BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

01-02-2014, 10:06 AM   #23
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Only time i use split screen is when im using the nav as itll give you arrows and other info.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #24
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedaddictM3 View Post
regarding the double door pull, you can override that in the iDrive menu by canceling the auto-lock feature at speed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AG View Post
Change the "Auto-Lock" settings in iDrive do the trick...
You bet! But that is a good feature IMO (Just watch a few episodes of Cops and youll want auto lock enabled too... lol!). It is easy enough to get it coded in whenever you get some other coding done to get the single pull handle. I guess this would work in the interim...
      01-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #25
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
Are you kidding ? I absolutely need that hot cold switch under the vent, without it my AC is not cold enough!
Yeah I don't care for it when I have auto climate control. Temp should be what temp I set the dial to.

When have you gone without it? My car always has the switch.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #26
rocket_science
424 ASP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet
-Not enough programmable buttons. Should be at least 10 or 12+.
I already reserve two for idrive oil and onboard computer. That leaves only 5 for radio.
The "FM/AM" and "MODE" buttons can be recoded to be a 7th and 8th programmable. Not the 10 to 12 you were looking for but still worth noting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedaddictM3
-No way to switch off the mirror auto-dimming function. I find that it dims too much to the point that the mirrors can be useless while driving on dark highways.
From entirely OFF to more sensitive, this is completely adjustable through coding. I can change this value to operate with whatever behavior is desired.

Quote:
-No intermittent wiper function. You are stuck with the rain sensing wiper functionality. that's ok if it worked properly, but it doesn't. For some reason, very tiny droplets of rain are not detected by the sensor and can accumulate and almost blind your vision before the wipers are activated. It's not too bad with larger drops of water, but always happens to me in very light rain.
Again, the sensitivity can be coded. Easy fix.

Quote:
-Speaking of which, the only way to know if the rain sensing wipers are activated is by the illumination of a very tiny LED on the wiper stalk. That LED is perfectly positioned to be totally blocked off by the steering wheel from my seat angle, which means I have to move my head and take my eyes off the road to see if the damn LED is on.
This one irritates the S*** out of me. There is no way (or I haven't found a way) to set this to auto-on at startup.

Quote:
- BMW's touch-based comfort access door lock/unlock is garbage and doesn't work half the time. My previous car was a Nissan and the comfort access was a button that you push to lock/unlock the door. worked like a charm every time. I never had to reach for the key fob like I sometimes do with the M3.
60% of the time it works every time In all honesty, my '11 works perfectly.

Last edited by rocket_science; 01-02-2014 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #27
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
Yeah I don't care for it when I have auto climate control. Temp should be what temp I set the dial to.

When have you gone without it? My car always has the switch.
Maybe I misunderstood your first post. I mean the little manual wheel with red and blue squares above the AC controls on the center console. I do not quite understand why it exists, but I know for sure that I cannot leave it alone. If I want cold AC I have to turn that wheel to blue in addition to setting the auto AC temperature low. If i don't roll the wheel manually it won't get cold enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #28
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_science View Post
The "FM/AM" and "MODE" buttons can be recoded to be a 7th and 8th programmable. Not the 10 to 12 you were looking for but still worth noting.
That's awesome I didn't know. This thread has some good info. So those additional ones work like normal programmable buttons by holding down continuously to memorize ?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #29
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
Maybe I misunderstood your first post. I mean the little manual wheel with red and blue squares above the AC controls on the center console. I do not quite understand why it exists, but I know for sure that I cannot leave it alone. If I want cold AC I have to turn that wheel to blue in addition to setting the auto AC temperature low. If i don't roll the wheel manually it won't get cold enough.
Yeah yeah I know what you mean.

I just wish it didn't have the wheel at all, and just made it hot/cold based on what we plugged in the dash.

To make a temp change in these cars you have to turn two knobs to set the temp, and then move the wheel red or blue to match. Three adjustments, my last car only needed one.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #30
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AG View Post
To get the nav on left and info on right.
-Push the "Nav" button.
-Push the "Option" -> Select "Split screen".
-Use the iDrive knob and select the right screen.
-click "Split screen content" and select one of the available screens.
Thanks again for the details. It works. But there is a catch. When I want to reset the instantaneous fuel consumption (mileage), it cannot be done when the screen is split. You have to get into the settings menu to do the reset which brings back the onboard info on the main screen panel, and then split the screen yet again. This defeat at least partially the convenience of split screen.
I find the interface ergonomy for the idrive to be lacking in possibilities and in speed. It is not a technological limitation, microprocessors have been fast even before the E92 idrive platform, it just seem that whatever team designed the Idrive concept only considered the strict minimum features and a very rigid and slow interface.

Last edited by V8FunNaturally; 01-02-2014 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #31
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
Yeah yeah I know what you mean.

I just wish it didn't have the wheel at all, and just made it hot/cold based on what we plugged in the dash.

To make a temp change in these cars you have to turn two knobs to set the temp, and then move the wheel red or blue to match. Three adjustments, my last car only needed one.
Ok, I got you now and agree. In fact, I had been thinking something was wrong with my AC until I discovered turning that hot/cold little wheel is not optional.
I am curious to know what is the idea behind keeping a manual hot/cold wheel if there is already a temperature knob ? is it for people who feel nostalgic about manual AC controls ? WTF.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #32
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

I hate that when I delete a preset station the numbers don't reset themselves. So, for example, if I delete setting 5 then the presets just go from 4 to 6 without a 5.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #33
rocket_science
424 ASP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
That's awesome I didn't know. This thread has some good info. So those additional ones work like normal programmable buttons by holding down continuously to memorize ?
Yes, they will work like 1-6 but only after they have been recoded to function this way.
Appreciate 0