BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
grantmax
Major
19
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: LA

iTrader: (1)

Exclamation Pic Request: OEM exhaust ... painted black

As the title states, I am looking for some "better" pictures of various OEM exhausts that have been painted black. The pictures I have seen (read: found via the search function) are sporadic at best.

Reason: I bought a modified OEM exhaust and would only like to install it once. This thread is aimed at helping me determine if the canister should be painted black or left silverish.

Close-ups appreciated. And please, no d*ck p*cs.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
Edward
Colonel
United_States
38
Rep
2,350
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Is anyone local to Grantmax? He'd like to see a pic of this painted exhaust can. If you deliver, he delivers a sandwich of your choice to your workplace on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
grantmax
Major
19
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: LA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Is anyone local to Grantmax? He'd like to see a pic of this painted exhaust can. If you deliver, he delivers a sandwich of your choice to your workplace on Monday.
That's right folks. A sando on me. Help me help you.

Edward's offer applies even if you're not local. I'll call in a lunch delivery from your local deli of choice.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Space Ghost
Captain
Space Ghost's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
625
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA-PA

iTrader: (5)

pic

I think painting it makes it disappear nicely.
Attached Images
 
__________________

2008 E92 M3, ESS VT-1, AA Full Exhaust, Volk TE-37, PSS10, ST BBK, ARKYM Motorsport Spliter, Vorsteiner Diffuser, BMW Edition Grill/Gill's, BMW Performance Spoiler, AUTOcoture Blacked Out Headlights, LCI Tail lights, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Center Dash Insert, Ultimate Racing Pedals (Because Race Car), AA SSK, Speed Cloth.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
roastbeef
Captain
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
872
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Yes, paint it black. You can't lose.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
grantmax
Major
19
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: LA

iTrader: (1)

Space Ghost ftw.

Can I get a close-up of the can through the mesh?

My concern isn't achieving the "black out" effect. Not having a faded piece of blackish metal at the rear would keep Edward up at night. I can't do that to him.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
66
Rep
3,926
Posts

 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Hope this are not d*ck p*cs ...
Note... this is not my exhaust ,and hope this will help
Attached Images
  
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
grantmax
Major
19
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: LA

iTrader: (1)

Hey! That's some good picturing. And on space gray no less. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess those are the OEM Edition tips too. Those are being installed for sure.

Does anyone have pics of the blackened can through the bumper mesh?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
66
Rep
3,926
Posts

 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmax View Post
Hey! That's some good picturing. And on space gray no less. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess those are the OEM Edition tips too. Those are being installed for sure.

Does anyone have pics of the blackened can through the bumper mesh?
What kind of Oem.exhaust mod. do you have ?
BTW..i polished my muffler(can) and love now the stainless steel look of it
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
grantmax
Major
19
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: LA

iTrader: (1)

I haz perforated.

Polished is an interesting idea. Kind of the opposite of where I was at though. Pics!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
66
Rep
3,926
Posts

 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmax View Post
I haz perforated.

Polished is an interesting idea. Kind of the opposite of where I was at though. Pics!
Good from you,the perforated method is the best,you will love the sound and is the same that i have too
Pics ?.. i don't have when i polished it,but i have this >http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733817
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #12
henrylee
Registered
United_States
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: f30
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Sick
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #13
grantmax
Major
19
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: LA

iTrader: (1)

This thread needs more pics.

Specifically, close ups through the mesh. Catch my Tokyo drift?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
tommy94gt
Captain
tommy94gt's Avatar
6
Rep
621
Posts

 
Drives: E92 AW M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NYC

iTrader: (26)

One thing I hated about my car was always the way the factory muffler looked hanging in the back of the car. With an aftermarket x-pipe it actually sounds great so I at first I wanted to keep the stock muffler. I installed CYBA titanium tips and painted the canister black. CYBA tips turned out to be a bust - and I quickly reinstalled my old tips -, but blacking out the muffler does a GREAT job at hiding the eyesore.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #15
foam
Private First Class
foam's Avatar
1
Rep
177
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 AW
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: WA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy94gt View Post
One thing I hated about my car was always the way the factory muffler looked hanging in the back of the car. With an aftermarket x-pipe it actually sounds great so I at first I wanted to keep the stock muffler. I installed CYBA titanium tips and painted the canister black. CYBA tips turned out to be a bust - and I quickly reinstalled my old tips -, but blacking out the muffler does a GREAT job at hiding the eyesore.
Why did you say the Cyba tips were a bust?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #16
tommy94gt
Captain
tommy94gt's Avatar
6
Rep
621
Posts

 
Drives: E92 AW M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NYC

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foam View Post
Why did you say the Cyba tips were a bust?
Just wasnt for me. On a white car dark tips were invisible from the back and looked cheap from the side.
But than again I went through like 10 exhausts since so dont pay no mind to me - I'm never 100% happy with anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #17
Shoney41
Second Lieutenant
Shoney41's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
229
Posts

 
Drives: '13 E92 M3 6MT Jet Black
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Here are two pics of my exhaust. I have the ACM modified exhaust, painted matte black. The first pic is a close-up of just the tips to give you an idea of what the matte black looks like. The second picture is of the whole exhaust. Sorry the car is so dirty -- I took advantage of the high temperatures here in the Northeast yesterday and got her dirty in the process. Hope this helps!
Attached Images
  
__________________
2013 E92 M3; 6MT; Jet Black; Fully Loaded; ACM Exhaust Mod
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #18
8_is_enough
Captain
8_is_enough's Avatar
7
Rep
617
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E92M, '12 GTI
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: san francisco, ca

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy94gt View Post
Just wasnt for me. On a white car dark tips were invisible from the back and looked cheap from the side.
But than again I went through like 10 exhausts since so dont pay no mind to me - I'm never 100% happy with anything.
I agree, Cyba tips vanish from the back and look tinny.
__________________
2011 E92 M3
2012 GTI
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 02:35 AM   #19
Edward
Colonel
United_States
38
Rep
2,350
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Nothing worse than super thin walled tips. So cheap and poor looking. On the contrary I would like to see someone's polished oem can. I feel as if it could look cool if you like to draw attention to that kinda thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #20
grantmax
Major
19
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: LA

iTrader: (1)

Thanks for the pics Shoney41.

Not feeling the matte tips but the can is cool. The GF just pointed at the rear diffuser and said "What's that ugly metal thing?"

Yea ... the paint is happening. I'm gonna go with a semi-gloss black and spray it with a clearcoat afterwards so it doesn't end up looking dull on me.

Anyone with pics of a semi-gloss unit?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #21
Edward
Colonel
United_States
38
Rep
2,350
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmax View Post
Thanks for the pics Shoney41.

Not feeling the matte tips but the can is cool. The GF just pointed at the rear diffuser and said "What's that ugly metal thing?"

Yea ... the paint is happening. I'm gonna go with a semi-gloss black and spray it with a clearcoat afterwards so it doesn't end up looking dull on me.

Anyone with pics of a semi-gloss unit?
Do her a solid and paint the can bright red just like the undersides of her heels.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 02:51 AM   #22
grantmax
Major
19
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: LA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Do her a solid and paint the can bright red just like the undersides of her heels.
And a new trend is born. Christian M3boutin.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST