BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches
 
Vorsteiner
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
iron_man
do you even lift?
iron_man's Avatar
9
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: '08 e92 m3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: new orleans

iTrader: (0)

Omega Seamaster or Rolex Submariner?

Looking at picking up one of these soon I just don't know which one to go with... any advice?
__________________
08 E92 M3 l Jet Black l C/F roof l 6speed l Technology Package l Megan Racing axleback
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
FL335
Your Drinkin' Buddy!
FL335's Avatar
5
Rep
397
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Florida Beaches

iTrader: (0)

I have a seamster..the previous model..Bond Chronograph and a GMT II. The Rolex is far better quality….it just fits better too.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
dr.mba
Second Lieutenant
Canada
5
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: 2011 535i Sport Package
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

This is a no brainer... The omega just pales in comparison

MBA
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
Medal
Second Lieutenant
9
Rep
248
Posts

Drives: 2013 335xi M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I just picked this up and think it compares and for half the price roughly...not saying at all that the rolex is not a quality time piece that I would pass on if I was able to swing it at this time, but I LOVE my Omega SMP 300m ceramic.
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
1MOREMOD
2015 Track Days - 3|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
229
Rep
13,939
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

i have the sea dweller and there is no doubt it is a quality piece but unsure if its really worth the money. if i did it over again i may save the money and buy a seamaster and spend the rest on bfg R1s and cobalt xr1s.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
claykin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
26
Rep
1,963
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Both models have been in production for many years. Depends on what year you are purchasing. Some are more valuable/desirable than others.
__________________
2014 335i MSport AW
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
JimmyD
Jimmy D. 2011 F-10 550i Sport, Black Sapphire
JimmyD's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: 2011 F-10 550i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: S.C.

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Submariner

I just bought the Sub a few weeks ago with date, from an authorized dealer, you can get it for as low as 7695. Without date 6700. I am happy with it, especially the adjustable stainless band is very useful. I was going to get a Tag Carrera at first but I knew deep down inside I'd always want to trade up to a Rolex one day, so I just waited and got the Rolex.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
JimmyD
Jimmy D. 2011 F-10 550i Sport, Black Sapphire
JimmyD's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: 2011 F-10 550i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: S.C.

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medal View Post
I just picked this up and think it compares and for half the price roughly...not saying at all that the rolex is not a quality time piece that I would pass on if I was able to swing it at this time, but I LOVE my Omega SMP 300m ceramic.
Very nice watch!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #9
1MOREMOD
2015 Track Days - 3|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
229
Rep
13,939
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
I just bought the Sub a few weeks ago with date, from an authorized dealer, you can get it for as low as 7695. Without date 6700. I am happy with it, especially the adjustable stainless band is very useful. I was going to get a Tag Carrera at first but I knew deep down inside I'd always want to trade up to a Rolex one day, so I just waited and got the Rolex.
what is the difference between a submariner and sea dweller? i know the date isnt fish eye and has the escape valve on the sea dweller is that about it. reason i ask is i got one from an authorized dealer last year never sold for 5300.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 11:38 PM   #10
JimmyD
Jimmy D. 2011 F-10 550i Sport, Black Sapphire
JimmyD's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: 2011 F-10 550i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: S.C.

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
what is the difference between a submariner and sea dweller? i know the date isnt fish eye and has the escape valve on the sea dweller is that about it. reason i ask is i got one from an authorized dealer last year never sold for 5300.
I believe the Sea Dweller is now called the Deepsea, the watch is 44mm and much bigger than the Sub which is 40mm, you probably got it so cheap because it is the older model, but you got a great deal, I beleve the Deepsea costs around 10 grand list.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
se15679875
New Member
1
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: Z4 35i DCT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Vancouver/Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Do you want generic status symbol #1 or generic status symbol #2?

Unless you're just boundlessly passionate about watches (which is maybe like .01% of the population) the only reason you would want to get either of these two watches is because they are status symbols.

So the next question you have to ask yourself is who do you want recognizing your watch? Rolex tends to have broader brand recognition among average people. If an average person sees or even hears the name "Rolex" they automatically think you're rolling in millions of dollars even though statistically speaking you probably aren't (while most multimillionaires wear rolexes, most people who wear rolexes aren't multimillionaires).

If you want your watch to project wealth to a broad range of people, get the Rolex. If you don't mind the fact that some average people may not even recognize "Omega" as a "status symbol" brand, then get the Omega.

Beyond that it's really about aesthetics and how the watch fits you (although again there are plenty of watches out there that look almost exactly the same as these watches for 1/10 of the price but the brands aren't perceived as status symbols).
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #12
1MOREMOD
2015 Track Days - 3|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
229
Rep
13,939
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
I believe the Sea Dweller is now called the Deepsea, the watch is 44mm and much bigger than the Sub which is 40mm, you probably got it so cheap because it is the older model, but you got a great deal, I beleve the Deepsea costs around 10 grand list.
Yeah I went in with the plan to get the deep sea but didn't like how tall the case was and got the sea dweller instead. It is an older model out of date by 4 years I believe but was never sold so still new watch.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 02:53 AM   #13
z4ps
Lieutenant
z4ps's Avatar
6
Rep
490
Posts

Drives: F32 M4
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Socal

iTrader: (13)

No brainer.
Get Submariner
__________________
2013 BMW X1-35I
2013 BMW 535I
2013 BMW 335IS
2015 BMW M4
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
jlspeed29
Major
jlspeed29's Avatar
78
Rep
1,173
Posts

Drives: 13 C300 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BOS now..formerly SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [4.00]
the rolex will hold its value and even potentially increase.... IIRC
__________________
Retired: 08E92xZSPxSTYLE230xSADDLExPDCxPADDLExCOMFORT/JB3 tune
Current: 13 w204/white/sport/dynamica-amg interior/multimedia/rear roof spoiler/trunk spoiler/heated seats

A fisherman always sees another fisherman from afar
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #15
drchuck72
First Lieutenant
drchuck72's Avatar
Canada
5
Rep
393
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
I believe the Sea Dweller is now called the Deepsea, the watch is 44mm and much bigger than the Sub which is 40mm, you probably got it so cheap because it is the older model, but you got a great deal, I beleve the Deepsea costs around 10 grand list.
The Deepsea Sea Dweller has a 42mm dial. It wears quite a bit bigger than the Submariner because it is also quite a bit thicker. The Sub has maximum depth of 300m (or 1000ft). The DSSD can go down to 3000ft.

At 42mm, it is the largest watch that Rolex makes (other than those crazy one off Sea Dwellers that are good to 12000ft). The Explorer II also has a 42mm dial but isn't as thick. The new Datejusts and Day Dates are 41mm.
__________________
DR CHUCK
2009 E92 M3 Le Mans Blau on Schwartz. DCT. RAC RG63, KW V3, Eisenmann Race, AP Racing, Vorsteiner GTS5 Front Bumper, Vorsteiner GTS-V Rear Diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #16
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
Moxie's Avatar
Germany
25
Rep
1,860
Posts

Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Stuttgart

iTrader: (11)

335 or M3? Get the Rolex.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #17
carzaddict
Major
32
Rep
1,239
Posts

Drives: M-Sport 328i X-drive
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

im a rolex fanboy....but all biases aside, I think the Sub looks better, less busy and more classy than the Omega.

especially if you do one with a date, something about the way that date bubble sticks out, its a real treat
__________________
2013 328i Estoril Blue/Black Dakota Leather, X-drive, M-Sport, Cold Weather, Tech Package, PDC, Backup cam, Sport Auto Transmission (coded) - BMS Stage 1
2012 Jaguar XJL
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #18
jqsmooth
Captain
jqsmooth's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
643
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (1)

Rolex. Have the Omega, hope to get Rolex one day...
__________________
2011 E92 l SSII l Fox Red l ZP2 l ZCW l ZCV l 19" l 6MT l DDC l EPS
2012 Toyota Prius C(my new daily).
2002 Nissan Pathfinder - 301.6K and Junked.
2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Rolled & Totalled.
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood - RIP.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #19
tlp
Colonel
tlp's Avatar
United_States
80
Rep
2,105
Posts

Drives: '11 e92 M3 SG/FR
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 BMW e92 M3  [4.55]
I love both of my PO's.
__________________
My Coding Journal
Current - '11 e92 M3 SG/FR ZCP|ZCV|ZP2|2MK|494|415|6NR|752
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #20
1MOREMOD
2015 Track Days - 3|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
229
Rep
13,939
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchuck72 View Post
The Deepsea Sea Dweller has a 42mm dial. It wears quite a bit bigger than the Submariner because it is also quite a bit thicker. The Sub has maximum depth of 300m (or 1000ft). The DSSD can go down to 3000ft.

At 42mm, it is the largest watch that Rolex makes (other than those crazy one off Sea Dwellers that are good to 12000ft). The Explorer II also has a 42mm dial but isn't as thick. The new Datejusts and Day Dates are 41mm.
deep sea is 44mm and regular sea dweller is 40mm
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #21
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
TSM330i's Avatar
United_States
84
Rep
3,166
Posts

Drives: E90 330i, E86 Z4 3.0si
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester Springs, PA

iTrader: (2)

My first Rolex was a Submariner Date and I wore it almost daily for 10 years. I then got a Daytona and decided to sell it. It was never even serviced and kept perfect time and I made a profit when I sold it.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with the Sub. It wears like iron and has a great feel on the wrist. You can dress it up or down and isn't gaudy or too blingy.
__________________
2006 330i, TSM, Black, Sport, JIC Cross Coil-Overs, UUC Sways, 18" Advan RS, Mich PSS 255/265, BMW Electric Steering Wheel, Rogue shifter, M-Tech front, CF emblems, Dinan TB, Intake, exhaust, strut bar, Stoptech BBK, LSD, M3 susp., LUX 5, CF Hood and CSL, Sparco Seats, AA tune, CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #22
RR-NYC
Second Lieutenant
7
Rep
290
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NYC / Miami

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by se15679875 View Post
Do you want generic status symbol #1 or generic status symbol #2?

Unless you're just boundlessly passionate about watches (which is maybe like .01% of the population) the only reason you would want to get either of these two watches is because they are status symbols.

So the next question you have to ask yourself is who do you want recognizing your watch? Rolex tends to have broader brand recognition among average people. If an average person sees or even hears the name "Rolex" they automatically think you're rolling in millions of dollars even though statistically speaking you probably aren't (while most multimillionaires wear rolexes, most people who wear rolexes aren't multimillionaires).

If you want your watch to project wealth to a broad range of people, get the Rolex. If you don't mind the fact that some average people may not even recognize "Omega" as a "status symbol" brand, then get the Omega.

Beyond that it's really about aesthetics and how the watch fits you (although again there are plenty of watches out there that look almost exactly the same as these watches for 1/10 of the price but the brands aren't perceived as status symbols).
There is no data that supports your assertion that there are more non-millionaire Rolex owners vs millionaire owners.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:20 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST