BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Steve Thomas BMW

12-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
SilentAttack
Major

Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

Best coilovers for street use only

I currently have swift springs and love them but they aren't low enough for my likes. I'm thinking about switching to coilovers in the next few months. I don't track my car so I don't need anything crazy. Any suggestions on a street setup?
      12-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
Z K
Colonel

Drives: E90 M3

The least expensive one I'd go for is the KW V3. Others that are cheaper such as the H&R and BC Racing/Megan Racing are not as good and IMHO not worth wasting time on. KWs can be adjusted to be comfortable or track ready if you like.
      12-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
SilentAttack
Major

Yeah that's what I've been looking at. I just didn't know if the BC would be street comfortable as they are not expensive. I ran them on my G35 n loved them but this is a different machine all together.
      12-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
KennyPowers
Brigadier General

Drives: .....

No. Cheap coils ride badly.

Personally I'd go tck da, ohlins rt or maybe kW v3.

The v3 dampers are inferior to the other I list and will ride worse and not handle as we'll.

Ohlins is truly the way to go. Or stay stock.
      12-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
Endless619
DHS

Drives: bmw x5, m3, Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAttack View Post
I currently have swift springs and love them but they aren't low enough for my likes. I'm thinking about switching to coilovers in the next few months. I don't track my car so I don't need anything crazy. Any suggestions on a street setup?
I disagree with both of the above posters as I have tracked and have used over 30 sets of coilovers in my cars dating back to 1991.

In reality cheaper doesn't always mean they are a bad setup. When I owned my 2002 Acura NSX I thought and knew KW Variant coilovers were complete shit/trash. I ran Ohlins, Aragosta, Top Secret, Moton, etc… All upper tier sets. I also ran about a dozen street coilovers and for the street most sets over $1000 and under $2000 will suffice for this car. The upper tiers had the adjustably I wanted for the track and street but a street only setup works just fine on the street and daily driving/commuting. But reality here is most street sets are merely for height adjustment or to enhance the look of the car with "stance".

I have also been through Zeal, HKS, Spoon, Mugen, Aragosta Tuned by Top Secret I bought used straight from a race car.

I ran H&R with Swift springs on my Z4MC and E92 M3. I ran KW V3s on my E46 M3 and although they had more adjustability for the street the H&R were a capable setup. Don't be fooled by word of mouth or hearsay.

If you know folks that have both setups take a ride in both and drive on both. Look at them out of the box, check the quality, look at reviews, look at warranties, etc…
Do some homework..

Anyway good luck in your search. Shoot me a PM for your price range and what you really are looking for in a set.

Last edited by Endless619; 12-05-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Endless619 is offline   Spain
      12-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
SilentAttack
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
I disagree with both of the above posters as I have tracked and have used over 30 sets of coilovers in my cars dating back to 1991.

In reality cheaper doesn't always mean they are a bad setup. When I owned my 2002 Acura NSX I thought and knew KW Variant coilovers were complete shit/trash. I ran Ohlins, Aragosta, Top Secret, Moton, etc… All upper tier sets. I also ran about a dozen street coilovers and for the street most sets over $1000 and under $2000 will suffice for this car. The upper tiers had the adjustably I wanted for the track and street but a street only setup works just fine on the street and daily driving/commuting. But reality here is most street sets are merely for height adjustment or to enhance the look of the car with "stance".

I have also been through Zeal, HKS, Spoon, Mugen, Aragosta Tuned by Top Secret I bought used straight from a race car.

I ran H&R with Swift springs on my Z4MC and E92 M3. I ran KW V3s on my E46 M3 and although they had more adjustability for the street the H&R were a capable setup. Don't be fooled by word of mouth or hearsay.

If you know folks that have both setups take a ride in both and drive on both. Look at them out of the box, check the quality, look at reviews, look at warranties, etc…
Do some homework..

Anyway good luck in your search. Shoot me a PM for your price range and what you really are looking for in a set.

Thanks so much for the info. I have been looking around but not too serious now as I do have swift springs and really love the spring rates. I just need about another inch drop. I dont track my car nor do I plan on tracking it. I also dont daily drive it. Im really just looking for a "lower" ride with the same spring rates. Could I use my swift springs with other coil bases?
      12-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #7
W Cole
Captain

Drives: 2009 M3

Ohlins R&T
      12-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
edwinm3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3

Expensive coilovers for street use? It's your money but why?

Evolve Stage 2, GTS-DCT Software, Akrapovic Exhaust, AA Catless X Pipe, AA Geen Air filter, AA Pulley, Stoptech BBK, KW V3 Coilovers
"If it feels like it's on rails, you're not driving fast enough"
edwinm3 is offline   United_States
      12-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
tokic_o
Private First Class

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
Expensive coilovers for street use? It's your money but why?
ditto.

Been looking up H&R coils for a while. They seem like they would fit your needs. Good price too (around $1k brand new).
"But a tell tale sign is when we don't even need to say, "BMW M3". All we need to say is, "M3" and even folks with little to no interest in automobiles, know what it is. They recognize the model name and can tell by the huge smile on our faces that it's something very special..."
tokic_o is offline   Canada
      12-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
kchu221
JDM whore

Drives: 2009 Porsche 911 Turbo

i have my JRZ for sale, its set up for more street use, ill let it go at a really good price, let me know!
      12-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
Z K
Colonel

Drives: E90 M3

I've had personal experience running the BC (Bor Chuan) Racing coilovers and Megan Racing on my old Evos... they are actually pretty comfortable for street use but they wear out fast. I also tracked them which may be part of the problem. Some say the shock fluid overheats easily in these things... None of them lasted more than 15k miles of driving before the dampers went to crap. It gets really harsh and has a bouncy ride at the end of the shock life.

For H&R, I ran them before too... it was one of the worst experiences I've had with suspension. The shocks are utter crap. They started clunking about 5k miles in. I had a hard time diagnosing the problem and finally found it. The front shocks had shaft play! They were moving from side to side and so it clunked all the time. I called H&R and they said no way their shocks are bad... they are superior German stuff etc. So much attitude from the support guy! Really bad customer service. So I mailed them the shocks.. they shut up and mailed me new shocks. Another few months of driving and the shocks do the exact same thing... I got them warrantied again and then got rid of them. Total junk - shocks that go bad in a few months of street driving? I never want to see another H&R coilover again! While I had them, the ride was super stiff and more like a track coilover than anything for street use... and dampening is not adjustable.

I've had really good experiences with the Ohlins DFV coilovers and would go with them again. They are currently called R&T. Rides great - super comfortable and handles like it's on rails on the track. But expect to rebuild them every 20-30k miles.

For me the KW is a happy medium. Long service life for street driving and adjustable dampening for street or track.

As for coilovers I've used in the past:

Tein Type HA
Tein Type Flex
Ohlins DFV
HKS Hipermax 3
Megan Racing
BC Racing Type BR
Kei Office
JIC
H&R Street Performance Coilover
Aragosta
KW V3
Apexi N1 EXV coilovers
Buddy Club N+ Coilovers

Last edited by Z K; 12-06-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Z K is offline   United_States
      12-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
SilentAttack
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I've had personal experience running the BC (Bor Chuan) Racing coilovers and Megan Racing on my old Evos... they are actually pretty comfortable for street use but they wear out fast. I also tracked them which may be part of the problem. Some say the shock fluid overheats easily in these things... None of them lasted more than 15k miles of driving before the dampers went to crap. It gets really harsh and has a bouncy ride at the end of the shock life.

For H&R, I ran them before too... it was one of the worst experiences I've had with suspension. The shocks are utter crap. They started clunking about 5k miles in. I had a hard time diagnosing the problem and finally found it. The front shocks had shaft play! They were moving from side to side and so it clunked all the time. I called H&R and they said no way their shocks are bad... they are superior German stuff etc. So much attitude from the support guy! Really bad customer service. So I mailed them the shocks.. they shut up and mailed me new shocks. Another few months of driving and the shocks do the exact same thing... I got them warrantied again and then got rid of them. Total junk - shocks that go bad in a few months of street driving? I never want to see another H&R coilover again! While I had them, the ride was super stiff and more like a track coilover than anything for street use... and dampening is not adjustable.

I've had really good experiences with the Ohlins DFV coilovers and would go with them again. They are currently called R&T. Rides great - super comfortable and handles like it's on rails on the track. But expect to rebuild them every 20-30k miles.

For me the KW is a happy medium. Long service life for street driving and adjustable dampening for street or track.

Tein Type HA
Tein Type Flex
Ohlins DFV
HKS Hipermax 3
Megan Racing
BC Racing Type BR
Kei Office
JIC
Aragosta
KW V3
Apexi N1 EXV coilovers
Buddy Club N+ Coilovers
Thanks for the great info!! I expected only a few quick answers but write ups like this really help out. Ive always told myself if I get coils for the M they would be KW but the Ohlins are looking great too. The only reason I consider BC is because of the price the amount of time I actually drive my car (3-5k per year) and I have had past experience with them. Ohlins R&T just seem like they are the best of both worlds if I ever decide to track my car and KW is also used widely throughout the community... Decisions decisions
      12-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
W Cole
Captain

Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAttack View Post
Thanks for the great info!! I expected only a few quick answers but write ups like this really help out. Ive always told myself if I get coils for the M they would be KW but the Ohlins are looking great too. The only reason I consider BC is because of the price the amount of time I actually drive my car (3-5k per year) and I have had past experience with them. Ohlins R&T just seem like they are the best of both worlds if I ever decide to track my car and KW is also used widely throughout the community... Decisions decisions
I went with Ohlins R&T as they are supposed to be the best for street and they have really made me appreciate how good of a job BMW did designing the stock suspension. For the street the coilovers don't really do anything appreciably better. I think I would have been better off getting springs and putting the money towards a supercharger.
      12-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
SilentAttack
Major

Maybe I need to swap my swift springs for a set of KW sleeve overs. That may be a better fit for me.
      12-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #15
Denk
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

If I were shopping coilovers, I'd start with the KW Clubsport 3 way.
Denk is online now   United_States
      12-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #16
JEllis
Brigadier General

Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

I have KW Clubsports. I love them for a street coilover that is aggressive, I do dual purpose my car though. The V3s would be a step more into the street realm which I think would be a great coilover for street only.
      12-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #17
Exclusivs
Major

Drives: E92 M3

Am on KWV3, and too only run on street. No complaint, great coilover and don't even miss my EDC control/ stock setup.

They make a great product.
Exclusivs is offline   United_States
      12-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
SilentAttack
Major

Are the KW v3's super stiff compared to stock? Im very happy with the Swift spring rates and would like something in comparison
      12-08-2013, 02:50 AM   #19
Endless619
DHS

Drives: bmw x5, m3, Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post

Tein Type HA
Tein Type Flex
Ohlins DFV
HKS Hipermax 3
Megan Racing
BC Racing Type BR
Kei Office
JIC
Aragosta
KW V3
Apexi N1 EXV coilovers
Buddy Club N+ Coilovers
Sorry you had bad experiences with H&R but they have been great for me with the miles on my Z4M and M3.

I forgot to add I ran Bilstein and Tein way back in the day. Tein was pretty bad. Bilstein PSS's were pretty good.

For street I would spend under $2000. Thats what I did. I don't have the motivation as I am getting older to go deep on suspension for the street only. Makes no sense hence I agree with a couple of the other posters here.
Endless619 is offline   Spain
      12-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #20
dohoh755
Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3, GTR

of course. Ohlins
dohoh755 is offline   Canada
      12-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #21
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 9|Ridge 1:52:25|Pacific 1:35:72

Drives: Race car->

what about just a sleeve over kit along with your swift springs?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
      12-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #22
blackey
Private

Drives: 09 M3

TCK ride better than the Ohlins. Ohlins are better for the track.