. Ideally you increase the rate on a stop when you shorten it to get the same fully compressed height as the softer stop.

Probably close enough not to matter though. I wouldn't want to run the E36 stops on an E93 but my car is only a couple passengers heavier than the E36.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #15
LiM3y
Major
LiM3y's Avatar
United Kingdom
18
Rep
1,254
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT

iTrader: (3)

I have Eibach springs on the car and didn't swap bump stops and they were fine. When I put in camber plates, I took the opportunity to swap bump stops to E36 and found the first track day that I heavily rubbed the wheel arches (Apex ARC-8, 18x10, 275 Hankook RS-3). I swapped the OEM bump stops back in next chance I got.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 12:26 PM   #16
dereksM3
Second Lieutenant
dereksM3's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
267
Posts

 
Drives: 09 SGM E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lynnwood, WA

iTrader: (0)

My understanding is the E92 has very little travel to begin with. BMW uses relatively soft springrates to create the compliant ride but when driven hard you are on the bumpstops most the time thus effectively raising your springrate.

My question is then this; is this a progressive or linear setup from the factory? They are linear springs with progressive bump stops. So in the case of lowering the car with say Swift springs for example would you rely on the higher than factory springrates with short bumpstops or keep the OEM E92 ones to create an effectively even higher springrate. I would think the E36 bumpstop would be better.

I recall a thread by Malek using E36 bumpstops and trimming strut guides to regain travel and have a controlled suspension while lowering. I would trust his judgement being one of the most accredited suspensions Guru on here.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #17
Richbot
Colonel
30
Rep
2,118
Posts

 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (2)

If I did the e36 bumpstop I would jack up the front nitrogen pressure in the dampers but most people don't have that option.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #18
Route 16
I got lei'd
Route 16's Avatar
Philippines
59
Rep
4,693
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E90 328i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BayArea

iTrader: (31)

Could anyone help me with these bump stops? http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=989399 is it better or safer to put the bump stop inside the sleeve or on top.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #19
s85e90
Colonel
27
Rep
2,390
Posts

 
Drives: black e90
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: everywhere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
My understanding is the E92 has very little travel to begin with. BMW uses relatively soft springrates to create the compliant ride but when driven hard you are on the bumpstops most the time thus effectively raising your springrate.

My question is then this; is this a progressive or linear setup from the factory? They are linear springs with progressive bump stops. So in the case of lowering the car with say Swift springs for example would you rely on the higher than factory springrates with short bumpstops or keep the OEM E92 ones to create an effectively even higher springrate. I would think the E36 bumpstop would be better.

I recall a thread by Malek using E36 bumpstops and trimming strut guides to regain travel and have a controlled suspension while lowering. I would trust his judgement being one of the most accredited suspensions Guru on here.

FYI that is what Dinan does and anyone can do the same. Just shaving the tophat
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #20
dereksM3
Second Lieutenant
dereksM3's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
267
Posts

 
Drives: 09 SGM E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lynnwood, WA

iTrader: (0)

Yes, but I was more referring to his usage of the E36 bump stops as well. Seems to be a common question on whether to use them and most accredited vendors do.

My questions were hoping to gather a more technical response as to why this is and if there's any concrete data of whether one or the other is better. The engineers at Swift who arguably probably have the best springs for the E90-92 chassis opted to use OEM bump stop to design around. So there is some conflicting options on what is better.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #21
essdb1
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
234
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
I have Eibach springs on the car and didn't swap bump stops and they were fine. When I put in camber plates, I took the opportunity to swap bump stops to E36 and found the first track day that I heavily rubbed the wheel arches (Apex ARC-8, 18x10, 275 Hankook RS-3). I swapped the OEM bump stops back in next chance I got.
Is your car edc or non-edc. Which eibach springs are you running. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 12:50 AM   #22
dereksM3
Second Lieutenant
dereksM3's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
267
Posts

 
Drives: 09 SGM E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lynnwood, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
I have Eibach springs on the car and didn't swap bump stops and they were fine. When I put in camber plates, I took the opportunity to swap bump stops to E36 and found the first track day that I heavily rubbed the wheel arches (Apex ARC-8, 18x10, 275 Hankook RS-3). I swapped the OEM bump stops back in next chance I got.
Did you notice this because of the extra travel the e36 bumpstops provide? How was it with the OEM ones?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST