BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-27-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 193
iTrader: (0)

This car just gets better and better! Some thoughts after a high-speed dash home...

Just got back home from visiting some friends and gave my M3 a good thrashing on the way back. The more I drive it, the more I love it!!

I've done just over two thousand miles now and have really started to use the full performance range. On my way back to London tonight I had it flat out at the rev limiter a few times (obviously I took a detour through Germany to get home, as I would never even consider doing those sort of speeds on a deserted A13 through Essex ). At 150-160 the car just feels so secure. At no point did it feel like I was straining the engine or the suspension and it was as rattle free as driving at 50. Through corners at those speeds the car weights up really nicely and there is a lot of resistance through the steering wheel, so you always know what's going on beneath you. It feels pretty much as quick as the V10 up to about 120 when, although it still has plenty pulling power, it starts to lack a little of the urgency that the extra 90hp gives. The gearbox also seems to be improving with age and changes at 8,000rpm are just sublime. So quick, in fact, that you barely have to lift the throttle as you drop the clutch.

I also shot across some back roads tonight, taking the car to the limit around a few corners. Turn-in is crisp and sharp and the chassis is up there with the best. You always know exactly what it is doing and there are no unexpected moments where the tail slides out without warning. The engine is so flexible that you almost never have to change out of third gear on a twisty road. Power is always available and the range is so great that you will almost certainly be back on the brakes before the next corner. It's one of those cars that can make most drivers look like a hero...

I love it!!!!
Filthy Monkey is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
ase2dais
//Mdicted
 
ase2dais's Avatar
 
Drives: a Cop Magnet
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 495 Ring

Posts: 9,874
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
I'll soon have my day



any pictures?
ase2dais is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
OzStriker
Captain
 
OzStriker's Avatar
 
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 923
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to OzStriker
Please post no more of this nonsense until my January delivery
OzStriker is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2007, 07:58 PM   #4
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 193
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
any pictures?
Sorry, I had other things on my mind at 160...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStriker View Post
Please post no more of this nonsense until my January delivery
What I really meant was it's rubbish and you have nothing to look forward to
Filthy Monkey is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
aussiem3's Avatar
 
Drives: Goggomobil
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kangaroo land

Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Well done

Well your impressions of the car has been always positive and it is good to hear from someone who owns and drives one. This will also silence some of our forum's arm-chair critics who have so far joined the anti M3 band wagon and ridiculed the car for no obvious reasons.
Mine is just a month way from delivery and can't wait for it.
My impressions were the same after I first drove the car soon after the launch. This is a car for all occasions although the purists (i.e. the respected CSL owners) might wait for a hardcore version of this car.
Filthy, keep enjoying and share your expereince with us from time to time. Great work!

Last edited by aussiem3; 10-27-2007 at 08:00 PM. Reason: typo
aussiem3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
ase2dais
//Mdicted
 
ase2dais's Avatar
 
Drives: a Cop Magnet
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 495 Ring

Posts: 9,874
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
Sorry, I had other things on my mind at 160...
only 160!

ase2dais is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 193
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
only 160!

Well, I had to give the police car a fighting chance...
Filthy Monkey is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2007, 08:42 PM   #8
Epacy
Reincarnated
 
Epacy's Avatar
 
Drives: 02 Maxima SE
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IL

Posts: 4,227
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Good to hear. Would also appreciate any more pics you can snap.
__________________
Epacy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 03:48 AM   #9
ChrisW
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North East England

Posts: 36
iTrader: (0)

My car is also approaching 2,000 miles and my feelings are very similar.

Performance is great. Even 100MPH + acceleration seems very, very strong to me - not having enjoyed a V10 M5/M6 or anything else that would make me feel otherwise (bikes excepted). The engine revs forever, feeling that the red line has increased more than it really has compared to the old model. Exhaust/intake noise could be louder but the sound is sweet and seems just right.

I have had a few chances to really push the car and the handling is fantastic. The front end really digs in and I've always felt that I knew what the car was doing - despite the well documented poor steering feel (the one reported issue that had me concerned pre-delivery). Steering feel is still an issue for me but nothing like the scale we were all lead to believe - not spoiling my enjoyment.
ChrisW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 08:14 AM   #10
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Have any of you hear of this,

The dealer I have ordered my M3 off told me that up to 5,000miles the engine shouldn't be revved to the full as an failure would void the warranty.

I sound unbelievable to me, I would understand 1500miles but not 5000miles, but in fairness I am new to M cars and don't know if this is true or just a new thing.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 08:46 AM   #11
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 1,942
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Have any of you hear of this,

The dealer I have ordered my M3 off told me that up to 5,000miles the engine shouldn't be revved to the full as an failure would void the warranty.

I sound unbelievable to me, I would understand 1500miles but not 5000miles, but in fairness I am new to M cars and don't know if this is true or just a new thing.

That's BS.
devo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 09:15 AM   #12
ase2dais
//Mdicted
 
ase2dais's Avatar
 
Drives: a Cop Magnet
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 495 Ring

Posts: 9,874
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
Well, I had to give the police car a fighting chance...
I dont think these folks need any help

... coz most likely theirs has no speed governor
Attached Images
  
ase2dais is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #13
ase2dais
//Mdicted
 
ase2dais's Avatar
 
Drives: a Cop Magnet
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 495 Ring

Posts: 9,874
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Have any of you hear of this,

The dealer I have ordered my M3 off told me that up to 5,000miles the engine shouldn't be revved to the full as an failure would void the warranty.

I sound unbelievable to me, I would understand 1500miles but not 5000miles, but in fairness I am new to M cars and don't know if this is true or just a new thing.
you have have mistaken 5000miles for 5000rpm. Breakin car should avoid going over 5k tach reading until after 1500 miles is reached
ase2dais is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 10:28 AM   #14
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,560
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Break-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
you have have mistaken 5000miles for 5000rpm. Breakin car should avoid going over 5k tach reading until after 1500 miles is reached
Isn't 2,000 km (~1,245 miles) the stipulated end of "break-in"?
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 10:35 AM   #15
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Have any of you hear of this,

The dealer I have ordered my M3 off told me that up to 5,000miles the engine shouldn't be revved to the full as an failure would void the warranty.

I sound unbelievable to me, I would understand 1500miles but not 5000miles, but in fairness I am new to M cars and don't know if this is true or just a new thing.
If there is a break-in procedure, it should be documented in writing in the owners manual or elsewhere. They can't just hold you to something the dealer just said.
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 10:46 AM   #16
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,560
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Braek-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
If there is a break-in procedure, it should be documented in writing in the owners manual or elsewhere. They can't just hold you to something the dealer just said.
Correct, it should be in the manual. This is what the manual for my E46 M3 says:

"To ensure that your vehicle provides maximum economy throughout a long service life, we request that you observe the following instructions:
Because of its engineering design, the BMW M3 is an especially high quality vehicle. It is in your best interest to follow the break-in procedure very closely. Doing this, you will create the basis for a long, optimum service life.

Engine and differential
Until a mileage reading of 1,200 miles (2,000 km): drive at varying engine
and road speeds, but do not exceed the following engine speeds or road
speeds: 5,500/rpm or 105 mph (170 km/h)
Obey your local and state maximum speed limits. Do not depress the celerator pedal to the full-throttle position.
> After you have monitored the breakin period for 1,200 miles (2,000 km),
you can begin to gradually increase both the engine speed and road speed.

You should also comply with these break-in procedures if the engine or
differential is replaced later in the course of the vehicle service life.

Tires
Due to technical factors associated with their manufacture, tires do not
achieve their full traction potential until an initial break-in period has elapsed.

Thus drive with extra care during the initial 200 miles (300 km).
Obey your local and state maximum speed limits.
When the vehicle is operated on wet or slushy roads, a wedge of water may form between the tire and the road surface.
This phenomenon is referred to as aquaplaning, or hydroplaning, and can lead to partial or complete loss of traction, vehicle control and braking effectiveness. Reduce your speed on wet roads.

Brake system
Approximately 300 miles (500 km) must elapse before the brake pads and disks
achieve the optimal pad-surface and wear patterns required for trouble-free
operation and long service life later on. To break-in the separate parking brake drums, apply the parking brake lightly when coasting to a standstill (at a traffic signal, for instance), provided that traffic conditions allow you to do so. To avoid corrosion, repeat this procedure from time to time. The brake lamps do not come on when the parking brake is set.
Vacuum for the brake system servo unit on your BMW is available only when the engine is running. When you move the vehicle with the engine off – when
towing, for example – substantially higher levels of pedal force will be
required to brake the vehicle.

Clutch
The clutch will also begin to function optimally after about 300 miles (500 km). Drive cautiously during this break-in period and do not shift roughly."
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 10:46 AM   #17
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
I must have mishear him, thank god. So for the 1500miles keep her below 5000rpm and things will be
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #18
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,743
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
Just got back home from visiting some friends and gave my M3 a good thrashing on the way back. The more I drive it, the more I love it!!
Hey Filthy, I am curious, when driving hard as you describe in your post, what do you have your MDrive settings set to? Do you have everything set at "max" or it something less than that?
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 12:43 PM   #19
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 193
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I must have mishear him, thank god. So for the 1500miles keep her below 5000rpm and things will be
The run-in details should be listed on a sticker on the top right-hand side of your windscreen. From memory -

Up to 1,200 miles, no full throttle, vary the revs up to a maximum of 5,500 and, from memory, don't go above 110mph.

From 1,200 up to 3,000 miles, the full rev range and full throttle can be used, with a maximum sustained speed of 150mph, up to 160 for 'overtaking'...

I'll check when I'm in my car later on this evening and edit this to make sure it's accurate.
Filthy Monkey is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #20
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 193
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Hey Filthy, I am curious, when driving hard as you describe in your post, what do you have your MDrive settings set to? Do you have everything set at "max" or it something less than that?
Yes, I have everything set to the sportiest setting.
Filthy Monkey is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 01:19 PM   #21
1198r
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Nova

Posts: 171
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
Yes, I have everything set to the sportiest setting.
Hi, does that mean all traction control is off or are you still using the magic of M?
1198r is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2007, 03:56 PM   #22
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,748
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Correct, it should be in the manual. This is what the manual for my E46 M3 says:

"To ensure that your vehicle provides maximum economy throughout a long service life, we request that you observe the following instructions:
Because of its engineering design, the BMW M3 is an especially high quality vehicle. It is in your best interest to follow the break-in procedure very closely. Doing this, you will create the basis for a long, optimum service life.

Engine and differential
Until a mileage reading of 1,200 miles (2,000 km): drive at varying engine
and road speeds, but do not exceed the following engine speeds or road
speeds: 5,500/rpm or 105 mph (170 km/h)
Obey your local and state maximum speed limits. Do not depress the celerator pedal to the full-throttle position.
> After you have monitored the breakin period for 1,200 miles (2,000 km),
you can begin to gradually increase both the engine speed and road speed.

You should also comply with these break-in procedures if the engine or
differential is replaced later in the course of the vehicle service life.

Tires
Due to technical factors associated with their manufacture, tires do not
achieve their full traction potential until an initial break-in period has elapsed.

Thus drive with extra care during the initial 200 miles (300 km).
Obey your local and state maximum speed limits.
When the vehicle is operated on wet or slushy roads, a wedge of water may form between the tire and the road surface.
This phenomenon is referred to as aquaplaning, or hydroplaning, and can lead to partial or complete loss of traction, vehicle control and braking effectiveness. Reduce your speed on wet roads.

Brake system
Approximately 300 miles (500 km) must elapse before the brake pads and disks
achieve the optimal pad-surface and wear patterns required for trouble-free
operation and long service life later on. To break-in the separate parking brake drums, apply the parking brake lightly when coasting to a standstill (at a traffic signal, for instance), provided that traffic conditions allow you to do so. To avoid corrosion, repeat this procedure from time to time. The brake lamps do not come on when the parking brake is set.
Vacuum for the brake system servo unit on your BMW is available only when the engine is running. When you move the vehicle with the engine off when
towing, for example substantially higher levels of pedal force will be
required to brake the vehicle.

Clutch
The clutch will also begin to function optimally after about 300 miles (500 km). Drive cautiously during this break-in period and do not shift roughly."
Seems to be exactly the same like it's written in the E92 M3 manual.

Best regards, south
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST