BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Steve Thomas BMW

11-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #23
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
I find it funny how most people can't give a straight compliment to this car when in fact it is deserved.
it deserves compliments for its performance numbers. if it were only numbers that mattered then we would have something.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #24
Da Hapa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Unbelievable performance and proof that the GTR remains relevant and extremely impressive. But I'm still not interested. I still think it's ugly and don't care how fast it is around a race track... I prefer my cars to have a proper clutch pedal. And yes, I know I'm a dinosaur.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #25
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
it deserves compliments for its performance numbers. if it were only numbers that mattered then we would have something.
So what else matters besides numbers? And if numbers don't matter, then why do all car manufactureres besides Nissan spend millions of dollars testing their cars on various tracks to make sure they are the fastest? Why did Pagani cheat and put racing tires on the Huayra for the Top Gear Powerlap? Why does Ferrari carefully rig any comparison test by car journalists to make sure their cars are the fastest? Just read what Chris harris said a couple of years ago about Ferrari's antics for example.

I'm so glad I don't go to any BMW car meets or associate with the BMW "community" given all the snobbish idiots on this forum. If it was BMW or Porsche that did this lap time on the Ring everyone would be having an orgasm and leaving white stains on their keyboards. But because it was a lowly Nissan that did it, all the idiots are looking for ways to diss the car and dismiss its accomplishments.

Nissan deserves nothing but a big for their efforts. While Nissan was lighting up the Ring in those 7 minutes, our friends at a certain "ultimate driving machine" company were debating how many M badges they would need to put on non-M cars to peel people's eyes away from staring at the inflated sticker price on the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #26
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

you are correct bmw and porsche have lost their way somewhat and diluted the brand in this generation appealing to the masses rather than making the ultimate cars. porsche and bmw were so special because they made what they claimed they did in the past. cars for real drivers. thats why you see 911s particularly gt3s being the fastest thing at most track days. gtrs show up rarely and are driven by people who can go fast without actually being fast themselves.

i dont want a new bmw or porsche either for similar reasons i dont want a gtr. gtr just beat the world to computer controlled numbers as you put it and now world is following suit because unfortunaly to the masses that dont have a clue thats what is most important. they cant actually lap the ring in 7:08 or turn a good lap anywhere else but can brag that if someone who actually knew what they were doing was driving it could, who cares. mod the driver not the car.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #27
IzzyGray
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedaddictM3 View Post

I'm so glad I don't go to any BMW car meets or associate with the BMW "community" given all the snobbish idiots on this forum. If it was BMW or Porsche that did this lap time on the Ring everyone would be having an orgasm and leaving white stains on their keyboards. But because it was a lowly Nissan that did it, all the idiots are looking for ways to diss the car and dismiss its accomplishments.

Nissan deserves nothing but a big for their efforts. While Nissan was lighting up the Ring in those 7 minutes, our friends at a certain "ultimate driving machine" company were debating how many M badges they would need to put on non-M cars to peel people's eyes away from staring at the inflated sticker price on the windshield.

No need to clump everyone into the snobbish BMW community. No one is saying it's not an accomplishment, but a few are saying (IN THEIR OPINION), the looks don't do it for them. Don't take it so defensively. Frankly I don't mind the looks of the GTR. It's probably not the car I'd take to a suit/tie kind of meeting/event but I wouldn't kick it out of bed either.

And people will nitpick about their own brands as well. Look at how many don't like the M3/M4 even though its numbers are supposed to be better than the outgoing M3. And these are coming from rabid BMW fans.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #28
E92M3GT
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Incredible what Nissan has achieved with the GT-R !
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #29
pfl
Private
Rep

Drives: Many

The pricing is rumored to be around $150K for the NISMO edition. A bit too high IMHO but nothing comes close to its time for the same money (or twice and triple as much). Go NISMO!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #30
bluekn8286
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2011 E92 BMW M3 Dinan S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfl View Post
The pricing is rumored to be around $150K for the NISMO edition. A bit too high IMHO but nothing comes close to its time for the same money (or twice and triple as much). Go NISMO!!!
Agreed! Even at 150,000 it is a bargain! This car is supposed to 0-60 in 2 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Basically, all other cars on the market (including most hypercars) will see its tail lights. Go Nissan!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #31
pfl
Private
Rep

Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekn8286 View Post
Agreed! Even at 150,000 it is a bargain! This car is supposed to 0-60 in 2 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Basically, all other cars on the market (including most hypercars) will see its tail lights. Go Nissan!
Actually the 2 second 0-60 was a rumor and seems to not be confirmed or even hinted at by NISMO or NISSAN. I think the 0-60 will not change much from the '14 DBA's timing... maybe .1 or .2 quicker max.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #32
Mthrice
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 e92M3 AW/BLK CF roof 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedaddictM3 View Post
yet all the snobbish idiots here think of is how "ugly" it is. Excuse me?????
Im in the middle of purchasing a GTR, the body kit is still ugly! Its an opinion, I think were allowed to have them
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #33
KEYON
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '14 RS5

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.83]
Impressive time by Nissan and Nismo.. But it's still a GT-R and they somehow managed to make it even uglier. I hope the new GT-R generation looks better.

Oh and the GT3RS stickers and wheels and etc aren't orange, they are red..
I would GLADLY have one over a GTR and just because you won't, doesn't make you or me wrong. It's just a matter of opinion, so relax. Don't turn another non-german car thread into bashing Porsche or BMW. You look stupid. I hope one day you can be happy and get the Japanese or American car of your dreams.

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #34
Ghetto2315
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: Like I Stole It...

Garage List
Confirmed Video of Lap Time:

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #35
UnaBomber
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2012 X5, 2010 GTR

Quote:
gtrs show up rarely and are driven by people who can go fast without actually being fast themselves.
this makes me laugh and really makes speedaddictM3's point about the snobbish BMW community so true

these generalizations are hilarious. Of the 50 or so gtr owners ive met on the race track over the years i would be a high number of them would be faster at the track than most people in their own cars

Last edited by UnaBomber; 11-19-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #36
UnaBomber
Second Lieutenant
Rep

supposed color options
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #37
UnaBomber
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #38
rjd598
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 10' M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
i agree and that's why i said most people. my point is that everyone has to comment on its look which alot of people think are bad. ok great we get it. either don't reply or give it some real constructive criticism. i gave the zr1 alot of respect for its performance numbers but never went around saying its interior is plastic shit or something like that.
      11-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #39
Sapper_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaBomber
Quote:
gtrs show up rarely and are driven by people who can go fast without actually being fast themselves.
this makes me laugh and really makes speedaddictM3's point about the snobbish BMW community so true

these generalizations are hilarious. Of the 50 or so gtr owners ive met on the race track over the years i would be a high number of them would be faster at the track than most people in their own cars

You complain about generalization, and the first line of your post is to hop on the "BMW Community is a bunch of snobs!" bandwagon.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #40
UnaBomber
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3 View Post

You complain about generalization, and the first line of your post is to hop on the "BMW Community is a bunch of snobs!" bandwagon.
i am a BMW owner and snob myself. Just calling a spade a spade
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #41
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthrice View Post
Im in the middle of purchasing a GTR, the body kit is still ugly! Its an opinion, I think were allowed to have them
I actually happen to agree that the GTR isn't a fine looking car in terms of styling. But this is beating a dead horse. It has already been debated to death in the 5 years the car has been out. Does it have to be mentioned again in every single thread about the GTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYON View Post
Impressive time by Nissan and Nismo.. But it's still a GT-R and they somehow managed to make it even uglier. I hope the new GT-R generation looks better.
No argument from me about the styling since I agree it isn't very appealing. But form follows function and all the aero additions actually make the car go faster. It's not like some ricer bought a cheap wing off ebay and put it on his Civic But what does your statement mean about it still being a GTR? What did you expect it to be? An alien ship?
Quote:
Oh and the GT3RS stickers and wheels and etc aren't orange, they are red..
I would GLADLY have one over a GTR and just because you won't, doesn't make you or me wrong. It's just a matter of opinion, so relax. Don't turn another non-german car thread into bashing Porsche or BMW. You look stupid. I hope one day you can be happy and get the Japanese or American car of your dreams.

Red, orange. Makes no difference. My point was that many people who bash the GTR for its alleged boy racer image are being hypocritical, because they would happily drive a GT3RS despite it being just as boy racerish with all those crazy coloured body parts, wheels, seatbelts, racing stripes, giant wing, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #42
Sapper_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaBomber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3 View Post

i am a BMW owner and snob myself. Just calling a spade a spade
Well fair enough; take it easy on the rest of us though.

The BMW Community certainly has its share of snobs, but we're not all in that boat. Some of us are legitimately car enthusiasts, and M3Post happens to be one of the best online car forums on the web.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #43
Law
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Drives: E46 M3 6MT | E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
still such an ugly car
| HKS | KW | RECARO | RAYS |
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #44
Alex07M3
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Sorry all to disagree but I personnaly think this GT-R looks really good , I never really loved the look of the R35, always thought they were a bit plane and weard looking but this one, I love the body kit, wheels and spoiler, it just looks badass and judging by the ring time, it is also functionnal!! Congrats Nissan on making such an incredibly fast machine at such a low cost!!

Last edited by Alex07M3; 11-19-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Appreciate 0