BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
LarThaL
Colonel
 
LarThaL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

Posts: 2,506
iTrader: (0)

Max performance tires compared in photos

Check out the pics below. These are all top rated max performance tires. Very revealing:

#1


What you see here, is that the 275 Michelin (left) is about 3mm narrower than the 265 Continental (right)


#2


The 265 Continental (left) is 10mm narrower than the 255 Yokohama (right)


#3


Finally, the 275 Michelin (left) is a full 13mm narrower than the 255 Yokohama (right)

I knew there are variations in sizes but for a 275 of one brand to be 13mm NARROWER than a 255 of another brand is quite surprising to me. This can be quite an issue with tight/aggressive fitments, rubbing, etc. Guess you really can't compare between tire brands. And then when you consider aspect ratio, this may affect overall diameter also.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6


Last edited by LarThaL; 01-08-2014 at 09:46 PM.
LarThaL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
W///
Brigadier General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 4,485
iTrader: (11)

Wow cool, thanks so much for sharing. I guess I have no choice but to stay with Michelins (vs trying out AD08R's) because I'm close to rubbing already.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Eisenmann | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

Posts: 1,521
iTrader: (3)

Tire Rack has the details in its specificatons. The tested wheel size is shown. If running the tire on a wider or narrower wheel, the tire will be very slightly wider or narrower.
pbonsalb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
Brian0473
Second Lieutenant
 
Brian0473's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SSII DCT Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 261
iTrader: (3)

Wow...very helpful. This could be a great sticky if everyone would contribute who either owns multiple sets of tires or takes pics when they buy new ones.

Also, do you know the actual tire type and sizes used? (i.e. was the Michelin a 275/35 or 275/30...?). It will be interesting what the specs out on say Tirerack.com say.
__________________
'10 SSII/Fox Red M3 DCT (Forgeline GA1R 19's,Stop Tech BBK,Eibach,AA Green Filter,Full catless IPE F1 Valvetronic Exhaust,Evolve Tune,GTS DCT Tune, a few other cosmetic goodies)
'92 Spec Miata (At Track); '11 F150 (Outside).

Brian0473 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2014, 09:55 PM   #5
LarThaL
Colonel
 
LarThaL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

Posts: 2,506
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian0473 View Post
Wow...very helpful. This could be a great sticky if everyone would contribute who either owns multiple sets of tires or takes pics when they buy new ones.

Also, do you know the actual tire type and sizes used? (i.e. was the Michelin a 275/35 or 275/30...?). It will be interesting what the specs out on say Tirerack.com say.
The Michelin is a 275/40/20 Latitude Sport which is an SUV load rated version of the PS2 from my old Porsche Cayenne

The Continental is a 265/35/19 Contisport which is OEM stock from my 2011 M3 ZCP

The Yokohama is a 255/35/20 Advan Sport which in the OEM tire on my 2014 Audi S6.

I recently purchased a new Audi S6. I had the stock tires removed and replaced with OEM sized winter tires prior to delivery. When I looked at the width of the Yokohamas, I had to do a double take on the size because they seemed so wide. Indeed, my comparative measurements of all these unmounted tires lying on a flat surface confirmed my initial impression.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6


Last edited by LarThaL; 01-09-2014 at 06:02 PM.
LarThaL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2014, 04:06 AM   #6
r53s65e90
8300
 
r53s65e90's Avatar
 
Drives: r53 s65e90
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 528
iTrader: (0)

IMHO measurements are meaningless if tires are not mounted. Also 265, 275 and so on, refers to the maximum width of a tire cross section when mounted on a recommended rim and not the tread width, which is not standardized.
r53s65e90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #7
Brian0473
Second Lieutenant
 
Brian0473's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SSII DCT Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 261
iTrader: (3)

But the photos are really showing the difference in cross section widths. If you go out to tirerack you can see these listed for every tire they sell. A quick look showed the opposite of the photos so this is interesting. I agree on the mounted vs. not mounted point.
__________________
'10 SSII/Fox Red M3 DCT (Forgeline GA1R 19's,Stop Tech BBK,Eibach,AA Green Filter,Full catless IPE F1 Valvetronic Exhaust,Evolve Tune,GTS DCT Tune, a few other cosmetic goodies)
'92 Spec Miata (At Track); '11 F150 (Outside).

Brian0473 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #8
CSBM5
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 M3, 2001 M5, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC

Posts: 470
iTrader: (0)

Somewhat misleading since wheel widths are not shown, and those make a big difference in section width measurements. I can promise you that a 275/35-19 Michelin PSS is definitely wider than a 265/35-19 Continental DW when both are mounted on the same 9.5" wheel (recently evaluated this when buying PSS').

Here's one of my examples (I have many of these I've evaluated) -- this is a 245/40-18 BFG Rival, both tires shown are identical. Guess the difference.



__________________
Current Stable:
2011.5 M3 sedan 6MT, Silverstone, no sunroof, no EDC, but all other options
2001 M5 LeMans Blue/Silverstone
2006 330i 6MT Red/black, ZSP, Nav, etc.
2001 Audi S4 6MT; 1996 Volvo 850R wagon
CSBM5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
325rider
Zyzz Follower
 
Drives: '11 e90 M3 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Miami, Fl

Posts: 767
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Somewhat misleading since wheel widths are not shown, and those make a big difference in section width measurements. I can promise you that a 275/35-19 Michelin PSS is definitely wider than a 265/35-19 Continental DW when both are mounted on the same 9.5" wheel (recently evaluated this when buying PSS').

Here's one of my examples (I have many of these I've evaluated) -- this is a 245/40-18 BFG Rival, both tires shown are identical. Guess the difference. :)



They were mounted on wheels with different widths? How bout telling us
325rider is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #10
CSBM5
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 M3, 2001 M5, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC

Posts: 470
iTrader: (0)

Yep, of course. The one on the left is on a 8.5" wheel and the one on the right is on a 9.5" wheel.
__________________
Current Stable:
2011.5 M3 sedan 6MT, Silverstone, no sunroof, no EDC, but all other options
2001 M5 LeMans Blue/Silverstone
2006 330i 6MT Red/black, ZSP, Nav, etc.
2001 Audi S4 6MT; 1996 Volvo 850R wagon
CSBM5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #11
dereksM3
Second Lieutenant
 
dereksM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SGM E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lynnwood, WA

Posts: 225
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Somewhat misleading since wheel widths are not shown, and those make a big difference in section width measurements. I can promise you that a 275/35-19 Michelin PSS is definitely wider than a 265/35-19 Continental DW when both are mounted on the same 9.5" wheel (recently evaluated this when buying PSS').
Have any pictures of this as I'm very curious since I will be getting 275/35 PSS...even compared to OEM PS2 sizes as well.
dereksM3 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #12
CSBM5
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 M3, 2001 M5, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC

Posts: 470
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
Have any pictures of this as I'm very curious since I will be getting 275/35 PSS...even compared to OEM PS2 sizes as well.
No, sorry, didn't take pics at the tire shop. I do have a pic of the 265/35-19 DW vs this 245/40-18 Rival both on 9.5" wheels though. The 265 DW was only 8mm wider than the 245 Rival when both are on a 9.5" wheel.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Current Stable:
2011.5 M3 sedan 6MT, Silverstone, no sunroof, no EDC, but all other options
2001 M5 LeMans Blue/Silverstone
2006 330i 6MT Red/black, ZSP, Nav, etc.
2001 Audi S4 6MT; 1996 Volvo 850R wagon
CSBM5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #13
LarThaL
Colonel
 
LarThaL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

Posts: 2,506
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Somewhat misleading since wheel widths are not shown, and those make a big difference in section width measurements. I can promise you that a 275/35-19 Michelin PSS is definitely wider than a 265/35-19 Continental DW when both are mounted on the same 9.5" wheel (recently evaluated this when buying PSS').

Here's one of my examples (I have many of these I've evaluated) -- this is a 245/40-18 BFG Rival, both tires shown are identical. Guess the difference.



There are no wheel widths. These are all UNMOUNTED TIRES. There is usually a recommended range of wheel widths for a given tire.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

LarThaL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #14
CSBM5
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 M3, 2001 M5, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC

Posts: 470
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
There are no wheel widths. These are all UNMOUNTED TIRES. There is usually a recommended range of wheel widths for a given tire.
Ah, that makes sense now. You really can't compare unmounted tires since due to substantial differences in sidewall design, trying to measure section width, unmounted and uninflated, is pointless. You will find wide variation in unmounted section widths depending on the specific tire type...many years ago I was comparing unmounted Hoosier A6 versus BFG R1, for example, and made conclusions based on that, but they were completely invalid once I compared them mounted on the same wheel width and inflated.

Regards,
Chuck
__________________
Current Stable:
2011.5 M3 sedan 6MT, Silverstone, no sunroof, no EDC, but all other options
2001 M5 LeMans Blue/Silverstone
2006 330i 6MT Red/black, ZSP, Nav, etc.
2001 Audi S4 6MT; 1996 Volvo 850R wagon
CSBM5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #15
Handy Man
Private
 
Drives: Pending
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: United States

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Ah, that makes sense now. You really can't compare unmounted tires since due to substantial differences in sidewall design, trying to measure section width, unmounted and uninflated, is pointless. You will find wide variation in unmounted section widths depending on the specific tire type...many years ago I was comparing unmounted Hoosier A6 versus BFG R1, for example, and made conclusions based on that, but they were completely invalid once I compared them mounted on the same wheel width and inflated.

Regards,
Chuck
What he said.
Handy Man is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #16
LarThaL
Colonel
 
LarThaL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

Posts: 2,506
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Ah, that makes sense now. You really can't compare unmounted tires since due to substantial differences in sidewall design, trying to measure section width, unmounted and uninflated, is pointless. You will find wide variation in unmounted section widths depending on the specific tire type...many years ago I was comparing unmounted Hoosier A6 versus BFG R1, for example, and made conclusions based on that, but they were completely invalid once I compared them mounted on the same wheel width and inflated.

Regards,
Chuck
But still....you wouldn't expect a 275 to be that much narrower than a 255. This is, in essense a 33mm "error".

FWIW, if I measure the unmounted treads, the 275 Michelin has a 267mm tread. The 265 Continental has a 270mm tread (although the tread is slightly more worn) and the 255 Yokohama (new) has a 274mm tread
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

LarThaL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #17
Colorado Rob
Registered
 
Drives: 2011 Comp 7speed Alpine Carbon
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Colorado Springs

Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Need tires - help 2011 M3 Comp 9" & 10" - which tires ?

My original sizes: 245/30/19 265/30/19
I think my spacers are F-12mm to 15mm
R -18mm
I have always gone PS2s.
What pilot sport or other tires do you all love ?
What sizes ?
Thx
Colorado Rob is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #18
tdott
Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: T.Dot

Posts: 420
iTrader: (1)

I don't think those are accurate measurements, you are measuring the side wall bulge which has little impact on what actually touches the ground.

What you need to measure is the contact patch, the width of the tire that actually touches the ground. By measuring the contact patch you eliminate things like rim protectors that make the side walls budge out further. Also stating just the brand of tire is useless as different models will have different variances. You should state the full tire size and model of tire.
__________________
tdott is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #19
LarThaL
Colonel
 
LarThaL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

Posts: 2,506
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
I don't think those are accurate measurements, you are measuring the side wall bulge which has little impact on what actually touches the ground.

What you need to measure is the contact patch, the width of the tire that actually touches the ground. By measuring the contact patch you eliminate things like rim protectors that make the side walls budge out further. Also stating just the brand of tire is useless as different models will have different variances. You should state the full tire size and model of tire.
These were tread measurements done in a consistent manner between tires. Nothing to do with sidewall bulge, etc.

Again, I am not surprised that there is variation. It is the degree of variation that surprises me.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

LarThaL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #20
tdott
Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: T.Dot

Posts: 420
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
These were tread measurements done in a consistent manner between tires. Nothing to do with sidewall bulge, etc.

Again, I am not surprised that there is variation. It is the degree of variation that surprises me.
Excuse the bad paint drawing, arrows are not exact just to give an idea of what I mean.

The amount of wide wall bulge or distance from the actual contact area differs between tires.
Attached Images
 
__________________
tdott is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #21
Amirsm3
Major
 
Amirsm3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Williams/Flagstaff, AZ

Posts: 1,115
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Tire Rack has the details in its specificatons. The tested wheel size is shown. If running the tire on a wider or narrower wheel, the tire will be very slightly wider or narrower.
I love tire rack's thoroughness with the tire specs.
__________________
2011 e90 M3 Space Grey DCT- black eAs gills/grilles, eAs H8 LED Corona bulbs, BMW carbon fiber mirror caps, Agency Power CF elbow, MS 12f/12r spacers, Alex@AlpineMSS DCT Flash, iND reflectors
Amirsm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #22
Amirsm3
Major
 
Amirsm3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Williams/Flagstaff, AZ

Posts: 1,115
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Excuse the bad paint drawing, arrows are not exact just to give an idea of what I mean.

The amount of wide wall bulge or distance from the actual contact area differs between tires.
But then there's still a variance. The one on the left is supposed to be a 275 width michelin and the one on the right is a 255 yoko. Subtract the sidewalls, still the same story.
__________________
2011 e90 M3 Space Grey DCT- black eAs gills/grilles, eAs H8 LED Corona bulbs, BMW carbon fiber mirror caps, Agency Power CF elbow, MS 12f/12r spacers, Alex@AlpineMSS DCT Flash, iND reflectors
Amirsm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST