BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
2 SLOW
0
Private
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Door ding and chip - Advice needed (UPDATED)

Just happened yesterday. They got me right on the ridge of the passenger door. It is a bad dent and chip. What do you suggest is the best method to get this repaired? Just take it straight to the body shop?

It is hard to tell in the images. But the dent is on the ridge, then there is a small crease that extend and inch above and below the chip.












**Update after a PDR guy removed the dent and I did two layers of Dr Color Chip**

The color is a little off (which they warn about on light cars) and I'll probably do one more layer.








1/7/14 - I did another layer. Here are the pics. I'll probably do more layer than be done. Then I will wait a few weeks and so some light polishing and see if that helps with the color a little bit. Color is still off, but you can't tell from a few feet away as you can see in the third pic (which was my goal for now).

Straight on:



From the top looking down:



From a few feet away:

Last edited by 2 SLOW; 01-07-2014 at 04:19 PM.
2 SLOW is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Oo vvR3cKz oO 619
1
GEARS OF WAR 3
 
Oo vvR3cKz oO 619's Avatar
 
Drives: N54 E93
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: WEST COAST

Posts: 187
iTrader: (3)

put a fathead junior and move on with your life

__________________


Oo vvR3cKz oO 619 is offline   No_Country
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
2 SLOW
0
Private
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashman View Post
That looks pretty nasty, down to the primer. You can try PDR and touch up paint, but honestly I think a respray is the only way. You want to make sure to deal with that ASAP to prevent potential rust.
Thought about PDR but since it is on the ridge of the door, I don't think that is an option
2 SLOW is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
///M Power-Belgium
38
Brigadier General
 
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

Posts: 3,801
iTrader: (0)

Body shop and repaint because this can crumble and rust !
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
///M Power-Belgium is offline   Belgium
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
williyam
1
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 M3 AW
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 120
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
Just happened yesterday. They got me right on the ridge of the passenger door. It is a bad dent and chip. What do you suggest is the best method to get this repaired? Just take it straight to the body shop?

It is hard to tell in the images. But the dent is on the ridge, then there is a small crease that extend and inch above and below the chip.


[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/gitBeAB.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/mKmC1wC.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/JQ8lBXz.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/0de0rzU.png[/IMG]
It looks bad because of the paint transfer. Short of a respray and PDR, try rubbing Meguiars 105 compound on it with a microfiber towel. It will be hard to notice once the transfer is off. Then put touch up paint lightly on the areas that your paint chipped.
williyam is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
2 SLOW
0
Private
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by williyam View Post
It looks bad because of the paint transfer. Short of a respray and PDR, try rubbing Meguiars 105 compound on it with a microfiber towel. It will be hard to notice once the transfer is off.
There is no paint transfer....

It is that deep of a chip.
2 SLOW is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
2 SLOW
0
Private
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Body shop and repaint because this can crumble and rust !

This is what I'm starting to think. Probably $500 or so?
2 SLOW is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
tjsabec
4
Lieutenant
 
tjsabec's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Uniontown, PA

Posts: 489
iTrader: (2)

Depending on your deductible, i'd probably turn this in to insurance. Mine is $500 and i'd probably get the door resprayed.
tjsabec is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
williyam
1
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 M3 AW
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 120
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
Quote:
Originally Posted by williyam View Post
It looks bad because of the paint transfer. Short of a respray and PDR, try rubbing Meguiars 105 compound on it with a microfiber towel. It will be hard to notice once the transfer is off.
There is no paint transfer....

It is that deep of a chip.
Wow that's insane, you must have parked next to a jackass
williyam is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
///M Power-Belgium
38
Brigadier General
 
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

Posts: 3,801
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SLOW View Post
This is what I'm starting to think. Probably $500 or so?
In the US...yes probably $500...here in Belgium it's probably $500 x2
Best thing is... go to BMW body shop because this is a ///M3, thinking on the color match
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
///M Power-Belgium is offline   Belgium
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
2 SLOW
0
Private
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
In the US...yes probably $500...here in Belgium it's probably $500 x2
Best thing is... go to BMW body shop because this is a ///M3, thinking on the color match
Yes, I already texted my buddy at the dealer. Gonna set something up this weekend.
2 SLOW is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #12
///M Power-Belgium
38
Brigadier General
 
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

Posts: 3,801
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SLOW View Post
Yes, I already texted my buddy at the dealer. Gonna set something up this weekend.
Spot on my friend !
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
///M Power-Belgium is offline   Belgium
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2013, 02:30 AM   #13
YolkyPalky
3
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT ZCP SPACE GRAY
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 257
iTrader: (0)

I'd start with just a BMW official touch-up paint kit and carefully apply several layers, you might be surprised at how acceptable it will be, you will always be able to see it, but at 6 feet away I promise you it wont be noticeable to anyone else but you.

Respraying the door is a terrible idea, first of all because it will always be a losing battle, you WILL get another ding at some point. Secondly, that's a lot of money to spend for one small ding. Try touch-up kit first and see how it works as a first step anyway.
YolkyPalky is online now  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2013, 04:20 AM   #14
PandaM3
3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives:
Join Date: Apr 2008

Posts: 365
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky
I'd start with just a BMW official touch-up paint kit and carefully apply several layers, you might be surprised at how acceptable it will be, you will always be able to see it, but at 6 feet away I promise you it wont be noticeable to anyone else but you.

Respraying the door is a terrible idea, first of all because it will always be a losing battle, you WILL get another ding at some point. Secondly, that's a lot of money to spend for one small ding. Try touch-up kit first and see how it works as a first step anyway.
+1

I have a similar chip/ ding on the passenger crease as well.

Pdr'd and touch up paint using the dr Colorchip system to minimize everything.

Didn't get it out completely but it is minimized. Now I hardly notice it

If you respray the door by itself... The color will always be off by at least a tiny tiny shade when matched. Since it's the door the mismatch will be more noticeable.

If you do it the proper way which is respray plus color blend the fender, door, and lower side skirt... Then you risk overspray, clear coat imperfections, and paint drip... Also the proper way is gonna be $$$
PandaM3 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #15
2 SLOW
0
Private
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
+1

I have a similar chip/ ding on the passenger crease as well.

Pdr'd and touch up paint using the dr Colorchip system to minimize everything.

Didn't get it out completely but it is minimized. Now I hardly notice it

If you respray the door by itself... The color will always be off by at least a tiny tiny shade when matched. Since it's the door the mismatch will be more noticeable.

If you do it the proper way which is respray plus color blend the fender, door, and lower side skirt... Then you risk overspray, clear coat imperfections, and paint drip... Also the proper way is gonna be $$$

They were able to PDR the ridge? My dealer said their guy usually can't do the ridge. Do you have pics of how it turned out?
2 SLOW is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #16
2 SLOW
0
Private
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
I'd start with just a BMW official touch-up paint kit and carefully apply several layers, you might be surprised at how acceptable it will be, you will always be able to see it, but at 6 feet away I promise you it wont be noticeable to anyone else but you.

Respraying the door is a terrible idea, first of all because it will always be a losing battle, you WILL get another ding at some point. Secondly, that's a lot of money to spend for one small ding. Try touch-up kit first and see how it works as a first step anyway.
I'd be ok with this if the dent wasn't there. The fact that it is dented makes it much more of an eyesore.
2 SLOW is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
YolkyPalky
3
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT ZCP SPACE GRAY
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 257
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SLOW View Post
I'd be ok with this if the dent wasn't there. The fact that it is dented makes it much more of an eyesore.
Maybe you could try one of those "ding doctors" or whatever they're called in your local market, they can pull out and smooth lots of door dings.

I had the almost exact same ding on my E90 Space Gray, though it wasn't dented just really bad paint chip loss. I used touch-up kit, now I don't even notice it at all.

Just me personally of course, but I would only get a body shop involved if major body work was to be done, not a simple door ding (ok yours may be worse than a simple door ding).

Previous poster is right, respraying door you might see color difference of entire door against rest of car.

I would try "ding doctor" repair guy, then touch-up kit, u'd be all-in for about $100-$150 tops, then if you really don't like result, you can body shop it for $$$.
YolkyPalky is online now  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #18
2 SLOW
0
Private
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
Maybe you could try one of those "ding doctors" or whatever they're called in your local market, they can pull out and smooth lots of door dings.

I had the almost exact same ding on my E90 Space Gray, though it wasn't dented just really bad paint chip loss. I used touch-up kit, now I don't even notice it at all.

Just me personally of course, but I would only get a body shop involved if major body work was to be done, not a simple door ding (ok yours may be worse than a simple door ding).

Previous poster is right, respraying door you might see color difference of entire door against rest of car.

I would try "ding doctor" repair guy, then touch-up kit, u'd be all-in for about $100-$150 tops, then if you really don't like result, you can body shop it for $$$.
I'd like to see how PandaM3's ding came out first.

Door respray/blend is only $650 through the dealer...
2 SLOW is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #19
YolkyPalky
3
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT ZCP SPACE GRAY
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 257
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SLOW View Post
I'd like to see how PandaM3's ding came out first.

Door respray/blend is only $650 through the dealer...
BMW Official Paint Touch Up Kit is only $30, I'd start there and if not satisfied, drop the $650 I guess, but I suppose it depends on your personal value of money and what else you could do with $650.

Last edited by YolkyPalky; 12-17-2013 at 01:23 PM.
YolkyPalky is online now  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #20
Agent-GHQ
3
First Lieutenant
 
Agent-GHQ's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 369
iTrader: (0)

Not to add salt on the wound or anything but I thought paying near $100 for this metal pellet struck was already bad. If I was in your case, I'd do an OEM touch up paint and save that $600 paint job for something else.
Attached Images
 
Agent-GHQ is online now   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #21
2 SLOW
0
Private
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
Not to add salt on the wound or anything but I thought paying near $100 for this metal pellet struck was already bad. If I was in your case, I'd do an OEM touch up paint and save that $600 paint job for something else.
I'm not too concerned about the price. I'm more concerned about it looking correct.

I contacted a local company "Dent Dogs" and if they feel that they can fix the dent, I'll go that route. I also ordered the Dr Color Chip touch up kit. I just don't know if the dent can be pulled and if the touch up kit I ordered will be able to be "built up" enough to fill.
2 SLOW is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #22
2 SLOW
0
Private
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Had a PDR come yesterday to work on it....Dr Color Chip is coming in Saturday

Last edited by 2 SLOW; 12-19-2013 at 03:02 PM.
2 SLOW is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST