BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

rolloface

12-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
bde
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 JB, 6MT

Door seals hardened after soap-water wash

Hi All:

Just washed the door rubber seals on my e92 on the door in a semi heated garage (+6 to +8 C or so)- microfiber towel with lukewarm water and some dove white bar soap (not dishwashing one). Fairly light application. I wonder if DOVE could be the cause pf this?

I've noticed that the rubber portion from the mirror over the top to the striker plate on the body got a really rough finish-almost grainy texture like and became quite hard (i didn't really have a feel on how it was before the light wash-maybe it was like that).

It's very smooth on the bottom portion of the door frame and I washed that one as well. The rubber on the backside of the door is fine and smooth

This was consistent on both doors. Is there a possibility that the rubber could harden like that on the top portion of the door frame due to the frameless design? Is it safe from cracking?

I'm still awaiting on my gummy pfledge and will apply it in a few days - just wanted to wash the seals before application.

Thanks!

Last edited by bde; 12-11-2013 at 10:42 AM.
      12-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant

Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
You may want to use some 1Z deep plastic cleaner before the gummi, the soap may have embedded it's oils into the rubber. Dove "safe for hands" probably has emollients or other oils for hand softness. I found the 1Z deep plastic cleaner to return the outside rubber trim to like new condition.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is offline   United_States
      01-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
bde
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
You may want to use some 1Z deep plastic cleaner before the gummi, the soap may have embedded it's oils into the rubber. Dove "safe for hands" probably has emollients or other oils for hand softness. I found the 1Z deep plastic cleaner to return the outside rubber trim to like new condition.
Thanks!

Actually I've found that the rubber was that way from the factory. If you check E92's window trim by the door glass- it uses a more rugged hardened surface where the windows come in contact with the trim. I've never paid attention to it but it is that way) E90 uses a uniform rubber as most other cars with door frames

I think that's to make it easier for window to open and close vs becoming "glued" to the smooth rubber

Last edited by bde; 01-11-2014 at 05:09 PM.
      01-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Z K
Colonel

Drives: E90 M3

Why would you wash seals with a bar soap?! That makes no sense at all. Wash it with regular car wash or rubber cleaner/conditioner.

1Z gummi is a cleaner and conditioner so no need to clean beforehand.
      01-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #5
bde
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Why would you wash seals with a bar soap?! That makes no sense at all. Wash it with regular car wash or rubber cleaner/conditioner.

1Z gummi is a cleaner and conditioner so no need to clean beforehand.
That was according to some suggestions in a different thread. Was not a dish soap though. It turns out soap did not damage the rubber trim. E92s have a rougher rubber trim around door window areas to facilitate easier window opening I imagine