BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #1
jss1
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Kentucky

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

What's your guess on increased horsepower with these mods?

Just wondering what you guys think the total added horsepower would be from my following mods. Dinan intake, BMW performance exhaust, and BPM stage 1 tune. I have 2013 E92 ZCP 6mt.
Thanks in advance.
__________________
jss1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2014, 10:54 PM   #2
tinman831
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DFW

Posts: 655
iTrader: (0)

Probably 15-20 hp easy.
tinman831 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2014, 11:09 PM   #3
ibmike
What the Hell ?
 
ibmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 e92 DCT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Michigan

Posts: 1,518
iTrader: (6)

Ditch the BMW performance exhaust Exhaust(cause there is nothing performance about it),and put in another $1200 gat a used Akra BPM stage 2 tune and youll get around 50hp.
__________________
Life's a Bitch,Just make sure that Bitch is Beautiful.
ibmike is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2014, 02:55 AM   #4
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,588
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Probably 15-25 crank HP.

If you go with something like a full Akra or catless midpipe and switch to stage II, you'll have a few more ponies in the stable

Hope you're enjoying the tune sir!
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

Posts: 1,555
iTrader: (3)

I would guess 15-20 rwhp. Rear exhaust does nothing. Intake could be worth 10 and tune could be worth 10. Add pulley, x-pipe and revised tune and you should double the gain.
pbonsalb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
Longboarder
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

Posts: 3,598
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 e92 M3  [4.96]
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.80]
2013 WRX STi  [4.00]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
We just did a dyno day this Saturday at EAS sponsored by Shift S3ctor. Tons of M3's there including one BPM tuned car owned by biggynuts01. PM him for dyno results.
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Longboarder is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
 
Wendall's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 1,146
iTrader: (3)

I have BPMstage 2, test pipes, Megan rear, AA filter and I dynoed @ 357whp sae (367whp std)/268ft lbs which is right around what mike is stating. Not good or bad, comes out to be 422bhp and 305ft-lbs at the crank. On EAS dynojet stock M3s run on average 330-340whp. Tune, filter and test pipes around 350-360whp. Intake, Race xpipe, tune, and udp will get you 365-380whp. Search EAS dyno day. There are results from 2012 that have alot of baseline comparisons. At the end of the day its really before and after results that matter (same day and same temps).

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743176

I was a bit bummed by my dyno as I wanted a unrealistic 375whp. However, I have now seen the light.....and will be getting either the vt2-585 or vt2-625 This summer.

If you are lucky you may have freak motor like Longboarders that dynoed 365whp stock. That's like 428hp at the crank.

Last edited by Wendall; 01-20-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Wendall is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #8
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
 
Wendall's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 1,146
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Probably 15-25 crank HP.

If you go with something like a full Akra or catless midpipe and switch to stage II, you'll have a few more ponies in the stable

Hope you're enjoying the tune sir!
Like mike said. I would expect 12-15hp @ the wheels. And another 10whp decatted. And another 10whp with pulleys.
Wendall is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 10,138
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
I have BPMstage 2, test pipes, Megan rear, AA filter and I dynoed @ 357whp sae (367whp std)/268ft lbs which is right around what mike is stating. Not good or bad, comes out to be 422bhp and 305ft-lbs at the crank. On EAS dynojet stock M3s run on average 330-340whp. Tune, filter and test pipes around 350-360whp. Intake, Race xpipe, tune, and udp will get you 365-380whp. Search EAS dyno day. There are results from 2012 that have alot of baseline comparisons. At the end of the day its really before and after results that matter (same day and same temps).

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743176

I was a bit bummed by my dyno as I wanted a unrealistic 375whp. However, I have now seen the light.....and will be getting either the vt2-585 or vt2-625 This summer.

If you are lucky you may have freak motor like Longboarders that dynoed 365whp stock. That's like 428hp at the crank.
I'd recommend the VT2-625 kit, we run the same system on our shop car.

If you'd like, we can reinstall the stock parts and flash the DME back to stock to get a true baseline just before the supercharger installation. This will also get some good data as to what the mods gained vs baseline.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com · web: www.europeanautosource.com · tel 866.669.0705 · ca: 714.369.8524 x22

eas M4 AY Progress/Buildup Journal · GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #10
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
 
Wendall's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 1,146
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
I'd recommend the VT2-625 kit, we run the same system on our shop car.

If you'd like, we can reinstall the stock parts and flash the DME back to stock to get a true baseline just before the supercharger installation. This will also get some good data as to what the mods gained vs baseline.
Tom, I'll give you a ring in a few months.
Wendall is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #11
Techjunkie666
First Lieutenant
 
Techjunkie666's Avatar
 
Drives: X5D SAV
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tx

Posts: 389
iTrader: (2)

I got close to 50 HP by doing the following
1) Dinan Intake
2) Dinan Pulley
3) Full Akra Exhaust with BPM Stage II
4) Servtronic Tune
5) Switched stock wheels for lighter wheels
6) Installed Recaro Sports Seats
Techjunkie666 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #12
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

Posts: 1,555
iTrader: (3)

If you are running 91 octane, you are probably down 10 rwhp.
pbonsalb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #13
Koldun
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 659
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike View Post
Ditch the BMW performance exhaust Exhaust(cause there is nothing performance about it)
Agreed, the BMW Performance exhaust is the dumbest purchase possible for this car. It does nothing for performance (actually less than nothing since it's hard to pair with x-/test pipes), it keeps the huge ugly ballsack muffler, and the sound improvement can be had for a few hundred bucks via the ACM mod. I guess the other three grand buy you new tips and save you like 20lbs?
Koldun is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2014, 06:54 PM   #14
Patrón
Vader
 
Patrón's Avatar
 
Drives: Melbourne Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 109
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
I have BPMstage 2, test pipes, Megan rear, AA filter and I dynoed @ 357whp sae (367whp std)/268ft lbs which is right around what mike is stating. Not good or bad, comes out to be 422bhp and 305ft-lbs at the crank. On EAS dynojet stock M3s run on average 330-340whp. Tune, filter and test pipes around 350-360whp. Intake, Race xpipe, tune, and udp will get you 365-380whp. Search EAS dyno day. There are results from 2012 that have alot of baseline comparisons. At the end of the day its really before and after results that matter (same day and same temps).

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743176

I was a bit bummed by my dyno as I wanted a unrealistic 375whp. However, I have now seen the light.....and will be getting either the vt2-585 or vt2-625 This summer.


If you are lucky you may have freak motor like Longboarders that dynoed 365whp stock. That's like 428hp at the crank.
Is that on 91 oct?
Wonder what a small change in oct to 93 would do to timing and end numbers.
Patrón is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #15
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,588
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
Is that on 91 oct?
Wonder what a small change in oct to 93 would do to timing and end numbers.
That should be 91 octane, which is what we get around here unfortunately.

There is *definitely* more room on 93 octane. Ususally 91 octane doesn't achieve the timing targets completely unless the conditions are ideal, where as 93 octane does quite more frequently. From what we've logged, you can expect a couple more degrees of ignition advance running 93 over 91.

My car on the same dyno put down roughly 380 at the end of 2011 - but with an older revision of software. I suspect I'm making a bit more now.

Another thing that comes into play here (aside from the obvious variables - strap down, temperature, humidity, fuel) is the age of the spark plugs. Older plugs do not provide quality feedback to the control unit, and the car will pull back ignition timing slightly.

Here is a link from a previous dyno day in which our customer Trevor made 373WHP STD.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743176 (Edit: looks like biggy already linked it )

Some stock M3's dyno in the low 300's.

This is an example of a car on 98 RON (equivalent to our 93 octane) before and after: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...84&postcount=1
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #16
Patrón
Vader
 
Patrón's Avatar
 
Drives: Melbourne Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 109
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
That should be 91 octane, which is what we get around here unfortunately.

There is *definitely* more room on 93 octane. Ususally 91 octane doesn't achieve the timing targets completely unless the conditions are ideal, where as 93 octane does quite more frequently. From what we've logged, you can expect a couple more degrees of ignition advance running 93 over 91.

My car on the same dyno put down roughly 380 at the end of 2011 - but with an older revision of software. I suspect I'm making a bit more now.

Another thing that comes into play here (aside from the obvious variables - strap down, temperature, humidity, fuel) is the age of the spark plugs. Older plugs do not provide quality feedback to the control unit, and the car will pull back ignition timing slightly.

Here is a link from a previous dyno day in which our customer Trevor made 373WHP STD.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743176 (Edit: looks like biggy already linked it )

Some stock M3's dyno in the low 300's.

This is an example of a car on 98 RON (equivalent to our 93 octane) before and after: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...84&postcount=1
thank you for the detailed reply. We're really lucky to have 93 all over my city and most of the state.
You have me sold. As soon as I decide on my center section/cat deletes I'll contact you for my purchase.
Patrón is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #17
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,588
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
thank you for the detailed reply. We're really lucky to have 93 all over my city and most of the state.
You have me sold. As soon as I decide on my center section/cat deletes I'll contact you for my purchase.
We'll definitely take care of you.

Here is a dyno from another one of our customers on the same dyno:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=916847 very nice numbers especially for 91 octane!
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #18
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 10,138
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
Tom, I'll give you a ring in a few months.
No problem. Looking forward to getting your M3 to its full potential.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com · web: www.europeanautosource.com · tel 866.669.0705 · ca: 714.369.8524 x22

eas M4 AY Progress/Buildup Journal · GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2014, 02:24 AM   #19
grantmax
Major
 
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: LA

Posts: 1,107
iTrader: (1)

I rode in an Akra Evo equipped car today. Scary fast.

If you're looking to free up some power, go this route. Do it twice.
grantmax is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2014, 10:20 PM   #20
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,588
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmax View Post
I rode in an Akra Evo equipped car today. Scary fast.

If you're looking to free up some power, go this route. Do it twice.
Come take a ride in mine

I love the eVo - perfect balance IMO, comes to life with a tune
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2014, 12:29 AM   #21
grantmax
Major
 
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: LA

Posts: 1,107
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Come take a ride in mine

I love the eVo - perfect balance IMO, comes to life with a tune
I'll come by for a ride and a tune soon.
grantmax is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2014, 06:52 AM   #22
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
 
Wendall's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 1,146
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
Is that on 91 oct?
Wonder what a small change in oct to 93 would do to timing and end numbers.
Yes 91 oct.
Wendall is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST