BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

01-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
flea333
Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 M3 ZCP, LMB, DCT

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
ANOTHER punctured tire

4 mo into owning my M3 and two tires down for the count. Thankfully I was able to plug the one front tire with no leak problems yet for $15.

I hit some nail on the rear tire near the end so this one needs replacing.

#1 - do these tires that come with the car have no warranty?

#2 - BMW said their tires are specially made with different rubber/specs so I would want to go through the dealer only.

#3 - I have a Continential ContiSportContact 3 that runs $415+tax=$477. Tirerack.com doesn't even show the tire as supported.

Does anyone not recommend purchasing from a regular tire service place over the dealer?

Does anyone know if this tire is the best? Seems like its the most expensive.
On my 328 I had Michelin PS2's and they were great, lasted me 2.5 years no issues, even with super low tread.

Last edited by flea333; 01-30-2014 at 03:55 PM.
flea333 is offline   United_States
      01-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
nullrouted
Studying...

Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea333 View Post
4 mo into owning my M3 and two tires down for the count. Thankfully I was able to plug the one front tire with no leak problems yet for $15.

I hit some nail on the rear tire near the end so this one needs replacing.

#1 - do these tires that come with the car have NO warranty?? What kind of crap is that.

#2 - BMW said their tires are specially made with different rubber/specs so I would want to go through the dealer only.

#3 - I have a Continential ContiSportContact 3 that runs $415+tax=$477. Tirerack.com doesn't even show the tire as supported.

Does anyone not recommend purchasing from a regular tire service place over the dealer?

Does anyone know if this tire is the best? Seems like its the most expensive.
On my 328 I had Michelin PS2's and they were great, lasted me 2.5 years no issues, even with super low tread.
#1 -- Not sure, but it usually doesn't amount to much in my experience
#2 -- Sounds like normal dealer bullshit to me. Our cars have Conti/PS2/Pirelli from the factory... normal models.
#3 -- Regardless of what you have, with prices like that, depending on your current wear levels on all 4, I'd swap them out for the M3Post-preferred Michelin PSS tire -- cheaper and higher treadwear than PS2 -- A set of 4 should run you about $1000 on Tirerack. My 2013 still has PS2's on it from the factory, but I will be running PSS after they wear out.

As for taking the car to somewhere other than BMW for tire changes -- check out what kind of machine they have to put the tire on the rim. You want them to have Hunter "Touchless" (I believe its called) equipment like BMW does, so your rims won't be damaged in the process.

Me personally? I'd buy the tires separately from Tirerack then pay BMW to mount/balance/install.
nullrouted is offline   United_States
      01-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
tbone28
vvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Drives: ^^^^^

America's Tire Company does free flat repairs
tbone28 is offline   United_States
      01-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #4
flea333
Lieutenant

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
#1 -- Not sure, but it usually doesn't amount to much in my experience
#2 -- Sounds like normal dealer bullshit to me. Our cars have Conti/PS2/Pirelli from the factory... normal models.
#3 -- Regardless of what you have, with prices like that, depending on your current wear levels on all 4, I'd swap them out for the M3Post-preferred Michelin PSS tire -- cheaper and higher treadwear than PS2 -- A set of 4 should run you about $1000 on Tirerack. My 2013 still has PS2's on it from the factory, but I will be running PSS after they wear out.

As for taking the car to somewhere other than BMW for tire changes -- check out what kind of machine they have to put the tire on the rim. You want them to have Hunter "Touchless" (I believe its called) equipment like BMW does, so your rims won't be damaged in the process.

Me personally? I'd buy the tires separately from Tirerack then pay BMW to mount/balance/install.
The car has 2k miles on it, so not worth replacing all. At $60 to ship the tire it makes no sense to buy just one at Tire Rack. I save $100 going to a local tire shop. I am curious if there's anything different like weighted balance that I'm missing going there. I don't want to f with the performance and definitely don't want busted rims.
      01-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #5
nullrouted
Studying...

Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
The car has 2k miles on it, so not worth replacing all. At $60 to ship the tire it makes no sense to buy just one at Tire Rack. I save $100 going to a local tire shop. I am curious if there's anything different like weighted balance that I'm missing going there. I don't want to f with the performance and definitely don't want busted rims.
Another thing you could consider if its still possible, is the Tire/Wheel warranty. I picked that up for about $1000 when I bought the car and it's good for 5 years, any puncture/damage pretty much, and they'll tow me and give me a new tire at BMW (or a new tire + rim in the case that the rim is also damaged more than aesthetically). I haven't needed it yet, and most people on here think its a waste of money -- but with how many flats you've had, sounds like it would have been (and still may prove to be) valuable to you.
nullrouted is offline   United_States
      01-30-2014, 04:49 PM   #6
slicer
Brigadier General

Drives: '13 E92 M3

There are BMW specific tires by Continental, Michelin, and Pirelli for the M3 (all of these brands were available OEM). I just did a search on TireRack and they sell all three. Tirerack lists the 265/35/19 "BMW" continental for $369 ea. Since you already have the BMW version, I would get the BMW replacement tire. That way you have a matching set. If your tires are getting close to needing replacement, I would get a whole new set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I would not at all worry about getting a "BMW" spec tire when replacing the whole set. The Michelin PSS was not available OEM on the car so there isn't a "BMW" option available. The Michelin PS2 is the version that came on the car but its more expensive and the PSS is a better tire in all measures. Lastly, I never go to the BMW dealer for wheel / tire work or purchase. They are a rip off. I always buy from Tire Rack, and I have a few trusted tire shops that I know won't mess up my wheels. The key is to find a good tire shop that uses Hunter Road Force Balancers. Don't go to a clown-show tire shop that only handles toyota camry's.... and uses air guns to install wheels.
'13 SSII M3 Coupe - KW Clubsport 3-way (Eibach Front Spring Conversion), Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Front Bumper and Gloss Black Mirror Covers, TMS Studs/Lugs, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Interior Trim/Center Console, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, BMWPedals Extended DCT Paddles, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/35/18, 295/35/18)
      01-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
flea333
Lieutenant

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
There are BMW specific tires by Continental, Michelin, and Pirelli for the M3 (all of these brands were available OEM). I just did a search on TireRack and they sell all three. Tirerack lists the 265/35/19 "BMW" continental for $369 ea. Since you already have the BMW version, I would get the BMW replacement tire. That way you have a matching set. If your tires are getting close to needing replacement, I would get a whole new set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I would not at all worry about getting a "BMW" spec tire when replacing the whole set. The Michelin PSS was not available OEM on the car so there isn't a "BMW" option available. The Michelin PS2 is the version that came on the car but its more expensive and the PSS is a better tire in all measures. Lastly, I never go to the BMW dealer for wheel / tire work or purchase. They are a rip off. I always buy from Tire Rack, and I have a few trusted tire shops that I know won't mess up my wheels. The key is to find a good tire shop that uses Hunter Road Force Balancers. Don't go to a clown-show tire shop that only handles toyota camry's.... and uses air guns to install wheels.
I asked the guy and he said he uses some plastic to prevent scratching of the rim. I didn't get the balancer make though. I'm a little nervous about saving this $100 by going to this Tires Unlimited place.
      01-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
slicer
Brigadier General

Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
I asked the guy and he said he uses some plastic to prevent scratching of the rim. I didn't get the balancer make though. I'm a little nervous about saving this $100 by going to this Tires Unlimited place.
I don't know anything about Tires Unlimited so I can't say whether it's a good or bad move to go there instead of the dealership...
'13 SSII M3 Coupe - KW Clubsport 3-way (Eibach Front Spring Conversion), Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Front Bumper and Gloss Black Mirror Covers, TMS Studs/Lugs, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Interior Trim/Center Console, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, BMWPedals Extended DCT Paddles, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/35/18, 295/35/18)
      02-03-2014, 08:39 PM   #9
flea333
Lieutenant

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Well I did some more research.. on Continentials website I found a certified dealer, America's Tire. I told the guy there that I had two punctures on my front and rear tire. He measured the tread depth at 8/32 front and just below 7/32. He told me the rear tires new are 9 depth so the warranty covers it.

I came with this page printed out, which suprirsed me too that these tires come with road hazard warranty.
http://continentaltire.custhelp.com/...detail/a_id/33

Nevertheless I'm getting two OEM tires replaced for the cost of install! $60! Also they do use the Hunter balancing equipment.

I'm pretty sure Michelin does not have this kind of warranty. But I'll probably sell these tires and buy the PSS or A/S 3's anyway.
      02-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #10
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor

Drives: 740i

Quote:
For future reference, I'm guessing the $60 you are seeing is the cost to ship 4 tires unless you're in Hawaii or something. Usually should be 20something to ship a single.

In this case, nice that you were able to get road hazard coverage through the Continental authorized dealer.

And yes, there are BMW specific versions, but no you do not have to go through the BMW dealer. The BMW spec tires will have a five pointed star stamped on the sidewall to indicate that they are BMW original equipment. The ones that BMW dealers sell are the same ones that we sell, or anyone else would sell who has the 'star' version.

To credit the forum, click through one of the banners in my signature and the top of the page, or call me direct at 877.522.8473 ext 660.
Email:ben@tirerack.com
      02-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #11
flea333
Lieutenant

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
For future reference, I'm guessing the $60 you are seeing is the cost to ship 4 tires unless you're in Hawaii or something. Usually should be 20something to ship a single.

In this case, nice that you were able to get road hazard coverage through the Continental authorized dealer.

And yes, there are BMW specific versions, but no you do not have to go through the BMW dealer. The BMW spec tires will have a five pointed star stamped on the sidewall to indicate that they are BMW original equipment. The ones that BMW dealers sell are the same ones that we sell, or anyone else would sell who has the 'star' version.
I'll have to check for the 5 stars on the sidewall. Is there any difference? Why identify them differently if there isn't? The BMW dealer was telling me its a different rubber compound. I wasn't sure if I bought that.

Nevertheless, I want to replace all 4 tires with Michilin PSS's soon.
      02-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #12
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor

Drives: 740i

Quote:
I'll have to check for the 5 stars on the sidewall. Is there any difference? Why identify them differently if there isn't? The BMW dealer was telling me its a different rubber compound. I wasn't sure if I bought that.

Nevertheless, I want to replace all 4 tires with Michilin PSS's soon.
Just one star, with five points. Sorry for the confusion.

The carmakers regard the changes as proprietary information, so the only time we can identify differences is when they appear in the standard specs that have to be reported for a tire. It is possible that the star version would have a different compound. I tend to doubt it, but you never know.

The changes can be very subtle and never show up in specs. They may not be noticeable to the average (or even expert) driver. Generally, I recommend keeping with the original version if replacing less than a full set just to be safe. When buying 4 all together, I would not be too worried about it.

So the PSS currently does not have a 'Star' version. But as witnessed by this forum it works great on the M3.

To credit the forum, click through one of the banners in my signature and the top of the page, or call me direct at 877.522.8473 ext 660.
Email:ben@tirerack.com
      02-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #13
flea333
Lieutenant

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
So I went to America's Tire and the clowns did the following:

- Using a Hunter wheel balancer put a nice gouge in the edge of the rim (they said they must have had a missing or worn plastic cover and they just replaced all of them recently -- thanks for checking before balancing my brand new rim!)
- Using their stupid air guns marked and scratched up each bolt hole in the rim.
- put the tire pressure at 42 in the rear and 38 up front.
- didn't drive the car forward enough to get the rear jack support onto their lift, so this metal sphere nut head put a dent in my bottom rocker panel.
- left all kinds of glue and muck on my rims and tire after install
- Put ugly metal weighs and left the foam sticky tape on the rim from the nice painted BMW weights.

Where the heck can I get a trustworthy tire install??
The guys that are repairing my rim (America's Tire are paying) use plastic coated torque wrenches. They also have 92 ft-lb spec for 3 series, which I think is OK.

Debating getting my full replacement at Costco because they warranty their tires they put on for 5 freakin years...but I've heard they don't spin the tires fast enough and also trust them less. I spoke with a guy at their shop and he said just tell them before hand to be extra careful and not scratch... really? I have to say "don't scratch my rim please"?
      02-25-2014, 07:18 PM   #14
flea333
Lieutenant

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Here's another nag...

I really liked those BMW wheel weights that were rim matched painted. America's Tire put on these cheap steel pieces that have sharp edges...would be nice to get the BMW painted ones