BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #45
speedaddictM3
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canada

Posts: 264
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
Yes I can tell a lot of differences between this interior and the one of the M3!
Care to list them? Personally I can't tell any difference other than the gearshift lever and the lack of the M3 buttons for EDC, Traction control, and Power.
Quote:
As for the M3 not being that special, I think you are fooling yourself if you think so, IMO that's like saying a 911 or an Aston Martin are'nt special cars! Seriously, do you see a lot of V8 that revs north of 8000rpms in normal cars!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
I'd be curious to know what makes a Aston Martin or a 911 that much more special then an M3 for you!? Is it the price or the rarety!?
Actually it's a bit of both. For one, the 911 and Aston don't have a nearly identical-looking dirt cheap entry level version that anyone with a pulse can walk into a dealership and lease for 2 years.

Furthermore, there is also the limited production volume that makes them more rare and unique. BMW really ramped up production of the E9x M3 and wanted to make them far more mainstream. They made 66000 of them. So while an E9x M3 isn't as common as a Civic or Camry, seeing an M3 on the road is still not nearly as special an occasion as seeing a DBS or Vantage for example.

Heck, while we're on the subject. I'd say a Boss 302 Mustang is a more rare and unique and special car than an M3.
speedaddictM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #46
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,232
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedaddictM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
Yes I can tell a lot of differences between this interior and the one of the M3!
Care to list them? Personally I can't tell any difference other than the gearshift lever and the lack of the M3 buttons for EDC, Traction control, and Power.
Quote:
As for the M3 not being that special, I think you are fooling yourself if you think so, IMO that's like saying a 911 or an Aston Martin are'nt special cars! Seriously, do you see a lot of V8 that revs north of 8000rpms in normal cars!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
I'd be curious to know what makes a Aston Martin or a 911 that much more special then an M3 for you!? Is it the price or the rarety!?
Actually it's a bit of both. For one, the 911 and Aston don't have a nearly identical-looking dirt cheap entry level version that anyone with a pulse can walk into a dealership and lease for 2 years.

Furthermore, there is also the limited production volume that makes them more rare and unique. BMW really ramped up production of the E9x M3 and wanted to make them far more mainstream. They made 66000 of them. So while an E9x M3 isn't as common as a Civic or Camry, seeing an M3 on the road is still not nearly as special an occasion as seeing a DBS or Vantage for example.

Heck, while we're on the subject. I'd say a Boss 302 Mustang is a more rare and unique and special car than an M3.
I'd agree with rare, not so much special.
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
klammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #47
Alex07M3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gatineau

Posts: 1,869
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 e92 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedaddictM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
Yes I can tell a lot of differences between this interior and the one of the M3!
Care to list them? Personally I can't tell any difference other than the gearshift lever and the lack of the M3 buttons for EDC, Traction control, and Power.
Quote:
As for the M3 not being that special, I think you are fooling yourself if you think so, IMO that's like saying a 911 or an Aston Martin are'nt special cars! Seriously, do you see a lot of V8 that revs north of 8000rpms in normal cars!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
I'd be curious to know what makes a Aston Martin or a 911 that much more special then an M3 for you!? Is it the price or the rarety!?
Actually it's a bit of both. For one, the 911 and Aston don't have a nearly identical-looking dirt cheap entry level version that anyone with a pulse can walk into a dealership and lease for 2 years.

Furthermore, there is also the limited production volume that makes them more rare and unique. BMW really ramped up production of the E9x M3 and wanted to make them far more mainstream. They made 66000 of them. So while an E9x M3 isn't as common as a Civic or Camry, seeing an M3 on the road is still not nearly as special an occasion as seeing a DBS or Vantage for example.

Heck, while we're on the subject. I'd say a Boss 302 Mustang is a more rare and unique and special car than an M3.
You know what, maybe you're right, maybe the M3 ain't a special car, maybe really everyone that breathes can afforf a 3 series that looks almost identical to an M3, I must be disconnected from reality!

Maybe it's only in my part of the world that the M3 feels special because here we're covered with snow 4 months a year so people don't buy $80k rwd cars, that's why I see one in the streets maybe once a month, not everyday like you, that must be also why people are talking to me about my car almost everytime I go to the gaz station or even at stop lights sometimes, not because it's special, just because it's rare(here)!

But if the M3 really is not a special car then I got to ask you this; what did Carlos and Jonnhy meant at 9:25min to 10:05min!?

__________________
ESS VT1, M Performance exhaust, Turner test pipes, Eibach, Michelin PSS 255/295
Alex07M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #48
k-lo
Private First Class
 
k-lo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP, 2012 X5 35d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 184
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedaddictM3 View Post
... I'd say a Boss 302 Mustang is a more rare and unique and special car than an M3.
Because there are several performance versions from the base Mustang:

Mustang GT
Shelby GT500
Boss 302

other variant:
Roush

Speaking of volumes, each version that comes out will be smaller in number. But if we were to play that game an M3 GTS would be rarer than a Boss 302.
k-lo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #49
Billj747
Lieutenant
 
Billj747's Avatar
 
Drives: Everything
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wellington, FL

Posts: 414
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Billj747
The new Mustang has a similar front LCA design as the E92/F30 with two lower control arms. The IRS in the rear is an integral rear link which IIRC: same design as the E38, E39, E53, E60, E63 cars.

1.5" lower roof, 1.3" lower hood, 2.8" lower rear decklid, and the whole greenhouse pushed back almost 2" with a 13mm wider stance.

The 305hp+ Turbo-4 should be an awesome little track car with a good weight distribution.
__________________
Billj747 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #50
dreamspeed
Major
 
dreamspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,012
iTrader: (0)

I think it's too sleek for a muscle car. Shoulda been blockier
__________________
dreamspeed is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #51
Sapper_M3
Lieutenant
 
Sapper_M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Missouri

Posts: 500
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed
I think it's too sleek for a muscle car. Shoulda been blockier
The Mustang is coming to Europe and must appeal to a wider audience; gone are the muscle car days (although the Mustang and Camaro as "pony cars" were always a little sleeker and less blocky than the true muscle cars).
Sapper_M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #52
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,450
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
I think its a home run and will be very popular. I bet it will look stunning in person.
Agreed, I saw the car in Venice in person and photos dont do this car justice at all. It really is going to be a break through for Ford.
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #53
Ezio
Colonel
 
Ezio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

Posts: 2,539
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
That can be said about every base car. The roads are littered with c classes, 3 series and audi a4's.
sorry for late respond. i do agree but

i would rather have my base car be a BMW 3 series than a mustang V6.

So it already puts in you a different class car over a mustang.

i am sorry but no one is really that impressed by base mustangs. a new BMW 3 series is for sure a more impressive car. BMW brand name talks more than Ford.

when you get a M3. it makes your already expensive car look more expensive and nicer. IF you are into that type of stuff. and i must say, while i am in my 20s. i am into that kind of stuff.

and in my area. nice cars are common, but M3s are not. because of the roads and winter.
__________________
Ezio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2014, 04:03 AM   #54
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,450
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
sorry for late respond. i do agree but

i would rather have my base car be a BMW 3 series than a mustang V6.

So it already puts in you a different class car over a mustang.

i am sorry but no one is really that impressed by base mustangs. a new BMW 3 series is for sure a more impressive car. BMW brand name talks more than Ford.

when you get a M3. it makes your already expensive car look more expensive and nicer. IF you are into that type of stuff. and i must say, while i am in my 20s. i am into that kind of stuff.

and in my area. nice cars are common, but M3s are not. because of the roads and winter.
How can you make this statement when the 2015 Mustang isnt even out yet? If the issue is the 2005-2014 Mustang I would agree with you whole heartedly.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2014, 04:38 AM   #55
Ezio
Colonel
 
Ezio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

Posts: 2,539
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
How can you make this statement when the 2015 Mustang isnt even out yet? If the issue is the 2005-2014 Mustang I would agree with you whole heartedly.

Dave
because ford is not going to stop making base mustangs that cost around 20k. that people are going to love and buy. mustangs get real old real fast.

in fact ford talks about making a new base mustang that has a 4 cylinder engine. ford is going to try to sell the crap out of these cars.
__________________
Ezio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #56
tpowerdinny
Specialist
 
Drives: A Tricycle
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NYC

Posts: 669
iTrader: (4)

Really great looking car... that being said I'd probably never own one. Not a complete deviation from past gen but it looks much more refined and complex, the newer gens have really brought back the Mustang so I'm sure Ford though why mess with a winning look.
tpowerdinny is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2014, 11:58 AM   #57
acevo8
Private
 
Drives: Mitsubishi Evo 8
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 57
iTrader: (1)

Part of the reason also as to why we see so many base model mustangs that "dilute" the rarity of these cars is that Ford (as does Chevy with their Camaro) has deals with the rental car companies. Let's face it, both cars are mass produced vehicles that are not "rare." I read a comment above regarding the Impreza, subaru is one of the most component/modular car manufacturers out there. They have a mindset of lego builders in that a large quantity of their parts are interchanged between models. Does the fact that they share parts among models make them any less rare? Nope, because they are still one of the lesser mass produced vehicles compared to say Toyota or Honda. This "lego" model between their different markets (US versions, Japanese versions, etc...) is what helps them keep production costs down. The fact of the matter is, car companies are out to make money, BMW's market share is held by the 3 series. The e90/e92 M3 is a great car, and i love the way the s65 screams, but we can't discount the fact that the coyote 5.0 in the new mustang isn't an engineering piece of art too. It has 390 lb/ft of torque, weighs like 444lbs, and can still get close to 25mpg on it. We're car enthusiasts, we need to give props where its due. Ford and Chevy are upping their game.
acevo8 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #58
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
 
Raja Ventureshield's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 coupe
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 5,712
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeKon View Post
Really? This "throwback" bodystyle has been around since 2005...and now it'll go for another 4 years approximately. That's basically the same car (with some facelifts here and there) for 14 years. I guess I'm crazy :confused

The car is not ugly by ANY means. Guess I'm just disappointed because I expected a completely redesigned car
in that case the 911 has been the same for 50 years.
__________________
*************************************
Un4gettable 435i Extended Test drive thread:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881491
Raja Ventureshield is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #59
Ezio
Colonel
 
Ezio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

Posts: 2,539
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
in that case the 911 has been the same for 50 years.
i think the Porsche look. (small, wide, low, aggressive, yet still classy and European ) is bullet proof. they have the look down to a art. and the cars keep getting better looking without doing make overs.

one problem with mustangs is how many are made. WAY more than any 911. so they get old fast. ford trys to keep them updated to a new look.

on top of that, if you really look at a mustang. they are not that pretty. unless you get some full loaded GT500 the cars don't really look that great. at least in recent decade.

so that formula doesn't necessary work on every car.
__________________
Ezio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #60
BlackJetE90
Colonel
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: e90

Posts: 2,231
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
because ford is not going to stop making base mustangs that cost around 20k. that people are going to love and buy. mustangs get real old real fast.

in fact ford talks about making a new base mustang that has a 4 cylinder engine. ford is going to try to sell the crap out of these cars.
The 320i doesn't really help your argument.

Funny how US mindsets are. Over in Europe BMW's and Mercedes are used for taxis.
BlackJetE90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #61
JTO24
Got an 8:30 res at Dorsia
 
JTO24's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 MW E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Jersey

Posts: 1,077
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
The 320i doesn't really help your argument.

Funny how US mindsets are. Over in Europe BMW's and Mercedes are used for taxis.
That's true.. I was in Vienna last month on business and the taxi's were LCI E-classes haha
JTO24 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #62
Wild_Will
Private First Class
 
Wild_Will's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335is
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: U.S. Army/Germany

Posts: 124
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Wild_Will
LoL yup I was shocked here when a 70K Benz Wagon Taxi showed up on post.

I can never ride in a NYC taxi again now!
Wild_Will is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2014, 02:53 AM   #63
positiveions
Lieutenant General
 
positiveions's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

Posts: 10,429
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Design looks good. But I think headlights look too much like a Taurus.
positiveions is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2014, 03:38 PM   #64
austinla335d
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 527
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
I think you should take an other look at the pictures because this ain't even close to be the same car that's been around for a while now!

I love the look of this new Mustang, it looks a lot less like a muscle car and more like a sport car!!
You said it: The Mustang is on a diet and it can now be considered a sports car. Not that it wasn't, but... it wasn't.

And to the OP, that first image you posted has Aston Martin written all over it. At a glance it looks like an Aston Martin. I thought this thread was sarcastic when I first glanced at your comments. The redesign is incredible.
austinla335d is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #65
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,450
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
because ford is not going to stop making base mustangs that cost around 20k. that people are going to love and buy. mustangs get real old real fast.

in fact ford talks about making a new base mustang that has a 4 cylinder engine. ford is going to try to sell the crap out of these cars.
The 4cyl. Ecoboost engine will not be the base Mustang, the V6 will be. The fact of the matter is BMW makes mid to upper 20K base 3 series ala 320i. A base Mustang would run away and hide from a BMW 320i.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #66
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,450
iTrader: (1)

I can't wait to see the Boss's, Shelbys with the new Mustang. These are just the plain jane Mustang GTs.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST