BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

12-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #23
ZEEM3R
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Lax
I have the unpowered one. Scrapes a little and can get hung up in deep snow. No problem with the police with it.
How many miles have you had it on? I also have the manual one and just don't want it to break off. Maybe I'll wait off on installing it then cause its been snowing a lot. Thanks!
2013 M3 / CF Kidney Grills / CF Side Reflectors / LUX V4 LEDs / Alpine Feature Coding / CF Rear Spoiler / Satin Black OEM ZCP Rims / Competition Package / CF Roof Vinyl / M Courtesy Light / Active Autowerke Drop In Filter / CF Black Emblems / CF Vent Covers / M Kidney Stripes / BPM Stage 2 Dev Tune / Fabspeed X Pipe / Macht Schnell Test Pipes / Alpine DCT GTS Tune
ZEEM3R is offline   United_States
      12-25-2013, 03:26 AM   #24
PandaM3
First Lieutenant

Drives:

If my M3 didn't already have its bumper drilled, I'd get a hideaway/ show and go plate. I'd probably cut the top half of the lower grill to mount it. Cutting the grill would not be noticeable, the grill is easily replaceable, when in the up position it looks factory. I would not mount underneath the bumper as it will be knocked off easily.

I was however able to install a manual one onto my wife's VW CC. I cut the upper grill just wide enough to allow the plate to go up and down.

Up:

Down:

Video of a motorized one

The show n go/ hideaway plate works great.

My wife told me the other day that she got pulled over the other day for no front plate after work. So being as naive as she is, she tells the cop, " oh wait, my husband forgot to put the plate up... Let me show you." So she gets out of the car, pulls the plate out. She said at first tue cop looked pissed, then he said, " that's really cool, I like that, but make sure you Husband keeps the plate in the displayed position." And let her go with a warning.

Don't try this, however especially with a motorized one as you will piss off the cop and get a ticket... My wife is just lucky like that
      12-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #25
ZEEM3R
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3
If my M3 didn't already have its bumper drilled, I'd get a hideaway/ show and go plate. I'd probably cut the top half of the lower grill to mount it. Cutting the grill would not be noticeable, the grill is easily replaceable, when in the up position it looks factory. I would not mount underneath the bumper as it will be knocked off easily.

I was however able to install a manual one onto my wife's VW CC. I cut the upper grill just wide enough to allow the plate to go up and down.

Up:

Down:

Video of a motorized one

The show n go/ hideaway plate works great.

My wife told me the other day that she got pulled over the other day for no front plate after work. So being as naive as she is, she tells the cop, " oh wait, my husband forgot to put the plate up... Let me show you." So she gets out of the car, pulls the plate out. She said at first tue cop looked pissed, then he said, " that's really cool, I like that, but make sure you Husband keeps the plate in the displayed position." And let her go with a warning.

Don't try this, however especially with a motorized one as you will piss off the cop and get a ticket... My wife is just lucky like that
I actually found a body shop that'll install it like that! I think it's much more safe this way so there's less chances of it getting damaged.
2013 M3 / CF Kidney Grills / CF Side Reflectors / LUX V4 LEDs / Alpine Feature Coding / CF Rear Spoiler / Satin Black OEM ZCP Rims / Competition Package / CF Roof Vinyl / M Courtesy Light / Active Autowerke Drop In Filter / CF Black Emblems / CF Vent Covers / M Kidney Stripes / BPM Stage 2 Dev Tune / Fabspeed X Pipe / Macht Schnell Test Pipes / Alpine DCT GTS Tune
      12-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #26
mosborn78108
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3

Go to http://www.moweraxle.com/licenseplatebrackets.html

They have brackets that are legal and mount to the tow hook hole in the bumper. I've used it on the Porsches I've owned and will use when I get back to the states for my M3.

Mike
------------------
2013 Frozen Blue M3, Akropovic Exhaust
2011 Mini Clubman S
mosborn78108 is offline   Germany
      12-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #27
ZEEM3R
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosborn78108
Go to http://www.moweraxle.com/licenseplatebrackets.html

They have brackets that are legal and mount to the tow hook hole in the bumper. I've used it on the Porsches I've owned and will use when I get back to the states for my M3.
I'd do that but my problem is that my bumpers already been drilled into so I have to fix it first =/