BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #353
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
13,014
Posts

 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Correct, they can... but they shouldn't have to
Yes they should, something is always changing, tire temps, grip level, slow traffic, whatever. Good driver by definition micromanages his situation.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #354
sunsweet
Captain
sunsweet's Avatar
18
Rep
938
Posts

 
Drives: '13 ZCP factory order
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Still looks like an old n tired 'vette with some added sharp angles and stealing from other cars. I can see they stole from the GT-R rear extending the rear much lower and took the M3 hood bump. Still does not look young and dynamic but more like a sexagenarian fed on burger king. The body lines are way too complicated. It just look like the old vette with a cloak of jagged line on top. I admit I hate vettes and anything with a pushrod engine. But it would be a nice car for Grandpa.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #355
gthal
Brigadier General
gthal's Avatar
Canada
83
Rep
3,509
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Yes they should, something is always changing, tire temps, grip level, slow traffic, whatever. Good driver by definition micromanages his situation.
Let me rephrase... they shouldn't have to adjust for inferior technology in the car Not saying the auto will be inferior. My point wasn't that a driver doesn't need to make on-track adjustments (we both know that is part of the fun) but it shouldn't be because the manufacturer put a less than optimal transmission in a car as capable as the Z06 (again, not saying this is what will happen).
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #356
Petros
Banned
11
Rep
1,162
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canada

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Correct, I misspoke, you can't get more power to the wheels than you have power at the crank and power is what gives you acceleration, not torque... I also meant torque converter not clutch, d'oh... However, there are considerable losses from the conditions near stall when torque is multiplied, which will get you less power to the wheels.
Not really. Power is just a number used by marketing departments to sell cars. What makes you accelerate is torque. Just like acceleration is proportional to force in a straight line, the acceleration of a rotating mass is proportional to the torque applied. Power is just the product of torque and rotational speeds. With the torque multiplication you get at idle, an autobox can get the car out of a dig much quicker than a clutch. Yes, there are some losses at high rotational speed, which is why most torque converters nowadays have clutches that lock the two halves together and effectively bypasses the torque converter at high speeds. But when starting off from a stop, torque converters are actually very very good. That's why drag racers love them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
Still looks like an old n tired 'vette with some added sharp angles and stealing from other cars. I can see they stole from the GT-R rear extending the rear much lower and took the M3 hood bump. Still does not look young and dynamic but more like a sexagenarian fed on burger king. The body lines are way too complicated. It just look like the old vette with a cloak of jagged line on top. I admit I hate vettes and anything with a pushrod engine. But it would be a nice car for Grandpa.
Yeah and that "grandpa car" will run circles around your 3 series grocery getter
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #357
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
13,014
Posts

 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Let me rephrase... they shouldn't have to adjust for inferior technology in the car Not saying the auto will be inferior. My point wasn't that a driver doesn't need to make on-track adjustments (we both know that is part of the fun) but it shouldn't be because the manufacturer put a less than optimal transmission in a car as capable as the Z06 (again, not saying this is what will happen).
I know what you were saying just busting your balls a little. I know your experience. Still in the e36 and loving it?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #358
Petros
Banned
11
Rep
1,162
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canada

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Let me rephrase... they shouldn't have to adjust for inferior technology in the car Not saying the auto will be inferior. My point wasn't that a driver doesn't need to make on-track adjustments (we both know that is part of the fun) but it shouldn't be because the manufacturer put a less than optimal transmission in a car as capable as the Z06 (again, not saying this is what will happen).
What makes you think it will be less than optimal? It will very likely launch better than a DCT because the torque converter will help magnify torque and you won't have to fiddle with sophisticated software to keep the clutches from self destructing like with a DCT. At speed it will upshift faster than a PDK. And downshifts will probably be very good too. And even if it was a few milliseconds slower on the downshift, that's not something anyone will notice or care about. And it will possibly also be chaper, more reliable and easier to fix than a DCT.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #359
Groundpilot
Major
Groundpilot's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,323
Posts

 
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: long island,ny

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Groundpilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
Still looks like an old n tired 'vette with some added sharp angles and stealing from other cars. I can see they stole from the GT-R rear extending the rear much lower and took the M3 hood bump. Still does not look young and dynamic but more like a sexagenarian fed on burger king. The body lines are way too complicated. It just look like the old vette with a cloak of jagged line on top. I admit I hate vettes and anything with a pushrod engine. But it would be a nice car for Grandpa.
I agree. This old n tired vette is for grandpas and grandmas. You should get toyota prius. I hear, it is phenomenal
__________________

David
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #360
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
71
Rep
3,960
Posts

 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
Still looks like an old n tired 'vette with some added sharp angles and stealing from other cars. I can see they stole from the GT-R rear extending the rear much lower and took the M3 hood bump. Still does not look young and dynamic but more like a sexagenarian fed on burger king. The body lines are way too complicated. It just look like the old vette with a cloak of jagged line on top. I admit I hate vettes and anything with a pushrod engine. But it would be a nice car for Grandpa.
What are you smoking man ?
To much of THC ?
Sorry man but your comment sounds like BS
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 02-09-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #361
gthal
Brigadier General
gthal's Avatar
Canada
83
Rep
3,509
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
What makes you think it will be less than optimal? It will very likely launch better than a DCT because the torque converter will help magnify torque and you won't have to fiddle with sophisticated software to keep the clutches from self destructing like with a DCT. At speed it will upshift faster than a PDK. And downshifts will probably be very good too. And even if it was a few milliseconds slower on the downshift, that's not something anyone will notice or care about. And it will possibly also be chaper, more reliable and easier to fix than a DCT.
First... I've been pretty clear that I'm confident GM will get it right. Second... if I'm at all pessimistic it is because of my experience with modern and capable torque converters and modern and capable DCTs.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #362
gthal
Brigadier General
gthal's Avatar
Canada
83
Rep
3,509
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I know what you were saying just busting your balls a little. I know your experience. Still in the e36 and loving it?
I knew you were

Sold the E36 and the buyer made it into a true race car... it was a fantastic car and I loved every minute of it. Best track car I have ever driven. Sold it to make room for the C7. Still second guessing myself on that.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #363
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
13,014
Posts

 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I knew you were

Sold the E36 and the buyer made it into a true race car... it was a fantastic car and I loved every minute of it. Best track car I have ever driven. Sold it to make room for the C7. Still second guessing myself on that.
Yeah depends on your goals. Put a little into the c7 and it should deliver smiles for miles!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #364
sunsweet
Captain
sunsweet's Avatar
18
Rep
938
Posts

 
Drives: '13 ZCP factory order
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
I agree. This old n tired vette is for grandpas and grandmas. You should get toyota prius. I hear, it is phenomenal
you don't agree but your reply has the na´vetÚ of an 8 year old, except they will learn but you never will. Yeah, many people hate vettes. I do. I would get a high revving V10 DOHC or V12 anytime over a modified tractor engine. You bought a 135i ? ...don't waste my time, boy.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #365
Groundpilot
Major
Groundpilot's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,323
Posts

 
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: long island,ny

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Groundpilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
you don't agree but your reply has the na´vetÚ of an 8 year old, except they will learn but you never will. Yeah, many people hate vettes. I do. I would get a high revving V10 DOHC or V12 anytime over a modified tractor engine. You bought a 135i ? ...don't waste my time, boy.
Honestly, you look like a moron to me. My guess is, you look like a moron to everybody else who is reading this thread.
One more thing. If you bring your M3 to any track in the north east, i am willing to bet, i will beat your punk ass with my 135i.
__________________

David
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #366
gthal
Brigadier General
gthal's Avatar
Canada
83
Rep
3,509
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
you don't agree but your reply has the na´vetÚ of an 8 year old, except they will learn but you never will. Yeah, many people hate vettes. I do. I would get a high revving V10 DOHC or V12 anytime over a modified tractor engine. You bought a 135i ? ...don't waste my time, boy.
Sad...

Hopefully you don't get lapped by one of those modified tractor engines the next time you are at the track... Considering there are few cars that will be able to keep up with it (including most of your V10/12 engines), I would think my prediction is pretty accurate. I hate those tractor engines too

Last edited by gthal; 02-09-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #367
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
13,014
Posts

 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Honestly, you look like a moron to me. My guess is, you look like a moron to everybody else who is reading this thread.
One more thing. If you bring your M3 to any track in the north east, i am willing to bet, i will beat your punk ass with my 135i.
Ah geez, this is a z06 thread. No m3 on 135 challenges! Its a draw you both lose.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #368
JAM3S
Captain
JAM3S's Avatar
7
Rep
601
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
Still looks like an old n tired 'vette with some added sharp angles and stealing from other cars. I can see they stole from the GT-R rear extending the rear much lower and took the M3 hood bump. Still does not look young and dynamic but more like a sexagenarian fed on burger king. The body lines are way too complicated. It just look like the old vette with a cloak of jagged line on top. I admit I hate vettes and anything with a pushrod engine. But it would be a nice car for Grandpa.
U mad bro?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 11:50 PM   #369
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
215
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Not really. Power is just a number used by marketing departments to sell cars. What makes you accelerate is torque. Just like acceleration is proportional to force in a straight line, the acceleration of a rotating mass is proportional to the torque applied. Power is just the product of torque and rotational speeds.
I don't really want to start another epic torque vs. horsepower debate. They are ALWAYS lost...

If you feel as you stated about power above you have some serious learning to do. Power is a very fundamental physics/physics concept as it torque. When something is being driven rotationally both are always present. However, vehicle performance is ALL ABOUT power (power to weight, of course). You do realize that you can double (or any other amount you like) the torque an engine puts out at the crank and if you do not increase the power, the car will accelerate identically? You CAN NOT do that with power. Without also knowing gearing, torque at the crank is utterly useless in determining vehicle performance.

I kindly suggest reading one of the many epic debates/conversations here on this forum about the topic. I really am going to bite my tongue and won't discuss this further until you have bothered to do so.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 12:02 AM   #370
sunsweet
Captain
sunsweet's Avatar
18
Rep
938
Posts

 
Drives: '13 ZCP factory order
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post
U mad bro?
No it's cool bro, the vette formula just feels ancient to me. Imagine in the future if progresses in genetics and biocells biotechnology can recreate a live dinosaur. That's how i feel when I see any vette including this stingray zo*. To me chevy's have always followed the principle "if it's not broken, don't fix it" as an excuse for serving the same old tired cars for 30 years. Obviously muscle cars satisfy some drivers. It's a lot like those body builders that inject steroids. Looking big, lifting heavy but look at a fighter it's not about the max weight he can bench. The same for cars trying to have the biggest numbers on tq and hp. Those vettes/stingray is like a prehistoric specie that should already have become extinct and living on borrowed time.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 12:03 AM   #371
Petros
Banned
11
Rep
1,162
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canada

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I don't really want to start another epic torque vs. horsepower debate. They are ALWAYS lost...

If you feel as you stated about power above you have some serious learning to do. Power is a very fundamental physics/physics concept as it torque. When something is being driven rotationally both are always present. However, vehicle performance is ALL ABOUT power (power to weight, of course). You do realize that you can double (or any other amount you like) the torque an engine puts out at the crank and if you do not increase the power, the car will accelerate identically? You CAN NOT do that with power. Without also knowing gearing, torque at the crank is utterly useless in determining vehicle performance.

I kindly suggest reading one of the many epic debates/conversations here on this forum about the topic. I really am going to bite my tongue and won't discuss this further until you have bothered to do so.
Well, you're the one who seems to be confused about this topic. I have 2 university degrees so I'm sure about what I'm talking about. Power is simply the PRODUCT of both torque and rotational speed. You keep talking as if they are separate things. If you increase the torque output of an engine, for example by supercharging it, then you cannot possibly not increase the power output at the same rotational speed. Torque is the independent variable, the one along the x axis. Power is the dependent variable. It is on the y axis and is a function of torque. Saying that car A is faster than car B because it has a higher peak horsepower is nonsense. What matters is the torque curve at the wheels as the speed increases from stop to the desired top speed. This is dependent on two things, the torque output of the engine, and the torque magnification through the gears of the transmission and differential. Power and torque are not separate and independent entities like you make them seem. Power is a function of torque and is determined by torque and rotational speed only. It's just like power for an object moving in a straight line, just a product of the force and the speed of the object.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 04:21 AM   #372
swanson
Convicted Felon
swanson's Avatar
32
Rep
1,602
Posts

 
Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
No it's cool bro, the vette formula just feels ancient to me. Imagine in the future if progresses in genetics and biocells biotechnology can recreate a live dinosaur. That's how i feel when I see any vette including this stingray zo*. To me chevy's have always followed the principle "if it's not broken, don't fix it" as an excuse for serving the same old tired cars for 30 years. Obviously muscle cars satisfy some drivers. It's a lot like those body builders that inject steroids. Looking big, lifting heavy but look at a fighter it's not about the max weight he can bench. The same for cars trying to have the biggest numbers on tq and hp. Those vettes/stingray is like a prehistoric specie that should already have become extinct and living on borrowed time.
There is so much lol here that, I cant anymore. May God have mercy on your soul.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #373
Groundpilot
Major
Groundpilot's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,323
Posts

 
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: long island,ny

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Groundpilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Well, you're the one who seems to be confused about this topic. I have 2 university degrees so I'm sure about what I'm talking about. Power is simply the PRODUCT of both torque and rotational speed. You keep talking as if they are separate things. If you increase the torque output of an engine, for example by supercharging it, then you cannot possibly not increase the power output at the same rotational speed. Torque is the independent variable, the one along the x axis. Power is the dependent variable. It is on the y axis and is a function of torque. Saying that car A is faster than car B because it has a higher peak horsepower is nonsense. What matters is the torque curve at the wheels as the speed increases from stop to the desired top speed. This is dependent on two things, the torque output of the engine, and the torque magnification through the gears of the transmission and differential. Power and torque are not separate and independent entities like you make them seem. Power is a function of torque and is determined by torque and rotational speed only. It's just like power for an object moving in a straight line, just a product of the force and the speed of the object.
Great post
__________________

David
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #374
Blipit_
Captain
11
Rep
967
Posts

 
Drives: M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: bmw

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
There is so much lol here that, I cant anymore. May God have mercy on your soul.
He is just mad he lives in the land of Nascar.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST