BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #23
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,028
iTrader: (0)

How are the Turner solid alu subframe bushes pressed into the subframe?

Also, what is preventing the subframe from slipping upwards i.e. the alu bushes do not appear to have upper rims/collars that prevent the subframe from slipping upwards.

Thanks.
mlhj83 is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #24
JEllis
Brigadier General
 
JEllis's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

Posts: 4,586
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
How are the Turner solid alu subframe bushes pressed into the subframe?

Also, what is preventing the subframe from slipping upwards i.e. the alu bushes do not appear to have upper rims/collars that prevent the subframe from slipping upwards.

Thanks.
MRF has a clever system for installing the bushings. The bushings are pressed into the subframe with far more pressure than what the weight of the car is capable of exerting. In essence, it's impossible for the bushings to slip inside their housings.
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
JEllis is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #25
Bx Tpr
Lieutenant
 
Bx Tpr's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 M
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Boogie Down

Posts: 414
iTrader: (4)

Any close up pictures of the mounting points after the subframe is installed with the solid bushings?
Bx Tpr is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #26
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,779
iTrader: (0)

MRF do you have any that are suitable for the z4m??
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #27
JEllis
Brigadier General
 
JEllis's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

Posts: 4,586
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx Tpr View Post
Any close up pictures of the mounting points after the subframe is installed with the solid bushings?
Sorry no but not much to see once in the car.
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
JEllis is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #28
Bx Tpr
Lieutenant
 
Bx Tpr's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 M
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Boogie Down

Posts: 414
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Sorry no but not much to see once in the car.
Thanks. I was wondering what exactly contacts the chassis of the car with the new bushings? Bushings only/bushing and part of subframe? Looking at the pictures it looks like the top part of the bushing is flush with the top part of the mounting hole in the subframe.
Bx Tpr is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #29
Exclusivs
Major
 
Exclusivs's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: AZ

Posts: 1,054
iTrader: (16)

Great Upgrade
Exclusivs is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #30
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,224
iTrader: (0)

I second the subframe bushings. Replaced over a year ago, multiple cross country trips, great solid feel, and as stated earlier, ZERO increase in NVH.
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
klammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #31
JEllis
Brigadier General
 
JEllis's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

Posts: 4,586
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx Tpr View Post
Thanks. I was wondering what exactly contacts the chassis of the car with the new bushings? Bushings only/bushing and part of subframe? Looking at the pictures it looks like the top part of the bushing is flush with the top part of the mounting hole in the subframe.
There is a small gap between the subframe and unibody just like OEM.
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
JEllis is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #32
Superfly_M3
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 964
iTrader: (0)

zero NVH? how can that be? there is no isolation like the factory ones.

This sounds a great mod, but I am skeptical that there is zero NVH. Thanks for posting though.
Superfly_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #33
JEllis
Brigadier General
 
JEllis's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

Posts: 4,586
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
zero NVH? how can that be? there is no isolation like the factory ones.

This sounds a great mod, but I am skeptical that there is zero NVH. Thanks for posting though.
No NVH from the subframe bushings. The solid diff bushings do have a little NVH.

If anyone is thinking about a new M car, you are getting solid subframes.
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
JEllis is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #34
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
 
TXmtrhed's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Katy, TX

Posts: 314
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
How are the Turner solid alu subframe bushes pressed into the subframe?

Also, what is preventing the subframe from slipping upwards i.e. the alu bushes do not appear to have upper rims/collars that prevent the subframe from slipping upwards.

Thanks.
The weight of the car is held up by the springs. Essentially, compressing the springs attempts to pull the subframe away from the car. That's the reason to minimize the deflection so that the shocks and springs can be tuned to control the movement of the wheel alone. Replacing the lower control arm bushings with bearings (e.g. from BW) would help also.
__________________
TXmtrhed is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #35
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,028
iTrader: (0)

Yes, I understand the pivot effect of the rear springs in pulling the subframe downwards, but that isn't an effective way to hold the subframe in place especially when the suspension is quickly loaded and unloaded, like when going over a sharp crest or a dip in the road at speed.
mlhj83 is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #36
W///
Brigadier General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 4,472
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
I second the subframe bushings. Replaced over a year ago, multiple cross country trips, great solid feel, and as stated earlier, ZERO increase in NVH.
Did you change your diff bushings as well?
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Eisenmann | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #37
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

Posts: 3,334
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
zero NVH? how can that be? there is no isolation like the factory ones.

This sounds a great mod, but I am skeptical that there is zero NVH. Thanks for posting though.
No need to be skeptical, however I do understand where it stems from. For years it has been preached that Solid S/F bushings will increase NVH, but this has also come greatly from hearsay and was never true. Intuitively we would also think that NVH will increase since rubber is being removed and replaced with forged Aluminum, however that is not true. The front S/F is also solid mounted to the chassis and this unit deals with engine vibration as well as well as suspension loads.

Yes, changing the differential bushings to solid will increase some noise, but not "vibration" or "harshness". There is no reason for vibration to increase as the differential that has been unitized is not vibrating, unless something is out of balancing with the half shafts or propeller shaft itself creating harmonic vibration.
__________________

BMW PERFORMANCE SPECIALISTS. Suspension. Forced Induction. Brakes. Race Preparation. Service. Alignments.
OFFICIAL PARTNERS: Íhlins. KW Suspension. Brembo. AP Racing. ESS Tuning. iND Distribution. Turner Motorsport.
Facebook | Instagram | Yelp! | Flikr | Contact | YouTube
Malek@MRF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #38
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,779
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek@MRF View Post
No need to be skeptical, however I do understand where it stems from. For years it has been preached that Solid S/F bushings will increase NVH, but this has also come greatly from hearsay and was never true. Intuitively we would also think that NVH will increase since rubber is being removed and replaced with forged Aluminum, however that is not true. The front S/F is also solid mounted to the chassis and this unit deals with engine vibration as well as well as suspension loads.

Yes, changing the differential bushings to solid will increase some noise, but not "vibration" or "harshness". There is no reason for vibration to increase as the differential that has been unitized is not vibrating, unless something is out of balancing with the half shafts or propeller shaft itself creating harmonic vibration.
am i invisible or something???

do you do these for the e46 m3 / z4m platform.
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #39
Pertplus
Banned
 
Drives: 2013 M3 & M5
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Diego, California

Posts: 2,140
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek@MRF View Post
No need to be skeptical, however I do understand where it stems from. For years it has been preached that Solid S/F bushings will increase NVH, but this has also come greatly from hearsay and was never true. Intuitively we would also think that NVH will increase since rubber is being removed and replaced with forged Aluminum, however that is not true. The front S/F is also solid mounted to the chassis and this unit deals with engine vibration as well as well as suspension loads.

Yes, changing the differential bushings to solid will increase some noise, but not "vibration" or "harshness". There is no reason for vibration to increase as the differential that has been unitized is not vibrating, unless something is out of balancing with the half shafts or propeller shaft itself creating harmonic vibration.
am i invisible or something???

do you do these for the e46 m3 / z4m platform.
Dude just PM him....and yes, you're invisible.
Pertplus is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #40
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

Posts: 3,334
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
am i invisible or something???

do you do these for the e46 m3 / z4m platform.
I am sorry. These bushings are for E9x platform cars only (M and non M vehicles).

I will be releasing E46 M3 S/F mounts in a similar fashion as the E9x units as well as I have been seeing demand for solid units over the urethane parts.
__________________

BMW PERFORMANCE SPECIALISTS. Suspension. Forced Induction. Brakes. Race Preparation. Service. Alignments.
OFFICIAL PARTNERS: Íhlins. KW Suspension. Brembo. AP Racing. ESS Tuning. iND Distribution. Turner Motorsport.
Facebook | Instagram | Yelp! | Flikr | Contact | YouTube
Malek@MRF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #41
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,779
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertplus View Post
Dude just PM him....and yes, you're invisible.
prick
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #42
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,779
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek@MRF View Post
I am sorry. These bushings are for E9x platform cars only (M and non M vehicles).

I will be releasing E46 M3 S/F mounts in a similar fashion as the E9x units as well as I have been seeing demand for solid units over the urethane parts.
thankyou
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #43
JEllis
Brigadier General
 
JEllis's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

Posts: 4,586
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Yes, I understand the pivot effect of the rear springs in pulling the subframe downwards, but that isn't an effective way to hold the subframe in place especially when the suspension is quickly loaded and unloaded, like when going over a sharp crest or a dip in the road at speed.
The bushes are pressed into the subframe in a basically identical fashion to OEM. I am not sure how much pressure is required to move the bushes but it is far more than what the weight of the car can apply.

Keep in mind the aluminum bushes hold the subframe the same as the stock rubber bushes. The difference is that the aluminum bushes will not wear over time and allow the subframe movement you are concerned about.
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
JEllis is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #44
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,028
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Yes, I understand the pivot effect of the rear springs in pulling the subframe downwards, but that isn't an effective way to hold the subframe in place especially when the suspension is quickly loaded and unloaded, like when going over a sharp crest or a dip in the road at speed.
The bushes are pressed into the subframe in a basically identical fashion to OEM. I am not sure how much pressure is required to move the bushes but it is far more than what the weight of the car can apply.

Keep in mind the aluminum bushes hold the subframe the same as the stock rubber bushes. The difference is that the aluminum bushes will not wear over time and allow the subframe movement you are concerned about.
Thanks, I understood your first reply - was just replying to another poster.
mlhj83 is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST