BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
EclipsisNA
View Poll Results: Base price, USD
<$55k 10 10.64%
$55k-$57k 23 24.47%
$57k-$59k 32 34.04%
$60k-$62k 18 19.15%
$62k-$64k 1 1.06%
$64k-$66k 2 2.13%
>$66k 8 8.51%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-01-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
swamp2
Major General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 9,939
iTrader: (1)

Pricing

OK we are getting fairly close to a US price announcement. I thought it was time for another poll. What will the base price, excluding delivery, taxes and of course all options be?
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,242
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
US list price

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
OK we are getting fairly close to a US price announcement. I thought it was time for another poll. What will the base price, excluding delivery, taxes and of course all options be?
I was guessing 55-57k, but the tide has me raising that a bit. I still think under 60K, though (delivery probably pushing it over).
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2008 M3 Coupe - Alpine/Fox Red/Carbon
2015 M4 coupe on order
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #3
abhagat
New Member
 
Drives: E92 335
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

I voted with my heart, not my mind =(
abhagat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 10:55 PM   #4
masmole
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 RS4, 07 ML63, 06 M5
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 489
iTrader: (0)

Well I voted with my mind. My convoluted often befuddled mind. I say no more than $57k base msrp, possibly lower. There's a reason why BMW has skimped on standard features and offered cloth seats on the base US car: to make it more attainable for more of its target consumers. And to those that care less about how much it'll all cost, BMW will also be gracious enough to nickel and dime you with options galore so that you may buy a $70k+ fully-optioned M3 should you desire to. No doubt the base M3 will be priced to sell, but it will also be priced to take advantage of the typical US customer who have a natural tendency to check everything on the options list, complain momentarily from sticker shock, then go ahead and buy the damn car anyway. A base "stripper" M3 will be attractively priced at around $55-57k because it will need to compete with the likes of the C63, IS-F, the better-equipped (standard feature-wise) but more expensive Audi RS4, and on the lower end of the spectrum, the prettier-looking new S5 which although underpowered will undoubtedly be cross-shopped with the M3 (I know I did) since it's a relative bargain at a base price of $50,500 already nicely equipped. That's a hell of a lot competition.

I believe such a pricing scheme (low base msrp, high fully-optioned msrp) will make for a harmonic exchange of funds from the consumers to BMW. Just my $0.02.
masmole is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 11:08 PM   #5
mesier1111
Banned
 
mesier1111's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i coupe, titanium
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bucks County, PA

Posts: 1,628
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
Well I voted with my mind. My convoluted often befuddled mind. I say no more than $57k base msrp, possibly lower. There's a reason why BMW has skimped on standard features and offered cloth seats on the base US car: to make it more attainable for more of its target consumers. And to those that care less about how much it'll all cost, BMW will also be gracious enough to nickel and dime you with options galore so that you may buy a $70k+ fully-optioned M3 should you desire to. No doubt the base M3 will be priced to sell, but it will also be priced to take advantage of the typical US customer who have a natural tendency to check everything on the options list, complain momentarily from sticker shock, then go ahead and buy the damn car anyway. A base "stripper" M3 will be attractively priced at around $55-57k because it will need to compete with the likes of the C63, IS-F, the better-equipped (standard feature-wise) but more expensive Audi RS4, and on the lower end of the spectrum, the prettier-looking new S5 which although underpowered will undoubtedly be cross-shopped with the M3 (I know I did) since it's a relative bargain at a base price of $50,500 already nicely equipped. That's a hell of a lot competition.

I believe such a pricing scheme (low base msrp, high fully-optioned msrp) will make for a harmonic exchange of funds from the consumers to BMW. Just my $0.02.
Nicely stated. Perfect actually.
mesier1111 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 11:12 PM   #6
Alumac
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: prudently
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 263
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
Well I voted with my mind. My convoluted often befuddled mind. I say no more than $57k base msrp, possibly lower. There's a reason why BMW has skimped on standard features and offered cloth seats on the base US car: to make it more attainable for more of its target consumers. And to those that care less about how much it'll all cost, BMW will also be gracious enough to nickel and dime you with options galore so that you may buy a $70k+ fully-optioned M3 should you desire to. No doubt the base M3 will be priced to sell, but it will also be priced to take advantage of the typical US customer who have a natural tendency to check everything on the options list, complain momentarily from sticker shock, then go ahead and buy the damn car anyway. A base "stripper" M3 will be attractively priced at around $55-57k because it will need to compete with the likes of the C63, IS-F, the better-equipped (standard feature-wise) but more expensive Audi RS4, and on the lower end of the spectrum, the prettier-looking new S5 which although underpowered will undoubtedly be cross-shopped with the M3 (I know I did) since it's a relative bargain at a base price of $50,500 already nicely equipped. That's a hell of a lot competition.

I believe such a pricing scheme (low base msrp, high fully-optioned msrp) will make for a harmonic exchange of funds from the consumers to BMW. Just my $0.02.
Well done... I too believe the base price will fall close to mid 50s. The cost will be in the options.
Alumac is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #7
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
 
ruff's Avatar
 
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The mountains of Utah

Posts: 1,184
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
Well I voted with my mind. My convoluted often befuddled mind. I say no more than $57k base msrp, possibly lower. There's a reason why BMW has skimped on standard features and offered cloth seats on the base US car: to make it more attainable for more of its target consumers. And to those that care less about how much it'll all cost, BMW will also be gracious enough to nickel and dime you with options galore so that you may buy a $70k+ fully-optioned M3 should you desire to. No doubt the base M3 will be priced to sell, but it will also be priced to take advantage of the typical US customer who have a natural tendency to check everything on the options list, complain momentarily from sticker shock, then go ahead and buy the damn car anyway. A base "stripper" M3 will be attractively priced at around $55-57k because it will need to compete with the likes of the C63, IS-F, the better-equipped (standard feature-wise) but more expensive Audi RS4, and on the lower end of the spectrum, the prettier-looking new S5 which although underpowered will undoubtedly be cross-shopped with the M3 (I know I did) since it's a relative bargain at a base price of $50,500 already nicely equipped. That's a hell of a lot competition.

I believe such a pricing scheme (low base msrp, high fully-optioned msrp) will make for a harmonic exchange of funds from the consumers to BMW. Just my $0.02.
Well, I believe your two cents are right on other than I am with Gregg in thinking the tide is turning against the M3 with reasonable pricing and BMW will probably try to use some fancy smancy marketing ploy by pricing it like 59,999, so we will be able to to tell everyone we got her for under 60k. Just so happens to be, we will fail to mention gas guzzler tax, destination charges, fees this and fees that, and more taxes and license, which will put it close to the mid 60s. And without checking a single option. But hey, we did get her for under 60 k now didn't we. Reminds me of those who return from Vegas and always say they come out ahead on the poker tables. Then I wonder, who really is financing all the mega resorts in the barren desert.
ruff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2007, 12:06 AM   #8
Hans Delbruck
BMW &amp; MB - friends in my garage
 
Hans Delbruck's Avatar
 
Drives: C63, 135i, 1959 BUICK
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Posts: 1,285
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
I am with Gregg in thinking the tide is turning against the M3 with reasonable pricing and BMW will probably try to use some fancy smancy marketing ploy by pricing it like 59,999, so we will be able to to tell everyone we got her for under 60k. Just so happens to be, we will fail to mention gas guzzler tax, destination charges, fees this and fees that, and more taxes and license, which will put it close to the mid 60s.
+2
Hans Delbruck is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2007, 12:25 AM   #9
swamp2
Major General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 9,939
iTrader: (1)

Motor Trend

Don't let any of the magazine folks, who actually regularly speak with BMW NA folks, fool all of us so much more "in the know". The recent mags have all been predicting in the 60s.

MT recently estimated $65k base.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2007, 01:11 AM   #10
chitown08
Second Lieutenant
 
chitown08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 277
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to chitown08
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Well, I believe your two cents are right on other than I am with Gregg in thinking the tide is turning against the M3 with reasonable pricing and BMW will probably try to use some fancy smancy marketing ploy by pricing it like 59,999, so we will be able to to tell everyone we got her for under 60k. Just so happens to be, we will fail to mention gas guzzler tax, destination charges, fees this and fees that, and more taxes and license, which will put it close to the mid 60s. And without checking a single option. But hey, we did get her for under 60 k now didn't we. Reminds me of those who return from Vegas and always say they come out ahead on the poker tables. Then I wonder, who really is financing all the mega resorts in the barren desert.
haha, classic ruff response...

I voted $59k, anything with a 6 is a psychological dagger.
chitown08 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2007, 01:13 AM   #11
Davo2003
Captain
 
Davo2003's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 652
iTrader: (0)

I'm with masmole...if stuff like premium audio and CA are only in packages this proves his point and what I was thinking. I have been leaning hard towards buying a stripper and just making it a weekend car basically...but when I remember how much I love CA and premium audio, I start thinking DAMMIT I WANT...and BMW knows this. I bet they have a freakin chart that shows what percentage of us will order a specific package just to get one or two of the options inside the package, knowing full well many package items for many of us are just unnecessary...my 2 cents.
__________________
Crying is for babies, little girls, men who have just had their ears ripped off, and men who have toasted MDCT's due to service errors.
Davo2003 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2007, 01:50 AM   #12
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!
 
FifthStreetz's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast e30 / Slow M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

Posts: 15,477
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
Send a message via AIM to FifthStreetz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo2003 View Post
I'm with masmole...if stuff like premium audio and CA are only in packages this proves his point and what I was thinking. I have been leaning hard towards buying a stripper and just making it a weekend car basically...but when I remember how much I love CA and premium audio, I start thinking DAMMIT I WANT...and BMW knows this. I bet they have a freakin chart that shows what percentage of us will order a specific package just to get one or two of the options inside the package, knowing full well many package items for many of us are just unnecessary...my 2 cents.
of course, this is why they are asking our sales guys to call us and ask us what packages and options we want.
__________________
FifthStreetz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2007, 03:06 AM   #13
Keto
Major
 
Keto's Avatar
 
Drives: 550i M-sport AW
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: N'awlins

Posts: 1,389
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Just so happens to be, we will fail to mention gas guzzler tax, destination charges, fees this and fees that, and more taxes and license, which will put it close to the mid 60s. And without checking a single option.
Yes, because every car commercial I see quotes prices that are AFTER tax, title, license and guzzler. Oh, and "nicely equipped," not base.


/sarcasm.
Keto is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2007, 05:17 AM   #14
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
 
Phoenix 21st's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 M-dct SG
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London

Posts: 325
iTrader: (0)

got a funny feeling that it will be $67k. No science, just my 2 cents.
Phoenix 21st is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2007, 07:12 AM   #15
j|rz44
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 335i|E92
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lost

Posts: 1,685
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
07 335i  [0.00]
ah. i voted for a loaded one...
base i think will be about 60k.
__________________
Life is Good
j|rz44 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2007, 07:14 AM   #16
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,779
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
IMO:

Sedan = $55,000
Coupe = $57,000
Cabrio = $67,000 (leather standard)

Options will add some $12-$13,000 to those base prices (the Technology package alone could be ~$6000 just because the Enhanced Audio at some $1800 is required, M-DCT could be some $2600-$3000), plus a gas guzzler tax of some $2-$3000.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2007, 07:50 AM   #17
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Swamp, what happens if it comes between 59 and 60?
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #18
Epacy
Reincarnated
 
Epacy's Avatar
 
Drives: 02 Maxima SE
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IL

Posts: 4,227
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
OK we are getting fairly close to a US price announcement.
We are?
__________________
Epacy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2007, 11:34 AM   #19
Tobizach
Female Car Enthusiast
 
Tobizach's Avatar
 
Drives: By the seat of her pants.
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SouthWest

Posts: 353
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
We are?
+1 are we?

Anywho Im updating my speculation to low 60's.
Tobizach is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2007, 11:38 AM   #20
Sedan_Clan
Yep, he's Dondelirious!
 
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 10,925
iTrader: (24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
IMO:

Sedan = $55,000
Coupe = $57,000
Cabrio = $67,000 (leather standard)
I'm with you on this one.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2007, 11:43 AM   #21
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: IB/PS M-DCT E93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,466
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
We are?
Was thinking the same thing.

I do appreciate swamp's optimism however.
__________________
2008 Interlagos Blue E93 M3 - M-DCT
2011 Salsa Red Jetta TDI Sportwagen - DSG
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2007, 07:59 PM   #22
swamp2
Major General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 9,939
iTrader: (1)

Stealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobizach View Post
+1 are we?
JMHO. With dealers taking/placing orders we have to be getting somewhat close, no?
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST