BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Lux Angel Eyes

12-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
stocksure
Private

Drives: 2011 E92

Upgrade from SWS8s to JL 10w3v3?

I currently have two Earthquake SWS 8s under the seats running off a Rockford Fosgate 300.2. They sound pretty good but I'm thinking of changing to a JL 10w3v3 in the trunk running off the same amp - in just a standard sealed box (.7 cu ft).

The amp can do 300 Watts x 1 @ 4-Ohm Bridged so a 4-Ohm JL shouldn't be a problem.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has done this and if there was any benefit. It will end up costing $240.

Some may suggest to add another amp and the JL but I don't really want to mess with that. Easier just plugging speaker cables into a new box in the trunk from the amp.

Thanks!

H
      12-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
rumelk
Private First Class

Drives: E93 M3 Convertible - 6MT!

I would keep the SWS-8 where they are, get another amp and just piggy back you Rockford amp to the new one and viola! shouldnt be more then a 10-15 minute job.
      12-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
stocksure
Private

How would that be wired?
      12-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Do you mean running the SWS off the stock amp then using the Rockford to power the JL?
      12-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #5
stocksure
Private

I want to use the RF amp for the JL. Leave the SWS subs unplugged.
      12-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by stocksure View Post
I want to use the RF amp for the JL. Leave the SWS subs unplugged.
I personally wouldn't do that. While the JL will add a lot of bass, you will miss the tones that the underseat (and closer) speakers provide.
      12-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
stocksure
Private

What do I need to do in order to keep the 8s as mids under the seats and add on the JL 10?

Correct me if I'm wrong - add an amp that allows me to daisy chain them; with one amp running the 10 and another running the 2 8 Earthquakes. Will I need a Crossover in order to divide the music into low and mid frequency ranges?

Is there an easier way to do this? If I replace the 2 8s, as The TECH stated, I will lose the mid range in sound.
      12-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
rumelk
Private First Class

Drives: E93 M3 Convertible - 6MT!

How have you plugged in your input into the rockford amp? are you using a line output converter? like this http://caraudiosecurity.com/connecti...tput-convertor.

Also what type of factory system do you have, Base Stereo (no tweeter in the doors, and no amp in the trunk by the cd changer), Hifi (tweeter in the doors, and amp in the trunk) or Logic 7 (centre speaker present, speakers covers are silver in colour)

Let me know what you find out.
      12-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
nimo
Private First Class

Drives: E90, F30

The sws-8 are not good for midbass. I suggest you sell the sws and replace them with oem 8s. Then buy a corner loaded enclosure for the jl. The trunk is a bass trap and will not sound good with a conventional box.
      12-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
stocksure
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumelk View Post
How have you plugged in your input into the rockford amp? are you using a line output converter? like this http://caraudiosecurity.com/connecti...tput-convertor.

Also what type of factory system do you have, Base Stereo (no tweeter in the doors, and no amp in the trunk by the cd changer), Hifi (tweeter in the doors, and amp in the trunk) or Logic 7 (centre speaker present, speakers covers are silver in colour)

Let me know what you find out.
Yes, I am using a Line Out Converter, the PAC SOEM-T. I have the HiFi system (tweeters in the doors and amp in the trunk).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimo View Post
The sws-8 are not good for midbass. I suggest you sell the sws and replace them with oem 8s. Then buy a corner loaded enclosure for the jl. The trunk is a bass trap and will not sound good with a conventional box.
I got my JL 10w3v3 today and put it in a sealed box in the trunk. I used my RF P300 amp, bridged, to test it out and it sounds fantastic. I am missing the mid-bass since the SWS-8s are unplugged. I get the other amp, Rockford Fosgate R500X1D, tomorrow.

I plan on plugging the RCAs from the LOC into the R500 amp (runs the JL). It has a pass-through so I will use RCA cables going from the pass-through to the RF P-300 amp (runs the 2 SWS-8s). Will daisy-chain the remote turn-on.

Another question is, my RF P300-2 amp has high-pass. Can I put it at high-pass and 80 Hz. That way it will play the SWS-8s at 80 Hz and above?

Then put my R500 amp for the 10" JL at 80 Hz, so it plays everything below 80 Hz?