BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

INDustry distribution

11-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011.5 Dinan ///M3

Drive Safely Everyone

While we don't know the circumstances, this is a great reminder to drive safely....especially during the upcoming holidays.........Phil

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...tep-linebacker
2011.5 E92 Dinan///M3: SSII DCT- Comp, Prem 2, and Conv Pkg, Heated Seats, Enhanced Prem Sound, Edition Grills/Gills, M Performance Steering Wheel, Carbon Fiber Performance Spoiler, BMW Pedals, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan X-Pipe, Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake, Dinan Software Tune, Dinan DCT Tune, Dinan Pulley Kit, Dinan CH-R Wheels, Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Arkym Lip, IND M5 Mirror Caps, Carbon Reflectors, Lux H8 V3, Brembo 365mm BBK
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Another idiot speeding excessively and running out of talent. I admit I'm no slouch on the road, but I always stay aware of my surroundings and maintain full control of my car. People really need to take driving more seriously and governments really need to tighten up the quality of driving ed and driving tests. Make them more like germany for example. They have some of the safest highways in the world despite the greater speeds of cars there.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedaddictM3 View Post
Governments really need to tighten up the quality of driving ed and driving tests.
I agree 300%........driving test must be a joke today. Hell do they even make people parallel park anymore? I guess as long as you can start the car, put on the seat belt and find 1st gear you are good. Oh I forgot........you must be able to text at least 30 words in between stop lights ............Phil
2011.5 E92 Dinan///M3: SSII DCT- Comp, Prem 2, and Conv Pkg, Heated Seats, Enhanced Prem Sound, Edition Grills/Gills, M Performance Steering Wheel, Carbon Fiber Performance Spoiler, BMW Pedals, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan X-Pipe, Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake, Dinan Software Tune, Dinan DCT Tune, Dinan Pulley Kit, Dinan CH-R Wheels, Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Arkym Lip, IND M5 Mirror Caps, Carbon Reflectors, Lux H8 V3, Brembo 365mm BBK
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
atopa2002
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: Z3, LCI e90 335i, 2013 e92 M3

Quote:
Another idiot speeding excessively and running out of talent. I admit I'm no slouch on the road, but I always stay aware of my surroundings and maintain full control of my car. People really need to take driving more seriously and governments really need to tighten up the quality of driving ed and driving tests. Make them more like germany for example. They have some of the safest highways in the world despite the greater speeds of cars there.
Althought I enjoy driving in Germany ,Accidents in Germany are most horrific due to the excessive speeds. Their roads are however better than ours.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
dparm
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

November is also the #1 month for deer collisions since it is their mating season. Pay attention to your surroundings.
      11-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
italyix
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
I agree 300%........driving test must be a joke today. Hell do they even make people parallel park anymore? I guess as long as you can start the car, put on the seat belt and find 1st gear you are good. Oh I forgot........you must be able to text at least 30 words in between stop lights ............Phil
A joke indeed, the test can even be taken in another language!!! How are you supposed to understand the signs when you cant speak English!

Darwinism at work here...too bad he took another life with him
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Another idiot speeding excessively and running out of talent.
+1 This doesn't seem to be a reminder to drive safely, it's a reminder to not drive like an idiot (or to avoid people driving like idiots).
      11-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

I learned how to drive and acquired my license fairly recently compared to most of you. Got my license 7 years ago (I'm 23, yes that means I had an M3 when I was 18 but that's a different story). I agree 100% that the driving test is a joke. I got my license in VA so it might be a little different from other states, but I didn't even have a take a real test. I took a behind the wheel course which was about 30 hours behind the wheel. On the last day I took a "final test" which basically consisted of driving during rush hour for 15 minutes. So pretty much after 15 minutes of sitting in traffic for my "test", the instructor issued me a license. We never learned how to parallel park and we didn't even go on the highway, much less learn how to merge.

My 2 cents on how to improve drivers in the US is to teach your own kids how to drive yourselves. Teach them everything, defensive driving, appropriate lane changes, how to yield, and most importantly, ingrain into their heads to not even think of touching their phones while the car is moving. I know that my M3 would be totaled and long gone if it wasn't for my parents teaching me how to really drive. The US Gov't has too much on their hands right now to even think of changing the driver requirements.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
I learned how to drive and acquired my license fairly recently compared to most of you. Got my license 7 years ago (I'm 23, yes that means I had an M3 when I was 18 but that's a different story). I agree 100% that the driving test is a joke. I got my license in VA so it might be a little different from other states, but I didn't even have a take a real test. I took a behind the wheel course which was about 30 hours behind the wheel. On the last day I took a "final test" which basically consisted of driving during rush hour for 15 minutes. So pretty much after 15 minutes of sitting in traffic for my "test", the instructor issued me a license. We never learned how to parallel park and we didn't even go on the highway, much less learn how to merge.

My 2 cents on how to improve drivers in the US is to teach your own kids how to drive yourselves. Teach them everything, defensive driving, appropriate lane changes, how to yield, and most importantly, ingrain into their heads to not even think of touching their phones while the car is moving. I know that my M3 would be totaled and long gone if it wasn't for my parents teaching me how to really drive. The US Gov't has too much on their hands right now to even think of changing the driver requirements.
Very well stated by one of our younger brothers ................Phil
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
schoy
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
+1 This doesn't seem to be a reminder to drive safely, it's a reminder to not drive like an idiot (or to avoid people driving like idiots).
Wouldn't have helped here. Car went airborne into opposing traffic.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
meez
Sloppy Seconds Connoisseur
Rep

Drives: 2011 DY E90 M3

Compare the driving tests in most of Europe to the US.
Prepare to chuckle.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #12
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atopa2002 View Post
Althought I enjoy driving in Germany ,Accidents in Germany are most horrific due to the excessive speeds. Their roads are however better than ours.
What a stupid comment
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill72 View Post
What a stupid comment
I kinda have to disagree with you. Growing up in Norway we made annual trips to central/southern Europe, always taking A7 to make up some ground early in the trip. After moving to the US when I was 19, I really noticed the difference in road quality. There are certain areas on I-95 closest major interstate in my area, that makes you wonder how much the road workers had to drink when they put down the asphalt and/or concrete... speaking of, who the hell uses concrete anymore anyways? Even though the "openness and straightness" is present on US highways and interstates, the road quality is often not there to be doing speeds in excess of 100-110 mph.

However, that being said rigorous driving ed and a change of mentality and driving etiquette is a major underlying problem. In Norway it took me 2.5 years, and $3500 to get my license (we have to wait till we're 18), and I got away with taking minimum amount of hours since I practiced to such a great extent with my parents. I remember making it here freshman year of college; for less than $100, and 1.5 hours I had my license in hand. Absolutely insane!!

Also, as mentiond earlier when there first is an accident on the autobahn it has a tendency to be pretty ugly. It is quite simple, if there is some sort of accident at 120 mph it's gonna be worse and the ramifications greater than if you're doing 70-80 mph.

Just my $0.02
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #14
JFlo
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by meez View Post
Compare the driving tests in most of Europe to the US.
Prepare to chuckle.
That's what I did when I moved here, haha
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #15
GVFlyer
Large Member
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Quote:
I lived in Germany and drove Porsches there for over a decade. The main reason German roads, to include the autobahn, are safer is because the Germans put a much better trained and qualified driver on the road than we do in the States.

By law, before taking the practical test the person has to perform a certain number of training hours driving on the Autobahn, driving at night (Nachtfahrt) and driving outside of cities on roads that are not an Autobahn (Überlandfahrt). The average German spends between 1500 € and 2000 € for the theoretical and practical tests. If he fails one of the two exams, he will end up spending more.

Last edited by GVFlyer; 11-20-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #16
IzzyGray
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3

Got my US license at 19 when I first came here. I took the written test(multiple choice on a computer) and 2 days later I took the road test. This consisted of driving around for 15 minutes and not making a dumb mistake. No other maneuvers testedand walked out with a license. This is in WI and I shudder at the lack of quality testing. ;(
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #17
mydenimisraw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
We all drive spirited at times, but choosing when to do so makes all the difference. If you're going 100+ MPH and theres traffic around you, especially a semi, then you're an idiot.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
EvenSteven
Banned
Rep

Drives: '11 m3

You ain't da boss of me, I'm immortal!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
Endless619
DHS
Spain
Rep

Drives: 2014 Range Rover Black Edition

Garage List
Quote:
I agree and honestly some states license should not be honored in other states, period.

I can list a number of states licenses that should not be allowed to drive in California. Sorry but the majority of bad drivers come from the east coast from my experiences. Oh well….
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #20
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
November is also the #1 month for deer collisions since it is their mating season. Pay attention to your surroundings.
Well if they're doing it in the middle of the road, should I watch, or avert my eyes?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #21
sunsweet
Captain
Rep

Drives: '13 ZCP factory order

I find that news headline quite despicable. It should have said 2 dead, especially since the other person was killed by no fault of his own. He was no football star.

If trucks had been taken off the roads 30 years ago and replaced by massively more efficient and economical railway transportation like they have been in other industrialized developed nations then our highways would be much safer and carbon emission from traffic cut by more than half. Unfortunately the truck industry, and oil industry lobby has prevented the govt from engaging in R&D for railway networks and their electrically powered clean, powerful and hyper fast technology. Yet another win for the greediness of a very few and the let down of practically everyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #22
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep

Drives: a lot

IMO I think the real problem (as stated countless times above me) is that the driving tests are absolute jokes.

In Georgia you get your permit at 15 (parent or 21+ has to be with you when driving) and to get a permit you have to take a multiple choice test. Now, if you're really into driving like I was/am I was really keen on getting the hang of it and being a superb driver. Dad literally took me on the highway first day I got my permit and the very next day my uncle told me to drive into the middle of Atlanta

To get your license you have to be 16 and have your permit for a year and 1 day to get your license. And a road test is given.

Let me tell you how big of a joke this test was. Drove for a total of 20 minutes. On back roads that had a minimum speed of 25 and maximum of 35. No higher. You could opt out of doing parallel parking and lose 5 points. Passing was a 75....one 3 point turn and some back road driving later I came back and passed with a 99. One point taken off for crossing over a solid white line while going into the turning lane.

Point being is that the test is not extensive. At. All.

Oh. And my test administrator was texting the entire time....
W219 CLS 63 ////AMG [Black/Black]
Appreciate 0