BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
Racewerkz Engineering
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Deep_Blue
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Montego 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: internet

Posts: 332
iTrader: (0)

iPad mini retina surprise release

Every expert i saw said Nov 21. Guess they got the numbers backwards. Wonder how fast it will sell out? Anyone else order already?
Deep_Blue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
 
turbolag's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: .

Posts: 1,124
iTrader: (0)

The mini didn't have retina before?
turbolag is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
quagmire
I am Gundam
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,157
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
The mini didn't have retina before?
No. It had the same specs as the iPad 2( besides the smaller screen). A5 CPU, 1024-by-768 resolution screen, etc.

Now it has the same specs as the iPad Air( the A7 is clocked at 1.3 Ghz though compared to the Air's 1.4 Ghz). So the $100 difference between the iPad Mini and iPad Air gets you pretty much an 1.8" bigger screen.
quagmire is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
 
turbolag's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: .

Posts: 1,124
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
No. It had the same specs as the iPad 2( besides the smaller screen). A5 CPU, 1024-by-768 resolution screen, etc.

Now it has the same specs as the iPad Air( the A7 is clocked at 1.3 Ghz though compared to the Air's 1.4 Ghz). So the $100 difference between the iPad Mini and iPad Air gets you pretty much an 1.8" bigger screen.
Eh.

My 3rd gen retina is still being used, I honestly like the back design more (not liking slate grey, etc, and I like the curves). iOS 7 sometimes screws with the touchscreen, but it's decent.

I'e been intrigued by the iPad mini, though. Carrying around something smaller might be nice.
turbolag is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
amanda hor$t
Banned
 
Drives: a380
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ny ny

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

it's strange that ipad 2 is still the starter model while ipad retina is gone.
amanda hor$t is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
dreamingat30fps
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 335i (RIP) - 2006 Z4MR
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boynton Beach

Posts: 896
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda hor$t View Post
it's strange that ipad 2 is still the starter model while ipad retina is gone.
I read somewhere that the reason they came out with that silent launch of the iPad 4 which was basically a retina with better processor like 6 months after the retina was that there were issues being reported that the processor on the original retina was having issues on certain games etc with the retina screen. So they had to bump up the specs.

I rarely use mine these days so I wont be upgrading for a while.
dreamingat30fps is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
amanda hor$t
Banned
 
Drives: a380
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ny ny

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I read somewhere that the reason they came out with that silent launch of the iPad 4 which was basically a retina with better processor like 6 months after the retina was that there were issues being reported that the processor on the original retina was having issues on certain games etc with the retina screen. So they had to bump up the specs.

I rarely use mine these days so I wont be upgrading for a while.
i just got an lv cover for my ipad a6x retina, nowhere near done with this setup. probably not much of an upgrade anyway if the a6x got discontinued already.
amanda hor$t is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
 
turbolag's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: .

Posts: 1,124
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I read somewhere that the reason they came out with that silent launch of the iPad 4 which was basically a retina with better processor like 6 months after the retina was that there were issues being reported that the processor on the original retina was having issues on certain games etc with the retina screen. So they had to bump up the specs.

I rarely use mine these days so I wont be upgrading for a while.
I find that the original retina is fine. I don't 'game' on it though, I use it as a ebook reader, social networking, etc. Got a real console for gaming.
turbolag is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
quagmire
I am Gundam
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,157
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
Eh.

My 3rd gen retina is still being used, I honestly like the back design more (not liking slate grey, etc, and I like the curves). iOS 7 sometimes screws with the touchscreen, but it's decent.

I'e been intrigued by the iPad mini, though. Carrying around something smaller might be nice.
I upgraded from an iPad 3 to the Air. It's noticeably lighter and more power efficient due to it using an IGZO screen. The iPad 3/4 had a mammoth 42.5 whr battery( which was bigger than the Macbook Air's battery). The iPad Air has a 32.5 whr battery. Despite that, my Air still gets 13 hours of battery life.

Originally I was going to get a retina iPad Mini when it came out as a xmas gift for my mom. But seeing how the iPad Mini got a price hike to $399, the value for me wasn't there. So I decided to upgrade to the Air and my iPad 3 will go to my mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I read somewhere that the reason they came out with that silent launch of the iPad 4 which was basically a retina with better processor like 6 months after the retina was that there were issues being reported that the processor on the original retina was having issues on certain games etc with the retina screen. So they had to bump up the specs.

I rarely use mine these days so I wont be upgrading for a while.
Yeah the A5X struggled to power the retina display. It was barely able to maintain the iPad 2's performance. The A6X was the SoC the iPad 3 should have had in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda hor$t View Post
i just got an lv cover for my ipad a6x retina, nowhere near done with this setup. probably not much of an upgrade anyway if the a6x got discontinued already.
The A6X was a huge upgrade for the iPad. As stated above, the A5X was barely able to maintain the performance of the iPad 2 powering the retina display. The iPad 3 on Geekbench 3 gets a score of 490. The iPad 4 on geek bench goes up to 1424. That's a good performance jump.

The iPad Mini with the A7 scores 2512. The iPad Air scores 2856.

Last edited by quagmire; 11-12-2013 at 07:09 PM.
quagmire is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
dreamingat30fps
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 335i (RIP) - 2006 Z4MR
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boynton Beach

Posts: 896
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
I find that the original retina is fine. I don't 'game' on it though, I use it as a ebook reader, social networking, etc. Got a real console for gaming.
I don't notice it either which is why I would not upgrade right now. When I do use my iPad its usually in the hottub and I have a very large (aka cheap) water proof case for it so having a slimmer, lighter iPad makes no difference for me.
dreamingat30fps is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-13-2013, 02:50 AM   #11
amanda hor$t
Banned
 
Drives: a380
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ny ny

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

i don't like making payments, which is how most ipad games work. if i'm buying a game i want to buy the entire game up front.

btw, anyone know why the site keeps crashing?
amanda hor$t is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
LinkA8A0A
Private
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 76
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Blue View Post
Every expert i saw said Nov 21. Guess they got the numbers backwards. Wonder how fast it will sell out? Anyone else order already?
Ordered one for my wife on the 12th, it's in HK right now, scheduled for delivery on Tuesday the 19th.
LinkA8A0A is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST