BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-25-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
carnuts3
Lieutenant
5
Rep
408
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 535i
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

DCT for M3

As most on this forum know, the options lists for the E92 and E90 (both to arrive in the U.S. in the Spring of 2008) do not have DCT as a choice. I assume this means that for 2008 all M3's will come equipped with only the manual trans - No DCT option for 2008. I hope that the DCT will be available for the 2009's that will arrive in the Fall of 2008. Anyone have any word about this? This will affect the model year that I buy. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
Jason
Administrator
Jason's Avatar
United_States
6713
Rep
16,678
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Thread edited. Let's please keep it on topic, with helpful relevant posts. Thanks.
__________________
Check on the Latest BMW News
Become a fan of Bimmerpost Facebook
Follow us on Bimmerpost Twitter
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
183
Rep
13,840
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuts3 View Post
As most on this forum know, the options lists for the E92 and E90 (both to arrive in the U.S. in the Spring of 2008) do not have DCT as a choice. I assume this means that for 2008 all M3's will come equipped with only the manual trans - No DCT option for 2008. I hope that the DCT will be available for the 2009's that will arrive in the Fall of 2008. Anyone have any word about this? This will affect the model year that I buy. Thanks.
According to BMW USA, options for launch are not yet finalized. Sure there is a list in the computer, but it could still be altered before launch. It's not looking good for DCT, but its not 100% certain that it won't be there in March. Remember, up until about a month ago, almost no one would have believed that the sedan would be here at launch along side the coupe.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 01:13 PM   #4
JEllis
Brigadier General
JEllis's Avatar
84
Rep
4,783
Posts

 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

iTrader: (4)

My sales Military Sales rep says the options lists floating around the internet are very accurate but not official. I say wait to see whats on the official lists.

Jason
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 02:00 PM   #5
Hammerwerfer
New Member
Hammerwerfer's Avatar
Germany
0
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: 951
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Deutschland

iTrader: (0)

I have yet to see a DCT car that I know of. Every one I have looked in has the 6 Speed Manual. Will let you know when I see the first DCT.

I am a bit surprised not to have seen any by now so it may well be a later launch than initially anticipated.
__________________
Simplicate and add lightness.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 05:42 PM   #6
Epacy
Reincarnated
Epacy's Avatar
88
Rep
4,227
Posts

 
Drives: 02 Maxima SE
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Thread edited. Let's please keep it on topic, with helpful relevant posts. Thanks.
Thanks for never responding to my PM about the random deletions.
Tried to keep it private...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 02:19 AM   #7
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
southlight's Avatar
607
Rep
6,748
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerwerfer View Post
I have yet to see a DCT car that I know of. Every one I have looked in has the 6 Speed Manual. Will let you know when I see the first DCT.

I am a bit surprised not to have seen any by now so it may well be a later launch than initially anticipated.
The cars are out there! I've seen one already.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 02:48 AM   #8
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
6
Rep
629
Posts

 
Drives: AW e92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London

iTrader: (1)

...and what can you reveal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
The cars are out there! I've seen one already.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 05:44 AM   #9
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Uli_HH's Avatar
Germany
32
Rep
572
Posts

 
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hamburg Germany

iTrader: (0)

I spoke with an guy from Getrag on IAA in Frankfurt this September...the M-DCT tranny was shown on the Getrag exhibition. I told the guy that I had an M3 on pre-order and he says to me that is was 100% worth to wait for this new tranny...he has drove the new M3 with both MT6 and M-DCT and the later was an big inprovment over the MT6...and it comes with all this little SMG-Features like race start an so on.
He also told me that the tranny was full in schedule and comes in spring 2008...seems to be not later than Geneva Car Show in March...

Greetings Uli_HH

P.S. on the sedan spec list that leaked in late september the place for the new tranny is included...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 06:17 AM   #10
wilkoal
Private First Class
3
Rep
130
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Thanks Uli for the info and pls keep us updated about the progress.

I am about to pull the trigger and place the order for the 6MT as I always had MT cars BUT...........I would kill myself if I found out that the new DCT can be as much rewarding as the MT in terms of joy of driving and I miss that!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 08:30 AM   #11
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
136
Rep
7,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkoal View Post
Thanks Uli for the info and pls keep us updated about the progress.

I am about to pull the trigger and place the order for the 6MT as I always had MT cars BUT...........I would kill myself if I found out that the new DCT can be as much rewarding as the MT in terms of joy of driving and I miss that!
Same here...I'm willing to wait a few months for it, but would not like to have to wait until the 2009 model.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #12
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
183
Rep
13,840
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli_HH View Post
I spoke with an guy from Getrag on IAA in Frankfurt this September...the M-DCT tranny was shown on the Getrag exhibition. I told the guy that I had an M3 on pre-order and he says to me that is was 100% worth to wait for this new tranny...he has drove the new M3 with both MT6 and M-DCT and the later was an big inprovment over the MT6...and it comes with all this little SMG-Features like race start an so on.
He also told me that the tranny was full in schedule and comes in spring 2008...seems to be not later than Geneva Car Show in March...

Greetings Uli_HH

P.S. on the sedan spec list that leaked in late september the place for the new tranny is included...
Thanks Uli_HH. I will definitely put stock in what you say, since it was you who correctly called the E90 M3 for Spring release.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 11:57 AM   #13
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
136
Rep
7,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Getrag DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli_HH View Post
I spoke with an guy from Getrag on IAA in Frankfurt this September...the M-DCT tranny was shown on the Getrag exhibition. I told the guy that I had an M3 on pre-order and he says to me that is was 100% worth to wait for this new tranny...he has drove the new M3 with both MT6 and M-DCT and the later was an big inprovment over the MT6...and it comes with all this little SMG-Features like race start an so on.
He also told me that the tranny was full in schedule and comes in spring 2008...seems to be not later than Geneva Car Show in March...

Greetings Uli_HH
Thanks, Uli. I just checked the Getrag website and they have a feature on their DCT, for which they've coined the term "PowerShift": http://powershift.getrag.de/12 .
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST